Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2013 5:27:16 AM EDT
I have a chance to purchase 2 pistols stamped FEG Hungain PA63 in 9x18 and the owner says they are Marrovs.  I have been reading alot of theads in here trying to get some knowledge on these and so far have come up with that they are not Makrovs and more of a Walter PPK type pistol.  

The owner wants $400 for 2 of these pistols, 2 holsters, 1300+ rounds of mixed Wolf, Hornday and surplus ammo and a couple of mags.  First off is that a decent price?  

From what I have read so far about these not being Makrovs can spare mags be bought at a cheap price?  Anything I should know about these guns?  Owner says that they are pretty accurate.

Any information that you could provide would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like my PA63.  I would grab those fast for $400 including the ammo.  The mags are getting expensive.  However, not much more than other pistol mags.  Check eBay or Gunbroker for the mags and to get an idea about the cost.  I would say mine is accurate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy buy buy!
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
At a recent gun show the ammo was $21.99 for 50 rounds. The owner may have bought it some time ago but he still paid around $7.00 for 50 rounds. The ammo is worth 7 X 26 boxes or 182 bucks.. That leaves 218 for the pistols or $109 each. That may be the owners break even point but if you went out on the market today the pistols would $169 each and the ammo is like gold right now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry a PA-63 on a daily basis. I trust it. Good, reliable little gun, that feeds empty cases if I ask it to
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]
To answer the OP's question; NO a PA63 is NOT a Makarov. They are chambered in the 9x18 Makarov cartridge and they operate on the same principle as the Makarov and Walther PP pistols but none of the parts will interchange (holsters maybe).

I own a PA63 and it is an interesting and well-built gun for what it is. However, with the alloy frame it has a wicked snappy recoil. Most people upgrade the recoil spring and avoid shooting hot-loaded ammunition.

I will probably get some grief for this next statement but... I do not believe it was a gun intended to be shot a lot. It was designed to be lightweight and easy to manufacture. It is well-built (like most FEG mfg guns) but it has limitations.

That being said. That sounds like a pretty good deal at today's prices. I paid $125 for mine ~10 years ago but the ammunition is currently running ~$200/1000 IF you can find it. The surplus ammo is likely corrosive, so clean accordingly. Also, you may have some duds or hangfires with the surplus stuff (I did).
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
FEG63 should be thought more of as a WaltherPPK clone in 9x18mak caliber.  Different from a "Makarov" pistol.

re: snappy recoil.  privi and hornady ammo is at the upper end, and can be snappy.  silver bear is pleasant.
Definitely get the 15lb recoil spring, and the lighter trigger spring.  pdf manual can be found online.
Wolf springs has those and also replacement mag springs.
I swear privi ammo flung cases into the next county.

If that ammo stash has some 120gr bullets don't shoot those.  They are ok in real maks, but can really overpower the FEG.  
Don't suffer a breakage over that ammo.

Mags are expensive and hard to find.  Thats the only drawback in my view.
I paid $35 ea for the last 2-3 I bought.  In 08 or 09 I got them for $20ea.

If you handload ammo, this pistol becomes a very pleasant, pretty accurate pistol by coming down only a 100fps or so from the top end.
I cut down luger cases and load 95gr berrys over titegroup for about 900-950fps.  bullseye, titegroup and A#2 work best.
If I ever get a custom sizing die, I am going to load 95gr lead bullets.

I use a Bianchi PPK iwb holster for daily carry.

Link Posted: 9/26/2013 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
i daily carry a PA63 that i bought back in the beginning of summer for $200.

i own actual makarov's as well. but the PA63 carries a bit better as it is slimmer.

it is NOT a makarov, but shares only the cartidge 9x18mm. other then that the parts do not interchange.

you have a pretty good deal on your hands.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 2:31:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy that the ammo alone almost seems to be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, BUY IT! I am contemplateing buying one local @ $250 for just a gun and mag.
I own one already, it is absolutely reliable, I got it cheap because it was missing the slide stop spring, the seller couldn't figure out why the slide kept getting locked back and said he thought it needed the feed ramp pollished I had it fixed in about 15 minutes after getting it home.
These things shoot like a laser, VERY ACCURATE!
Yes, it is a close copy of a walther PP (nothing interchanges as far as I know and I've heard it refered to as "of the walther design") My dad called mine a "James Bond gun" when he saw it.

As far as calling it a "makarov", it is a 9mm Makarov caliber, so that is kinda like calling a ruger redhawk in 45 Colt a "45 colt", it is not actually a Colt product.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Just in case you're still following this thread. It's a BUY. The ammo alone is worth $200 plus. As I recall, those pistols have about a 15 pound double action trigger pull. I got some from CDNN a few years back for $100 each and gave them away for Christmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top