Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2017 4:32:09 PM EDT
Just moved to Texas, want a handgun for home defense. It will also be utilized by my wife when I'm at work/in the field. Honestly not sure where to start. She's very small, and still fairly new to firearms. I'm more of a 1911 guy, but I'm thinking a 9mm for easier recoil and cheaper ammo. Maybe something like a glock 17? Has to be something small enough for her to comfortably handle. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 19/17 with 30 round mag loaded with 124 grain hst
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#2]
There are many many good choices. Can't go wrong with a Glock 17, I would get a gen 4 as it has a smaller grip circumference.

Best thing to do is go to a gun store and handle a bunch of different guns or better yet go to a range that rents and try some out firsthand.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are many many good choices. Can't go wrong with a Glock 17, I would get a gen 4 as it has a smaller grip circumference.

Best thing to do is go to a gun store and handle a bunch of different guns or better yet go to a range that rents and try some out firsthand.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Better yet hit a range with rentals, let her pick one she can shoot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like your both sorta newish?

I recommend a Sig P226

The Glock 17 is good too but kinda difficult for accuracy (the sig is MUCH more accurate for the vast majority of users)

Personally my group sizes are about half the diameter with a Sig

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
are your intentions to learn to shoot, train, know how to use the weapon or stick it in a drawer hoping you never need it?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd find what fits you both. M&p c, g19, sig... all good choices.

Safety vs no safety is also a question. I prefer no safety but I don't have kids and I don't anticipate my lady grabbing a gun so no safety for me is gtg.

I also like lights on night stand guns. My Inforce apl is dimmer than my tlr1 hl was and I noticed a dimmer light (less bright than the sun) doesn't mess with your night vision.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You're right about that. Most of my shooting experience is older 1911 and revolvers, then a quick once over on an M9. My local gun store actually has a bunch of used 226 for $600. Might have to try one of those out. ??
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This...

Where in TX?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ p07.
Available with safety or decocker. Natural to aim, decent trigger.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
CZ p07.
Available with safety or decocker. Natural to aim, decent trigger.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I strongly agree being in free America find a range with rentals and have her try everything she can and find what works best for her. When I take my wife to the range ( not as frequently as I should) her default favorite is a 1911. I do not find all the popular modern answers to be all that easy for novices to shoot well. And nothing turns off a novice from going to the range like not hitting anything. I am one of those old school proponents of get a good quality target 22 and shoot that. Everyone loves a 22 and it builds confidence in the shooter and gradually advance to a larger caliber. as a general rule ( men and women equally) the smaller the gun the harder to shoot and manipulate. So the often repeated error of getting women small lower caliber guns persists. Full to mid size guns will almost always be better, and since you are not talking carry but home I would stick with the full size your wife likes and shoots best
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#17]
How big are her hands?

The blockiness and size of the Glock grip doesn't make them very shoot able for some people. I wear a large sized glove and still feel like the grip on a glock is to large. I prefer something thinner like a M&P or p320. I also feel like the M&P shoots  more softly than a glock, which isn't a bad thing for a new shooter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're right about that. Most of my shooting experience is older 1911 and revolvers, then a quick once over on an M9. My local gun store actually has a bunch of used 226 for $600. Might have to try one of those out. ??
View Quote
I love da/SA guns. They might be my favorite type. That being said it takes a lot of work to become proficient with one. If you both put in the time than either a Beretta or a sigp226 would be great.

Otherwise buy a glock, sig 320, m&p 2.0, etc. Whichever you both enjoy shooting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Take her to the range and rent some and see what she likes and which gun she can manipulate. My wife couldn't rack the slide on many semi autos. If it turns out all yours can do is a 22 then that's better then pepper spray. But see what she can manipulate first
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#20]
In addition to the recommendations about find a range that offers rentals, I'd suggest also looking for one that offers training classes so your wife can take a basic handgun course. My wife did a three hour basic course at our local range, and the instructor brought several of his own pistols for the student to try (my wife took my Glock 17). She left the course feeling a lot more confident in her ability to operate a pistol safely. While I've taken her to the range before and could certainly give her a class myself, I find that it's always more effective for people who are just getting started to take a formal class from someone who isn't family or a close friend.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]
For a smallish woman a Glock 17 or Sig 226 would not be appropriate in my opinion. But neither me nor anyone else on this forum can pick a gun for you. All you'll get when people throw out a particular gun brand and model is that person's choice, which means squat for you.  

