Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 1:49:30 AM EDT
So I'm having to replace my LW Commander which is my daily CC pistol.  My daughter has laid claim to it, and she's going off to college, so who am I to deny her the pistol she loves?

Now I've been asked by several of my friends why I didn't buy a G19 since it's always the pistol I recommend, and I'm always talking up the virtues of the G19...
For a daily carry full size or close to full size carry pistol to be carried IWB, I consider the Glock 19 the benchmark standard.  They're light, thin, generally compact yet I consider them full sized, and of course quite reliable.  The G19 has an awful lot going for it...it's a nearly perfect pistol for a daily carry gun.  

There are some fantastic guns out there that can do the job, some a little better than the G19, and some not quite so well as a G19.
I finally landed on the CZ P-07 as the right gun for me.  After a lot of rounds through a P-07 I decided that it was easily as reliable as a G19...or at the very least, it was far more reliable than I'll ever need.  What I mean by that is, I would have to shoot a LOT more rounds to be able to find it's limitations.  I don't shoot a gazillion rounds per trip to the range anymore...FOR ME my training is much better when I keep things to a reasonable number of rounds, and focus on quality of training over quantity.  

So the P-07 seems to have similar reliability to the G19; check.
Ergonomically, the P-07 fits me much better than the G19, so that makes it a better choice FOR ME.
It doesn't have a polygonal barrel...I detest polygonal bores; I'll take traditional rifling every day of the week.  (personal preference, polygonal barrels are perfectly adequate and get the job done just fine; but I don't care for them).
Trigger - Well they don't really compare directly do they?  I have no problem with a G19's trigger, but the constant G19 pull is far closer to the DA pull of the P-07, so when I get to the SA pull, it has the G19 beat all to heck.  So, I'm declaring (for me) the trigger to be better.
Accuracy.  Simply put, in my hands the P-07 will shoot circles around the G19.  

So what I have found for me was.  A pistol that's more accurate than a G19, just as reliable, same weight, only slightly thicker++, roughly same overall size, better trigger, better ergonomics in my hand, and out of the box, better sights.  What's more, I save $50.00 over a Glock in the same configuration .

So all this is to say....FOR ME.....The P-07 was the superior gun.  I still compare it to the G19 because the G19 is such a solid pistol that I judge most pistols against the Glock offering

So for the owners of Glocks, I hope you don't feel like I've somehow belittled your beloved Glock; because the Glock 19 is a magnificent pistol.  But thank God for choice, because there are a good half dozen other options out there for guys like me that end up providing a better experience overall, while still matching up to the Glock's performance.  And in my book, if your carry gun meets or beats the performance of a G19; then you've chosen well.  

++ The CZ P-07 is a little thicker, but when you actually carry the two pistols, you can't tell the difference where thickness is concerned.  It should also be noted that the P-07 drops into any G19 holster, so clearly the difference in width is very minor indeed.  

So here's the one I ended up buying...
CZ P-07 Suppressor Ready, Urban Gray

Holster is HBE Leatherworks COM III.  Simple put, the best IWB holster money can buy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice pistol !!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats. I came to the exact same conclusion and bought the same model to replace my G19. I did a little sanding on the beaver tail since I carry appendix and no regrets here at all!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on you're new CZ! I have quite a few Glock's and have been happy with them for years. Recently however, it seems that Glock has started to drift away from the foundation that built their reputation. The finish on the new gen4's isn't what it used to be and my RTF2 Vickers G19 gave me BTF with every mag until I changed out the extractor.

I have never shot a CZ pistol or even held one in my hand but all of the positive feedback has my interest peaked for sure. I have been seriously looking at picking up a SP-01 Tactical and giving it a try here very soon!
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I love my G19 but the P07/9 is a pretty tits pistol.  It is on my short list to snag eventually but I will wait till I find one used.  I know a lot of people who buy the pistol shoot a box of ammo through it and hate it for the same reason they hate the Glock after one box of ammo.  Like the Glock the P07/9 needs to be shoot so the trigger can smooth out.  I shot my buddies the first day he got it and the trigger was meh.  By the end of the day and about 750 rounds through it the trigger was much better feeling.  I am still on the fence though if I want a Phantom or a P09.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my G19 but the P07/9 is a pretty tits pistol.  It is on my short list to snag eventually but I will wait till I find one used.  I know a lot of people who buy the pistol shoot a box of ammo through it and hate it for the same reason they hate the Glock after one box of ammo.  Like the Glock the P07/9 needs to be shoot so the trigger can smooth out.  I shot my buddies the first day he got it and the trigger was meh.  By the end of the day and about 750 rounds through it the trigger was much better feeling.  I am still on the fence though if I want a Phantom or a P09.
View Quote

