Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2016 9:12:51 PM EDT
So I've been stocking up on my .45 ACP as two of my favorite handguns (FNX-45 Tactical and a Kimber Stainless Pro TLE II) are chambered in the round. I've been getting the itch to purchase another pistol in .45 but I'm just not sure what I want. I've thought about another USP (have one in .40) but it's more of the same.

I prefer hammer fired DA/SA or SAO handguns, is there something I should really take a look at that the members of arfcom recommend?  Upfront, I like Sig rifles, not as big on the handguns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

So I've been stocking up on my .45 ACP as two of my favorite handguns (FNX-45 Tactical and a Kimber Stainless Pro TLE II) are chambered in the round. I've been getting the itch to purchase another pistol in .45 but I'm just not sure what I want. I've thought about another USP (have one in .40) but it's more of the same.

I prefer hammer fired DA/SA or SAO handguns, is there something I should really take a look at that the members of arfcom recommend?  Upfront, I like Sig rifles, not as big on the handguns.
View Quote
There is only one DA/SA handgun in .45 ACP worth owning.

(not my pic)

S&W 1917.

If you're looking strictly for semi autos tracking down a EAA Witness match elite is always a good investment. Affordable pistols but give the accuracy of match guns that cost much, much more.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(not my pic)

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/dexternikki/Smiths/MusicEvents110.jpg

S&W 1917.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(not my pic)

S&W 1917.

He's not wrong yano...I'd love a 1917.  The only other wheelgun in 45 I'd want is a S&W 652JM or S&W 352

As for semi autos....do you have an interest in a CCO type 1911?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He's not wrong yano...I'd love a 1917.  The only other wheelgun in 45 I'd want is a S&W 652JM or S&W 352

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While completely awesome, IMHO a modern revolver chambered in a semi-auto cartridge might as well be .38 super or 10mm.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Cz 97

Or this:
https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-sar-k2-45acp.html?___SID=U
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Now that looks pretty awesome, I'm pretty on board with this idea plus a new semi auto. [

quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer hammer fired DA/SA or SAO handguns, is there something I should really take a look at that the members of arfcom recommend?  Upfront, I like Sig rifles, not as big on the handguns. There is only one DA/SA handgun in .45 ACP worth owning.    

(not my pic)

S&W 1917.

If you're looking strictly for semi autos tracking down a EAA Witness match elite is always a good investment. Affordable pistols but give the accuracy of match guns that cost much, much more.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Sar K2 45.  Big, heavy, accurate,14+1 and only $369 to boot.  I like mine a lot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Springfield Armory Loaded, Range Officer, or the TRP as far as 1911's are concerned. USP 45, Sig P227, or the HK45 are all solid choices too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:53:31 AM EDT
[#8]
HK USP45.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll have to reconsider the USP 45 then, I do love the one I already have. The TRP looks awesome too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#10]
HK45 to mix it up from the USP line
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna tell you to take a look at the Springfield XD (original mod).  I've got the 5" tactical (13 + 1) and the 4" compact (10 + 1).  Both have been 100% and are excellent guns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm gonna tell you to take a look at the Springfield XD (original mod).  I've got the 5" tactical (13 + 1) and the 4" compact (10 + 1).  Both have been 100% and are excellent guns.
View Quote
The OP strictly stated he's a SAO and DA/SA kind of pistol guy.

Strikers are awesome, but it isn't for everyone nor should it be force fed. Let;s help him find something he wants
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:02:09 AM EDT
[#13]
You already have a 1911 and an fnx, it sounds like your practical needs are fulfilled . I submit a purely fun gun, just for smiles.

The vector pistol, because you only live once.

Or maybe a converted webly

Lots of fun and a little bit of neat factor.

Or forget acp, tear the space time continuum and go for a single action army. .45 lc is a blast to shoot and a little class never hurt anybody.

BBQ example

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Strikers are awesome, but it isn't for everyone nor should it be force fed. Let;s help him find something he wants
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure glad GSL is here to keep us all in line.  

If we're going to nitpick, the OP also said he's not in to Sigs...come on GSL, let's not force feed the poor fellow.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The S&W model 25 or 625 are excellent in 45 ACP. They have long history of fine accuracy and an excellent action.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a Ruger P90 years ago and sold it but was able to find another. They are big and overly built but they are amazingly accurate and soft shooting. The HK pistols are a great platform.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#17]
You already have two of my favorite 45's, the FN Tactical and 1911. The HK USP Tactical is nice also, or the newer HK45. The Sig P220 is also nice, the 227 for extra capacity is decent too. Actually I'd probably go with a STI Tactical pistol if I was you, love those guns and extra capacity of the standard 1911. I was looking at the Wilson Combat Texas BBQ Special pistol the other day, and damn if that wasn't a nice ass gun. I just don't have the $5K it's worth, ha. The S&W M&P 45 is also nice, put an APEX trigger kit in and it's sweet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
G30
Yes I know it is striker fired and it fits the hand with all the grace of a brick .
I am a long time 1911 lover and as much as I tried to hate the G30 I just shoot it so well I have to give it lots of respect.

