Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2016 1:26:21 AM EDT
Palmetto has these at a pretty good price right now, tell me why I should buy one. The good, bad and ugly. Full disclosure, I love glocks, but also have a 1911 that I enjoy shooting. My EDC is a glock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
So as not to be a TL;DR..........

Was at the LGS looking to get a Canik TP9. Next to it was the VP9.

Bought it. Shot it. Love it.

Was my EDC until those bastards @ HK introduced the P30SK. In a Stealth Gear Onyx IWB, this is now my daily carry for a 9mm pistol. ( Rotation with my 1911 CCO )

Son liked the VP9 so much, HK brought out the VP40 Just for him.

Depends on what you want, but can't go wrong if you decide to purchase one.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a thick pistol and rather large. That said it's one of the easiest guns to shoot fast that I've ever come across. The grip angle is correct if you own anything but Glocks, and unlike most any other striker fired gun I've come across, the trigger break has a predictable single action feel after a smooth, light takeup. I found that in slow fire my trigger finger scrapes along the trigger channel in the bottom of the trigger guard rather annoyingly. Other than that the gun is incredibly complex for a striker fired gun, but it works and works well.

The PPQ is often cited as competition, and deservedly so. The PPQ has a lighter trigger by a pound or so and has similar ergonomics. I prefer the feel, trigger, and grip of the VP9 by a large margin.

Most Glock guys have a hard time straying from Precious, but shooting one may change your mind. To me it's a gun that comes out of the box with good sights, a good trigger, an accurate barrel, a proper grip angle, and a very adjustable grip.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've owned 2 VP9s.  They're good guns and I have no complaints.  However, I'm also a Glock guy.  The VP9 is just another plastic striker.  To me a Glock 19 is equal or superior in every category.  I sold my VPs and am sticking with Glocks.  The VP9 just doesn't do anything better or different than my Glocks...so I don't need or even really want it.

I see an aweful lot of them on the EE.  I suspect many others share this view.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The good, bad and ugly. Full disclosure
View Quote

good: it's an HK
bad: huge gun to only hold 15rds (c'mon HK, really?), mags are stupid expensive, it has failed some "torture tests" on video, kind of big for anything other than range or home defensive use
ugly: built in finger humps, no need for em. racking "wings"
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Vp9 should be a good gun as long as you don't get any silty water in it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In that case, only a spear gun will do.

Am I right.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Am I right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I right.

Lol, I sold mine about 9 months before that video came out.  My complaints at the time, mags were not available, and the mag levers would hurt your finger after an extended shooting session,  Yea I know you can take a dremel to them, but...  I had 3 mags at the time I bought the gun and in 6 months of owning it, I could not find anymore.  It is the same size as a Glock 17 but has the mag capacity of a Glock 19.  

It just wasn't enough of a good thing for me to keep it.  Like my Glocks and CZ's a lot more.  

Edit, also it was extremely intricate in the trigger works.  Made me worry if I had a problem with it, I would not be able to fix it.  I can fix anything with all my other handguns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#8]
You have to get one and try it.  I've said everything posted in this thread to myself.  I shot a coworkers VP9 after they first came and had to have one.  After getting one and putting a few hundred rounds through it I decided the HK didn't offer anything over what I already owned.   After mulling it over for about a year I just got another one.  It is the only pistol I've shot that I can hit a 12 inch plate at 50 yards  every time.  So for me the inherent accuracy push me over all the reasons not to get one.  So you got to shoot one to decide.  David
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Am I right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I right.

The spear gun will for sure go bang!  spear gun > vp9

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
My P2000sk is the most accurate pistol in my hands and the highest quality pistol I own.
I also prefer the paddle mag release.

I need to try the VP9
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Glock is and has been my primary handgun platform of choice besides my TRP.

I'm invested in mags, holsters, etc.... shot them extremely well for years and still do.

That said for the price they are at, I bought one and its already shipped... should be here Wednesday.

I've wanted a 19 slide on a 17 frame for years and this solves the role, plus it feels good in my hands. The one I've shot was a laser.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a P30, which is identical from a grip standpoint. I was never able to find a grip or combination of panels that would get my trigger finger away from the levers and bottom of the trigger guard, so I never shoot it.

I strongly suggest you try before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a VP9, sold it.  They're nice, comfortable guns to hold. But to shoot it's not quite the same.  For a gun of its size, it really ought to hold 17 rounds.  Also, it felt surprisingly snappy for a full size gun.  Could have been the ammo, who knows....but I really didn't think it was that amazing of a gun for me to bring in an entire new set of holsters/gear.  

