Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ToyCop:
My conversion gun of choice.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18568/IMG_0753-3181168.jpg

View Quote

Solid choice.

Photo request. All three slides upside down with barrels removed to see the milling under the slide.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:

What are some good boutique loads for 357SIG? I'm interested in getting some. Thanks.
View Quote

I am a fan of light and fast unless I am out hiking. Then will stick with heavier projectiles.

Any of the double tap or underwood loads are good to go. 115gr is what I usually look for and I’ve never been interested in the copper only bullets.

Strangely for ball plinking ammo. This stuff also is great. They list it as 650ft lb of energy but don’t give the test gun or barrel length information. https://ppu-usa.com/ppu/357-sig/ I have a chronograph and eventually will test it out. That ammo seems hard to find lately though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]

What, you've never been to a train assault course? When you work around the transportation domain you test things like trains, aircraft seats, beverage carts, etc. Probably not a concern for most, but blanket statements about the "better" cartridge are often just statements or personal opinions based on the shooter's intended use. I'm still waiting for that magical one shot stop pistol cartridge for every body type in every scenario.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:  .40 is a superior round.  But, you will never convince the masses of that.  They just do what is popular.  They don't think for themselves, they just say "XYZ says it is better."

Most of them probably took the vaccine because doctors told them to.

40 is not superior in barrier penetration in my experience. Especially not when it comes to double pane plexiglass  windows like on trains. 40 deflects more  through the various barriers we tried.  It wasn't a scientific, lab controlled test, but they were conducted side by side, at the same time with 357 Sig.

Who is shooting trains?

What, you've never been to a train assault course? When you work around the transportation domain you test things like trains, aircraft seats, beverage carts, etc. Probably not a concern for most, but blanket statements about the "better" cartridge are often just statements or personal opinions based on the shooter's intended use. I'm still waiting for that magical one shot stop pistol cartridge for every body type in every scenario.

No, I've never been to a train assault course or worried if my carry round could penetrate through a beverage cart.

There is no magic cartridge - only different compromises.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

I am a fan of light and fast unless I am out hiking. Then will stick with heavier projectiles.

Any of the double tap or underwood loads are good to go. 115gr is what I usually look for and I’ve never been interested in the copper only bullets.

Strangely for ball plinking ammo. This stuff also is great. They list it as 650ft lb of energy but don’t give the test gun or barrel length information. https://ppu-usa.com/ppu/357-sig/ I have a chronograph and eventually will test it out. That ammo seems hard to find lately though.
View Quote

Almost 1600fps for 125g?!
I'm going to look for this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
How about 7.5 grains Unique, and a pull-down Speer Gold Dot?

13-cent shipped - Bullets here:
https://americanreloading.com/product/9mm-124gr-gold-dot-pulled-500ct/

Quickload says...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

Quickload says...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/357_SIG_-_SPEER_GOLD_DOT_-_7_9_grains_UN-3181411.JPG
View Quote

Can I get that transaleted into Freedom measures?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quickload says...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/357_SIG_-_SPEER_GOLD_DOT_-_7_9_grains_UN-3181411.JPG
View Quote

Ewwwww. Hell naw. If it doesn’t have more ass than that behind it you might as well shoot 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Ewwwww. Hell naw. If it doesn’t have more ass than that behind it you might as well shoot 9mm.
View Quote

For you then, 147 cast lead with a full case of Bullseye.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]

For you then, 147 cast lead with a full case of Bullseye.
View Quote

Would like tkk ok see what that would do. Might need to find a Thompson Contender for that load though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Solid choice.

Photo request. All three slides upside down with barrels removed to see the milling under the slide.
View Quote
@NachoDip
9/357/40

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:38:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
40 is not superior in barrier penetration in my experience. Especially not when it comes to double pane plexiglass  windows like on trains. 40 deflects more  through the various barriers we tried.  It wasn't a scientific, lab controlled test, but they were conducted side by side, at the same time with 357 Sig.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:

.40 is a superior round.  But, you will never convince the masses of that.  They just do what is popular.  They don't think for themselves, they just say "XYZ says it is better."

How did the 357 Sig perform, and what bullet type was tested for it?

What other testing did they do on 357 Sig and how did it perform compared to 9mm and 40?

What are some good boutique loads for 357SIG? I'm interested in getting some. Thanks.

