Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2016 11:13:55 PM EDT
Seriously, they are in the business to make money, but from what I have seen, there is zero reason to buy them, am I missing something? Did Magpul just have a massive brain fart?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
$12 versus $20 or more. The savings can be used for more Pmags and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are cheaper and they work.  What's not to like?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#4]
They are cheaper and mostly work. I have two and they're fine for range mags, but I'll stick with Glock for carry.

The follower hangs up sometimes in the last few rounds for me.

Very slightly more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are cheaper and they work.  What's not to like?

Right! I don't get the question OP??
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience, prior to Magpul, was that the only magazine that reliably functions in a GLOCK pistol is a GLOCK magazine.  I like Magpul products, and I have a boat load of Pmags, because I think they are superior to USGI mags.  

I spend too much damn $$$ on quality firearms, ammo and accessories, to try and save $8 on a magazine that might not be as reliable as the OEM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My experience, prior to Magpul, was that the only magazine that reliably functions in a GLOCK pistol is a GLOCK magazine.  I like Magpul products, and I have a boat load of Pmags, because I think they are superior to USGI mags.  

I spend too much damn $$$ on quality firearms, ammo and accessories, to try and save $8 on a magazine that might not be as reliable as the OEM.
View Quote

Well the only way you'll know is to buy a couple and test them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't you?

I bought five of them to stack on the shelf.  I might not even use them.
View Quote

This.

Mine work with zero issues. I buy the Glock P-Mags cheap, and will stack them deep......and if Hillary gets elected, I'll sell them for a profit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#10]
From reviews I'm seeing they can't be left loaded for long periods without the feed lips deforming and reliability going to poop. That alone seems like a no-go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Maybe because they are nearly 50% cheaper and they work ..... I have about 15 that I've ran and another 20 sitting in wrappers .... Never had an issue
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From reviews I'm seeing they can't be left loaded for long periods without the feed lips deforming and reliability going to poop. That alone seems like a no-go.
View Quote

Hmm. I haven't seen this before.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First I've read this.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll stick with Glock mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well the only way you'll know is to buy a couple and test them.
View Quote
When there's an overwhelming body of evidence to contradict my past experiences, I will.  Until then, I won't gamble.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I can buy Glock factory mags all day long for $20 each. I have full confidence in them and they will last for thousands of rounds. I am really not interested in exchanging that confidence  to save $5 or $7.

YMMV, I am sure MAGPUL is making a fine product.

Now, start offering good HK-USP45 replacement mags for $15 each and I will make the effort to fully vet them in my gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]
ETS are getting great reviews and are just as reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
First I've read this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

First I've read this.

Anyone have a source for this claim? I have a ton of loaded Magpul Glock mags sitting in the safe right now...

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#21]
business investment. I will be able to sell them for big bucks after the ban in Hillary's first term.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought 2 of them for $12ea shipped (on a sale since normal is $14-$15).  For that price I suppose I could see a reason, however, even then I can get OEM mags for right at $20ea shipped on a whim if I buy 10 so I really don't see me buying anymore Magpul mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:00:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine have been loaded for 5 months or so now.  I should probably check them I guess
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I got one to try, sometimes it won't drop free.
I've had to rip OEM mags from the well before too though.
Probably get a couple more to test when I catch them on sale.
Possibly some ETS, though they're closing in on OEM prices, be more likely to get theirs in a higher capacity model.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

100% correct.  1/3 of the reason Glocks work is the magazines they make.  

(The other two are the deep push surface of the slide as it goes into the magazine between the magazine lips that results in a nearly straight in line feed system stripping rounds from the magazine into the chamber.  Did I mention magazines???)
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Got some coming.  Will have to test them out.

Currently I only carry factory mags, but wouldn't mind the Magpuls for range duty.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#27]
With Magpul's distribution network and brand recognition they will sell a boat load.   I think it's safe to say the average Glock owner isn't a AR15/M4 etc member. And many of the members here rarely leave GD and obsess over mag choice( Pro-Mag and Tapco is my proof) .    At the price point and with elections i'd say there was no brain fart.    It just makes sense for them since they specialize in polymer while most mags are metal.
      I think it would be hard for them to do any other style anyway.  I don't see a 1911 mag working with their tech same goes for the M&P.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

First I've read this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First I've read this.

