Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 8:32:28 PM EDT
Is this pistol as of 2016 still having the barrel/accuracy issues and trigger issues that everyone has talked about over the years?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The ones I've had have outshot me. I think they fixed that issue 5 years ago or so. Basically they were using 40 barrels instead of ones built for 9mm if I remember right, something about them unlocking too soon.

TL:DR
They're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to know I've just seen people post saying that they have to spend $ on a barrel and a trigger to get it to perform.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife's M&P 9 and my 40 with the factory 9mm barrel have absolutely no problems. Think the issue has been solved for some time and was likely over reported to begin with. Make sure you have a newer 1:10 twist barrel and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good to know I've just seen people post saying that they have to spend $ on a barrel and a trigger to get it to perform.
View Quote

Just depends what you want.

Its an honest 3" best case 4" worst case handgun.  Many production guns out there run about this level of accuracy.  Some are better.  Its only relevant if you're doing a direct comparison between it and another gun.  From there it comes down to personal preference and what feels better, as that will impact how you shoot it more than a slightly more accurate barrel.  Its good info to have if you're looking for a potential "tie breaker", and thats about it.

And the trigger costs 80 dollars to make really good, and 150 to make fantastic.  Thats still not half bad considering you can generally get an M&P in the low 4 range.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never heard of a gun being popular like the M&P pistol line but yet u have to buy parts to make it run well????
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Strangely enough my 2008 edition of the M&P 9 has decent accuracy and an acceptable trigger right out of the box.  I haven't changed a thing on it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a big fan of the M&P line.  I've got 3 and they've all been 100%.  Great ergos, excellent holsters and after market support.  More than accurate enough.

People complain about the trigger, but I've just never had an issue.  With the exception of some newer models no striker fired pistol is going to compare to a match 1911 or the SA pull on a tuned Colt Python.  Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, FNS, Ruger (I'll even throw in Taurus), whatever.  To each his own.  Get what makes you happy
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Really no different than tweaking Glocks with any number of aftermarket options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never heard of a gun being popular like the M&P pistol line but yet u have to buy parts to make it run well????

Really no different than tweaking Glocks with any number of aftermarket options.

Other than it costs 5-6x more to do to a S&W
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never buy a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote
The guns run great stock. I had thousands of rounds through my M&P9 while it was stock. The barrel was far more accurate than I could be and I shot the stock hinge trigger very well. Only after shooting all those rounds I decided to try an Apex trigger to see what it could do. The trigger obviously felt much nicer and my hits improved. I have 2 M&Ps and they both have Apex triggers but I'd hardly say they are necessary to make the guns shootable.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The guns run great stock. I had thousands of rounds through my M&P9 while it was stock. The barrel was far more accurate than I could be and I shot the stock hinge trigger very well. Only after shooting all those rounds I decided to try an Apex trigger to see what it could do. The trigger obviously felt much nicer and my hits improved. I have 2 M&Ps and they both have Apex triggers but I'd hardly say they are necessary to make the guns shootable.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, I've got a MP45 and MP9, both fullsize, both with Apex polymer triggers and DAEK / sear kits.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, you have to buy parts to give it one of the best combat triggers in any available firearm.

You do NOT have to buy parts.  However, if you're bitching about 80 dollars in parts after buying a 400 dollar firearm and a few cases of ammo to learn the platform....you're probably in the wrong hobby.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Got mine in 2012, no issues. Reliable, shoots where I point it and the trigger isn't bad. A 1911 it's not but quite useable as is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#15]
1. Spend $0.00
2. Burwell DIY trigger job.
3. Profit
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
1. Spend $0.00
2. Burwell DIY trigger job.
3. Profit
View Quote

And it really helps once it is cleaned/polished up, also similar polishing and buffing helps most the other striker autos as well without shelling out cash.

I have an Apex set up as well in one of mine, but it came with that particular pistol when I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#17]
My 4 year oldish M&P9C's (now my wife's) trigger and accuracy was quite acceptable out of the box. It's not a target pistol but that's not what it is designed for. It's the best thing I've seen her shoot, including a Glock 19 and my tweeked 1911, now she is a casual shooter at best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Haven't the newer M&Ps built for the past 3 or so years been given a trigger more like that found on the Shield? I've always been a Glock guy and found the trigger on the Shield to be very acceptable.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My 2011-2012 M&P9 is pretty accurate with a terrible trigger with no reset, but my 2013 M&P9 VTAC is laser beam accurate with a nice trigger and nice reset. Both guns are stock and will probably stay stock.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#20]
My 2013 M&P9 has a nice trigger and amazingly short and positive reset. Out of the box, the trigger did feel...not "gritty", but whatever the polymer mold flashing equivalent of "gritty" is. I just sat down one night started working the trigger over and over again while watching TV. After that it's probably as smooth as a polymer trigger can be.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The Full size M&P that I purchased back around 2012-ish, has accuracy issues.  The Pro that I purchased much more recnetly does not.  

Both have the same apex upgrades in them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is the most accurate pistol I have owned, and that includes a P229, P239, Glock 23, and an FNX Tactical with RMR. I've got a Salient Arms flat faced trigger (which I LOVE) and frame work, along with 10-8 sights (red fiber front, black U-notch rear), but the barrel, mainspring, and slide are all stock and I have supreme confidence in it. Even more so than with my Salient Tier 2 M&P9c with a match fit barrel. Just make sure you get one with a 3rd revision barrel. It will have 2 dimples in the underside.

FWIW, I hate the plastic hinged 2-piece stock trigger on all of the M&Ps. Not just because they are gritty and heavy, but I feel like the 2 piece design just lends itself to a rather vague feel that keeps these pistols from being as shooter friendly as they could be. I like a clean, crisp wall with a predictable break and a short reset.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone have a 2015 model?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I want to say the striker block is now radiused (rounded edge on the striker block) which in my experiences makes a world of difference.  I want to say the new M&Ps are raidused now.  Who here has bought a new production M&P and can confirm?  Either way OP if you are buying one in person ask to remove the slide and you can see the striker block in the slide.

This is what you are looking for:

Here is a thread where its stated that they started rounding them out from the factory as early as 2011:

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-talk/28135-when-did-s-w-switch-rounded-striker-block.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top