Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 2:45:05 PM EDT
I have narrowed it down to the Glock 23 as my choice in a .40.

The 19/23 fit my hands better than any other Glock and the Glock is my go to striker pistol.

I own 19's but like to keep a .40 around for several  reasons.

I have been impressed with my early gen 4 22 after it went through the recoil spring assy. recall and received the current ejector. No BTF and the dual recoil spring really seems to prevent wear on the gun.
After 1000 rounds there is no visual wear at all on the slide or barrel.

I want to replace my gen 4 22 with a 23 as I shoot the 19/23 much better.

Should I buy a recently made gen 4 23 as the gen 4 pistol will handle the .40 better or should I buy an early to mid gen 3 version (pre MIM parts,pre gen 3 problems?)  Do the recently made gen 4 23's suffer from the same problems as the gen 4 19's?

If I did get a gen 3 is there a reliable extra power recoil spring and aftermarket guide rod I could use to tune the gun properly for the .40 cartridge?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely get the Gen4.  Generation 4 models are a clear improvement for the .40 models and, in fact, I'm told the whole reason we have the dual recoil spring is for better function with the .40s.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a big fan of the Gen4.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Gen 4.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely get the Gen4.  Generation 4 models are a clear improvement for the .40 models and, in fact, I'm told the whole reason we have the dual recoil spring is for better function with the .40s.
View Quote

+100. This. The Gen 4 is the best version of the Glock so far. IMHO
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Gen4.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
As others have already stated, Gen 4.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
You're really going to want the dual recoil spring for the .40. Gen4
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a Glock guy, but if I had to carry a .40, it'd be a Sig P226 or P229.  

Glock 40s are suck with full power ammo.   They make good gamer guns with powder-puff reloads though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice.

Reason I asked about the gen 4 is just as large of a group of users say to avoid the gen 4 clocks like the plague and buy early to mid gen 3 models.

Was considering a German 229 in .40 as well as a VP40 and or USP .40.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.

Reason I asked about the gen 4 is just as large of a group of users say to avoid the gen 4 clocks like the plague and buy early to mid gen 3 models.

Was considering a German 229 in .40 as well as a VP40 and or USP .40.
View Quote

Gen4 exists to try to solve the problems of Glocks in .40.  If you put a light on a Gen3, there's a good chance it won't function 100%.  They've changed the mags/springs to try to fix the issue, didn't really help. Went to Gen4 and it seems to be a lot better, but they're still not up the same performance as the 9mms.

I would also carry an H&K in 40.  Any of 'em.  They're that good.   The P2000 is a proven gun in .40 and it's neck and neck with the 23 as far a size and concealment.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Gen4 exists to try to solve the problems of Glocks in .40.  If you put a light on a Gen3, there's a good chance it won't function 100%.  They've changed the mags/springs to try to fix the issue, didn't really help. Went to Gen4 and it seems to be a lot better, but they're still not up the same performance as the 9mms.
View Quote

Anytime I see someone post stuff like this, it makes me wonder about them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Anytime I see someone post stuff like this, it makes me wounder about them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Because it sounds like something someone pulled out of their $$$. Have you ever heard of a Glock Gen3 not running 100% with a light attached????
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because it sounds like something someone pulled out of their $$$. Have you ever heard of a Glock Gen3 not running 100% with a light attached????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Yes, we had two department issued G22 pistols that would not function consistently with TLR-1 lights attached. No problems without lights, though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#15]
My preference in Glocks goes something like this

RTF2 > Gen4 > 'regular' Gen3
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
My questions were about the 23 models only. I am well aware of the problems reported with the gen 3 22's.

I have never heard of a gen 3 23 having a problem when running a weapon light mounted.

I am heavily considering a gen 3 RTF 23  and running a wolf extra power recoil spring and aftermarket guide rod to reduce wear on the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My questions were about the 23 models only. I am well aware of the problems reported with the gen 3 22's.

I have never heard of a gen 3 23 having a problem when running a weapon light mounted.

I am heavily considering a gen 3 RTF 23  and running a wolf extra power recoil spring and aftermarket guide rod to reduce wear on the pistol.
View Quote

Sorry, my Gen 4 G23 has zero issues running with a TLR-1.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#18]
gen-2 with a strorm lake barrel

i hate finger grooves

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Yes, I have. There's quite a bit of info if you look around. I just bought a used G22 Gen 3 a couple of weeks ago, but I have only put 100 rounds through it. Fifty of those were with a TLR-1 attached and it functioned 100%.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I see no advantage in Gen 3's other than cheaper - Gen 4's for me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder about people who can't spell and have obviously never done much low-light work with Glock 40s.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wonder about people who can't spell and have obviously never done much low-light work with Glock 40s.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There fixed for you. One less thing for you to wonder about.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This and more reliable with a WML.

I run my 23 with out one because of it.

Next one will be a Gen 4
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
If I buy another, it will be a Gen 4.

Dave N
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I own both, get the 4
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:51:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Bought the gen 4 23 (battlefield green). Great finish and nice trigger, it is nice and crisp with a great positive reset. No trigger mods needed (I prefer the stock Glock trigger on a carry gun).

Going to swap the trigger out for a smooth one and install some Wilson Combat or Warren tactical night sights. Installed medium back strap (speaking of which I tried and don't understand the advantage or need for the beavertail back straps?)

All ready  seeing a small issue with the magazines that came with the gun. When loaded with 11 or more rounds they are swelling and sticking in the gun when inserting or  dropping them out. My recent made Glock 19 15 rounds mags don't do this?

Going to put some rounds through it ASAP.

Thanks for all the comments.

As a side note I checked out a couple HK VP's today and was not impressed with the triggers. Too light of pull weight and  a terrible reset compared to the 23 I just bought and the Vickers gen 3 19 I bought last year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I only buy gen 3...I hate the oversized mag release on the gen 4 models

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top