Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2016 10:14:05 AM EDT
Is the Beretta/Taurus 92 series the best kind of handgun for a suppressor/silencer?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the sig P226 is one of the quietest hosts....but we are talking an almost impercievable difference between it and other guns.

One nice thing about the beretta is you can thread the OEM barrel an you are ready to rock and roll.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is the Beretta/Taurus 92 series the best kind of handgun for a suppressor/silencer?
View Quote

No, not at all. The front sight post is too short to be used when a can is attached. What you want is a gun made for a can from the git-go. Sig 226 Tacops, H&K USP SD/Tactical or FN Tactical are all made with tall front sight posts.

I would also add get one with a threaded bbl but all of those listed above come that way from the factory.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
ive had great luck with my glock 17 factory threaded
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Hk45T, USP, or Sig
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Negative

USP TACTICAL

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, not at all. The front sight post is too short to be used when a can is attached. What you want is a gun made for a can from the git-go. Sig 226 Tacops, H&K USP SD/Tactical or FN Tactical are all made with tall front sight posts.

I would also add get one with a threaded bbl but all of those listed above come that way from the factory.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just aim through the can like everyone in the military for the past 20 years

Berettas are tits with a can
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Sig 226s and X5 for a host. Aiming through the can isn't bad. I have an RMR 'd host and its red bull can at 75m all day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Many of us like to see the target, not the can. YMMV.

I have shot a 92FS with a can. It's certainly not "tits" by any means, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
USP Tactical .45, came already threaded. W. German 226 bought a factory threaded barrel, but still had to have it fitted by a gunsmith. Glock 17 3rd gen, Lone Wolf Barrel, dropped right in. Ruger MK III Bull Barrel, had it threaded for a Sparrow. Anyone is a fine host, it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy the gun already threaded and then buy the piston in the same thread pitch as the gun, unless you bought it knowing what thread pitch the host will be.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The 92 design has a fixed barrel, right? so no need for a recoil device?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No the barrel is not fixed. It slides back under recoil. Ideally, you still need a recoil device.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I keep both eyes open and focus on the front sight and the target is blurry, just like with no can.

I wouldn't waste money on suppressor hight sights either.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No the barrel is not fixed. It slides back under recoil. Ideally, you still need a recoil device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found this post from a gunsmith in Arizona:

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
https://s22.postimg.org/9djjtbzjl/Post2.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://s22.postimg.org/9djjtbzjl/Post2.jpg

Makarov PM and Walther PPK pistols are straight blow back designs with fixed non reciprocating barrels. A twenty pound suppressor hung on the end of the barrel will have no effect on the cycling of such a pistol.

The Beretta 92 is still a locked breach, short recoil design. The barrel must move (with the slide) to allow the mechanism to unlock. Weight added to the muzzle can negatively effect the cycling of this system. In my experience with 92A1 and an Isis-2 9mm, the pistol will cycle reliably with a fixed mount, even with reduced power 9lb recoil spring. The same set up with the booster module runs great, even with an extra power 15lb recoil spring.

The difference between the 92's locking wedge design and the tilting barrel of most other service pistols (1911, SIG P22X, GLOCK) is the barrel motion is liner. The barrel does not need to lift the weight of the can to unlock. Theoretically making the 92 more tollerant to additional weight on the muzzle then tilting barrel guns, but it is far from immune to the effects as fixed barrel pistols are.

ETA: The Beretta 92 is my favorite suppressor host.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock 35 with 9mm conversion barrel is the most quiet host I own.

I've tried a Glock 19/17, Beretta 92, HK USP 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are very, very few "fixed" barrel handguns. The H&K P7 series is among them, for example.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but virtually all suppressors will come with, or will need, a booster. I believe rimfires may be among the few handgun calibers that don't need one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There are very, very few "fixed" barrel handguns. The H&K P7 series is among them, for example.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but virtually all suppressors will come with, or will need, a booster. I believe rimfires may be among the few handgun calibers that don't need one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rimfires often are fixed barrel designs so they do not require a booster.  

And you are correct fixed barrel handguns aren't all that common.  In order to suppress one you'll need to remove the pin holding in the barrel, drive the barrel out with a press, press in a new extended and threaded barrel (or have a sleeve put on your original and thread that), put the barrel retaining pin back in and go shoot.  

Another fun, but stupid all at the same time, gun to suppress is a Nagant revolver.  Sure the trigger sucks and it's chambered in a weird caliber but it's a suppressed REVOLVER!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]

But I'm probably biased, cause this one is mine...
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]

USP T

(not me shooting)

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the Beretta 92, but I would have to say the the HK .45 USP tactical is my favorite suppressor host.  

The USP is such a great pistol.  I think it is underrated.  Let down by the propriety accessory rail.  I bought the usp specific streamlight and an RTi compatible custom holster.  My go to rig.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ss2nv/media/IMG_2852_zpstv6asb9c.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/ss2nv/IMG_2852_zpstv6asb9c.jpg</a>

But I'm probably biased, cause this one is mine...
View Quote

Gotta say, aestetically, Mk23 is the ticket!

