Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/18/2017 8:00:18 PM EDT
I have read the 100,000 round count handgun thread with great interest. I have always appreciated mechanical things that could withstand a lot of use and abuse.

If you had to choose one handgun to make it to 100,000 rounds with no major mechanical problems, what would you choose? I would consider anything that could not be fixed with a spring or a pin replacement to be a major problem.

I will put up a poll for the different brands, put please specify the specific pistol in your post.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
None of the above! To get that kind of round count I would use a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer or Ed Brown.
These guns are just broke in at 20,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of the above! To get that kind of round count I would use a Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer or Ed Brown.
These guns are just broke in at 20,000 rounds.
View Quote
And as a bonus, you'd be a damn Jedi at malfunction clearing.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#4]
OP forgot to add Springfield Armory to the poll, even though I would still vote for the Glock.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Any of those can and will fail at something on the way to 100K.

Springs and pins will break first, frame fatigue will also be a factor, and misc other factors to consider.  Replacing spring regularly, worn parts and living properly will help you get there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Gen 2 Glock
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
A P30 or a MK25 would my choice.  

A 1911 will easily do it too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#8]
USP.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A P30 or a MK25 would my choice.  

A 1911 will easily do it too.
View Quote
1911 will rattle like a spray paint can when done.  I wonder how many recoil springs will be replaced and I have seen some high round count 1911s.  Not all did too well some had frame cracks and failures, some lost the plunger tubes, extractors will lose tension or fail or the ejector will come loose and fail.  I highly doubt a 1911 would make it without lots of maintenance along the way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
None if those, but there are probably  thousands of 2011's with over 100k through them. My SV infinity finally needed a new barrel at about 90k, and I am sure is still  gobbling up ammo somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]
HK P30's already gone 90k+ rds in testing!  Couldn't imagine my HK P30L failing under ANY count, the Damn gun's built like a tank!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Are we allowed a few malfs due to a broken small part?

How about basic preventative maintenance?

I'd be pretty comfortable with a beretta. Same with a good 1911. Replacing springs and or extractors, etc are pretty basic.

It seems berettas break at the locking block if the recoil spring is neglected. Easy fix either way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Not a handgun, but I put well over 100k through my old O/U shotgun. Sold it, still had another 300k to go easy.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#14]
HK USP followed by a Glock 17 Gen 3.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
None if those, but there are probably  thousands of 2011's with over 100k through them. My SV infinity finally needed a new barrel at about 90k, and I am sure is still  gobbling up ammo somewhere.
View Quote
True, but from what I have seen you will leave a trail of small parts behind you on the way.

From the standpoint of "how many rounds can I shoot before anything breaks", I think it would likely be HK (not the VP9).
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an old XD-40 that is close to 40,000 on it.  No reason it would not make 100,000.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an old XD-40 that is close to 40,000 on it.  No reason it would not make 100,000.
View Quote
Have you closely inspected your locking block?  The early ones (pre stress relief cuts) were known to crack after enough use.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have you closely inspected your locking block?  The early ones (pre stress relief cuts) were known to crack after enough use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah it cracked back at about 5-6k IIRC.  Even after I notice the cracks starting I shot two more USPSA matches with it, one being a sectional match.  It never failed.  Sent it off to SA and they had it back to me in 8 days.  New block installed and away I went.  The only other part I have broken is a trigger return spring in there somewhere.  They sent me one of those for free and I replaced it.  I replaced magazine springs somewhere around 24,000 (I run 12 mags).  It's had a few recoil springs but I run a very light spring and if it looses too much stiffness it won't stay in battery against the striker spring so I replace it every 3-4K just for reliability.  They are cheap.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:24:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Glock 17
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#20]
HK Mark 23
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Of those I've personally owne? Beretta PX4.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#23]
It has to be a wheel gun.  S&W.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Chose GLOCK.

I have a gen 3 with over 30k thru it and a gen4 with just over 5k. My guess the gen4 will go the distance as it's my carry gun now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#25]
G19
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
HK USP followed by a Glock 17 Gen 3.
View Quote
This. Exactly this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you asking about 100k rounds in 13 minutes?

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#28]
If I could only choose one it would probably be an HK USP, but I would bet a 226 or G17 would make the cut as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#29]
I think also some factors we are missing will have a profound effect on the pistol later on.  What type of ammo is being shot?  Are you talking about standard plinking ammo or +P?  What caliber?  Some calibers are much more rough on a pistol than others. (40S&W, 10mm, 357Sig all come to mind)
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think also some factors we are missing will have a profound effect on the pistol later on.  What type of ammo is being shot?  Are you talking about standard plinking ammo or +P?  What caliber?  Some calibers are much more rough on a pistol than others. (40S&W, 10mm, 357Sig all come to mind)
View Quote
There are USPSA guys with 2011 based race guns that have exceed 1/4 million rounds of 40S&W or 9mm Major/38 Super and keep running.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd start with an older unfired 27 & shoot 38 specials and hope for the best if I'm not allowed to change parts along the way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd start with an older unfired 27 & shoot 38 specials and hope for the best if I'm not allowed to change parts along the way.
View Quote
You would almost have to be allowed to change some parts, even if it was just springs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It has to be a wheel gun.  S&W.
View Quote
This, model 10 38special, probably make it past 100k
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

