Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2016 12:20:57 PM EDT
I am looking at purchasing a handgun (Kahr P380). What is the going rate to ship a handgun from a private party to an FFL.

It would be coming from the east coast to Phoenix AZ is you have that level of detail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
$50-75 by common carrier (UPS or FEDEX overnight) insured for full value.

Find a FFL who will ship it and they can use USPS flat rate.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$50-75 by common carrier (UPS or FEDEX overnight) insured for full value.

Find a FFL who will ship it and they can use USPS flat rate.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive used  http://www.shipmygun.com/go/ before and it was cheaper. The only problem is if the party isn't in there they have to agree to be added.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive used  http://www.shipmygun.com/go/ before and it was cheaper. The only problem is if the party isn't in there they have to agree to be added.
View Quote

This,4 times without any problems.Most dealers are on their list.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
FFL's can ship via USPS priority.  Mine charges $15 fee + $13.65 for the box/shipment
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]
>>Find a FFL who will ship it and they can use USPS flat rate.<<

Not only will it be cheaper to ship via an FFL, but in many cases the receiving FFL will NOT accept shipments from non FFL holders.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently shipped a gun on my own to an FFL (I am not an FFL) and it cost me 121 dollars.  From Wisconsin to Maine.  Fedex will only do overnight that way.  I would've been better off finding and FFL to do it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Shipmygun.com offers a great service; you'll be able to ship a handgun for around $40 + insurance costs.  The downside is that the dealer has to be on their list.  Just make sure the dealer knows that the gun is headed their way and that they will do a transfer from an individual.  I had a problem with a dealer who, despite being on the shipmygun list, refused to do the transfer when he realized the gun came from an individual.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Ship ground or 2nd day, overnight is ups and fedexs dumbass policy. Whats in the box?  Machined metal parts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ship ground or 2nd day, overnight is ups and fedexs dumbass policy. Whats in the box?  Machined metal parts.
View Quote

And if it is lost you are out everything.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not only will it be cheaper to ship via an FFL, but in many cases the receiving FFL will NOT accept shipments from non FFL holders.
View Quote

This,

Shipping via UPS/FedEx is stupid expensive

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, its a firearm. Fail to follow the carriers policy and you will get zip on a claim for loss, damage or theft.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, its a firearm. Fail to follow the carriers policy and you will get zip on a claim for loss, damage or theft.

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

If you read the actual cites from the U.S. Code you'll note how wrong that ATF FAQ answer is.......in short, no Federal law requires notification when shipping interstate to a licensee. (and ATF has admitted that the FAQ is wrong, but they just won't fix it)
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you read the actual cites from the U.S. Code you'll note how wrong that ATF FAQ answer is.......in short, no Federal law requires notification when shipping interstate to a licensee. (and ATF has admitted that the FAQ is wrong, but they just won't fix it)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've started running into this lately and there is no basis for it in law. What I have found is they will accept the shipment and do the transfer if they have a picture ID for their files and to reference in their log book. I don't like sending a picture of my driver's license to unknown people any more than they like accepting a gun from an unknown person, but both sides grudgingly go along to get along. And, I don't sell guns often, so its not a constant fight. I don't even average one a year so I can deal with the stupidity. With hand guns, I just have my local FFL mail them for which he charges $30.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you explain this please? Link to where they admit it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a letter dated may 18, 2001.
I have a copy of it only as an image and do not want to wast hours trying to send it.

If you PM with a valid email addresss I will try to attach it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/5/2016 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FFL's can ship via USPS priority.  Mine charges $15 fee + $13.65 for the box/shipment
View Quote

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a pistol from a FFL. Shipping was by USPS, 2nd day priority.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insurance pays, you can tell fedex/ups they lost/stole a scope, or dildo.  They won't know.  AFT is who you report the stolen firearm too with no time limit, after the claim is paid.

Jesus, it's like talking to children, or grown men afraid of their own shadow.  Tell them you did notify fedex/ups when you shipped it, how would they know the difference.  Do what you want folks, it's your money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Insurance pays, you can tell fedex/ups they lost/stole a scope, or dildo.  They won't know.  AFT is who you report the stolen firearm too with no time limit, after the claim is paid.

Jesus, it's like talking to children, or grown men afraid of their own shadow.  Tell them you did notify fedex/ups when you shipped it, how would they know the difference.  Do what you want folks, it's your money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The carriers insurance is NOT going to pay for a gun that was shipped as "machine parts" in violation of their rules of carriage.

They LOVE to find any out they can and will use it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fraud.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#24]
When DogtownTom speaks, smart people listen.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#25]
So, just to be clear, I can ship a handgun with UPS or Fedex by just boxing it up with no requirement to notify? Anything thing else I need to do?
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So, just to be clear, I can ship a handgun with UPS or Fedex by just boxing it up with no requirement to notify? Anything thing else I need to do?
View Quote

There is no Federal law/ATF regulation that requires notification when shipping a firearm interstate to a licensee.
Both UPS and FedEx have a requirement to notify, as well as requiring you to ship according to their policies.
FedEx Overnight or UPS Next Day.

Fail to abide by Federal law and you can be fined or imprisoned or both.
Fail to abide by the carriers policies and any claims for loss, damage or theft will be denied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top