Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 11:24:43 PM EDT
I want to get a mainspring housing with a magwell and possibly a set of matching grips if they are needed for a standard 1911.  I am worried about everything matching up well.  So far the magwells are the Wilson speed chute, the Ed Brown which has a single screw on the bottom, and a one piece Smith and Alexander regular and slim version.  I like the way the Wilson attaches to the mainspring housing better than the Ed Brown.

What style wood grips work well with each of these brands and styles?  Do I need flat bottom grips?  Exposed or covered mainspring pin?  Thin or thick?  Will the S&A slim version line up with a set or regular taperd bottom grips?

There are lots of pictures of magwells but there is usually no explanation of exactly what brand was used and how much fitting was required to make everything blend together.  The last thing I want is a magwell that sticks out on the sides past my grips.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You're apt to receive more useful responses if you indicate which pistol you have.  This is a great question and could lead to an interesting magwell picture thread.  Plus, you can read some helpful reviews at Brownells and Midway.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
A partial answer.  I recently bought a Baer with the factory two-piece magwell.  Don't know who makes the magwells for Baer, but I assume they're made by one of the mainstream aftermarket manufacturers.  I then bought a set of aftermarket grips from Esmeralda (www.esmeralda.com) that were made for use with magwells. If you go to her website, you'll find that the grips are seperated into "with" and "without" magwell. I assume all of the quality grip makers list their products this way.  She also has an option of with or without ambi safety cut-out.

I was concerned that the grips (kinda expensive) wouldn't fit, but was pleasantly surprised.  The fit was better than the factory grips with no "fitting" requires.  On the other hand, I bought a set of inexpensive grips to use on a pistol that I had installed a magwell/msh on.  The fit was awful and required the removal of a lot of material from the botto, of the grip.

Based on my limited experience, its a toss-up as to whether aftermarket grips are going to fit out-of-the-box, and you're not going to know until you have the parts in-hand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
It is just a stainless Springfield loaded.  Nothing unusual.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Any grips (beveled or flat bottom) will fit, but flat bottom grips will provide a seamless transition to the edges of the magwell.

Beveled bottom:

Flat bottom:

These are regular width grips with the regular S&A magwell.   I don't know if the S&A slim magwell will line up with slim grips.

I don't like the grips that cover the MSH pin hole because you have to remove the grips every time if you want to do anything to the internal parts.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Ken_mays, how much of a shelf or ledge is there at the bottom of those Springfiels factory grips?  They are angle cut at the bottom but the magwell has a straight edge.  How does it look from a view above the slide?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#6]
S&A magwells are well liked.  I'm not a big fan of the Wilson Combat combo.  Here's mine with the Springfield model:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
i got a Smith Alexander slim magwell. had a heck of a time finding slim, flat bottomed grips to match. more specifically i was looking for ambi-cut as well as having the mainspring pin covered. called around and not too many vendors had what i wanted for a reasonable price.

on a whim, called Smith and Alexander and inquired about their grips as their website is severely lacking. Lady on the phone was extremely nice. was able to get a pair of walnut "shooter" grips which she described as plain walnut, no varnish, nothing fancy...for about 25 bucks shipped.
they're checkered and were exactly what i was looking for. mate up with the slim mag well almost perfectly. I did have to do a bit of sanding near the bottom rear corners, kind of dogged up the checkering a little. but i'm ok with that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Ahrends Combat Checkered Cocobolo grips.

Springfield

Fusion

S&A

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#9]
S&A, Springfield, Fusion

Fusion, Springfield, S&A
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#10]
S&A and Alumagrips
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Fusion MSH on a GI Springer with Hogue grips

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to get a mainspring housing with a magwell and possibly a set of matching grips if they are needed for a standard 1911.  I am worried about everything matching up well.  So far the magwells are the Wilson speed chute, the Ed Brown which has a single screw on the bottom, and a one piece Smith and Alexander regular and slim version.  I like the way the Wilson attaches to the mainspring housing better than the Ed Brown.

What style wood grips work well with each of these brands and styles?  Do I need flat bottom grips?  Exposed or covered mainspring pin?  Thin or thick?  Will the S&A slim version line up with a set or regular taperd bottom grips?

There are lots of pictures of magwells but there is usually no explanation of exactly what brand was used and how much fitting was required to make everything blend together.  The last thing I want is a magwell that sticks out on the sides past my grips.

