Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2017 1:40:05 PM EDT

This picture says it all!

http://www.gunsandammo.com/military-law-enforcement/test-firing-armys-new-mhs-pistol-sig-sauer-m1718/

Exclusive Test Fire of the Army’s new MHS pistol, the SIG Sauer M17/18

Exclusive Test Fire of the Army’s new MHS pistol, the SIG Sauer M17/18
by Eric R. Poole   |  July 13th, 2017   |  By: Eric R. Poole Photos and video by Sean Utley

SIGSauer M17/M18
SIG Sauer has won the coveted U.S. Army Modular Handgun System (MHS) contract, beating eight notable challengers including submissions from Beretta, FN, Glock and Smith & Wesson. SIG Sauer’s P320-based XM17 (full-size) and XM18 (compact) survived extensive vetting as well as a recent series of objections that Glock made to the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO). On June 5, 2017, the GAO denied Glock’s protest. SIG won.

The U.S. Army’s selection of SIG Sauer’s P320 is no small achievement. This elite list of chosen sidearms is a matter of historical record, and one that often yields decades of business. Depending on configuration, the pistols will be designated the M17 and M18, respectively, and a modular chassis could mean that these pistols serve troops indefinitely.

The 10-year award is estimated to be worth $580 million. It is extremely important to SIG Sauer’s reputation. In the last 10 years, the manufacturer has enjoyed a series of credibility-boosting successes under the leadership of president Ron Cohen. The company remains on a mission to monopolize many of the categories that currently matter: pistols, rifles, ammunition, optics and suppressors.

The M17/M18 are very similar to the commercially available P320, which retails for $680 and shares most of the same modular characteristics. The M17 features the P320 Carry frame with a full-size P320 slide. The M18 features the P320 Carry frame with a Carry-length slide. Both pistols were spec’d to be tanin color.  Steel components are given a physical vapor deposition (PVD), which is a uniform, durable and corrosion-resistant finish.

A big difference between the P320 and M17/M18 is the pin spanner screws specified by Uncle Sam to resist tampering and disassembly beyond an operator level. Maintenance beyond what’s accessible during fieldstripping and reconfiguration of the M17/M18 is supposed to be accomplished by an armorer. During our test of both models, a spanner-head screw was placed on the back of the slide over the extractor and?to the right of the striker and one opposite of the takedown lever. As this article was written, G&A learned that the pin spanner for the takedown lever was changing because it would prohibit operator-level access to the chassis assembly. Lastly, the M17/M18 will feature a lightweight trigger (with the same curvature as the P320 trigger), an RFID and unique serial number as specified by the U.S. Army.

Per U.S. Army requirements, the rear sight assembly differs from commercial P320 models because the M17/M18 features a removable rear-sight plate with an adjustable orange-colored SIGLite tritium night sight. The steel plate covers and protects the footprint needed for mounting a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro red dot sight, a clue to the forward thinking of the U.S. Army given that red dot sight capability was spec’d in the request.

Since the MHS solicitation did not specify caliber, it is also telling that the military thinks a large capacity 9mm is still relevant despite the calls for a bigger caliber.

GACoverSept2017G&A’s staff can report that SIG Sauer will offer an almost-identical consumer version (sans U.S. government markings) of this pistol.

More information and photos featuring the M17/M18 will appear in the September 2017 issue of Guns & Ammo magazine.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/military-law-enforcement/test-firing-armys-new-mhs-pistol-sig-sauer-m1718/#ixzz4mpS39qYh
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns and Ammo

Haven't read that rag in years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#2]
appears to be an accurate pistol.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
INB4 Glock fan boy thread crapping...

GACoverSept2017G&A’s staff can report that SIG Sauer will offer an almost-identical consumer version (sans U.S. government markings) of this pistol.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
G&A has never done an article on the P320 before?

Or is it all hip and cool and totally different now that it has a contract and a manual safety?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sweet!
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd love an M17/M18 set
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love an M17/M18 set
You and me both.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yayyy another striker fire pistol with an....external safety.