Out of the box my P07 trigger was the same. DA had a good bit of stacking. A little time with a dremel and it was great. A few cheap parts from CGW and it was perfect! Best trigger I've felt in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Out of the box my P07 trigger was the same. DA had a good bit of stacking. A little time with a dremel and it was great. A few cheap parts from CGW and it was perfect! Best trigger I've felt in my opinion.
View Quote

Yeah the guy I shoot with once he has his kid plans on ordered a CGW package for his and want me to install it.  He shot my CZ 75BD with my CGW upgrades and now wants his tweaked.  His was stacking and was kinda gritty feeling but now it is still a bit heavy but smooth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Glocks have never fit my hands well, with their great reputation and all the support for them I've really wanted to love Glock for a long time but just can't. My P-07 fits my hand like a glove. Its my go-to carry and nightstand gun (TLR-3 attached). Best bang for the buck too, I got mine for $100 less than a G19 with two mags and +2 base pads from the factory. Its usually the first gun I recommend now
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Glocks have never fit my hands well, with their great reputation and all the support for them I've really wanted to love Glock for a long time but just can't. My P-07 fits my hand like a glove. Its my go-to carry and nightstand gun (TLR-3 attached). Best bang for the buck too, I got mine for $100 less than a G19 with two mags and +2 base pads from the factory. Its usually the first gun I recommend now
View Quote

I have gotten past even recommending specific pistols to people.  I recommend finding the pistol out of X Y and Z brands and avoiding A B and C brands.  I find pushing my likes and bias does no one a service other than me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I've handled a P07 at my LGS on 4 different occasions with the intent to go in there to purchase it and always end up not liking it as much and end up buying something else. I like the way it feels in my hand and like the trigger but I detest the very small portion of the slide that is exposed for manipulation. I have large (I wear XL gloves and they fit snug) and it just seems awkwardly small to me. I think OP did his homework and found something he likes and will work for him well which is great.

As far as recommending a DA/SA hammer style pistol to people over a striker fired design I don't agree with that. The vast majority of people that require a handgun recommendation aren't going to put thousands of rounds through their gun and train with said gun to reach a high proficiency level. They're going to buy it shoot it 200 times and let it sit in the drawer by the bed collecting dust (until they decide to sell it to one of us for $350 ). I think this type of gun owner benefits from a simpler easier to use design like a G19, they seem like good guns and a great gun for guys that shoot and are "gun guys" but just not the best gun for anyone and everyone like the G19.

EDIT:
Quoted:I have gotten past even recommending specific pistols to people.  I recommend finding the pistol out of X Y and Z brands and avoiding A B and C brands.  I find pushing my likes and bias does no one a service other than me.
View Quote

THIS.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've handled a P07 at my LGS on 4 different occasions with the intent to go in there to purchase it and always end up not liking it as much and end up buying something else. I like the way it feels in my hand and like the trigger but I detest the very small portion of the slide that is exposed for manipulation. I have large (I wear XL gloves and they fit snug) and it just seems awkwardly small to me. I think OP did his homework and found something he likes and will work for him well which is great.

As far as recommending a DA/SA hammer style pistol to people over a striker fired design I don't agree with that. The vast majority of people that require a handgun recommendation aren't going to put thousands of rounds through their gun and train with said gun to reach a high proficiency level. They're going to buy it shoot it 200 times and let it sit in the drawer by the bed collecting dust (until they decide to sell it to one of us for $350 ). I think this type of gun owner benefits from a simpler easier to use design like a G19, they seem like good guns and a great gun for guys that shoot and are "gun guys" but just not the best gun for anyone and everyone like the G19.

EDIT:

THIS.
View Quote

I have that issue with my 75 and SP01 the midget slide can be difficult to grasp.  I will say this trying to manipulate it in the gun store for 5-10 mins is much different than actually shooting the pistol for an afternoon.  Once you become accustomed to the midget slide of the CZ it becomes an after thought.  I still to this day find myself riding the slide stop of my Glocks if I draw it incorrectly.  If you train with something long enough you get used to the intricacies.  Now after hundreds of dry fire draws with Glocks I have trained my thumb to ride my left hand rather than the slide stop.  I am training myself with my G43 currently because my thumb rides the slide stop overtime i shoot it.

If you have a friend who has a P07/9 ask him to let you shoot it for awhile and see how you like the slide then.  If you do not like it move on still tons of great pistol choices out there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Great looking set up OP.  I love my P07 but the only thing I really miss is Trij HD's like I have on my other pistols.  I have the Dawsons from CJW on it now, I even filled the front perimeter with florescent orange nail polish, but its not the same.  Hopefully someday...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I want that pistol as a host for my AAC TiRant. Buy the time i buy a couple barrels for the P226's and the 19's I could just buy this. I really liked my P-09 I had.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a long time glock guy, but I haven't had one run right since I fucked up and went to the Gen4 back in 2012.  My 2008 G19 was everything a pistol should be.  

