Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2016 8:10:52 PM EDT
EDIT: He went with an M&P after renting one at a range.

My father-in-law is looking to get a 9mm for home defense.  My go-to answer would have been a Glock 17 or 19, but its out of his price range and I doubt I'll be able to convince him to spend the extra money.

He said he's been looking at a Canik.  I dont have any experience with them but it seems like people speak of them favorably enough.  I just thought I would throw this out there and see if maybe there's an even better option for a 9mm in a $400 price range first.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A Sig P250 can be had it that price range. Some people don't care for the long trigger pull, but I love it.

Got my gen2 for 389 from CDNN.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
wait just wait until he can get a glock is my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Police return Glock.  Normally going locally in TN for about $375.  You should be able to find one in your dad's price range for under $400, especially if you're willing to ship it to your local FFL.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig Pro 2022 can be purchased for about $400
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
My answer is always a used or trade in Glock 19 or 17 depending on intended purpose.

But...
I'm seriously considering a TP9 after the AIM email today advertised them for $350 with a holster and 2x 18 round mags.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#6]
EAA Witness Polymer $250 shipped (max FFL fee $25 or look elsewhere)
Cheap tac light for the rail $25-40 shipped
spare mag $20 @ Greg Cote LLC
$75-100 in ammo to practice/keep loaded with
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The real problem is this guy is pretty stubborn.  Anything that involves too much effort (like searching for a deal) probably isnt an option.  Either is waiting until he can afford a Glock, which would have been my first suggestion.  I mean, if you ask me, he had the perfect home defense gun already... a 12 gauge.  But he sold it to me because he insists on having a pistol.  

He isnt a big "gun guy" or anything.  He seems to just want to buy something he can have around for home defense and thats it.  He doesnt care about anything else, but I think hes under the impression that a gun is a gun; so why spend $600+ when you can spend $400?

If I could afford it, I would just give him what he needs to get a Glock and be done with it... but I mean, if Caniks are good to go, Ill just let him go with that.  I just dont know enough about them to leave him to trusting his life to one.  Would he be alright with the Canik for home defense?

Any opinions on a Ruger SR9 or S&W SD9VE?

Because the only real answer is going to have to be something he can just walk into the average gun shop around here and buy, then walk out with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Haven't shot one, but I fiddled with one at a gun shop last week and though the stock trigger and grip angle were much better than a glock.  Ambi mag release if it matters.

Easilly available used for his budget.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
SIG p2022
Ruger SR9

Used Glock
Used m&p

The caniks are honestly good for the price, but I just got a problem with the country of origin politically. That is just a personal thing and not a reflection on the gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The sd9 and sr9 are decent guns.

I would also look for a used glock.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If there is an Academy's nearby, they sell the Stoeger Cougar for $299. I bought 5 extra magazines for mine from CDNN also. It is a reliable, soft shooting, accurate pistol. I have used mine at USPSA matches.

Or get a used Glock. If he is going to practice a decent amount the extra $100 is not that big of a deal in the long run.

I wanted the Beretta Cougar in the 90s but didn't have the extra money at the time, the Italians shipped the machinery to Turkey (Stoeger) a fully owned subsidiary. I am thinking of getting another one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Tell him to buy this Smith and Wesson 910. Delivered for less than $300

Smith and Wesson 910  CDI sales on Gunbroker.

They are extremely reliable and easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a milsurp off of Aim.  Right now they have BHP's and Stars.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:52:09 PM EDT
[#15]
S&W SD9VE is an excellent choice.  Although it's a 40, you can also get a Springfield XD40 from Palmetto State for $399.  Great buy
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#16]
The FN FNS 9 is really good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Sig SP2022,can't beat it really.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The real problem is this guy is pretty stubborn.  Anything that involves too much effort (like searching for a deal) probably isnt an option.  Either is waiting until he can afford a Glock, which would have been my first suggestion.  I mean, if you ask me, he had the perfect home defense gun already... a 12 gauge.  But he sold it to me because he insists on having a pistol.  

He isnt a big "gun guy" or anything.  He seems to just want to buy something he can have around for home defense and thats it.  He doesnt care about anything else, but I think hes under the impression that a gun is a gun; so why spend $600+ when you can spend $400?

If I could afford it, I would just give him what he needs to get a Glock and be done with it... but I mean, if Caniks are good to go, Ill just let him go with that.  I just dont know enough about them to leave him to trusting his life to one.  Would he be alright with the Canik for home defense?

Because the only real answer is going to have to be something he can just walk into the average gun shop around here and buy, then walk out with it.
View Quote

No effort and under budget:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=6042&name=LEO+Trade-In+Glock+17+GEN+2+9mm+Pistol

AIM even has a list of dealers that they already have FFLs on file for.  So, it's really even easier than walking into a store.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Sell him his shotgun back.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:25:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
S&W SD9VE is an excellent choice.  Although it's a 40, you can also get a Springfield XD40 from Palmetto State for $399.  Great buy
View Quote

The SD9VE is a 9mm... the SD40VE is a 40.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the input... Ill point him towards some of the online stuff.  If he doesnt want to go for that... Ill probably try to steer him towards a S&W SD9 or Ruger SR9.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#23]
[deleted]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#24]
The Tristar CZ clones are pretty sweet. Buying one with a 400 dollar budget should leave enough to get a weapon light as well. They can also accept CZ magazines, grips etc etc

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#25]
He should stick to used polymer framed pistols that have been widely proven reliable and long lived.