Try it, you may like it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The trigger is good for a combat pistol, and it points well. Great pistol for getting the first shot on the target, if the overall size and thickness allow you to get it to the fight.

The excessive overhang of the back of the slide digs in if I try to carry it, the amount of muzzle flip is atrocious, and there's just no way to NOT hold down the slide lock. All the grip panels and such are the definition of "overthinking". The afterthought add-on slide lever on the right side is a failure point waiting to happen. The takedown lever on the left side is right in the way of a decent grip for a right hander.

Photos of HK pistols generally do not do them justice. In the case of the VP9, photos lead you to think it's a sleek and compact pistol. It's not. It's actually LARGER than a full size USP.

To me, it's a shining example of the truism that people who design firearms know nothing about the right way to handle and shoot firearms, and when they get something right it's by chance as often as not. Need proof? Look at the side of a VP9... that smooth area going from the top of the tang over to the back of the trigger guard? That's for your shooting hand thumb. The little ledge there at the top of the textured panels is the thumbrest. That's just one obvious example.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The trigger is good for a combat pistol, and it points well. Great pistol for getting the first shot on the target, if the overall size and thickness allow you to get it to the fight.

The excessive overhang of the back of the slide digs in if I try to carry it, the amount of muzzle flip is atrocious, and there's just no way to NOT hold down the slide lock. All the grip panels and such are the definition of "overthinking". The afterthought add-on slide lever on the right side is a failure point waiting to happen. The takedown lever on the left side is right in the way of a decent grip for a right hander.

Photos of HK pistols generally do not do them justice. In the case of the VP9, photos lead you to think it's a sleek and compact pistol. It's not. It's actually LARGER than a full size USP.

To me, it's a shining example of the truism that people who design firearms know nothing about the right way to handle and shoot firearms, and when they get something right it's by chance as often as not. Need proof? Look at the side of a VP9... that smooth area going from the top of the tang over to the back of the trigger guard? That's for your shooting hand thumb. The little ledge there at the top of the textured panels is the thumbrest. That's just one obvious example.
View Quote
have both and not seeing how it's bigger than a USP

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Was excited for the VP9 cuz it felt great in my hand. I was disappointed.

With large panels all around, it's still not big enough for my taste. The trigger has a short take up, but is a touch gritty and the reset is only okay. All the videos seemed to show it was very flat recoil. I have to death grip it to shoot accurately at speed or else it strings high right for me. Slow fire does get me tight groups. Paddle release isn't as hard to reach with my thumb as I'd thought, but the paddle did poke my trigger finger tip when the trigger breaks. Got a replacement from HK which didn't fix it so I filed one down and still have an original. I do like the takedown on it.

Overall I find the PPQ to be a better pistol. It recoils a touch more but more predictable rise and fall. Even after adding NS (easy to do) and an extra mag, it's a bit cheaper than the VP9 LE. Trigger has longer take up, but clean light break and very positive, short reset. Prefer the large mag release on the M2. Only thing the VP9 beats it in is takedown and general finish. The Walther doesn't have any fit/finish issues, just the VP9 frame seems more refined. Looks mean just about nothing to me, so I almost don't mention it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I love everything about mine. It is NOT a big gun. The adjustable side plates and back straps are an awesome feature. Lots of people hate on the "wings" but I love them. They only help. It may be a little snappy but it seems to track real nice and the trigger is great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
They are not bad guns but the extra magazines are expensive. The only thing I didn't like about mine is the groove in the trigger guard that tended to rub raw my trigger finger after 100 rounds. Some other owners I know said the same thing. I forget where I saw them but they were going for $519.00,maybe CDNN.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a P30, which is identical from a grip standpoint. I was never able to find a grip or combination of panels that would get my trigger finger away from the levers and bottom of the trigger guard, so I never shoot it.

View Quote

I have both. The VP9 is absolutely NOT identical. Quit spreading BS.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The grip is as identical as makes no difference, at least as far as the trigger guard problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The VP9 does have a pretty good trigger but the size really is a concern for a lot of people given the capacity and recoil impulse.  I've shot a VP9 side by side with my 19 and the HK did flip just a little more.  And I can hide 15+1 on me a lot easier with my Glock.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Mag price is what has kept me away from HK pistols and FN pistols.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
There are a dozen reasons to step away from the VP9 but there are also a couple good ones to consider.

Quality- HK has never been considered an inferior product when it comes to quality.  This is shown in that they actually put metal sights on their guns

Ergonomics- The rounded grip and the ability to change the panels offer some options for different hands.

