Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2001 2:37:36 PM EDT
I have an old Colt 1911 that has some patches of rust in the rifling...is there a good way to remove it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah trade it for a nice new Glock, then the rust is gone :D Try to soak it in some clp and then run a brush through it, and it should come out. Mine havent rusted, (Glocks) but I would think that CLP would break down the rust then the brush would clean it all off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2001 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the clp idea from Glockin-It. The easy way out would be a new barrel!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot it. Still accurate? Old .45s were most likely exposed to corrosive ammo and not cleaned properly. Can try a stainless steel brush too. Rebarreling is an option, GI barrels run $20 and up or a Wilson or Bar-sto stainless barrel, upwards of $150. Had a Victory model S&W .38 that had huge pits, it would still keep all shots in a quarter at 20 yards!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful..make sure it hasn't removed too much of the metal..

You really don't want corrosion damage in a barrel..

I would seriously look into re-barreling..
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's just surface rust, then a good brushing should get it out. One of my Dad's Colts had some light surface rust and it cleaned right up and shoots just fine. Now if it's pretty heavy, then it may be time for a new barrel cuz it's gonna pit, etc......  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top