Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 2:37:00 PM EDT
I'm really focusing on collecting 9mm pistols I can both carry and enjoy at the range which puts me looking at the Glock 19 size family of pistols. I've also just started to get away from striker fired and exclusively getting into DA/SA hammer fired. So far for this role I have a CZ P-01 and a CZ P07. Both are excellent but like anyone, I'm wanting more options. I could go with another CZ easily but I've been curious about the water in the Sig pool.

The only experience I have ever had with Sig was a compact P320 and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. Without getting into that topic I realize an all metal hammer fired Sig is night and day from the P320 so I'm willing to give Sig another chance.

For a carry 9mm should I pull the trigger on finding a nice P228?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good to me.  

Have you tried a Beretta PX4 compact yet?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like the P228.  Sweet DA/SA package.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my P228 but I put Heinie sights on it and a SRT trigger and it is pretty tits.
Here are a few of my 9mm.....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
They are nice.  I have 3.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 228 West German with the SRT and a M11-A1.  And while I might get booted off some of the SIG boards for saying this, I actually like the M11-A1 a little better.  Just need to change out the hammer spring to an 18lb Wolf.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a pre-Cohen P229 no rail .357 sig.  It was nice, even better when I put on Williams Fire Sights, but not nice enough to keep.  I sold it.  Uber high bore axis makes Sigs just not as ergonomic as Glock, FN, etc etc.  I haven't ever regretted dumping it or the P2022 that preceded it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 228 West German with the SRT and a M11-A1.  And while I might get booted off some of the SIG boards for saying this, I actually like the M11-A1 a little better.  Just need to change out the hammer spring to an 18lb Wolf.
View Quote

Can you tell why? Most everything I've read said the P228 is better due to less weight and thinner.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
If you tell me tomorrow Glocks are banished form the earth I will go to my P228 and be very happy.  

Owner of a 1994 German model here.

The balance and feel of it is just better than the M!!, and 229 siblings.  I would like to have one of the rarer P228R models though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
When the question is 228?  The answer is always "Yes".
Although I have changed mine over to the new E2 style grips, I like them better than the original 228 style.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
In another thread you complained the P2000 sat too high in your hand compared to the P07. So the P228 will be the same. Sigs are notorious for tall slides.
If you like the P07 get another one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get the m11. 228 but with stainless slide. Same specs as m11 but comes with all the goodies you'd want. Short reach trigger and short reset trigger and nightsights. 15 round capacity.

I have a question for the 228 people,  doesn't it concern anybody that parts for the pistol may not be available?
I'm not talking collectors but the edc people.  The pistol hasn't been made in 10 years and things like extractors might not be always available
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can you tell why? Most everything I've read said the P228 is better due to less weight and thinner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally subjective to me.  I have read everything you have read too.  I bought my 228 on a Gunbroker auction and paid a little too much for it, but loved it greatly.  Still do.  Then I got a chance to pick up a LNIB M11-A1 that was used at my LGS for a song.  For some reason it just fits my hand a little better, and feels better.  Both shoot great but I hit a little better with the M11.  Why, I don't really know.  If you know someone who has one, or if you can rent one to shoot, try it.  There is really not much difference size or weight wise between them.

I think you would be happy with either.  The one neat thing I like about the 228's is the history.  I really wanted a WG when I was looking for mine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it. There is nothing like a classic stamped-slide P228.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a question for the 228 people,  doesn't it concern anybody that parts for the pistol may not be available?
I'm not talking collectors but the edc people.  The pistol hasn't been made in 10 years and things like extractors might not be always available
View Quote
That is somewhat of a concern. AFAIK, the breach block and extractor are the only two parts on the upper that are hard to find. I have a spare for both. There are several sources for "p228 parts kits" which is basically a disassembled used P228 less the serial numbered frame. Usually around $250 to $350. The lower end is still current production parts that are used in the P229.

As far as the W German folded slide P228 vs the P229, there is a different feel to these. Most seem to find the P228 balances better. I'm in that camp. That said, my p228 mostly sits in the safe. Comes out a couple of times a year to blow the cobwebs out, but doesn't currently assist in security work. That's okay. I like looking at it and I know if need be, it would serve me well in most any assignment. 

Obligatory picture
image hosting site over 5mb
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]
P228 and add the SRT or M11-A1 or P229 SAS. All are great SIG pistols.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorite gun.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top