Ambidextrous- Mag and slide release are accommodating to both left and right handers, or if you are the tactical type and like to do a lot of work with your non-dominant hand in practice or in classes.

Sight plane- I really like the way HK mills the top of their pistol slides.  It makes it easier for me to acquire the front sight during certain lighting scenarios.  Not a biggie but it is something I personally like.

Everybody is going to compare it to a Glock.  While I own a Glock, I really don't enjoy shooting it that much and there would be four or five things I would change on it if that was all I could get my hands on.  The VP9 was very shootable right out of the box for me, so much more refined than the Glock.  Where the Glock really shines is that they have a good reputation for being reliable, and you can find all kinds of aftermarket support for it.

The cost of mags and their capacity is really kind of a silly point.  You can find the mags for $38 a piece which is higher than your other plastic fantastic prices but I can tell you from personal experience that they are really well made.  I have over 15K rounds through my 3 P30 mags(same as VP9) and they are still working perfectly.  That's over $3,000 worth of ammo so I'm not that worried about a few more dollars spent on magazines when they are uber reliable and did I say well made already?

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
This is a concern of mine as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

if this a big concern you should probably just stick with your glock

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price difference between a Glock mag and an HK mag is a box of 9mm.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compound that..... I can buy 10 Glock mags for $200 or 10 HK mags for $450-530.  I like to have at least 10 mags for a pistol I own.  My Glock 17/19/34 I have around 20, my Sig P226/8 I have 15 so........
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Compound that..... I can buy 10 Glock mags for $200 or 10 HK mags for $450-530.  I like to have at least 10 mags for a pistol I own.  My Glock 17/19/34 I have around 20, my Sig P226/8 I have 15 so........
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found some for $37 dollars.  Granted that this close to double the amount for a Glock mag.  I do not have 10 mags for any of my pistols so It is not a big issue for me.  I suppose the OP just needs to decide if it is worth it to him.  How many mags he wants will play a factor
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have just proven my point.  You have thousands of dollars of gear and $100 increase in magazine costs is going to make a difference?

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to spend your money but your monthly cable bill is probably $100.  It's nothing if you want a the gun that works for you.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#30]
For the price they are going for they are definitely worth it, however I don't think there's a real advantage over glock M&P etc. I shoot my glock better which is disappointing seeing as the vp9 trigger is so nice. It's still in my top recommendations for a striker but like I said after owning one for over a year I give it no advantage over some of the established strikers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:54:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks all, great input. How is aftermarket support for them?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:03:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For the price they are going for they are definitely worth it, however I don't think there's a real advantage over glock M&P etc. I shoot my glock better which is disappointing seeing as the vp9 trigger is so nice. It's still in my top recommendations for a striker but like I said after owning one for over a year I give it no advantage over some of the established strikers.
View Quote

For me it is ergonomically superior. Glocks have the wrong angle and 2x4 like contours, S&W and Canik have a too short trigger reach, XD's are bulky and feel unrefined, and the PPQ, while great, has the backstrap hump in the wrong place as well as a squishy feeling trigger. The mechanical accuracy is a step above the others (though comparable to the PPQ) as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:40:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For me it is ergonomically superior. Glocks have the wrong angle and 2x4 like contours, S&W and Canik have a too short trigger reach, XD's are bulky and feel unrefined, and the PPQ, while great, has the backstrap hump in the wrong place as well as a squishy feeling trigger. The mechanical accuracy is a step above the others (though comparable to the PPQ) as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude - it's the indian not the arrow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks all, great input. How is aftermarket support for them?
View Quote

If you are looking at holsters, they have close enough dimensions that the holsters for a P30 work just fine, and is what I use for mine.

You can buy spare parts for the gun from Brownells and direct from HK, and sights are available from several companies as they are the same as the P30.

Custom trigger groups, etc. have not hit the market to my knowledge but the factory trigger is pretty nice out of the box.  There are a couple companies offering trigger work if you really think you need it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Glocks aren't even close to H&K's. Get it op before they lock the thread.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mud "tests" are as inconsistent as the substrate that makes it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4A_TbpHU1c

Just because one prominent youtuber has an issue does not make the results definitive by any means.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glocks aren't even close to H&K's. Get it op before they lock the thread.
View Quote

Sure they are...after sights, trigger, and a match barrel
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all preference.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#39]
True, it's all personal preference... just read this thread for proof.
Go to an automotive forum or a pet forum and ask about a particular model or breed...same thing.  Haters and lovers.

You can't make up your mind on a car purchase by asking people what they "think".  You have to drive it.  A lot of people have 'driven' a VP9 and immediately bought one.  A lot of people have 'driven' a g17 or FN or M&P and went right out and bought one.

