Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2011 5:27:40 PM EDT
Does anyone make a HP round that will reliably feed in a Mak or Cz 82. I would like to use one as a backup to a shottie for home protection and am afraid a FMJ will not do the job. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard good things from many CZ82 owners regarding SilverBear ammunition.  SB makes a hollow point 9x18.  That said, an expanding 9x18 risks losing penetration for expansion.
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Hornady makes a HP Mak cal.
Got it from ammotogo.com

I got some but haven't been to the range with them yet.
Everything I have read said to go with FMJ ball.....
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hornady makes a HP Mak cal.
Got it from ammotogo.com

I got some but haven't been to the range with them yet.
Everything I have read said to go with FMJ ball.....

I've had a box of that stuff lying around for a long time. feeds well through my East German Mak very well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
OP,
Maks were not designed for HP and sometimes the feed ramps are a bit rough. A quick polish with some emery was all it took to smooth out my EG Mak and make it 100% with all HP tested. It is loaded with 3 Hornady HPs followed by 5 Buffalo Bore hardcast and I have every confidence in that combination.
Link Posted: 5/21/2011 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Does anyone make a HP round that will reliably feed in a Mak or Cz 82. I would like to use one as a backup to a shottie for home protection and am afraid a FMJ will not do the job. Thanks guys

Well....

...There are some schools of thought that believe with that with a 9x18mm or .380 sized pistol that hollowpoints don't offer enough penetration, I think the 95 HP only penetrate about 6-8 inches or so. 115 gr HP gets 11.6 inches but it's not imported anymore so you have to have a stash. There's also Buffalo Bore 115 gr , flat nose bullet...which goes with their own theory that I cannot really remember expect for its plausibility. Some also believe that the 95gr HP don't expand reliably. So some opt for FMJ which gets adequate penetration for defense.

Just wanted to let you know that they contemporary rules that we've grown accustomed to as hollowpoints for defense, may not always hold true once you cross a different threshold. Still looking into it myself, I load 115 gr HP.

As always..test whatever you decide on.

Link Posted: 5/21/2011 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Silverbear 95 Grn HP feeds fine in my CZ82. Haven't tried it in my Mak. Regardless, it seems to behave like FMJ, so no point in using the HP. Hornady's offering doesn't penetrate for shit. Somebody has to know how to make a decent HP in 9mm Mak. I think there's a market for it.
I'm ready to try the Buffalo Bore 115 Grn lead. They offer a hot 95 Grn HP as well.

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=64
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a stash of the Silver Bear 115 JHPs and they feed just fine in my Bulgarian MAK, but not in my CZ 82.
Link Posted: 6/8/2011 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a stash of the Silver Bear 115 JHPs and they feed just fine in my Bulgarian MAK, but not in my CZ 82.

Yeah...Forgot to add....

Some of the other 9x18mm can't cycle or shoot the 115s safely.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]
95 gr Hornady XTPs have gone through an IJ-70, 2 CZ-82s and a P64 without any problems.  

Excellent choice for a BUG.

Putting 2 mags of XTPs through the P64 is enough to end the day at the range, especially after a couple o' mags of FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Buffalo Bore makes a 9x18 round that has 115gr which is typical in any regular 9x19 ammo...More compact explosion that is sure to put any 9x19 in second place.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#12]
many regular**
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Not even close sir.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not even close sir.

Yeah, seriously.

It's a high pressure semi-wadcutter that plays into the aspect of penetration with these "smaller" calibers. But it's not going to match a 9x19 SD load by a long shot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Powerball feeds fine through my Mak,and opened every time when shot into water jugs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just reading about a Mak load by Corbon; 95gr. JHP 1100fps.

Sound good on paper anyway, might be worth investigating.
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
not sure of the ballistics or penetrating ability of it, but silver bear feeds great through my bulgy mak.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wolf 120gr HP have functioned 100% through my Bulgy (approx 700 rounds fired). Silver Bear 115 HP have also functioned reliably (300 rds), in spite of the hollow point looking as if it was cut with a hand drill in many cases. The Wolf burns a bit cleaner, and accuracy from both has been very acceptable. I don't have any data on performance in actual shootings for either load, but I'm confident that the Wolf load would have the desired effect barring any barriers, or very heavy winter clothing (in which case I would need more gun anyway.... G23 ).

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I shoot  Silver Bear 94gr. HP through my CZ82. When I got the gun it did not feed HP reliably however FMJ ran perfect. I hit the feed ramp with a felt wheel on a Dremel. Notice I said FELT not stone, metal or sand. I also replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff XP. It now feeds anything and everything without issue.