No one currently loads 357 Sig to its full potential.  Original spec was 1,450 fps with a 125 grain bullet from a 4" barrel.  Most factory and even boutique brands like Underwood, load it slower than that.  I've gotten some underwood ammo that exceeded the spec, but it is not within their loading criteria.  Their spec is 1,475fps from a 4.5" barrel.  Peak pressure for 357 Sig exceeds that of 40, so can be loaded hotter but no one does it.

In my opinion, the best current defensive loads for 357 Sig are (in no particular order):

1. The Underwood 124gr Nosler bullet round
2. The Underwood 68 grain Xtreme Defense solid copper bullet round
3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

To get true peak power though, you'll have to hand load it.  You could easily get a 124 / 125 grain projectile up to ~ 1,600 fps from a 4" barrel and still be within the pressure limits.    

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Blain:

What other testing did they do on 357 Sig and how did it perform compared to 9mm and 40?

No one currently loads 357 Sig to its full potential.  Original spec was 1,450 fps with a 125 grain bullet from a 4" barrel.  Most factory and even boutique brands like Underwood, load it slower than that.  I've gotten some underwood ammo that exceeded the spec, but it is not within their loading criteria.  Their spec is 1,475fps from a 4.5" barrel.  Peak pressure for 357 Sig exceeds that of 40, so can be loaded hotter but no one does it.

In my opinion, the best current defensive loads for 357 Sig are (in no particular order):

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

To get true peak power though, you'll have to hand load it.  You could easily get a 124 / 125 grain projectile up to ~ 1,600 fps from a 4" barrel and still be within the pressure limits.    

View All Quotes

.40 is a superior round.  But, you will never convince the masses of that.  They just do what is popular.  They don't think for themselves, they just say "XYZ says it is better."

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

I’d like to see some load data for 1600fps 124gr from 4” none of the books I’ve consulted show it close to that. Of course I’ve loaded 38 super that was well above what people consider it will do.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#14]

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

View Quote
Round was Speer Lawman 124 GDHP.  In a number of the barrier tests the 9mm and 40 both deflected more going through the barrier and resulted in poor hits on target.  I wish I could tell you the exact ammo in 40 and 9mm, but I don't recall. I prefer the 357 Sig because it has considerably less drop than the other two out to 100 yards. Although, there is probably comparable 9mm ammo now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

I’d like to see some load data for 1600fps 124gr from 4” none of the books I’ve consulted show it close to that. Of course I’ve loaded 38 super that was well above what people consider it will do.
View All Quotes

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

Max pressure for 10mm and 9x25 dillion is 37,500 psi.  Max pressure for 357 sig is 40,000 psi.  You'll be hard pressed to find a reloading book that has 357 sig data anywhere close to max pressure.  Also, 124gr / 125gr @ 1,600 fps is not max pressure in a 357 Sig.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:23:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: anachronism] [#16]

Quickload says...

View Quote

I hadn't considered Unique for 357 SIG before, but your information matches Alliants. I think they also show something like 6.6 gr max for 147s.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By anachronism:

I hadn't considered Unique for 357 SIG before, but your information matches Alliants. I thin k they also show something like 6.6 gr max for 147s.
View Quote

I would likely be suspect of any pistol caliber that couldn’t utilize unique
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I meant at that performance level. Unique can work in damn near anything, but it's never the fastest or potentially the most accurate option for any given cartridge. It is probably the best candidate for the old "if I could only have one pistol powder" debate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]

I meant at that performance level. Unique can work in damn near anything, but it's never the fastest or potentially the most accurate option for any given cartridge. It is probably the best candidate for the old "if I could only have one pistol powder" debate.
View All Quotes

I’d agree with that not typically the fastest or the most accurate just there when you need it
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Welcome back to 2004!
View Quote

Yeah.

But, it is a great cartridge but the cost is high.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#21]

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

View All Quotes

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

Awesome. Thanks, I;m going to look for some if this stuff.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#22]
??.357 Sig VS ??.357 Magnum - Underwood JHP - WOW - Game Changer!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#23]
When you run handloads to mega-max because you are “still within pressure limits,” you have to wonder whether the firearm you are firing it in will be RELIABLE with that mega-max load.

The gun has to cycle normally, or you might as well be firing it in a T/C Contender.

And if the mega-max does cycle, what are you doing to the gun? How many rounds until that punishment causes the gun to fail? Do you know the warning signs to look for?

