Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 6:34:42 PM EDT
Just curious for people who have carried pistols with nitride finish for a while.

How is it holding up? pic's welcom thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nitride holds up well but some put finishes over the nitrided metal that may or may not hold up as well.  If you are carrying it should not matter because after drawing a lot every finish will wear.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I know Glock calls their finish by a different name, but isn't it really the same as nitride?  If so, my Glock slides that have the older, shinier finish still look mostly brand new, including a 27 that gets tossed under the seat of the truck and a 23 that I've carried in a holster almost every day for over 9 years.  The more dull finish they put on the newer ones does show wear though.

Edit for pics, taken from the muzzle end since that tends to show the most wear.  Also, the first 4 are of what I believe is the older finish, which looks more shiny and is more durable, and the last 2 pics are the more dull finish, which I think is still technically a nitride or nitride-like finish, but definitely shows wear much more easily:

9+ year old Glock 23, carried almost daily... Slide looks brand new:

Glock 27, bought used from pawn shop so I don't know anything about its history but since I've had it it gets carried in a holster, back pocket, or tossed under the seat of the truck, and the slide looks brand new:

Next is a police trade-in Glock 21, slide looks brand new:

The next one is a police trade-in Glock 17, and is the only one of my Glocks with the shiny finish that has any noticeable wear.  If you look close you can see a few scratches, which I believe were caused by me getting sand in the plastic or kydex holster.  There aren't any rub marks or anything else on the finish though.

So from my experience, Glock's nitride finish ("tenifer" I believe they call it) is extremely durable.  That 23 in the first picture has been everywhere with me, shot a lot, saturated with sweat, dropped on asphalt, you name it, and I can't find a scratch anywhere.  The other treatment Glock uses is still very corrosion resistant, but shows wear pretty easily.  I have a few with the other finish, but the one that shows the most wear is this police trade-in Glock 22:

I might be way off base here, but hopefully that is somewhat helpful.  If not, I just wasted a shit load of time doing all that on my phone
Top Top