The army will never use the "modular" options....if they do, I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still waiting for the field trials.

Only 10 years? Geeze, beretta is still under contract until 2019
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]
It does look kinda sexy in the M17 variant.

For most people in the military services the pistol is largely an appendage that is fired semi-annually for qualification.

Glock fanboys will be salty over this for some time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Hahahahaha! No.

While the 320 looks to be a great pistol, and I wish SIG the best, check back in twenty years and we'll see if they can even make a dent in GLOCK's empire.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock will offer a drop in trigger model in the near future. At that point kit Glocks will have the one thing they need to become the AR15 of the handgun world.

Or, not. I can see Gaston resting on his laurels while the SIG design pulls away.

The "Glock Empire" is much like the proverbial one in the movies. There's a lot of shenanigans behind the scenes, and if there is ONE thing proven by this contract and by the competition, it's that Glock is fleecing their customers with pricing and hype. It's like reading Rolex posts, it's all about the superlative engineering. No, not so much. It's just a pistol invented by a cabinet hardware manufacturer. Glock isn't all that. What happened was a lot of newby gun owners who bought into the tribal association when CCW expanded across the country in the last 20 years.

Colt and S&W used to own the LEO market at one time. Don't get cocky. They all have their time and then the next new thing comes along and they fall off their throne.

HOW long did it take for them to offer a 9mm single stack? And is the .380 truly a pocket pistol? Glock shills are all about it but no, it's not really all that.

Whining about the M17 contract isn't winning. Fail.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Glock will offer a drop in trigger model in the near future. At that point kit Glocks will have the one thing they need to become the AR15 of the handgun world.

Or, not. I can see Gaston resting on his laurels while the SIG design pulls away.

The "Glock Empire" is much like the proverbial one in the movies. There's a lot of shenanigans behind the scenes, and if there is ONE thing proven by this contract and by the competition, it's that Glock is fleecing their customers with pricing and hype. It's like reading Rolex posts, it's all about the superlative engineering. No, not so much. It's just a pistol invented by a cabinet hardware manufacturer. Glock isn't all that. What happened was a lot of newby gun owners who bought into the tribal association when CCW expanded across the country in the last 20 years.

Colt and S&W used to own the LEO market at one time. Don't get cocky. They all have their time and then the next new thing comes along and they fall off their throne.

HOW long did it take for them to offer a 9mm single stack? And is the .380 truly a pocket pistol? Glock shills are all about it but no, it's not really all that.

Whining about the M17 contract isn't winning. Fail.
View Quote
Excellent observations.

I'd like to add that  Gaston Glock is already 88 years old which makes it unlikely he's looking all that far into the future of firearms design or new product development.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 4:57:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Only time will tell.  The Bureau's RFTS spec sheet described a P320, yet Glock walked away with that contract.  Hmmm......  DHS/ICE will be on board with the P320 series shortly.  Still waiting on the "corrected" M series.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I might have to jump on the band-wagon. Been eyeing a 320 X-5 for a while, but it might be one of these first.... just depends on which one I see first with cash in hand.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Kool.  A plastic SIG with all of SIG's bad features and only a few of Glock's good ones.  I like the looks of the M17 photo above.  All it needs is a short stock added on to make a small submachine gun.

If the services actually buy larger and smaller frames, they will be installed once and never removed.  Pretty much a waste.

Keep in mind the non shooters making the award did so on the basis of cost.  SIG $200.  Glock $400.  All the rest is window dressing.

As to modularity, a joke.  Except for a few small handed womenettes, I have seen almost NO Gen 4 Glocks with anything other than the medium backstrap installed in actual use.  That makes it identical to the Gen1-2-3 frame size in 9mm and .40.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#18]
The hurt runs deep in this thread when the fact is that SIG went balls to the wall for this contract and Glock just mailed it in so far as meeting the specifications as well as price wise.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Smith and Wesson will ALWAYS own the US police market. ( circa 1989 )
View Quote
Naw dog, last I checked Glock has a 65% market share.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The hurt runs deep in this thread when the fact is that SIG went balls to the wall for this contract and Glock just mailed it in so far as meeting the specifications as well as price wise.
View Quote
They both met all specifications. They both fired 12k rounds. They both passed. Sig have the better deal no doubt about it.

