Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2013 3:03:13 PM EDT
Hey guys! Im really new to makarovs. I recently revieved one as a gift and did started doing some research. I found out that its german and made in 62. It has some pitting on the slide and i really want to get it restored. Is that possible? if so, do you know of any companies that can do it?
thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
How bad are the pits?

You can polish them out.  It doesn't really get rid of them, but minimizes their apperance by smoothing them out.    You can TIG weld them, but that would be expensive for a $300 gun.

If they aren't too bad, I would polish them out, then do one of oven baked finishes.  Good news is that the Mak is probably the easiest gun ever to detail strip.  As far as sending it out, it would probably cost half what the gun is worth and not add any value to the gun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
ill see if i can get a picture up within the next day or so, but they are pretty deep and some of the pitting is on texture portions of the gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was imported in that condition, keep it as is and enjoy the character it brings to the piece.

If it is the result of abuse by some Stateside fucktard, keep it as is for a carry piece that you won't mind getting dinged-up.

You can spend a bunch of money polishing and refinishing the thing but it will destroy ANY collector value left in the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top