I have been through about ten Gen4 9mms and have had btf out of all of 'em.  Last week I put 1K through a brand new 19 at a 3 day course.  I think about 5-600 of the cases landed on, or hit me.  

The pistol and all accessories were sold immediately.  

H&K P2000 from here on out.  The Glock 43 I have is an excellent little ankle gun and is the only Glock I own.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have gotten past even recommending specific pistols to people.  I recommend finding the pistol out of X Y and Z brands and avoiding A B and C brands.  I find pushing my likes and bias does no one a service other than me.
View Quote
ww

This is such good advice and as the OP pointed out, we have several excellent choices on the market these days...we are both blessed and spoiled!  So, I'm now in this same position of recommending a handgun to a co-workers wife.  I have a dozen handguns in the size she's interested when we go to the range so she can try some out, but I won't recommend anything specific but I will recommend a few to avoid.  Any of the major gun manufacturers make quality,o reliable self-defensive handguns.  What is important is budget and comfort and the individual's personal requirements.  

I still think the Glock 19 is probably the ubiquitous standard for starters.  It's not the end-all-be-all, but a good starting point.  There are so many different requirements, it just takes time to find what works best for your own situation and shooting comfort (be that grip angle, DA/SA, external or no external safety, etc.).  CZ did well on their P07 and P09 (I have the threaded barrel version of the P09).  It's always good to see people find what works best for them through informed experience and testing.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
CZ and FN are my absolute 2 favorite firearm manufacturers if for no other reason that they bring the latest cutting-edge firearms right from being designed for the military to our gun store shelves. No two companies do it better, faster or cooler than CZ & FN. It also does not hurt that the quality, tolerances, engineering, fit and finish these two companies' products display are top notch as well.

Because of this I try to support these two companies as much as I can. I have 3 FN Five seveN pistols, an FNX TAC-45 in FDE, and a PS90 SBR. I have several 22lr rifles from CZ and will purchase the Bren 805 pistol in 300blk when they ship next quarter.

I have refrained from buying the P-07/P-09 line because of the lack of something to grab onto to get the pistol up and running. The importance of slide manipulation has not been lost on me in my training. So much so I just sent a couple of my carry pistols off to ATEi to have some additional serrations milled into the slides and some stippling work done. There just is not a lot to grab onto slide-wise on the P-07 pistol. It's all frame. It kills it for me. The new P-10C series has a much bigger slide and I need to check one out. I meant to grab a hold of one when I was at the CZ booth at SHOT, but I was there for a meeting and had to run off to my next appointment.

Plus I am not a DA/SA pistol guy and have not been for years. I think I currently only own 1 DA/SA pistol (FNX TAC 45) and it is just for the range and photo shoots. (I have a large collection of S&W revolvers, but that's another story). I want one consistent trigger pull on my defensive pistols please. Even the old Gen 3 S&W semi autos I own have a DAO triggers. So with its bigger slide and striker fired action the P-10C would serve me better. I could definitely see buying the Suppressor version.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I am ready for the P-10
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I should have my p07 next week
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice looking pistol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:19:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice pistol, I'm also on the fence of picking up one of these
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I tried to like the G19, it just didn't work out-couldn't shoot it worth a hoot. Love my G17, G34 and G22. My last 2 gun purchases have been the CZ SP-01 Tactical and the CZ P-07, I see more CZ's in my future.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

EDIT:

THIS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

EDIT:
Quoted:I have gotten past even recommending specific pistols to people.  I recommend finding the pistol out of X Y and Z brands and avoiding A B and C brands.  I find pushing my likes and bias does no one a service other than me.

THIS.

We teach a safety-Selection Seminar during which the student fires up to 12 different handguns.  That way we can watch what they shoot best and they can buy something they feel good about.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We teach a safety-Selection Seminar during which the student fires up to 12 different handguns.  That way we can watch what they shoot best and they can buy something they feel good about.
View Quote

This is a good technique and one I think is worth a lot of value.  Learning the manual of arms isn't that difficult, but choosing a handgun that you're comfortable shooting is significantly more important (assuming they are reputable designs).  Just curious as to what 12 handguns you offer for them to test?  

