Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2012 3:36:17 PM EDT
Is there a set number of rounds fired when I should adjust tension on the extractor? My SA Champion flings brass all over the place. Granted it flings the brass out with authority but it's throwing them from the 2:00 position to the 5:00 with no set pattern. The gun functions perfectly so I am hesitant to mess with it since it is my EDC.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I set extractor tension on my 1911s in .45 up with a Weigand brass pull gauge... at least 16oz and no more than 24oz... magic marker/sharpie ink on the nose of the extractor to make sure it does not bump the barrel... I modify the inner bearing pad, radius and polish the hook, and lock in place with an oversize firing pin stop...

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is there a set number of rounds fired when I should adjust tension on the extractor? My SA Champion flings brass all over the place. Granted it flings the brass out with authority but it's throwing them from the 2:00 position to the 5:00 with no set pattern. The gun functions perfectly so I am hesitant to mess with it since it is my EDC.

are they hitting you in the forehead? If not your good to go.......
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

are they hitting you in the forehead? If not your good to go.......

I did have one hit me in the top of the head today. That's the first time it's happened. It skipped right off the top of my cap.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#4]
do you have an extended ejector installed?....you can somewhat direct ejected brass with the angle of the ejector nose... make sure that the firing pin stop does not allow the extractor to rotate...
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
do you have an extended ejector installed?....you can somewhat direct ejected brass with the angle of the ejector nose... make sure that the firing pin stop does not allow the extractor to rotate...

How can you tell if it's extended? I'll have to check on the rotating. I don't think it is but I certainly am not going to rule it out.

Link Posted: 9/16/2012 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#6]
see if it extends into the magazine well....there are some specs around on the various angles...I trim mine  a little so I can still eject a live round out of the ejection port... not a good idea with an extended ejector to jack a live round into the air and catch it to impress your friends...if it slips off the extractor hook, or doesn't clear the ejection port, the ejector can hit the primer and set it off...
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
This is how reliability issues are created by users. Extractor tension tightens with use, this has been my observation over time.
I bought a Weigand tool, thinking it would be ideal. It's around here somewhere, not so good a tool. The best method is one Bill Laughridge taught me, spanning extractor across an open set of vice jaws and hitting extractor dead center with a 4oz hammer.

If you obsess over extractor tension I can all but promise you feed failures. If your 1911 feeds and extracts 100% I recommend you leave it alone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is how reliability issues are created by users. Extractor tension tightens with use, this has been my observation over time.
I bought a Weigand tool, thinking it would be ideal. It's around here somewhere, not so good a tool. The best method is one Bill Laughridge taught me, spanning extractor across an open set of vice jaws and hitting extractor dead center with a 4oz hammer.

If you obsess over extractor tension I can all but promise you feed failures. If your 1911 feeds and extracts 100% I recommend you leave it alone.

If you are able please expand on that please, sounds simple but tention is something I struggle with. I can do it but it takes me forever to get it right.

Link Posted: 9/19/2012 4:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's what I'm planning to do. I figure if I mess with it I may end up causing more harm than good. It functions as it should so that's more important than anything else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top