Reasonable price ,great resale , great factory support and great aftermarket support and it sort of defines reliable ,plain and boring but it's a shooter

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'll have to reconsider the USP 45 then, I do love the one I already have. The TRP looks awesome too.
View Quote

The TRP is awesome...
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
If you can get your hands on a P220 Super Match, take it home with you.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

(not my pic)

S&W 1917.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(not my pic)

S&W 1917.

I would love to own a S&W 1917.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Haha thanks GSL for keeping the group on target.

Honestly didn't even think of a fun gun like a Kriss. This opens up some possibilities.

Thanks all for the suggestions thus far!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A) the OP used the word "prefer" SA/DA.  No where did I read the he has absolutely ruled out striker fired guns.
B) the original XD line of pistols tend to be very popular with folks who like the 1911 platform, and he seems to like the 1911 platform.
C) I'm not "force feeding" anyone, anything.  It's the internet.  He can choose to take or ignore any advice he gets.
D) how is you being a d-bag to me, helping the OP more than me suggesting he look at two great .45s?
E) I'll stop at D
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A) the OP used the word "prefer" SA/DA.  No where did I read the he has absolutely ruled out striker fired guns.
B) the original XD line of pistols tend to be very popular with folks who like the 1911 platform, and he seems to like the 1911 platform.
C) I'm not "force feeding" anyone, anything.  It's the internet.  He can choose to take or ignore any advice he gets.
D) how is you being a d-bag to me, helping the OP more than me suggesting he look at two great .45s?
E) I'll stop at D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

E) I'll stop at D
Reading comprehension.

I stopped after A. because it was pointless by then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

E) I'll stop at D
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

E) I'll stop at D

You'd better be careful...you're going to make GSL's  hissy fit / "ignore list"...then where will you be without his telling you what you can / can't say?

He's kind of like that little girl we all remember from grade school...you know, the one who runs around trying to mother all the other kids and who likes to stay in at recess to grade papers for the teacher.  I also remember that girl was always far from the best or brightest...she just had to be up everbody's butt desperately trying to be what she's not.  That's GSL.

Of course, I'm on his little hissy fit "ignore list," so he'll miss my asessment of his continued d-baggery.

Oh, if you make his ignore list, he'll make a big production out of it...he needs you to know that he's exercised his authority...it's priceless.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd recommend either a Sig P220 as a single stack option or an HK USP45 for hicap. My Sig has a really sweet factory trigger, but my HK USP 9mm is 16 years old and still runs like it's brand new. I recently replaced the recoil spring but after comparing them the old one looks as good as the replacement.

I also have an older CZ97B, it's big n heavy but has a great SA trigger. Has a long DA trigger pull which doesn't fit everyone's hand. Trigger feels a lot like a S&W N frame revolver.

No bad choices here. I'd also looked at a used or new S&W .45acp revolver. They're nice, but more than I'd want to pay just to shoot cheap .45acp. If I'm spending that much I'll go with another mod.29 and start reloading .44mag again. I went with a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. Not really a big fan of single action cowboy guns, just liked the fact it didn't need mooncliips.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

S&W 625
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

S&W 625
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&W 625

I've got the 625-8 PC Model, it's a fun gun to own and shoot; very accurate.

For range use, you  can shoot them without moon clips and just flick out the fired cases if you choose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Full size HK USP or the compact.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks everyone for all of the replies, I've been thinking about this and the winner is a Kriss Vector SDP in 45. It has no practical purpose but to become an SBR (it'll be form 1'd for sure) but I know I'll get a shit eating grin every time I shoot it.

When the bonus check comes in December it'll be time for a USP in 45.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#32]
CZ 97 or Jericho 941.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I like the CZ 97BD for DA/SA
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#34]
OP seems to have made up his mind, but I'll toss in a suggestion anyway: SIG 227. This one is a carry model with a 3.9" barrel.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#35]
HK USP 45, unless you need a picitinany light rail to saw down trees.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#36]
For a reasonably priced gun look at the Ruger SR1911 full size or Commander size. I have the LW 9mm Commander and it's a wonderful gun. I'm a 1911 45ACP guy at heart but the 9mm LW Commander is great for carry. I also have a STI Ranger II 45ACP all steel Commander and a Colt 45ACP LW Commander. After an adjustment to their extractors they are now 100% reliable with JHPs. If you want a less expensive 1911 look at the RIA line, very good guns at great prices.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#37]
S&W 4506/4566?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You already have a 1911 and an fnx, it sounds like your practical needs are fulfilled . I submit a purely fun gun, just for smiles.

http://files.harrispublications.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/12/Kriss-Vector-SDP-13.jpg

The vector pistol, because you only live once.

Or maybe a converted webly

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2015/09/27/4729494_02_british_webley_mk_vi_455_45_ac_640.jpg

Lots of fun and a little bit of neat factor.

