Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2013 2:29:35 PM EDT
I know of a family that came across a longtime stored Mauser Broomhandle Cone Hammer. It's all original including furniture and case.

I can't strip it because it hasn't been lubed in many years, apparently, and I don't want to scratch or otherwise harm it. . It has a patina but otherwise appears NIB--or very rarely fired.

Before I attempt to lube it to free up the mag and field strip it, the family wants to know what it might be worth--assuming it has no issues.

Any experts out there? Would you need a serial no. to determine if it was manufactured before 1896?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Patina /= NIB

Pics would be necessary to give you any kind of realistic estimate on value.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed. Working on photos and serial number. Also, I have to lube and free up the mag release without doing any damage.

I can see that the chamber and bore are immaculate.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Agreed. Working on photos and serial number. Also, I have to lube and free up the mag release without doing any damage.

I can see that the chamber and bore are immaculate.  

Thanks.

After removing the grips, I'd soak the whole thing in Kroil or ATF. Let that stuff do the work of freeing up the moving parts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I started another thread on this b/c I forgot about this thread.

Anyway, C-96 is freed up and working. Action is like new, but the gun has been fired.

All numbers match.

Patina. No Rust.

Wood grips are like new.

Stock/case is like new.

Ser no. 88XX

Owner stores it in a leather zip case that he claims came with the firearm. He claims that he rescued it from the former owner who wanted to turn it into a lamp (!!!???)

Any idea what retail and/or auction value would be?

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming it's not refinished or cleaned with steel wool, that all serial numbers match, and the stock is not a reproduction or refinished and that it's really a conehammer model and still chambered in .30 Mauser then the rig should bring somewhere between $1500 and $2500.

BUT that is a lot of assumptions that can only be answered with detailed photos.

An owner's faint recollections regarding the gun are usually worthless. Just like every bubba-fied, over-polished, chrome-plated  Luger comes with the statement that "Yep, this one-of-a-kind presentation Luger was taken from the hand's of an SS officer".
Top Top