That said, I prefer a glock since I can hold the slide closed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm really happy with my P-09. The sights are excellent and clear my griffin can. Its a lot of gun for the money.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Negative

USP TACTICAL

View Quote

+1 This!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#24]
A quality 1911 makes for a great host. 230 grain stays subsonic and it just feels solid with an all metal gun.
" />
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#25]
CZ all the way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I got to shoot a glock 17 with a suppressor and while it was quiet it was still pretty God damn loud.  I mentioned this to the gun smith after tell him how quiet our 22/45 lite with a warlock suppressor was.  He said the same thing

"A suppressed 22 handgun is pretty much the perfect handgun.  The bigger calibers get heavy in the front and they are still loud."

Don't believe me?  There was a thread talking about this in the suppressor forum.  Most commented didn't shoot handgun suppressed guns above 22 and instead shoot PCC guns with the suppressor mounted to them.

I realize this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but it's the voice of reason.  Look at a 22/45 lite with a suppressor.  We have blown through so much 22 ammo this summer due to that suppressor it's ridiculouss.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#27]

I have fired that combination before and that guys face nails the reaction to the first shot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I got to shoot a glock 17 with a suppressor and while it was quiet it was still pretty God damn loud.  I mentioned this to the gun smith after tell him how quiet our 22/45 lite with a warlock suppressor was.  He said the same thing.
View Quote

Allow me to note that A) Not all suppressors are equal, i.e. some are quieter than others; & B) using subsonic in a 9mm host is a must for utilizing all a suppressor can offer.

My apologies if everyone already knew all this.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Allow me to note that A) Not all suppressors are equal, i.e. some are quieter than others; & B) using subsonic in a 9mm host is a must for utilizing all a suppressor can offer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got to shoot a glock 17 with a suppressor and while it was quiet it was still pretty God damn loud.  I mentioned this to the gun smith after tell him how quiet our 22/45 lite with a warlock suppressor was.  He said the same thing.

Yeah we did all that.  Not sure what the can was, probably the Titans 9mm, but like I said it was still pretty loud.  A quick and dirty check shows a 10db difference.

Personally I would just get the combo I suggested.  Nothing beats blasting a suppressed 22.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CZ all the way.
View Quote

Really hard to beat for the $$.

8 shots at 25yards
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Ruger Mark II 10 inch bull barrel target.

You can counter-bore the barrel and build in the unit.

With .22 standard velocity it is VERY quiet.

As in assassin quiet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Negative

USP TACTICAL

View Quote

I've been lucky.  I've shot most brands of handgun with most models of silencerco cans.

The USP Tac in .45 is the best host pistol I've fired.  

Honorable mentions are the Sig P220/P226, and my CZ P07.  1911's are awesome hosts as well.

Glocks unlock very quickly, and have more blowback with most cans.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:26:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got to shoot a glock 17 with a suppressor and while it was quiet it was still pretty God damn loud.  I mentioned this to the gun smith after tell him how quiet our 22/45 lite with a warlock suppressor was.  He said the same thing

"A suppressed 22 handgun is pretty much the perfect handgun.  The bigger calibers get heavy in the front and they are still loud."

Don't believe me?  There was a thread talking about this in the suppressor forum.  Most commented didn't shoot handgun suppressed guns above 22 and instead shoot PCC guns with the suppressor mounted to them.

I realize this probably isn't what you wanted to hear but it's the voice of reason.  Look at a 22/45 lite with a suppressor.  We have blown through so much 22 ammo this summer due to that suppressor it's ridiculouss.
View Quote

In 9mm full size guns with 115grn ammo, yes.  Still pretty loud.

Load some 147s or 158s and shoot the can wet.  HUGE difference.  The can makes a lot of difference as well.  My Hybrid is stupid quiet on my P07 and USP45Tac, but its a freaking rifle can rated to .338LM or .45/70
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Sig 226 tacops
HK USP Tactical or HK 45
CZ
Glocks

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd go HK or Sig
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Surprised no mentions for the FNX-45.  I don't have one, just considering all the options for a new host as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I really cant tell that much of a difference with my handguns.  Ive shot a P226, P228, 92FS, G17, G19, G26, and a USP9f with my Gemtech can.  All have been reliable with quality ammo and all are quiet enough especially when using subsonics.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 5:46:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Glock 87 with beans
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 2:11:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Surprised no mentions for the FNX-45.  I don't have one, just considering all the options for a new host as well.
View Quote

I have a fnp tactical and it's a lot louder than my 1911 suppressed. But like my Glock 17 with osprey the best. Don't have a threaded barrel for my p226.but had a 220 and liked it more than the fnp for sound suppression.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#40]
M9 is a great host.  You can thread the factory barrel...
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#41]
HK USP Tactical or Mk23.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Beretta 92, way better for a suppressor than any tilting-barrel pistol. Lot of times, they don't even require a booster.

The POI on the 92 requires you to put your target behind the front sight anyway, not on top of it, so have a can block your front sight is... Kinda meaningless from my perspective.

Not a fan of getting the factory barrel threaded, myself. More things that can go wrong. Plus, y'know, I'd rather keep it unmolested for the sake of resale value. I'd just pick up an extended and threaded one, bunch of companies make good ones with a nitride finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top