Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 5:37:06 PM EDT
Saw my first one in the wild Sunday at the show.  Local range had one on display.  $350 as I recall and they weren't supposed to sell any for a couple of weeks yet,  Some Remington thing I guess.

I was interested.  Fit my hand nicely.  Trigger was ok.  I liked the sights.  Nice compact size.  The guys said they had run a lot of rounds thru their rental gun and it seems to work.  

I never saw one of the first gen guns.  Those came and went rapidly.  Friend had one and it went back to Remington in less than two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I seriously considered an R51 Take 2 edition as I really liked the way it fit my hand.  I ended up not picking one up as I didn't;t want to gamble with $400.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
After the previous run of the R51's and the problems. Plus the recall and problems with my newly purchased Remington 887 shotgun.

I have lost  all  faith and confidence in the newer Remington products. You won't see any new ones in my safe.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have fired 100 rounds of surplus Danish AMA-89 9mm in the R51; I had no malfunctions and the accuracy was good.  The pistol was cleaned and lubed before shooting with Weapon Shield and the wear spots received a touch of TW25B.  There was very little wear after 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
They do look pretty small and compact but they are going to have a tough row to hoe in order to beat the S&W Shield, IMO.

There's no way I would be rushing into one without some sort of long term reliability baseline.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Don't shoot steel case ammo all that well it seems.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Like the other poster said I have lost all faith in new Remington products.
What they did with Marlin was unforgivable IMO.   There are to many better options for compact 9mm pistols without the gamble.
     I think if they built a quality product then priced it right vs picking a price to build a firearm at the outcome would be much better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
About the only thing I'd buy from Remington these days is a stripped 870 receiver.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to pass
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Couldnt give me a Remington anything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I would like to have one, but I am willing to wait a few years to buy it
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They do look pretty small and compact but they are going to have a tough row to hoe in order to beat the S&W Shield, IMO.
View Quote

Same size as a Shield, but alloy frame and Single Action trigger.   That puts it several points ahead of the shield for me.

As everyone else has pretty much said though, I'm not ready to trust Remington and their Q/A.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same size as a Shield, but alloy frame and Single Action trigger.   That puts it several points ahead of the shield for me.

As everyone else has pretty much said though, I'm not ready to trust Remington and their Q/A.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see an aluminum frame as any kind of benefit personally.  Aluminum will eventually yield after accumulating enough stress.  It's also heavier than polymer (though maybe not compared to a polymer frame with steel subframe) and more susceptible to corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
was at the sportsmans ware house today the salesman picked 1 up and racked the slide and locked that gun up bad enough to have to send it back right out of the box seems like they still have issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcf1cTJCGk4

View Quote

The lack of a fully supported chamber is a big problem in that action.  Just look at the spent cases... perfect mold of the ramp where the case wall starts.  One thin/weak/brittle case and you'll have a case rupture.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
You can buy a Shield or an LC9S for about the same $$. Both of those guns are proven to work. So what's the point of the Remington?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can buy a Shield or an LC9S for about the same $$. Both of those guns are proven to work. So what's the point of the Remington?
View Quote

Exactly...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I still think it looks cool.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a need/want for a small, single stack 9mm, friday I picked up a shield. The R51 is an interesting design, but for a CCW I am not interested in an unproven design, I want boring reliability.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
In 100 rounds I had 4 failures to feed. I want to like this pistol but I question if it will hold up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In 100 rounds I had 4 failures to feed. I want to like this pistol but I question if it will hold up.
View Quote

Given the poor reliability what you have there is a range toy. If you're happy with that OK. Otherwise I'd let the new owner 'like it.'
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Pass

There are enough reliable options available with good aftermarket support, I would not even consider the R51 under any circumstances
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The lack of a fully supported chamber is a big problem in that action.  Just look at the spent cases... perfect mold of the ramp where the case wall starts.  One thin/weak/brittle case and you'll have a case rupture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of guns have unsupported chambers.  Why is it more of a problem in that particular action?

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the looks of it and wish this think had been executed properly.  Too bad.

On the other hand, I've got a Remington R1 stainless 1911, and it is fantastic.  One of my favorite guns, and it has a buttery smooth action that is similar to MUCH more expensive 1911's, and better than its peers in or near its price range.  I also just picked up a Marlin 1895 for $299 bucks at WalMart.  I couldn't pass it up for that price.  I put about 14 rounds through it on Saturday and it shot very well.  The fit and finish on it look great, too.  I had read that while they caused all kinds of trouble for Marlin products, they have more recently done much better.  With all the talk of Remington being crap, mine all work as they should, and in the case of the 1911, I think a bit better.  I've got a couple 870 Express shotguns I bought in '99 that work very well, too.  They feel kind of cheap, but I've brought LOTS of ducks down with them and they've been 100% reliable.

That said, like everyone else, I'm still a bit wary of their products.  I looked that 1895 over with a fine tooth comb before purchasing.  My brother bought one at the same time, and his looked and worked really well, too.

