Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2013 1:03:37 PM EDT
Fond this randomly on the net

" A Cartridge Catcher, Designed to Keep Spent Cartridges from Striking the Airman or his Ship when Firing at the Enemy."

Back in the early days of WW1 when the first air crews started arming themselves with pistols and bolt action rifles to shoot at other enemy artillery spotters up in the air.

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good for reloaders too. I wonder if someone is selling them on the internet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Can the catcher be mounted on one's forehead? That's where my Kimber likes to throw brass just to mess with me!
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Extended mag?
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would bet that lasted about as long as it took the shooter to "accidentally" drop the stupid thing over the side of the ship or airplane.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Extended mag?

Made for WW1 airplane use. VERY hard to find a real one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
somewhere there was a kid wondering where his parakeet went to.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Extended mag?

Made for WW1 airplane use. VERY hard to find a real one.

They were trench mags.   Already in production, just modified for air use
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#9]
That was in that eerie period when aircraft didn't have mounted guns and chivalry still ruled the air. Didn't last long. After they took to shooting at each other with small arms it quickly escalated to fully-armed dogfights.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:43:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Where does one acquire several of these trench mags?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That was in that eerie period when aircraft didn't have mounted guns and chivalry still ruled the air. Didn't last long. After they took to shooting at each other with small arms it quickly escalated to fully-armed dogfights.

I imagine this is how it went

"Well winston ol chap, how was your flight today"

"Charles the darnedest thing happened, there I was having a leisurely flight across the battlefield waving to all of our teutonic friends of the sky that we pass by every day when some hun bastard pulled a pistol and started shooting at me"

" Well that is rather unsporting like if I do say so myself"

" I guess we won't be inviting them over for tea anymore"
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was also under the impression the cloth on the aircraft was so flammable that spent casings could catch it on fire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine this is how it went

"Well winston ol chap, how was your flight today"

"Charles the darnedest thing happened, there I was having a leisurely flight across the battlefield waving to all of our teutonic friends of the sky that we pass by every day when some hun bastard pulled a pistol and started shooting at me"

" Well that is rather unsporting like if I do say so myself"

" I guess we won't be inviting them over for tea anymore"

sad thing is that they were all cousins twice removed at most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top