1911 will rattle like a spray paint can when done.  I wonder how many recoil springs will be replaced and I have seen some high round count 1911s.  Not all did too well some had frame cracks and failures, some lost the plunger tubes, extractors will lose tension or fail or the ejector will come loose and fail.  I highly doubt a 1911 would make it without lots of maintenance along the way.
View Quote
Steel frame 1911's are WAY overrated

The military ran out of serviceable steel frame 1911's only a few years after they stopped buying new ones. (And they kept replacing parts until the frames broke)

Your run of the mill steel frame 1911 is spent around 60k rounds
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Glock 17 or M&P9
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The military ran out of serviceable steel frame 1911's only a few years after they stopped buying new ones. (And they kept replacing parts until the frames broke)

View Quote
It is not even that the steel frame is overrated it is the staked parts that rattle loose, the extractor that has to have the tension readjusted, the barrel link gives up, or I have seen some with 15-25K the frames are battered to death causing them to crack.  Granted I have seen the same thing in the P22x frames that they eventually get battered to death and crack.  100K is a lot to ask of any pistol especially if you the maintenance is lapsed and recoil spring get weak the frames start to get beat to shit.  Even the Glock as round counts get higher and higher you run the risk of loosing a slide rail in the frame, the frame cracking, locking blocks giving up, springs are a big issues as mileage increases, extractors chipping\breaking, or even the striker breaking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#38]
My four inch gp100 and 38 specials. I would probably be dead in a pile of brass before it broke.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I consider, in this scenario, that guns and cars are pretty similar.

A car can't get to 300k miles without changing the oil, brakes, batteries, shocks, struts, tires, etc.

Recoil springs
Extractors
Plunger tubes
Ejectors

Are all easy to change out

Break a safety? That's easy too

I don't consider that a lot of maintenance.

Every spring on a glock, etc needs to be replaced as well. It's not an issue. It's just life. I like and carry glocks but I always laugh to myself when I see a confused shooter looking at their Glock wondering why it won't work. Sometimes it's a broken trigger return spring, or slide lock spring, etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then again, some of those 80+ year old guns are still in service.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#41]
My HK USP 9.

Over 12,000 rounds, long way to go.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A car can't get to 300k miles without changing the oil, brakes, batteries, shocks, struts, tires, etc.

Recoil springs
Extractors
Plunger tubes
Ejectors

Every spring on a glock, etc needs to be replaced as well. It's not an issue. It's just life. I like and carry glocks but I always laugh to myself when I see a confused shooter looking at their Glock wondering why it won't work. Sometimes it's a broken trigger return spring, or slide lock spring, etc.
View Quote
Plunger tube and ejectors are not exactly just drop in they have to be stacked.  The ejector has to be tuned and fitted same with a new safety so it is not as easy as just drop in parts.  I have built and worked on enough 1911s to know that most quality parts are not drop in.  VS a Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, etc etc the parts are drop in or near drop in.  A 1911 requires much more knowledge of the system and how it works.  The average shooter and majority of 1911 owners would not know how to long term maintain the system to reach 100K.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Hasn't Ron from BFLV been having a lot of issues with glocks cracking recently?  I have always loved Glock but it seems like the new ones don't really have the longevity that one would expect based on reputation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hasn't Ron from BFLV been having a lot of issues with glocks cracking recently?  I have always loved Glock but it seems like the new ones don't really have the longevity that one would expect based on reputation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hasn't Ron from BFLV been having a lot of issues with glocks cracking recently?  I have always loved Glock but it seems like the new ones don't really have the longevity that one would expect based on reputation
The misinformation coming out of that thread will never die. 

From the first post in that thread:

I can tell you that even though I am not a "Glock guy", it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17's on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock's pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a "catastrophic" break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Henderson Defense real world torture test show Glocks slides break way before 100,000 rounds
even though they continue to fire

Beretta 92FS is a solid go to gun. . .if your life depends on it,  why F around? My bug out bag
does not leave home without it
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I really like Glocks and wish I could vote for them but the Beretta 92 is an extremely durable pistol if you maintain it at all. Henderson's long term results bear this out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:03:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Plunger tube and ejectors are not exactly just drop in they have to be stacked.  The ejector has to be tuned and fitted same with a new safety so it is not as easy as just drop in parts.  I have built and worked on enough 1911s to know that most quality parts are not drop in.  VS a Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, etc etc the parts are drop in or near drop in.  A 1911 requires much more knowledge of the system and how it works.  The average shooter and majority of 1911 owners would not know how to long term maintain the system to reach 100K.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recoil springs
Extractors
Plunger tubes
Ejectors

I didn't say they were drop in.

Most people don't have the knowledge to change out wheel bearings either. But that's not a knock on a car needing maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I didn't say they were drop in.

Most people don't have the knowledge to change out wheel bearings either. But that's not a knock on a car needing maintenance.

View Quote
Easy to change ... drop in.... I kind of drew that conclusion they are pretty much one in the same.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Henderson Defense real world torture test show Glocks slides break way before 100,000 rounds
even though they continue to fire

Beretta 92FS is a solid go to gun. . .if your life depends on it,  why F around? My bug out bag
does not leave home without it
View Quote
Without going back through the whole thread, at what round count are they cracking?

You do have a spare locking block, right?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top