The best suggestions are the ones for rentals and decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For a smallish woman a Glock 17 or Sig 226 would not be appropriate in my opinion.
View Quote
What SHE will use.

Neither your nor anyone else's opinion matters.

And make sure she will use it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd choose something with a safety if your wife is new to guns. M&P9C is a good all around striker fired gun and has a safety option.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Something to just keep in mind if you decide to rent some examples:
Range rental guns may be clapped out pieces of junk and may, due to lack of proper maintenance, malfunction or be inaccurate.
May not be accurate representation of a new or well maintained piece.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#25]
They make 1911s in 9mm. And thanks to the heavy weight of the pistol, they're very manageable recoil-wise.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Teach her too shoot that 1911. My daughter was shooting mine at 11. And she's small.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS! I did this with my Mother in Law. Glocks, 1911's, M&P's, S&W's, Revolvers, etc... we tried 12 brands/styles or more. She chose a CZ P-01 because it's compact, has a decent trigger that gets better ever range session, and she could work the slide easily! It's of no use if a woman cannot comfortably work the slide every time. After that is achieved the ease/ability of pulling the trigger must be considered. I've taught women to shoot where they had problems pulling a heavy trigger unless it was put into single action only mode, i.e. a revolver... Let her chose her own pistol and make sure she can fully function with it. She'll be more likely to practice with it and be capable should the need to use it ever arise! My wife commederred my Springer "Loaded" in .45ACP. I prefer an M-36 S&W revolver for carry most of the time now with a P-01 being second in line. Women love to pick their own clothes, cars, men, etc... Why wouldn't they want to pick their own gun? This has been my experience with the subject anyways!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Plain and simple. One that you can shoot accurately and feel comfortable with.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Since it's for home defense ignore everyone recommending some sort of compact firearm and get a full sized gun.

Also, probably 9mm since it's the easiest to shoot.

I'd vote:

Glock 17
M&P 9 2.0
HK VP9
Walther PPQ
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
In for responses.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:11:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Try a few to figure out what works for her and what doesn't.
Glock 19/17
M&P 9mm 2.0
CZ P10
FNS 9

All those are worth a look, then go from there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Something big and heavy, to minimize recoil.
Get a weapon mounted light and laser.

I would recommend a Beretta 92FS.  Accurate and low recoil.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#34]
G19, night sights, WML
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#35]
When you go to the range to try out some pistols include the Glock 42.
Lots of small women really like the soft shooting small grip Glock 42, and it can be carried easily if you choose.

Other good options are Glock 19 and CZ P10c

There is no need for a safety since you will keep the gun in a holster that covers the trigger.
Novice shooters need a gun you can pull and shoot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Why not use an AR15?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 1:28:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah most any 9mm with a rail for a light and night sights will work fine. Glock 17/19 or M&P9 or Sig P226/229 or HK P30 and so forth. I would probably lean towards a DA/SA like the Sig if you're just going to leave it laying around. Less likely to have a ND with a heavy trigger. Have to be a bit more careful and take training more serious if you're going to leave a striker fired gun laying around. Have good trigger discipline. Of course either way it's probably smart to get a handgun lock-box to mount in the bedroom. 
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I asked the same question
 Maynard gave me a suggestion that may fit the bill.
A pistol caliber carbine.

Benefits.  Low recoil,  less noise due to the longer barrel

No need for the compact size of a handgun since it will be used for HD.  

Easier to aim and shoot, especially with a red dot scope.

I am going to start with a 10/22 with a Tasco Pro Point and see how she does.  I think the hits she will get on a B -27 target at 20' will give her immediate confidence.

That is what I am going to try first with my wife
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#39]
For home defense, where the gun is likely left on a nightstand or in a drawer or in a small safe - ie without a holster - I'm a big fan of a DA/SA.