I've done some informal training and I always get the amateur shooter who wants a small handgun.  After they fire a few, the almost all decide a larger handgun isn't so bad.  My wife has access to my little selection (about 30 different handguns), but she first decided on a Bersa Thunder .380; sold it and bought a Ruger LC9 and then later added the Ruger SR9c.  She's fired and handled dozens of handguns and those two Rugers just fit her better, she was more comfortable and more accurate.  Choices are a great thing.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Great report. I love the g19 but as I consider aiwb thinking p07. The holster similarities may just put me over the edge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I did the exact same thing and bought the same model...............kept it for about a month and sold. Still like the Glock better and this is coming from someone who hated Glocks for the longest time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did the exact same thing and bought the same model...............kept it for about a month and sold. Still like the Glock better and this is coming from someone who hated Glocks for the longest time.
View Quote

That's what makes handguns so tricky to recommend. I did the same thing- bought a P-07, shot it, sold it because it just didn't do anything for me that my G19 didn't. Some people absolutely love it though.

When my wife was picking out a gun I only guided her away from a few truly unsuitable pistols. She shot everything from a LCP to a Sig 226. She ended up picking a 9mm Shield (that she loves) which is another very popular pistol that I just don't get along with.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I like my CZ-P07 quite a bit.

It's accurate, and feels great in my hands.

That said, that's really all I could say could about it in stock condition.  The sights weren't very good, and the trigger left a lot to be desired.

Now, I liked the pistol so much that I determined it was worth it to keep it and fix its flaws.

I spent a small fortune on it basically throwing the Cajun Gunworks catalog at it.  In it's current state it is quite impressive.  But the entry cost went up considerably.

And that's not a knock on it either.  It was perfectly serviceable in factory condition.  And I would likely have done the same to a G19 to make it work best for me.

Just throwing it out there.

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:59:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's what makes handguns so tricky to recommend. I did the same thing- bought a P-07, shot it, sold it because it just didn't do anything for me that my G19 didn't. Some people absolutely love it though.

When my wife was picking out a gun I only guided her away from a few truly unsuitable pistols. She shot everything from a LCP to a Sig 226. She ended up picking a 9mm Shield (that she loves) which is another very popular pistol that I just don't get along with.
View Quote

Very true. I really wanted to like this pistol, it was a smoking deal with the sights/TB but it just felt awkward.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the comments guys.  I remain a big fan of the G19.  No it's not perfect, but to me it's the benchmark.  I mean, when looking for an EDC, you START with the G19 and work from here.  A lot of people will just come right back to the G19 and I can't blame them.  I've never cared for the Glock grip angle but for me that's a rather tiny issue, my mind just automatically compensates and everything is fine.  I'm not crazy about the Glock trigger, but it's the standard and if you don't like it there's a dozen options to improve it.  I really don't care for Glock's barrels. The less case support is an inconvenience but a very minor one, but for me I just don't like polygonal barrels; mostly because traditional cut grooves shoot cast bullets much better, and I really like that option.  Still, those are minor complaints.  The G19 has SO MUCH going for it that it's just a hard gun to beat for a daily carry gun.  FOR ME I was lucky enough to find something that works better than the G19.  We have so many really excellent options these days.  I'm betting the CZ P-10 is going to be a real winner also, but I don't buy self defense guns that haven't been out on the market for at least 5 years.  I'm happy to let others do the beta testing for me.  

The trigger is the weak point on the P-07.  DA is really excellent right out of the box.  SA is very light, so it's easy to score well with this pistol, but it's VERY creepy; and at some point that's gonna have to be addressed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Glocks feel really small in the trigger area for my hands.  My trigger finger is kind of bowed and it's either going to drag on the frame on the upperside outer part, or the inside of the bottom.  And it just feels all cramped.  I'm not sure how much it affects my shooting but I think it does some.  It also doesn't allow me to get more trigger finger in there to try and overcome the shooting left.  I don't shoot my G26 as left as I did my G19, but at times I do.  

I actually really like Glocks stock sight picture.  If they were metal, that would be great.  I know you can get them that way.  I don't know why but that big white U doesn't bother me.   I used to hate the grip angle but I only own a G26 now and it's not as bad as the bigger ones.  

Anyways.....  I'm glad that you can have a thread like this and not have everyone bite your head off for not salivating about a G19.  Although you also didn't put down the G19 at all.  But there was a long time that you either liked a G19 or you were called to be burned at the stake.  Around here.    Seems like CZ's have really gained a lot of people's trust over these last 5-7 years or so.  Actually probably a lot longer than that but I don't think quite as mainstream.  

There is a lot more love for other guns now a days.  Which I think is a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Wait.........OP called the G19 "THIN"?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I normally complain that every CZ trigger I've tried has sucked. Every single one. Including CGW guns and heavily used ones.

Last night I was RSOing and a shooter had a po7 that I handled. The trigger reset was a little long but not bad. Besides that the DA was smooth and even and the SA was better than my g19 but wasn't as nice as my 1911 or Berettas SA but it was good enough that I could live with it.

It will be a while but I definitely want one now.

There's a lot going for the p07. Mag prices suck though. Will they fit in leather g19 holsters?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#32]
I got a P07 yesterday, Love it. Think its going to replace my G19.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top