First I've read this too. I own several of these mags and use them for IDPA and 2 gun. No problems to date. I don't see how the polymer would deform at all. It's incredibly thick. I bought mine for 11 bucks from primary arms. For that price, it's worth it to buy 2 and try them before relying on some shit you read online over firsthand experience.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I posted in the last thread about this. I bought about a half dozen pmags for G19's. I can't complain about the reliability so far, but I'll probably buy OE mags from now on. I'm a pretty big magpul fan, but I'm just not crazy about their glock mags.

Like I said I haven't had a problem with reliability so I guess I'm just whining, but they feel a little....cheap I guess. And the one witness hole is just strange to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

First I've read this too. I own several of these mags and use them for IDPA and 2 gun. No problems to date. I don't see how the polymer would deform at all. It's incredibly thick. I bought mine for 11 bucks from primary arms. For that price, it's worth it to buy 2 and try them before relying on some shit you read online over firsthand experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First I've read this.

And no one has shown evidence of this either. If it existed, I would love to see a link
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Smart business decision.  They will sell many and make lots of money.  Once they get on GSA don't you think the new  DoD units getting the G19 will be ordering spare training mags.  David
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#32]
So, are you saying it's a different question than why would anyone buy Magpul AR mags?????  

I have no dog in the hunt, but seriously, I find it an odd question.  Or are you asking if they work?  

But shooooot, most stores around here like to sell Glock mags for 30 bucks PLUS.  I saw some the other day for 40.   If magpul mags work, even if just for range or SHTF mags, why the heck not?
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#33]
The business model is great. At all my local stores, the glock brand mags are $30. Glock pmags are $16. So that's about half price for something that works just as well. A lot of people will buy locally for the convenience, including me. This will make even more sense when the higher capacity models come out too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine work and are part of the reason I decided to get a few glocks again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I have no shortage of Glock magazines, but I still bought the Magpul ones. For what it is worth, the magazine is way easier to take apart for cleaning than the OEM. You can get the baseplate off with just a 9mm round. The magazine itself is lighter, which may or may not matter to you when carrying. You could typically get them for half the price of OEM.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine came in today. I'm withholding judgment. They do feel cheaper than the OEM, but if they function reliably, I'm game for the price. Still waiting on proof of deformed feed lips from storing them loaded.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mine came in today. I'm withholding judgment. They do feel cheaper than the OEM, but if they function reliably, I'm game for the price. Still waiting on proof of deformed feed lips from storing them loaded.
View Quote

I've had one stored for a few months fully loaded with no hint of any deformation
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The lack of steel liner is a no go and will cause issues.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you show me some of these issues?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#42]
An aluminum USGI AR mag feels cheap to me.  But it's what I use.  Feeling has nothing to do with it.  Heck even a Glock frame feels cheap compared to a steel or Al gun.  Do they work and do they work for lots of rounds.  That seems like the only questions that need to be answered.  Well I guess do they crack or explode if you walk over them or drop them, is a good question too.  The feed lip thing I guess is a viable concern if it really is an issue.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm curious what issues it will cause.

It has never caused an issue in my Glock branded mags.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here not enough of a difference to me.

Glock was a horrible choice as they have the cheapest pistol mags .....should have been HK as they are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I've carried (2) 17rnd Magpul mags daily since last August with no deformation of the feed lips.

They've been fine in Florida heat and being dropped while fully loaded.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I wish MagPul would hurry up and make magazines for .45 cal Glocks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Glock was a horrible choice as they have the cheapest pistol mags .....should have been HK as they are ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making a aftermarket polymer magazine of a polymer magazine is doable.

Making an aftermarket polymer magazine of a metal magazine is unlikely.

Before you point to AR mags and AK mags remember that they both have ribs and pistol magazine do not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I tried various versions of the P-Mag for ARs. I then went back to GI issued/Colt metal mags. I always have preferred the GI 20 rounders anyways. As far as the Magpul Glock mags, I will stick with Glock mags in my Glock for social purposes.

The fact is that a large percentage of the gun buying public has been successfully marketed to, and many think that P-mags are something magical. This especially holds true for the trendy people in the gun culture, with whom the latest gear is much like the latest purse, and they must be seen with whatever is trendy to show they are cutting edge. The "appendix carry" crowd, with their "only those with UBER superior gun handling skills like myself should appendix carry".  attitude, is a perfect example.

If you like Pmags go for it, I won't pass them up if they are free, but I have enough GI mags to last a few lifetimes.

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top