A CZ P09 (19+1, low recoil) with a Streamlight TLR-2G flashlight/green laser combo would be a good, easy to use option for HD.

Then pick up an airsoft version to practice with at home / practice force on force and room clearing:
http://www.evike.com/products/50079/
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]
For a home defense gun, why limit yourself with a pistol when you could have this...      (link)

Stupid reliable
Next to no recoil
Very little muzzle blast
Cheap to practice with
Relatively quiet indoors
Much longer practical range
Greater red dot and light flexibility
Faster to shoot accurately than any pistol
Helps make novice shooters shoot like pros
Helps experienced shooters shoot to the level of their bragging
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]
AR Pistol
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
AR Pistol
View Quote
I don't think I would do that unless you have a can on it.

I still say M&P m2.0 with the small back strap or a sig p320c.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#44]
If its a pure home defense gun then I always recommend long slide versions. I'm going to go with a glock 34 if its not going to be concealed. G17 grip length with added barrel length and sight radius. I find them more shootable and a little more forgiving than the g17/19. If you are considering a g17 why not just get the 34 and its increased shootability? Despite all the talk about the grip being too big/uncomfortable, I've seen so many women shoot glocks (and all pistols, really) to believe any of that nonsense. Unless she is 4 feet tall with 4'' hands she has the ability to learn to shoot any pistol comfortably.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Ruger P95
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Vp9, will fit her hand better than a Glock.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then look for a used M10 Smith round but and call it macaroni.  
Or get two used m10 smiths.  
Nothing wrong with a 38.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Go to a range and shoot as many pistols and revolvers as you can, merely holding the gun rarely gives a true measure of trust and comfort with the weapon.  Get what is comfortable to you and her, you may end up getting two firearms because what fits you may not fit her (and vice versa).  She has to be comfortable with and trust the gun to be effective with it, make sure it fits her hand AND her eye.  Stay away from less than common calibers (.357 Sig, 10MM), yes members I know these are not "uncommon" calibers but they cost substantially more than 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.  I believe there is a direct correlation between the cost of practice ammo and the amount of practice.  Since the FBI went away from .40 S&W that ammo can be had at a really great price and is a great option (I love .40).  However, the 9mm cartridge will suit a smaller statured person better (the real reason the FBI went back to 9mm in my opinion and not "advances" in R&D of the 9MM cartridge, although that caliber is a great option bar none).  Have fun picking out your home security system,  As stated above you will get recommendations of what the forum members like and not necessarily what you will like here, HOWEVER, my wife LOVES her Glock 19 and had never really fired a pistol before on any consistent basis.  A G 19 is REALLY hard to beat for all of the options it gives you.  Last, but not least, my wife (even though her eye prefers her G 19) shoots my Springfield XD 45 BETTER than her Glock, but again her eye prefers her Glock.  BTW don't buy Springfield I just saw a post here where they cut a deal in Illinois regarding some gun control law.  Anyway, have a great weekend and enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For a home defense gun, why limit yourself with a pistol when you could have this...      (link)

Stupid reliable
Next to no recoil
Very little muzzle blast
Cheap to practice with
Relatively quiet indoors
Much longer practical range
Greater red dot and light flexibility
Faster to shoot accurately than any pistol
Helps make novice shooters shoot like pros
Helps experienced shooters shoot to the level of their bragging
View Quote
I really like PCCs but prefer handguns for home defense.

If I'm stepping outside or kicking in doors again give me 556.

My wife isn't the best handgun shooter but is very comfortable with rifles/PCCs. She was rocking a sig mpx pistol with brace a couple weeks ago that someone brought into the range.

The Beretta, sig, or even the keltec would all be good choices depending on you and your wife's comfort and skill levels with a handgun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
If it's just for home defense I'd say get a 20 gauge loaded with buck and call it a day. If you really want a pistol, as others have said go to a range and try a lot of rentals to see what both of you like. Due to my small hands I have trouble with the P226/229 and Glocks because of their grip circumference, but the small and/or medium on a P320 fits me great. You may want to start there if either of you have small hands as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top