Will unusually-high ambient temperature cause that mega-max load to pressure-spike?

I get it that there is usually some headroom to boost velocity safely. But when you go there, you are signing up for duties to test and monitor that are far higher than “just using normal ammunition.”
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#24]
When you run handloads to mega-max because you are “still within pressure limits,” you have to wonder whether the firearm you are firing it in will be RELIABLE with that mega-max load.

The gun has to cycle normally, or you might as well be firing it in a T/C Contender.

And if the mega-max does cycle, what are you doing to the gun? How many rounds until that punishment causes the gun to fail? Do you know the warning signs to look for?

Will unusually-high ambient temperature cause that mega-max load to pressure-spike?

I get it that there is usually some headroom to boost velocity safely. But when you go there, you are signing up for duties to test and monitor that are far higher than “just using normal ammunition.”
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:22:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WILSON] [#25]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#26]

I’d agree with that not typically the fastest or the most accurate just there when you need it
View Quote

It has never been a perfect solution, but it has always been a solution.

I still need a ball powder suitable for 357s top end velocities as originally designed. I've noticed the disappearance of powders like Ramshot Enforcer locally. And don't forget 800X. I emailed Hodgdon requesting they consider its return. Their exact response was: "Sorry, we won’t see 800x again.

There are other powders that will work in it place"

Like what?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Since this is a thread on 357 SIG, ima recommend a powder for the 357 SIG.
Winchester 572.  
Got higher than expected velocity right on the first try.
There are a big bunch that should work quite well.
AA N7, blue dot, that CFE that they keep trying to jamb down everyone's throats, power pistol.  

No idea what your one pound at a time local situation is.
I started hoarding powder 2 at a time the last panic.

Now a powder they should bring back is SR 7625.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't tell a difference in performance, can you?

357 sig VS 357 mag in Ballistics Gel
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:06:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SDGlock23] [#29]

3. Speer Gold Dot
4. HST / Sig Performance

View Quote
I wouldn't say it's "easy" to get 1600 fps with a 125gr 357 SIG out of a 4" barrel.  

I've loaded the 357 SIG hot, real hot.  I even played around with loading actual .357 Mag bullets in the 357 SIG and got great results.

I'm well aware of what the 357 SIG can be loaded to, and to get 1600 fps from a 4" barrel you're really packing that case with some powder.  Now I did run 125gr XTP's (actual .357 Mag XTP's) to 1620 fps from a 4.5" barrel and nearly 1700 fps from a 6" with a rather full case of 800-X.  Not bad.  I like the cartridge, I just got out of it a while ago.

Also, nobody really loads any cartridge to absolute max, not even the boutique guys, it's just too big of a liability and something that can really only happen with handloading.  The problem is, how do you know when it's too much?  Gun blows up in your face?  That's not fun. It's neat to see what a cartridge is capable of, the .40 will run a 135gr JHP faster than a 357 SIG will run a 125gr, but probably very few care about that.  But again, seeing what a cartridge is capable of is fun, but some people fall into the trap of thinking they need every last drop of velocity for something to be effective, as though a 125gr 357 SIG at 1450 fps just won't work when it could be ran at 1600 fps.  I wouldn't want to shoot any cartridge at absolute max all of the time, maybe from time to time, but not ALL of the time...that is unless I hated the gun and my wrists.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I wouldn't say it's "easy" to get 1600 fps with a 125gr 357 SIG out of a 4" barrel.  

I've loaded the 357 SIG hot, real hot.  I even played around with loading actual .357 Mag bullets in the 357 SIG and got great results.

I'm well aware of what the 357 SIG can be loaded to, and to get 1600 fps from a 4" barrel you're really packing that case with some powder.  Now I did run 125gr XTP's (actual .357 Mag XTP's) to 1620 fps from a 4.5" barrel and nearly 1700 fps from a 6" with a rather full case of 800-X.  Not bad.  I like the cartridge, I just got out of it a while ago.
<>
View Quote

I was planning on trying 357 bullets for SIG as well. The biggest drawback for 357 SIG is the lack of 9mm bullets bullets that can retain their integrity at 1400+ fps. How did the accuracy work out for you? My only planned prep is to slug my SIG barrel to make certain it isn't freakishly tight or anything. I still have a small amount of 800X left.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top