Also. The specs called for an ammo package. Does Glock make ammo? The Sig ammo is top notch
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Glock got Glocked. Now that the value added contracts are slipping away maybe we will see glocks for Shield prices soon. I MIGHT buy one if I can get it for $199 after rebate. Lol. In all reality the 17/19 are likely cheaper to make than the shield due to sheer volume they are produced. Now where do I sign up for the
$200 M17/18 gov over run sigs?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:01:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the point he was making. Before Glock, S&W owned the LEO market, and until 1989 there was nobody in the world that ever thought that would change. Then Glock came in, and with the combination of a great gun, they also priced the S&W and others out, getting a good many departments on board. After a few years, they were in more departments than not. That, and their use in Hollywood movies ( due to the LEO popularity ) led to huge increases in civilian sales.

The Beretta M9 benefited heavily from military adoption and Hollywood, especially Die Hard early on.

This Sig is adopted by the US mil, and has seen a huge increase in sales from it already. Other Fed agencies are following, and, there are LEO departments that are changing over as well. I can't name them, but there were several write ups about some decent sized departments switching.

Mechanically, and reliability wise, there is very little if any real world difference between the P320 and the Glocks. The Sig does offer some maintenance advantages over the Glock to armorers, and end users, and already offers them to civilians. Aftermarket companies are already gearing up to meet demand and innovate as well, including new fire control units that are a step up from factory in caliber coverage and in quality.

This is just the beginning. The camel has it's nose under the tent now, and that's the hardest part.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Im a huge glock fanboy and I cant wait to own a 320 in m17 configuration.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That was my point.  They were unseated from supremacy in that market.  So too will Glock be unseated and likely this is what will do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point.  They were unseated from supremacy in that market.  So too will Glock be unseated and likely this is what will do it.
We shall see.

As I said, I wish SIG the best of luck. However, GLOCK offered something radically different when they knocked S&W off the top. The only "innovation" the P320 offers is a swap-able trigger mechanism, the utility of which remains to be determined. I just don't foresee it being the next big thing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only "innovation" the P320 offers is a swap-able trigger mechanism, the utility of which remains to be determined. I just don't foresee it being the next big thing.
View Quote
Plenty of people running compact slides on subcompact modules for concealed carry.  Looks good, works better.  

It is the next big thing.  Look at the Honor Guard, Beretta APX, Ruger American, Remington RP9() and you'll see the trend moving forward will be chassis pistols.  Sig is the only one that got it right by offering three sizes immediately at release and color options too.  The other companies dropped the ball big time and Remington just plain blows at making pistols.  The APX is doing fairly well and has color options but should've released with a compact version at drop time too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish we could have one P320 thread without the Glock fan boys constantly shit posting in them...
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#29]
In for the shitposting "i h8 glox cuz they populr, and sig won on price but we will dog glox anyways cuz fanboys suck."

And before someone says this is handguns tech, the other side already started this in the 4th post.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
If that happens, will the "I hate glock fanboys crowd" then be the "I hate the p320 fanboys crowd?"  It logically should be, since they hate anything popular.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In for the shitposting "i h8 glox cuz they populr, and sig won on price but we will dog glox anyways cuz fanboys suck."

And before someone says this is handguns tech, the other side already started this in the 4th post.
View Quote
Why does there have to be sides? Some of us have nothing against Glock. We just want to talk about the P320 and the article.

Fucking thread crapping...
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why does there have to be sides? Some of us have nothing against Glock. We just want to talk about the P320 and the article.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The OP thread crapped his own thread.  

Attachment Attached File

Then there is this gem that was posted before I even entered the thread

Quoted:
I wish we could have one P320 thread without the Glock fan boys constantly shit posting in them...
I wish we could have one P320 thread that didn't poke Glock owners in the eye, preemptively, just because.