H&K's customer service is top notch.  I haven't needed it yet but that's the overwhelming consensus with HK owners.

Yes, FN and H&K mags are expensive.  P30\VP9's can be had for $39 shipped.  Very expensive.

Yes, the VP9 seems overly complex.  But it works, and works VERY well.  The mag release levers?  Struck me as odd but I quickly adapted.  I run mine in competition so the levers are actually a very GOOD thing because it forces my trigger finger outside the guard while swapping mags or holstering.  And competition is the only reason I bought it.  The FNS-9c is for carry and HD.  The VP's trigger is perfect, the weight is perfect, there's no muzzle flip for me...even with snappy cheap ammo.  The numorous grip panels molded the gun to my hand.  I don't have an issue with the recess in the trigger guard rubbing my finger.

YMMV

I don't have any experience with glocks, just a Kimber CDP, an M&P and XD's.  The Kimber felt like it was made for my hand.  And accurate.  The Shield is a toy... it's just not for me.  It's so thin and light.  Perfect carry for people who can hold it.  The XDs feels good in my hand and I can drive tacks with it...

I shot a buddies VP9 and went right out and bought one.

It's all personal preferences.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You have just proven my point.  You have thousands of dollars of gear and $100 increase in magazine costs is going to make a difference?

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to spend your money but your monthly cable bill is probably $100.  It's nothing if you want a the gun that works for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 5 guns already that work for me G17/19/34 and Sig P226/8.  I just do not feel like dumping a grand+ on a pistol setup (pistol, sights, mags, holster) when I am already setup for what I have.

I am not saying the HK is bad, crap, or whatever just adding another setup is not in my priorities.  Maybe if I sell my M&Ps I might add a PPQ/VP9/FNS but I already have a vastly diverse pistol collection.  I still want to work on my M&P setups (Apex upgrades, holsters, more mags, etc).  The VP9 is cool just wish HK was not so proud of the mags.  Even my P7 mags are ridiculously priced.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the ETS and OEM and Magpul mags available Glock is the obvious choice here now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a fan of the "ergonomics" argument. Sure, it feels better in my hand. But what do the holes in the paper look like? If you can't shoot worth a damn with a comfortable gun, then what is the point? I own HK, Sig, Glock, springfield, and beretta, and sure the glock is the ugliest and the worst "ergonomically," but when I shoot it my groups are the tightest out of all the guns. Thats what I care about. As for  "wrong grip angle," who established there's even a right grip angle? Browning creates the 1911 angle and all of a sudden its as if that is the only grip angle that should be used or accepted. I prefer the glock grip angle. I find I get back faster on target with my glock 19 than my VP9. I don't understand. The grip does not feel uncomfortable to me at all.

I'll reiterate that I believe the VP9 is a great pistol. I think its worth $550. But I don't see one aspect that makes it superior than a glock 19 or an M&P. Shoot it and decide for yourself. If you stack holes in paper with it, buy it and have no regrets.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I switched to the VP9 because I got sick and tired of sprinkler head ejection from my G19s. No more hot brass in my shirt pocket, I have  better trigger and I'm happy. I liked the size of the 19 but I carry the VP9 daily and I pull it off no problem. And it ejects consistently to the right with every type of ammo I've tried.

The only G19 I'd consider would be a Gen 2 with no LCI ejector. They seem to eject like a gun should.

Of course opinions are like...........
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#44]

That's why I sold mine. Replaced it with a Sphinx SDP. Couldn't be happier.

And I did it BEFORE Tim did.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/twpayne75/media/pistol/20140811_181019_zpsh6ehf5sa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/pistol/20140811_181019_zpsh6ehf5sa.jpg</a>

View Quote

That's not an insignificant difference for the same capacity.  That alone would turn me off from the VP9.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's not an insignificant difference for the same capacity.  That alone would turn me off from the VP9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/user/twpayne75/media/pistol/20140811_181019_zpsh6ehf5sa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/pistol/20140811_181019_zpsh6ehf5sa.jpg</a>

Yeah, that's a huge difference when it comes to cc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly why I want one (jumped in the deal). G17 frame with a 19ish length slide.

Also have a 17,19, & 43.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
G17 frame with a 19ish length slide.
View Quote

which is exactly what the FNS-9 is
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Exactly why I want one (jumped in the deal). G17 frame with a 19ish length slide.

Also have a 17,19, & 43.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also have a 17,19, & 43.

I love that look. And if it had G17 capacity I would be all for it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top