Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2015 2:12:45 PM EDT
No idea if they're even readily available there or if they even cost less than the market over here in the US. But I may be going on a trip to Europe this summer, and the idea was the first thing that popped into my head lol.

And if it's possible... What about something bigger like a K98? Haha
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say no, to even buy a gun in Germany you have to teleport through 87 hoops.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No idea if they're even readily available there or if they even cost less than the market over here in the US. But I may be going on a trip to Europe this summer, and the idea was the first thing that popped into my head lol.

And if it's possible... What about something bigger like a K98? Haha
View Quote

Short answer?  No.

First, Germany has very specific gun laws.  You'd have to meet the basic requirement, which entails being a member of a certified shooting club for a year; 18 practice sessions with a firearm (probably rented) within that year; pass the government certification test; have a letter from your gun club stating what firearm and discipline; and lastly; submit a background check.

You aren't going to get that done in a visit.

Then, you'd have to find a Luger in Germany.  The place isn't awash with them.  Those that got confiscated at the end of WWII (when the Allies prohibited firearms) either became war trophies; were reissued as police pistols (the DDR used a lot of old German weapons before the Soviets allowed them to "re-arm" with Warsaw Pact weapons); or went to the USSR as 'just-in-case' war stocks - or wound up being sold in the US by companies like Interarms in the 50s and 60s.

Then you'd have to import it into the US on a Form 6 (BATFE approval to import).

There are dealers who will do everything for you, but it would cost an arm and a leg - i.e., you're not going to get a bargain.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Man... thanks for the info.

Back to Gunbroker stalking it is!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It isn't all that hard.  If you have an importer in the US do all the paperwork, it will cost around $500 to import it to your FFL.

You would never take possession of the gun in Germany, so having a German gun license is a moot point.

There probably won't be much of a savings though, that part is correct.  It will also have to be marked by the importer, unless you file the form 6 yourself through your FFL, but then you have to have a dealer in Germany who will hold the gun and do the German BAFA paperwork for you.

Link Posted: 6/15/2015 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Most Lugers are in the US.. Shop at Simpsons LTD on line, or Check Point Charlies, or local gun shops.  Gunbroker has them as do GunsAmerica  on line
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 for checkpoint charlie in wauqua a wisconsin I just delt with him he is great
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
http://simpsonltd.com/
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Simpson. I just got a P08 75th anniversary Karabiner in through them a week back. It takes months to get the import process rolling. We started in February. I had a lot of other items on the import too. It's cheaper to import in batches/bulk.

No import markings that I can find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top