Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2011 2:34:33 PM EDT
I went through the hassle of trying to find a nice IWB for my Mak, and came up empty handed.

So I decided to make my own. It makes the Mak a joy to carry.

How do you carry?

Link Posted: 9/2/2011 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Mak and want to use it for carry when I get a ccw. I love the look and reviews of the Crossbreed holsters, but they don't make them for the Mak (their loss really). How did you make it? Right now I have a holster that I was told is from Red Storm and is no longer made, It works great and is very light and thin. I'm just concerned it will wear out once I get the permit and start wearing the pistol often. What you have there looks great!
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Don Hume JIT holster that woks great.  It is OWB, it holds the gun a little high and tight to my body.  They only cost about $28. too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]

However I must warn you that it's not like a conventional holster as I've posted on this forum in the past. It has no retention other than your belt (which works pretty well if you wear it fairly tight.) However it is EXTREMELY thin and concealable which works well with the Makarov's shape and size. It's easy on and off but the clip has a hook in it that keeps it from coming off unless you want it too...wears well with me anywhere from 2-4:30. I'm 200 lb, 6-ft. Normal build, semi-athletic. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I believe I've had it for a year and half.

You have to order by email or phone. It's just a little family business.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3VmD6OV3d4FMGI1MDU0ZmEtZDA5OC00NWZlLThhZmQtYWNjMGQwNmViN2I4&hl=en_US

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Mak and want to use it for carry when I get a ccw. I love the look and reviews of the Crossbreed holsters, but they don't make them for the Mak (their loss really). How did you make it? Right now I have a holster that I was told is from Red Storm and is no longer made, It works great and is very light and thin. I'm just concerned it will wear out once I get the permit and start wearing the pistol often. What you have there looks great!

Thanks!   I actually got help with info from an awesome member here on the forum. There is a huge post here about how to form and make kydex. I used that info and made my own Crossbreed. Its actually really easy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/628104_.html&page=23

Look 3/4 the way down that page for Swinksters post.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#5]
any chance you'd like to make a second one

looks awesome.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
any chance you'd like to make a second one

looks awesome.

Thanks, I don't generally sell them, but we might be able to work something out if you are really interested.

Email me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't really carry my Mak, though I do have one of the Russian Holster brand IWB's for it. It is a very well made holster, though it was comfortable enough the couple of times that I did try it out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I have carried mine in a Generic, "cant remember the Brand TripleK maybe" nylon IWB holster many times. A Makarov is the first gun I bought after turning 21, and I carried it for 2-3years once I got my permit. I pick holsters up at the gun shows I told the guy it  was for a Makarov, and he told me what number I needed. It just so happens it is the same size that fits a Kahr CW9 that I carry now in the same holster.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Let us know what you think of it.  I may have to pick one of those up.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let us know what you think of it.  I may have to pick one of those up.

I got it in. Quality was nice, only one problem.........It was fitted for a Cz-82 and I guess they assumed it'd fit a Makarov. Was way too thin.

I had to heat it up and remold it. Now it works great, and I like it. But I don't know if I'd do it again or suggest it. I already talked to the guy...he says I'm still under warranty is something breaks. He's also going to adjust the description on the website.

I suppose if you don't mind the heat work, you might like it too. Carries well....I'll try to snag some pictures at work this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I carried one for years using an Uncle Mike's. It's a thin gun that carries well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2012 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Falco leather holster I used to carry mine in.

It's thick but it worked. Still have it somewhere..
Link Posted: 1/11/2012 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry my Mak IWB in a cheap nylon holster that I modified to make it work better. It is my EDC unless I am going somewhere like Mogidishu, TN (that's Memphis for those not from these parts) and then I carry the S&W 915 AND the Mak as a BUG.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry a Makarov in a pocket holster in my front pocket (with nothing else). I particularly like this set up in the summer when I wear a lot of boating style shorts and T-shirts. At one point in my life, I worked at a marina and this was a perfect carry solution.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Take mine fishing....watch out for the snakehead fish!!

I paid 100 bucks for my Bulgy with two mags.  I had a crap load of Norinco 9x18 ammo.  This gun gives me a reason to shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
uncle mikes foam/neoprene holster in back pocket if wearing long coat or in waistband.

i have a small canvas shoulder bag that i picked up in odessa, ukraine when i was traveling across the country. its just big enough to carry my passport, wallet etc. i find it is also the perfect size to conceal a makarov + extra mag. sog pentagon elite knife and my wallet. plus extra bullets and change.