I purchased some of Hornady's Critical Defense load for this gun. Years ago Hornady offered another 9x18 "defense" round that performed like an expensive FMJ with a tendency to jam. I am hoping the new offering is better engineered. I am going to try that out against rampaging water jugs in a few weeks. Note that the water jugs are not yet actually rampaging but I don't like the look of them.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Both of my CZ-82s feed Silver Bear HP ammo reliably from the first shot to the last. Seeing tests of this ammo though, it does not expand that well if at all. Not really a bad thing since the Mak round has only slightly more velocity over a .380.

Brass fetcher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_g0a-O0Lw0&feature=fvwrel

The round looks impressive in the vid but it also failed to expand and acted more like a FMJ round which seems to be the norm.

Hornady makes some Critical Defense ammo but I don't have a link to a test vid handy. It would probably be the only one I'd trust to work like it's suppose too.

http://www.hornady.com/store/9X18-Mak/
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Silver Bear is good stuff but stick with the 95gr The no longer produced 115gr does not feed in CZ82 correctly
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Rumor has it that Underwood Ammo may be producing a 9x18 load.  

If it's as good as their other stuff, I'll be buying a load of it for my CZ82.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
The Hornady Critical Defense cycles fine through my CZ 82.  I don't have a Mak, sorry.  I'm doubtful that it would penetrate worth a flip.  

The Silver Bear HP might be the best defense round for this caliber because they don't expand reliably.  It would act like a semi wadcutter and open a slightly larger permanent cavity than a round nose FMJ + have plenty of penetration.  It wouldn't have any additional recoil like the boutique high velocity rounds do.  Or, it might be crap.  I don't really know.
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 11:49:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I am breaking the first rule of carry ammo. I bought Hornady XTP Defense 95grain JHP rounds, and I carry 12+1 and a 12rd mag reload. Havent even test fired them to see how they feed and where they hit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:51:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I recently picked up a IJ-70 Russian Mak, along wth two boxes of Hornady Critica Defense HP ammo, and 500 rounds of FMJ for practice. The Hornady HP feeds, cylces and hits to point of aim in this gun. Obviously I haven't shot anyone with it, but I trust Hornady ammo and have no reason to believe that this ammo will be any different than my past experiences with it in other calibers. I don't expect a yard of penetration with it, but some expansion is expected. I am happy with its accuracy and reliability, so worst case scenario, it can't be any worse than ball FMJ ammo...which is probably where I'd end up if the Hornady didn't feed.

I picked up the gun as a "truck gun" that I can leave in the truck and if it gets stolen, I'm not out much and won't cry over it, like I would if one of my custom 1911's got swiped. For this purpose, this gun and ammo combo fits my needs perfectly... (100% reliable, accurate, better than .380 performance and CHEAP)

-Tac
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry the Silver Bear HP , rounds are fairly cheap the last batch I got was from Aim Surplus , not more than 8 bucks a box ,(mightve changed by now) ,be warned though the Mak round is a poppy round and the recoil in my opinon is rather large for this little gun , but I like the CZ82 so I will keep it and the HP rounds make it that much better, yes,I heard Horandy makes some rounds too!
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I carry the Silver Bear HP , rounds are fairly cheap the last batch I got was from Aim Surplus , not more than 8 bucks a box ,(mightve changed by now) ,be warned though the Mak round is a poppy round and the recoil in my opinon is rather large for this little gun , but I like the CZ82 so I will keep it and the HP rounds make it that much better, yes,I heard Horandy makes some rounds too!

I carry the hornady. I also always carry a spare mag, and I always have three other mags in the car. My Mak is my SHTF Bug Out Gun if I need to get mobile fast and just long enough to get home to my bigger, better toys.
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife has her Makarov loaded with Silver Bear JHP, since it was $11 a box it's cheap enough to practice with what she carries and we've put 400 rounds of the Silver Bear JHP through her Mak without any failures. I haven't tested expansion but worst case scenario is if they don't expand then it would be like having FMJs all along. Most important thing is they are reliable in her gun. I may give the Hornady and Buffalo Bore +P rounds a try sometime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]
My IJ-70 eats hornady critical defense and xtp like cheap tacos.  Both are 95 gr bullets, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Been using CorBon HP for 10 years+ . Keep mag loaded for home or personal, otherwise std hardball.No problems and near 9mm para performance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've heard good things from many CZ82 owners regarding SilverBear ammunition.  SB makes a hollow point 9x18.  That said, an expanding 9x18 risks losing penetration for expansion.

+1 on SilverBear.

+2 on Loss of expansion.

Next range trip, my Hornady Critical Defense HPs will be the range ammo (they have mag feeding issues)
And my winchester white box FMJ will be my carry ammo.

Buffalo Bore also makes a 9x18 round that is 115gr that is supposed to do very well in the CZ82. I would get that for Home Defense.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WA_xpdT-zaU
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WA_xpdT-zaU

At 1200fps, they might be on to something. I'd like to see Gel tests.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Buffalo Bore +P works great out of the P64 and Type 59 we have here...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top