And for what it's worth, I'd have picked the P320 for that contract given what Sig offered up in it compared to what Glock offered up in their submission.  And like what happened, it would have been total $ spent that did it for me.  I couldn't justify spending more public $ on Glock when Sig was just as good and way cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I think Glock is missing an opportunity here. They said they do not plan to release their XM17 and XM18 submission to the civilian market. They didn't win the contract but they have received a bunch of free press over it. It is clear plenty of people want the Glock submission even if the military didn't.

I think both the Sig and the Glock offerings are good, though I am concerned that this MHS program only had the guns firing 12,000 rounds. That isn't very much testing. I don't care which gun "wins" or "won", I only care that our men and women get the best. I'm not convinced the best can be really determined in 12,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know the differences, if any, between the pistol submitted by Glock for this award, and the one we can buy?  

Gaston has gotten a lot of free press with this; it might be in his best interest to capitalize on it by offering the model they submitted (if it's significantly different).  EDIT to add: Wow, Charlie_Foxtrot had the same thought I did and posted while I was still typing.  

As part of the pre-award survey, Sig would have to demonstrate to the gov that they have a plan to meet the production capacity which should help them in he civilian market as well.  

It's a win-win all around in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I do hope for the sake of all enlisted that will have to use this thing that it doesn't get anyone killed.

I don't like the M9 either but I own one.  I'll own one of these too when it's available to the public.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, ultimately, is the bottom line. The Glock submission looked like it was designed over a long weekend. They either didn't care or arrogantly thought they had it in the bag.

My guess is the former. Glocks are in half of police holsters nationwide and in a good amount of civilian hands and that is not likely to change anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Look at the HUGE Glock aftermarket.

Stippling, reprofiling, cutting 17s to 19 length. Cutting 19s to 26 length. All are super expensive and destroy retail value.

But when it's a $35 not serialized part there is much more freedom for consumers and manufacturers to do that work (plus mag length doesn't need cutting with the 320,because unlike Glock all their lengths used the same lockup)

Plus, there's lots of potential for the aftermarket to make frames without dealing with licensing.

I guarantee people said the same thing about the AR way back when. But now not only do we have 20". 223, but beltfeds subguns, lengths, freaking soda can launchers.
View Quote
Agreed. MHS is a huge deal for the P320. It is now a top dog and going to be around for a very long time. MHS also has now made the P320 10x better of a gun because now it guarantees a ton of after market support as well as locks Sig in to keeping their design and supporting it (MPX, MCX disasters). Seriously Sig is their own worst enemy most of the time
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I do hope for the sake of all enlisted that will have to use this thing that it doesn't get anyone killed.

I don't like the M9 either but I own one.  I'll own one of these too when it's available to the public.
View Quote
Why would the Sig be any more likely to get someone killed than the Glock or M9?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]
This might be my first Sig.....
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Does anyone know the differences, if any, between the pistol submitted by Glock for this award, and the one we can buy?  

Gaston has gotten a lot of free press with this; it might be in his best interest to capitalize on it by offering the model they submitted (if it's significantly different).  EDIT to add: Wow, Charlie_Foxtrot had the same thought I did and posted while I was still typing.  

As part of the pre-award survey, Sig would have to demonstrate to the gov that they have a plan to meet the production capacity which should help them in he civilian market as well.  

It's a win-win all around in my opinion.
View Quote
The Glock MHS submission was a Glock 17 frame with a Glock 19 slide, no finger grooves, a flared magwell with G4 backstrap and a lanyard loop. The lanyard loop intrested me because it was the first time that Glock has implemented a part to block the channel in the backstrap. I wonder if this was an attempt to seal up the frame a little better. That channel was originally left open so the user could easily strip a stuck mag out, this was important back when the Glock used non metal lined mags that would bulge. With current mags this isn't an issue much anymore. The Glock 19 slide also was beveled around the muzzle like the Glock 26. It is impossible to mate a Glock 17 frame with a Glock 19 slide currently. There was a different locking block used, you can see that it uses a single pin locking block like the early Gen 3 and older Gen 2/1 frames. Supposedly it also used a different trigger spring, internally it was set up like the Glock 43/42. The safety appears to be nothing but a block, blocking the trigger bar from moving though that is just speculation on my part. This gun was a huge step forward for Glock. If they offered this with the MOS slide and threaded barrel they could easily market it as a true "tactical" model. I would love to have one with the G17 frame and G19 slide as well as the other way around with a G19 frame and G17 slide.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
It was very interesting that they included a factory milled slide w/cover plate to mount an RDS.