I only have experience with 2 different MSH w/Magwells.  1st pic is an Ed Brown Chainlink Flat MSH with removable maxi-well, on a Kimber 5" Raptor w/VZ Alien G10 grips.  No exposed MSH pin hole.  The Alien grips have deep recesses in them near the bottom, so they don't fill the bottom edge along the maxi-well 100%.

The second pic is a Kimber 1 piece Arched MSH on a 4" Pro TLE w/VZ Double Diamond G10 grips.  The MSH pin hole is exposed and the Double Diamonds fill the bottom edge completely flush with the magwell.  Danno - Excellent pics.

Neither MSH required fitting, 100% drop in.
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/C1911/e4467c69.jpg
http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff366/C1911/b1b4aa2b.jpg
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Was that S&A polished or fitted more than the others?  Dang, it looks nice!
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, that is my TGO-1

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw this on another forum.

Slim and regular S&A magwells.

and here's a photo of my TGO-1 (with slim grips) next to my Trophy Match and Loaded.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Danno_man, you're being very helpful.  Those were some of the angles I was unsure about.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#17]
No problem.  I usually have a pic for something.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#18]
The only thing that concerns me with the S&A is the fact that it comes with 20lpi checkering.  I really wish it was 25lpi.  Do you have any reservations about the connecting hardware used on the Ed Brown style magwell?  It appears that Fusion and SA use the same screw style set up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#19]
the magwells that have a screw all come loose.  i have to tighten them every few range visits.  
Loctite would probably prevent that though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Stupid question.....these are all user installable, correct?  In other words, you don't need a smith to do this?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stupid question.....these are all user installable, correct?  In other words, you don't need a smith to do this?

Correct
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the magwells that have a screw all come loose.  i have to tighten them every few range visits.  
Loctite would probably prevent that though.

1 drop of Loctite is all you need, 500+ rounds and it still feels welded to the MSH.  However, I still prefer a 1-piece, as it just appears to blend much better.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any grips (beveled or flat bottom) will fit, but flat bottom grips will provide a seamless transition to the edges of the magwell.

Beveled A magwell.   I don't know if the S&A slim magwell will line up with slim grips.

I don't like the grips that cover the MSH pin hole because you have to remove the grips every time if you want to do anything to the internal parts.

So what grips are those...and is that skateboard tape or something else on the front strap? Nice looking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beveled A magwell.   I don't know if the S&A slim magwell will line up with slim grips.

So what grips are those...and is that skateboard tape or something else on the front strap? Nice looking.

Those are VZ paper micarta Gatorbacks.   Skateboard tape on the frontstrap.  The other photo is the same gun after I sold it and checkered the frontstrap @ 20 lpi for the new owner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Knight Hawk MSH with some VZ Operators up top and MILTAC on bottom

I know there is no grip screws it was just for some pics
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I think I am going to order a 20 lpi checkered S&A magwell and a set of Ahrends full checker, cocobolo, flat bottom, pin covering grips.  Whew, that's a lot of adjectives.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, so I'll just say "dammit ken. I want that 9mm!"

That  is all,
a-bare

Link Posted: 5/5/2011 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread, so I'll just say "dammit ken. I want that 9mm!"

That  is all,
a-bare

If you had it, you'd probably be as disgusted with it as I was.   Shoots pretty well now, though, with the addition of a Kart barrel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That  is all,
a-bare

If you had it, you'd probably be as disgusted with it as I was.   Shoots pretty well now, though, with the addition of a Kart barrel.

What was wrong with it?  That is the same model I have on order.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 5:42:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Primer shear, stovepiping, failure to lock back the mag, and would always throw a couple of flyers even after I replaced the loose factory bushing with a fitted one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Primer shear, stovepiping, failure to lock back the mag, and would always throw a couple of flyers even after I replaced the loose factory bushing with a fitted one.

TRAIN WRECK!
Link Posted: 5/6/2011 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well, hopefully I won't have those problems.  I went today to do the 4473 and I get to pick it up on Thursday.  It looked good to my untrained eye.  Fit and finish were not immediately different than my Colt that supposedly came out of the custom shop.  I did get the impression that this gun was nicer than the SA loaded I had about 10 years ago.  This is also an LE package gun so maybe they put a little extra effort into making it all properly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2011 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#33]
On my older Kimber that I have been shooting USPSA and IDPA with I use a combo of a S&A Magwell with the Les Baer flat bottom cocobolo grip that also cover the MSH pin. I like the look alot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top