Link Posted: 6/24/2012 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
when im outside i just use old army ussr holster.
in city i use fobus or contact holster one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]
If you like the crossbreed IWB, order the one for the P-64 and heat it up with
a hair dryer and stick your Marc. in it, compress it with a piece of soft foam
until it cools. Worked great. Carry it every day.
Ever since then I make my own after watching the u-tube's demo's.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#20]
When I carry mine (I switch off between the Makarov and the P-64) I have two holsters...
One is a Fobus paddle holster. It's cheap, but it works.  

The other is a Bianchi 4s IWB that's actually made to fit a Smith and Wesson.  It is a little loose, but over the years it's molded itself nicely.  My only complaint with that is that the thumb strap is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch too long.  Otherwise, it's been a great holster.

Keep in mind, when I bought those, they were pretty much the only CCW holsters made that fit the Makarov decently.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry mine in a holster that www.galatiinternational.com now sells. I bought mine a while back from The Sportsman's Guide. It's called a "Belt Slide Holster" and comes in large or small/medium auto in either black or brown. I use the small/medium and it works well. I like keeping my pistols outside the waistband, but you can use these either way. They have a steel clip forIWB use that can be removed if desired. The item number is PP036 for small/medium brown, PP036BLK for small medium black both sell for $20.95. The large item numbers are PP035 for brown and PP035BLK for black. Those sell for $22.95, plus shipping cost. I've only used the small/medium, but have had good results with it. It's easy to use and not expensive. I also use it with my Taurus 740 slim. Both are about the same size.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n311/LaRueDeeko/Brittanie/0428001436.jpg

However I must warn you that it's not like a conventional holster as I've posted on this forum in the past. It has no retention other than your belt (which works pretty well if you wear it fairly tight.) However it is EXTREMELY thin and concealable which works well with the Makarov's shape and size. It's easy on and off but the clip has a hook in it that keeps it from coming off unless you want it too...wears well with me anywhere from 2-4:30. I'm 200 lb, 6-ft. Normal build, semi-athletic. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it. I believe I've had it for a year and half.

You have to order by email or phone. It's just a little family business.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B3VmD6OV3d4FMGI1MDU0ZmEtZDA5OC00NWZlLThhZmQtYWNjMGQwNmViN2I4&hl=en_US

Nice. Good prices, too! Thanks for the link

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Crossbreed IWB now makes them for the Mak. No modding needed.
It's listed for the Appendix Carry  http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/AppendixCarry.aspx

and the SuperTuck® Deluxe  http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/SuperTuckDeluxe.aspx

I have the Appendix on order. Will post picks soon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a one-off IWB from Looper.  If you want one, they may be able to source out another Mak, but you'd prolly have to do what I did and let them use your pistol for the mold.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Carry my 1964 East German Makarov in 9 X 18 in an Aliengear IWB holster.

Nice little carry gun that shoots well, but moving to my new Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I love carrying my bulgarian mak I pick it as my carry gun over my full size ruger sr9 mostly every day I have a cheap $30 holster I got off ebay I'm not sure of the company. But I carry it right side iwb above my front pocket along with 2 extra mags in my back right side pocket. My girlfriend will be getting one soon too, she loves the mak and we both are pretty accurate with it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I usually carry mine in a cargo pocket in the summer. It's been serving truck gun duty since last fall.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry my east German In a cheap holster  from amazon.  Carries so easily, love it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I pocket carry mine in a blackhawk #4 (prints pretty bad), and sometimes in a Don Hume JIT owb. I am waiting on an iwb from HBE.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#30]
For my PA-63 I carry in a Gould and Goodrich that is just like the JIT. I bought the one for the Sig P230, muzzle sticks out maybe 1/4" at most.27 bucks shipped from Amazon. G&G doesn't make one for the Mak, but Don Hume does make one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Old Faithful makes a iwb holster for the mak. Works well, but I don't carry the mak all that often.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Carry my 1964 East German Makarov in 9 X 18 in an Aliengear IWB holster.

Nice little carry gun that shoots well, but moving to my new Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm for concealed carry.
View Quote

How do you like the AG holster for your Mak? I have one for my G20 and have been very happy with it.
I've been using this modified 1911 holster for my Maks and P83.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I've carried in an OWB Uncle Mike's thumb break holster and its pretty nice. Of course that's for open carry on one's on property or (at least here in TX) next year when we can open carry. It holds a nice grip on the belt and carried an extra mag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I carry my P83 in either a Blackhawk #1 IWB holster or a OWB Bagmaster nylon pancake holster that I modified the stitching on a little.  I like the OWB better but the IWB is faster to put on.  Not as comfortable though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top