Ie: Glock , SIG, S&W, Ruger.

ETA: my I Pad erased "Glock" so I just put it back in.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
He should stick to used polymer framed pistols that have been widely proven reliable and long lived.

Ie: , SIG, S&W, Ruger.
View Quote

GLOCK
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Taurus PT-111 G2 $199, spend the rest on extra mag or two, ammo and a good holster.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Be sure to do a little reading about Glock availability before deciding to wait to afford one. There is some kind of scarcity going on right now. It might be a long wait.

If he wants cheap, and reliable, and isn't going to take it out of the house.... How about a Hi-Point?   It's a gun AND a club.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the SD9VE and it's very good IMO. Just as accurate as my Glock 17 and sometimes I actually prefer shooting it. I personally don't believe the trigger automatically requires an APEX kit. They can be picked up new for about $325 and sometimes on sale for less.

If you don't like the stock sights, it takes anything that fits the M&P line.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

GLOCK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ie: , SIG, S&W, Ruger.

GLOCK

Year my I pad dumped the word Glock when I pushed submit.

I corrected that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Used police trade smith 59 series or beretta 92 should be very good choices too
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Taurus PT-111 G2 $199, spend the rest on extra mag or two, ammo and a good holster.
View Quote

I wouldn't piss on a taurus if I saw one on fire.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Walther PPX is $279 at CDNN.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My father-in-law is looking to get a 9mm for home defense.  I bought a shotgun from him for $300 to help him fund it.  His budget seems to be pretty firm at about $400.  My go-to answer would have been a Glock 17 or 19, but its out of his price range and I doubt I'll be able to convince him to spend the extra money.

He said he's been looking at a Canik.  I dont have any experience with them but it seems like people speak of them favorably enough.  I just thought I would throw this out there and see if maybe theres an even better option for a 9mm in a $400 price range first.

Thanks!
View Quote

Give him $100 so he can buy a Glock
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:58:41 AM EDT
[#37]
If you could locate a Ruger P89, they are solid and well within the price range.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know people bad mouth Taurus all over the place.  I have first hand experience with 5 of the new PT-111 G2's and all have been 100%.  Very good value.

Still, for straight up HD I'd probably go with something a little bit larger, such as the SD9VE.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll second the used M&P LEO trade in.  Went through the same thing with my dad.  He didn't want to be much over $300.  Found a trade in M&P 40 with 3 mags at Bud's for $300 plus $25 for the transfer fee.  I took it out and shot it before giving it to him. Shot great, trigger actually much better than on any of the new M&P's I've bought.  Minimal holster wear.  He's good to go.

For his $400 budget he could get the gun, a nice case, simple nylon holster and a couple hundred rounds for training.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Just saw a guy buy a used glock compact 45 out the door for 390.00,  Depending on his age and physical condition he might be better off with a 9mm,  There is a ton of used Glock 9mm out there they say a 17 or 19 is good, I don't own a 9mm so I wouldn't know for sure.  They are easier to shoot and better than a 380 I guess
In my opinion if you have to shoot +P+ or what ever you might as well shoot a 40 or 45
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#41]
As others have said, police trade in / used Glock.  Easy and done.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#42]
AIM has Canik TP-9's in his price range. Mags are cheap too and made by Mecgar so they're not junk. Might be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#43]
SAR B6P. CZ clone, under $300.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#44]
http://summitgunbroker.com/glock-22-gen-2.html

$275 you can't beat it.  I have one and I love it.  Only drawback on the .40 is costs more to shoot but if he isn't going to be doing much range time who cares.  .40 defensive ammo is the same or less than 9mm.  Just buy a new recoil spring to make sure it's GTG.  The cops never seem to understand that springs need to be replaced after so many rounds.  

He needs something basically maintenance free that can be put in a drawer and forgot about.   This is it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
http://summitgunbroker.com/glock-22-gen-2.html

$275 you can't beat it.
View Quote

$295
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#46]
He said hes going to go to a range and try out a bunch of different ones.  He started sounding more open to possibly spending a bit more if he had to.
He didnt sound too interested in Glocks though.  I dont know why.  He was talking a lot about M&Ps and XDs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you could locate a Ruger P89, they are solid and well within the price range.
View Quote

I agree, P89 or P85. Reasonably accurate for home defense, easy to find "hi-cap"'magazines. Commonly found in very good to excellent condition for $300+/-.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#48]
used G17 or used SW MP
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both are very reliable pistols.  The SR9 has a better trigger of the two.  SD9VE's trigger is not so great, but they're extremely reliable pistols.  Either would be a very solid choice.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Gen 1 & 2 Glocks suck...Gen 3 & 4 are as good as they get.  Don't settle for second best.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top