Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 9:16:10 PM EDT
My older son has earned his Bachelors Degree for social work. He has in the past few months gotten interesting in shooting. I got him a Ruger AR556 for Christmas and the younger one. Anyway, the older one bought himself a Springfield XDs Mod2 I think it is. I was going to buy him a new 1911 for graduation, but I think now I'm going to give him my Auto Ordnance 1911. Ive had it about 30 years. So, Id like to put it in a nice case also. I'm thinking like a Pelican. Suggestions on something else? Or GTG? Just recently bought a SA GI Champion I'm going to back for the younger one. They can fight over the LW Champion Operator when the time comes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You can look at Patriot Cases as another option. They do personalized name tags, etc. Can't really go wrong with a Pelican though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the pelican also get one that is TSA approved so in case he has to travel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Love my Pelican case
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Does he need a case? I go back and forth on pelican type cases all the time; they seem cool but in reality, I never store my guns in a case (particularly an airtight case) and when I go to the range I usually put the pistol in a gun rug an my range bag. Just saying, if it was me, I'd probably get more mileage from either a display case or a holster. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If we're not talking about a presentation/display case, I'd recommend a good range bag first. I've got a nice two gun armored case, has a steel frame inside of it so when it's locked you can't pry it open. But I never use it, as it doesn't hold earmuffs or all the other stuff I haul out to the range. I'd offer the make of my armored case but they're out of business.

If we're talking about a good shipping/transport/'leave it in your leaky basement for five years without worrying about it' case, get a Pelican. Not cheap, not pretty, but they work, and they're 100% weather/waterproof.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Pelican case for sure.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does he need a case? I go back and forth on pelican type cases all the time; they seem cool but in reality, I never store my guns in a case (particularly an airtight case) and when I go to the range I usually put the pistol in a gun rug an my range bag. Just saying, if it was me, I'd probably get more mileage from either a display case or a holster. YMMV.
View Quote

I use my pelican case for traveling / road trips where i carry 2 pistols + mags. Other than that i use a range bag / backpack.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If we're not talking about a presentation/display case, I'd recommend a good range bag first. I've got a nice two gun armored case, has a steel frame inside of it so when it's locked you can't pry it open. But I never use it, as it doesn't hold earmuffs or all the other stuff I haul out to the range. I'd offer the make of my armored case but they're out of business.

If we're talking about a good shipping/transport/'leave it in your leaky basement for five years without worrying about it' case, get a Pelican. Not cheap, not pretty, but they work, and they're 100% weather/waterproof.
View Quote

This is kind of where I am.  I would never use a Pelican or similar case because I don't fly with guns.  If it isn't in the safe, it's in a range bag.   Display box might be better but not too many folks would feel comfortable hanging that on a wall nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Negrini of Italy makes some nice cases for 1911s.  The aren't waterproof but are TSA approved.  Just depends what you are looking for, this one for example is leather covered...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top