The RDS they chose was interesting but that's besides the point. It'll be a hell of a day to see all the Private Snuffys running around with deltapoints and RMRs (or is that Privates Snuffy in city grammer?)
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82660/Threadcrapping-255236.JPG

I wish we could have one P320 thread that didn't poke Glock owners in the eye, preemptively, just because.

And for what it's worth, I'd have picked the P320 for that contract given what Sig offered up in it compared to what Glock offered up in their submission.  And like what happened, it would have been total $ spent that did it for me.  I couldn't justify spending more public $ on Glock when Sig was just as good and way cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82660/Threadcrapping-255236.JPG

WTF are you like 12 years old? The little triggers with you hidden fan boys are incredible. There is a fucking reason you see posts like my first one in EVERY dam Sig P320 thread.

Any excuse to bitch at someone anonymously on a forum right? Oh and INB4 you post the "irony" when you could have just ignored my post before going all anonymous tough guy.

I was sold on the P320 before the Gov contract. It was getting good reviews regardless. Glock makes awesome striker pistols but I decided to go a different route.

Per U.S. Army requirements, the rear sight assembly differs from commercial P320 models because the M17/M18 features a removable rear-sight plate with an adjustable orange-colored SIGLite tritium night sight. The steel plate covers and protects the footprint needed for mounting a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro red dot sight
The easier sight replacement intrigues me as well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm waiting for someone to come up with a PCC that the fire control module will drop into.

With my luck, it'll be Mako.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the HUGE Glock aftermarket.

Stippling, reprofiling, cutting 17s to 19 length. Cutting 19s to 26 length. All are super expensive and destroy retail value.
View Quote
Now here is the important and most telling point.  People buy Glock, Smith or whatever and immediately think they have to dump money into the aftermarket to make it useful.  What sig has done that is so radical is to make a pistol that does not need the aftermarket. It's already changeable, has a fantastic trigger out of the box, and can be customized to the users needs with low cost plug and play factory options.  This is in fact new and radical.  I have been reading the " I just bought " in the Sig forums and have to laugh a little. Buyers have become so used to getting aftermarket triggers that they ordered one before their pistol arrives.  Wasted money becuase the Sig won't need it.  

For the cop market alone this is huge. Qualification 1 serial number, reconfigure to your daily need.
View Quote
Chances of the department armorer giving anyone a box full of modular parts is pretty much 0. The bigger PDs I know won't even let their officers remove anything from the frame for cleaning, that must be done by the armorer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This might be my first Sig.....
View Quote
320c was my first sig.....I don't have It anymore.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

WTF are you like 12 years old? The little triggers with you hidden fan boys are incredible. There is a fucking reason you see posts like my first one in EVERY dam Sig P320 thread.

Any excuse to bitch at someone anonymously on a forum right? Oh and INB4 you post the "irony" when you could have just ignored my post before going all anonymous tough guy.

I was sold on the P320 before the Gov contract. It was getting good reviews regardless. Glock makes awesome striker pistols but I decided to go a different route.

The easier sight replacement intrigues me as well.
View Quote
Wow, u angry.  I even admitted that I'd have picked the P320, and stated my biggest reason for it would be cost (it was a damn good deal and it's probably a very good pistol).  
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for someone to come up with a PCC that the fire control module will drop into.

With my luck, it'll be Mako.
View Quote
I'm waiting for armchair 3D printer dudes to make some damn grip frames
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top