I still wouldn't touch the R51 with a 10 foot pole, though.  I don't think the design or the quality are there.  Hard to believe that with all the technology available to help in design, they could foul so badly on a pistol and let it get out into the marketplace like they did.  That think has really bruised and shamed the company.  I hope they learn enough from it to bounce back stronger than ever.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lots of guns have unsupported chambers.  Why is it more of a problem in that particular action?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because an "unsupported" chamber in a Browning action still supports the case walls until pressure drops and the action unlocks.  On the R51, the case blows back a short distance before the locking shoulder engages.  Full barrel pressure hits the exposed case wall and bulges it outward.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I couldn't resist (yes, I am sallow and go for looks) and bought one.  I fired 71 rounds through it.  It shot well, but I had one failure to feed.  The round didn't strip off the magazine and the slide stuck about half way open.  Then I had four instances of the gun feeding but the slide slowed down but still fed.  I was shooting Aguila 124 grain 9mm.  I really like the feel of the gun.  As I shoot it I will try to let you know how it works or not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Shot ten more magazines last weekend.  It was a mixture of reloads (powder coated bullets) and Aguilla.  No failures but still had three times were it hesitated to feed but did feed (with factory Aguilla).  My powder coated reloads shot and fed with no issues.  Total I now have 141 rounds through it.  Take down is a little funky but manageable.  I had to watch the video on Remington's website.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I was really excited when this first came out. Ended up with a shield, glad I went that route. Maybe someday if they work the bugs out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#28]
personally think they are damn ugly but thats besides the fact its a Remington. There has been nothing but problems with them as of late
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I finally found a new Gen 2 Remington R51 at one of our distributors. It came in last Friday. Right out of the box it had trigger reset issues. I've also seen two negative reviews so far on YouTube (VSO and Firearms Blog). I'm not sure what Remington "fixed" over the course of the last 1.5 years or so, but I still have an original and plan to compare them side-by-side to see what Remington actually changed -- if anything.

Meanwhile, here is a short clip showing the trigger reset issues my new pistol had out of the box. I hope to tear it down and see if it's something that can be easily remedied or if through use it corrects itself. Regardless, the new Gen 2's are starting to look as though they're as problematic as the Gen 1's given what I've seen so far.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKyHSbSg-qg/?taken-by=militaryarms
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I finally found a new Gen 2 Remington R51 at one of our distributors. It came in last Friday. Right out of the box it had trigger reset issues. I've also seen two negative reviews so far on YouTube (VSO and Firearms Blog). I'm not sure what Remington "fixed" over the course of the last 1.5 years or so, but I still have an original and plan to compare them side-by-side to see what Remington actually changed -- if anything.

Meanwhile, here is a short clip showing the trigger reset issues my new pistol had out of the box. I hope to tear it down and see if it's something that can be easily remedied or if through use it corrects itself. Regardless, the new Gen 2's are starting to look as though they're as problematic as the Gen 1's given what I've seen so far.

View Quote
It's just another safety, you have to pull trigger 3 times before firing

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently it is a "feature" given the comments I've seen on the IG video. Other guys from gun shops have reported the same issue with their guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the issues with the Gen 1 R51 was that it was easy to reassemble the gun incorrectly thereby causing the gun to lock open with every shot fired. The slide stop spring is designed in such a way that not paying careful attention during reassembly can result in the spring ending up below the slide stop instead of on top of it thereby reversing its function. Making matters worse is that it's hard to see what's going on given the size of the parts and their proximity to each other. It can be done correctly every time, but again, it takes a deliberate effort to do so. Many people I suspect will be unaware of this idiosyncrasy and wind up with an improperly functioning gun in their holster.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKyzzq-ggxM/?taken-by=militaryarms

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got close to 500 rounds thru my gen 2 gun now without cleaning. Had less then a handful of issues with the gun, it's not a gun anyone wants to take apart, but it's fairly dirty and still chugging along. Remington could have done a better job for takedown as it is a bitch. I've been seen the two videos saying it sux, but with the ones we have sold plus my own I am a  bit skeptical it's as bad as they make it out to be.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:41:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
After the previous run of the R51's and the problems. Plus the recall and problems with my newly purchased Remington 887 shotgun.

I have lost  all  faith and confidence in the newer Remington products. You won't see any new ones in my safe.

View Quote

This. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
They brought the R51 to market, and there were issues that would never make it past a quality control department.
Ref. video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ65wbjq6t0

Do they even check the guns before they go out?

Then they bring it back and its STILL having issues. Com'on remington. I really wanted a 700 to be my go to bolt gun. But I'm strongly reconsidering this.

LOL, I didn't even know MAC was in this thread before I posted his video.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You crazy, MAC. You're the only person I know that keeps a broken gun, simply to compare it to a kindastillbroken gun.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I shot mine again this weekend.  One of the things that I don't like about mine is the lack of chamber support.  The bulged cases concern me as a ammo re-loader.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 1:42:22 AM EDT
[#37]
It pains to me to say it but Remington is a crap company right now.  I wanted an R51 back when they were first introduced, but I didn't trust Remington to make a good product.  Last week I wanted a pocket 380, one of the guns the counter guy wanted to show me was the Remington RM380, but it's Remington, so I passed as fast as I passed on the Taurus and KT offerings.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I didn't shoot steel, but mine couldn't cycle hollow points at all, and the hollow points weren't all that aggressive in nature (fairly rounded nose). That, and I even had a failure to feed with a ball round (stick around to the very end of the video). As with the Gen 1 gun, it seems the quality varies wildly. I got my gun through RSR as a dealer, just like every other dealer in the country (not a T&E sample from Remington) and mine is far from perfect and certainly not reliable enough for me to consider it for daily carry.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pass

There are enough reliable options available with good aftermarket support, I would not even consider the R51 under any circumstances
View Quote

Truth
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#40]
It seems like the nose-diving issue is quite common. I've seen it in most every video of the new Gen 2 guns and usually with hollow-point ammo.

Here's a play list of independent reviewers and all of them have issues including the nose-diving problem.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmmUI-v7SXNs9SwCP2eSIEijftZejvaUA

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Just watched the video Tim, what a steaming pile...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top