Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2013 10:31:27 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting a 1911 for a few months (Sig SA/DA lover). Been leaning toward the STI Spartan commander 9mm or a Taurus 1911 SS 9mm. This past weekend I ran across a new in box Para 12-45 & swapped it for my Rguns FF quad railed complete upper. The Para came with the original box (numbers matched) & the manual, which was dated "1990". I think it was a fair trade - both in the $ 550 range. It wasn't what I was looking for but, I really like the alloy frame, double stack & 3.5" barrel. I banged out 40 rounds of Blazer brass with only one FTF that was caused by my limp-wristing - pleased so far.  

Anyone have experience with double stack Para's or the 12-45 in particular? Any reliability issues or recommended upgrades that I should make. Looks like Wolff keeps most of the springs in stock, after sitting for 20+ years, would any of these need to be changed? Will the trigger pull ease with use?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend replacing the mag springs with Wolff aftermarket springs. The mags tend to be crappy from the get go. CDNN has 12 round mags for 20 bucks usually. I have a stainless Carry 12 lda from 2001. It shoots great but it did need a trip to the para doc early on. If you are getting good strikes on the primer and its cycling fine you are gtg.
Link Posted: 12/27/2013 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
PICS?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I own an early 1990s P14-45 and owned a P10-45, also manufactured in the 1990s.  I sent the P-14.45 into Springfield Armory's Custom Shop for the TRP/HRT Package around the time the FBI went to the double stack (1997-98) custom .45.  Before sending it in, I HATED all it's issues.  The magazines were horrible, had feeding & ejection issues and...well, just wasn't smooth.

Felt the same about the P-10, which I sent to C&S for a major overhaul. As mentioned in a previous post, besides going with an excellent gunsmith shop go with things such as Wolff springs, Arredondo followers and dovetailed custom sights.  Also, ensure it's sighted in with the ammo you plan to shoot.

*I did not swap out barrels on advice from both shops.  Apparently, Para has excellent machining when it comes to barrels.

Now?  I still own the SA Custom Shop Para and will not part with it for anything.  It is a true blue tack driver!
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 10:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gastonglock21s] [#4]
I had a P12 from the early 1990's.  I loved it.  It was one of the most accurate handguns I've owned and had a pretty nice factory trigger.  Never had any problems with reliability as that one would shoot just about anything I ran through it including semi wad cutters.

I also had a P14 from the early 1990's and it was close to the same accuracy as my P12.  I bought it new and it suffered from a bad magazine.  Unfortunately, Mecgars weren't available then and everyone was price gouging the factory mags ($100 + each).  If I knew then what I know now, I would have adjusted the feed lips, modified or replaced the mag springs and got it working.  If I had the same gun today, I'd just buy the Mecgars.  I handled a black ops the other day and I was very impressed.  

I think you did good at that price point.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2014 7:08:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: im1livewire] [#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:13:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSPCRX] [#6]
Have one and love it.  As stated change mag springs with wolf springs.  I also added a smith and alexander backstrap mag well combo and drop in wilson combat beaver tail grip safety. Sick of getting bit on high and tight grips.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a P12 since the early 90's and have used it for almost daily carry and am now using it for some IDPA shooting. I've never changed out any of the springs, recoil or magazine. I did have a friend, whom runs a company called TROMIX, do some work on the trigger to clean it up. Much better than the somewhat gritty pull it had. Much more crisp now. Love the gun, big Para fan, and am looking at getting the Recon 14-45 soon.
Top Top