Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2017 11:34:14 PM EDT
So I am looking to start practicing shooting with both eyes open. I have tried dry firing and focusing on the front sight with both eyes open but I tend to find that I am seeing 2 blurry targets. Any tips on how to practice? I have heard that a piece of tape on the shooting glasses over the non-dominant eye helps.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If the issue is cross dominance, the nice thing about handguns is you just tilt or turn you head slightly to align the correct eye with the sights.  It takes some repetition to get the muscle memory so you move your head and not the gun, which will mess up your natural point of aim, but it works fine.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
the tape thing helps, or squinting the offhand eye.

if you don't have a strong, or dominant eye, sometimes it is just easier and more accurate to close one eye.  It's not as black and white as left or right eyed only.

Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:17:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the tape thing helps, or squinting the offhand eye.

if you don't have a strong, or dominant eye, sometimes it is just easier and more accurate to close one eye.  It's not as black and white as left or right eyed only.

View Quote
Agreed if there's no functionally clear dominance. Or if it's minimal and needs help I'd still use the dominant eye and aid it by squinting.  I'm cross dominant and sometimes squint my off eye to speed up initial acquisition.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah it takes lots of practice. You have to train your brain. Best method I've found is to raise your gun up and look for that front sight. At first you'll see two sets of front sights. Close one eye and then you'll see the correct sight. Then slowly open that eye and maintain focus on the correct front sight. Repeat for as long as needed. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can bring your gun up and you'll just find the one correct front sight. 
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah it takes lots of practice. You have to train your brain. Best method I've found is to raise your gun up and look for that front sight. At first you'll see two sets of front sights. Close one eye and then you'll see the correct sight. Then slowly open that eye and maintain focus on the correct front sight. Repeat for as long as needed. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can bring your gun up and you'll just find the one correct front sight. 
View Quote
Exactly this.... I shoot both eyes open unless I am doing pinpoint precision shooting.  If you find your eyes cannot focus squint, slightly obstruct, or close the none dominate eyes for a second allow to focus and proceed.  With practice you can also train your eyes to be ambi dominate I can do it with longer rifle length sight radius and 80-90% of the time with a pistol but somedays it does not want to cooperate when I practice shooting left handed.  Those days it does not want to cooperate is usually a day I am not doing that great at shooting anyways maybe to much caffeine or I am just tired from a long week.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
This training is more realistic for functional survival anyway, under a full adrenaline dump (sympathetic nervous system activation for the purists), you'd have to staple your non-dominant eye closed to keep it closed.

I've used the empty pistol in the house to identify an aiming point on a target pasted to one of my walls. I'll draw and hunt the front sight while thinking center mass.

I've used the laser aim gadget in the past to work on this also. I'm probably going to get an SIRT pistol to work more on this, but have found that training with aiming and dryfiring saves range time.

If you've been shooting bullseye or one eye closed for a while, it's going to take some time to reprogram. I don't think you'll be able to hurry.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Through all my years of shooting I was never able to shoot with both eyes open and un-obscured.  The piece of tape solved that problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is spooky timely because just yesterday, for the first time I fired 300 rounds out of 4 different guns with both eyes open.  
It was weird; everything just sort of clicked.  
After a while I was able to fire rapidly while being crazy accurate.  I also saw one target instead of two but it took a few minutes.  What seemed to help me was if your vision gets scrambled (you see multiple targets mixed with multiple front sights) simply close your usual eye, get back on target and then open it again.   Worked like a charm.  
I'm a pretty good shot and found shooting with both eyes open actually tightened up my groups.  I think it forces you to really focus on the front sight which lets face it-is one of the fundamentals of accurate shooting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the issue is cross dominance, the nice thing about handguns is you just tilt or turn you head slightly to align the correct eye with the sights.  It takes some repetition to get the muscle memory so you move your head and not the gun, which will mess up your natural point of aim, but it works fine.
View Quote
For many people it's easier to reposition the weapon slightly. Tilting the head sometimes leaves people searching for the front sight. I'm cross dominant myself and the slight deviation in stance makes no difference.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice guys. Headed to the range tomorrow we'll see how the initial attempts go.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
One eye pistol shooter here, but never tried both eyes before.

With one eye I have a hard front sight focus, target slightly blurry

With 2 eyes open are you still keeping a front sight focus?  If so don't you end up with 2 targets?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
So back from the range and i tried the tape over my non dominant eye. Loved the way i shot with both eyes open. My groups at 10 yards tightened up. Hopefully i can really train my eyes and have similar results when i remove the tape.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One eye pistol shooter here, but never tried both eyes before.

With one eye I have a hard front sight focus, target slightly blurry

With 2 eyes open are you still keeping a front sight focus?  If so don't you end up with 2 targets?
View Quote
Yes, perhaps even more so.
Yes, you end up with two targets but your brain will seperate them the more you practice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#15]
It took me around 15 minutes to learn how to shoot with both eyes open for pistol. Much shorter for rifle. You need a point of reference like the tip of a pen and focus it with your dominant eye. Blinking help a lot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top