Or forget acp, tear the space time continuum and go for a single action army. .45 lc is a blast to shoot and a little class never hurt anybody.

BBQ example

http://www.engravingtransfers.com/usaf3_right_side.jpg

View Quote

OMFG!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Okay, I saw about the hammer/striker, but really, if you want a work-a-day .45 auto that can 'take a lickin' and keep on tickin', how about the new Ruger American? Its a good-looking polymer/striker that addresses many of the shortcomings in similar pistols and was designed and built to be a service pistol. It has a milled steel chassis instead of the usual stamped steel or milled aluminum. There are a number of other features that are good, such as the grip adjusting backstraps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Sig 220
Sig 227
Sig 320
XDM 45 compact
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(not my pic)
S&W 1917.

The original Model 25 is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd say get a USP45 Tactical, but you'd wind up never shooting your FNX

CZ97 is the other obvious answer, but you'll be in danger of ditching your 1911 if you go that route.

SAR K2 45 if you're willing to risk NEVER needing service from EAA, who are dickbags.  The gun is freaking sweet.  If the all stainless version makes it stateside for similar money to the black one ($400-$500ish) I'd be hard pressed to pass it up, and I HATE EAA after the debacle that was my SAR B6Pc.

But really OP, if you don't have a USP Tactical, and love the .45ACP round, you're missing out on what is very possibly the best gun ever made for it.  Barrel threads are the same as the Kriss you're getting also, FYI.  Get a 45 suppressor regardless of anything else.  Sooner you start the paperwork, the sooner it will get done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:20:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

CZ97 is the other obvious answer, but you'll be in danger of ditching your 1911 if you go that route.

SAR K2 45 if you're willing to risk NEVER needing service from EAA, who are dickbags.  The gun is freaking sweet.  If the all stainless version makes it stateside for similar money to the black one ($400-$500ish) I'd be hard pressed to pass it up, and I HATE EAA after the debacle that was my SAR B6Pc.

But really OP, if you don't have a USP Tactical, and love the .45ACP round, you're missing out on what is very possibly the best gun ever made for it.  Barrel threads are the same as the Kriss you're getting also, FYI.  Get a 45 suppressor regardless of anything else.  Sooner you start the paperwork, the sooner it will get done.
View Quote

Your Hate for EAA just made me buy a K2

Didn't even know I wanted one
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know EAA had bad customer service?  I dealt with them a few times awhile back and they were chill as hell and handled business. Only place better is RIA.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I didn't know EAA had bad customer service?  I dealt with them a few times awhile back and they were chill as hell and handled business. Only place better is RIA.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to get too off topic, but I got a SAR B6Pc from CDNN.  The front frame insert broke in less than 200rds.  They would fix it if I shipped it to them on my dime.  I asked if they would just send me the $20 part, I'm an FFL, I have a full time gunsmith, who has done this exact repair before on your shitty gun.  Nope.  OK, fine, I'll just buy it.  Can I buy another 13rd mag for it?  No, we only sell 10rd mags in CO.  We know its not the law, we just do it that way anyway.  

I fixed, and sold the gun, for a very small loss.  

The K2 is sooooo nice though... I still want one.  Grip the size of an M9 but holds all that 45, the one we had in the store had an amazing trigger, and was crazy accurate.  And I think its a damn fine looking pistol.  But EAA's seeming lack of any interest in fixing or replacing a defective gun left a very sour taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I really like my Sig P227.  I ended up selling my Glock 41 because I shot the Sig so much better.  The Glock 41/21 frame is just a little too big for my Carny hands.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Now that looks pretty awesome, I'm pretty on board with this idea plus a new semi auto. [

quote]Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

I prefer hammer fired DA/SA or SAO handguns, is there something I should really take a look at that the members of arfcom recommend?  Upfront, I like Sig rifles, not as big on the handguns. There is only one DA/SA handgun in .45 ACP worth owning.    

(not my pic)

S&W 1917.

The 1917 is pretty awesome... Check out S&W's model 626 "Mountain Gun" as well. It's a really sweet .45acp revolver...
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cz 97

Or this:
View Quote

I can certainly vouch for the 97B model. It's more accurate than my semi-custom Springer Loaded model. I like the idea of carrying it cocked N' locked, or on half cock, or even hammer down in DA mode. The trigger has obviously been polished at the factory. The chamber ramp and barrel throat has as well and is polished to a mirror/glass surface. It feeds every hollowpoint I've tried. The only thing I didn't like about it was the front fiber optic sight. A robust pistol like the 97 series shouldn't have a fragile FO front sight... YMMV. So, I ordered a set of Tru-Dot's from CZ custom. I like it just as much as the aforementioned 1911. 10+1 capacity is nice as well...
ETA: Pic goodness... The CZ family...

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EAA warranty service is notoriously horrible. If you think you've heard bad stories about shitty companies such as Taurus... then double the worthlessness for EAA. You better hope your new K2 doesn't need warranty service. If it does, just pay to have it fixed. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Cz 97

Or this:

View Quote
Exactly this.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top