Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2015 11:54:28 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone has ever run 9mm subsonic ammo in a 9mm revolver?
Was wondering about recoil and pressure issues?
Anyone ever done this?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Why would you do that? Are you planning on putting
A suppressor on it.?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:34:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would it be a problem?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't understand the question. A lot of heavy 9mm loads are subsonic. In a revolver you can obviously download cases with the right powders with lighter bullets. Only issue I can think of is a getting cases dirty from poor seal
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Most all non magnum revolver rounds are subsonic any way ( 38 special as the classic example) there are some 38 special 147 loads out there ( just to have a similar bullet weight comparison) and they tend to run slower than 147 9mm.
In a revolver where velocity and bullet weight have no impact on function, a load so light it barely clears the barrel can be developed as can a load near max for a given caliber with no change in reliability - this is one of the great things about them.
At a match last weekend and one guy was using 38 short colt ( lighter load than a 380 auto, about like the old 38 S&W load - a 150 grain bullet at 700 fps and he did just fine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#5]
was trying to find a light recoil load for my sister in a 9mm Revolver.  Looks like even though the subsonics are lower velocity they are still putting out some good fps so the recoil will still be stronger. more like a 38 +p.
I hate to reload some softies for her.  I bought some 9mm Critical Defense Lite and they are lighter, but I'm not sure how she will handle them.
I threw the question out there before I checked the fps of subsonic rounds. I then notice most are 147gr.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#6]
If you can reload to a power level
She finds tolerable I see no good reason not to. Anything that keeps a shooter involved and shooting is good. Most 9mm loads are very similar in performance, so I doubt any standard pressure 147 load is any more than +\- 50 fps from any other. This is the type scenario hand loading is the best answer for
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Yea I see this happening. I've been avoiding reloading pistol rounds because they go so fast compared to rifle rounds. 100rds of pistol 30 minutes done. 100rds of 308 hours
I guess if it's 223 it would be about the same.
I figure I can load some lighter loads to break her in on the gun they have her run Critical Defense lite, which are a little less on felt recoil.  After talking to her today I think the recoil for the 9mm isn't that much a problem as was the loading unloading and clearing of a pistol vs revolver.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can reload to a power level
She finds tolerable I see no good reason not to. Anything that keeps a shooter involved and shooting is good. Most 9mm loads are very similar in performance, so I doubt any standard pressure 147 load is any more than +\- 50 fps from any other. This is the type scenario hand loading is the best answer for
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Hornady makes their Critical Defense Lite in .38" Special as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top