Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 11:31:02 PM EDT
My wife has been shooting a S&W Shield 9MM since she got her CCW lic.

She shoots it decent.  BUT! With her RA, she has trouble pulling the slide back, and she cannot  engage the slide lock.  

She is left handed and of course the Shield has the safety on the left for a right handed shooter, but she works around that pretty well.

I thought from the beginning that she would eventually be able to operate the gun fully, but it's not going to happen.

SO, back to a revolver that she shoots well.  It's a S&W model 36 with a very short barrel, what, 2" or a bit less.

She has no trouble operating it at all.

My question is;  Is there any revolvers that you guys know of that are  not much bigger but with a 3" barrel?

Ruger makes the SP101 in 3", but I've never seen one.

Any comments welcome.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Smith currently makes a 60 with a 3"  barrel.  I think it's a custom shop or Pro series or something like that.  Plus there were some made back in the day, but they are very rare.  But there was a member on here who I think him and his wife settled on that newer 60 with the 3" barrel.  It's got the slab side barrel and some nice,  hand filling wood grips.  although I'm sure you could put some rubber ones on it too.  

At least I hope they still make it.  It was pretty recently that they did.  I think it would be a good choice, especially if she already has a 60 that works.  But really, I don't think she'd need a longer barrel for most self defense scenarios.  I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I think, the 3 inch Ruger and S&W revolvers are distributor specials.  A quick look on their websites say look at TALO
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 3" Model 60 (.38 Special) that has adjustable sights.It's really a nice gun and shoots very well.I like it better than the various other 60's/36's that I've had.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Do all the current S&W revolvers have the keylock?

Does Ruger have any sort of keylock on their revolvers?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do all the current S&W revolvers have the keylock?

Does Ruger have any sort of keylock on their revolvers?
View Quote

I guess this has been beat to death.  Sorry.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Have her try an LC9S Pro. The slide is easier to work than the Shield. The mags are easier to load. And it has no manual safety to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a J-frame fan and would recommend trying a 649 Bodyguard to allow for a hammer thats snag free.

IMHO the 2" is the ticket in this gun since at fighting distance it gives less for the bad guy to grab or leverage with.

Another option might be the Glock 43 since it is about the same size and pretty ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#8]
They make a version of the shield without a safety.

There are also techniques that allow for easier manipulation of a slide if you show her.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are also techniques that allow for easier manipulation of a slide if you show her.
View Quote

Tall rear sight + leather belt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry but I fail to see what a "tall rear sight + leather belt" would have to do with my wife's inability to operate a slide.

And what "techniques" would allow "easier manipulation of the slide"?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife had the same difficulty. She could operate a semi but was not comfortable with it so the search for a wheel gun started.

I ended up getting her a  ruger SP101 in 357 mag with the 2.25inch barrel. Kinda heavy compared to the light weight carry guns but that helps with recoil tremendously. She shoots 38 special at the range and carries a reduced 357mag load. Buffalo Bore makes a short barrel 357 load that yields a little over 400 ft lbs of energy so much better than most 38 special loads to ensure proper penetration but not have the excessive recoil/blast of a full blown 357 load.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm sorry but I fail to see what a "tall rear sight + leather belt" would have to do with my wife's inability to operate a slide.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

using the taller rear sight to hook on the belt (or another hard surface like edge of table, etc) you can rack the slide one handed....its uses arm strength and/or body weight while mitigating hand strength

its a technique often taught for when you only have one hand available for whatever reason (injury, occupied, disabled, etc)
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife also does not have the strength to rack the slide on the semi autos I have.
She chose a S&W  386 I picked up used from a LGS a few years ago. It has a 2.5" barrel, scandium frame and a great trigger pull. It is "hers".
I think the key element of the above statement is "she chose". Her choice came after range sessions which included both S&W and Ruger revolvers.
Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
What about a larger 380? A G42, LC380, etc may be easy to rack due to lighter recoil spring
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the idea is instead of pulling back with the hand on the slide,
You hold the slide still and push forward with your hand on the pistol grip.
Basically splitting the effort more evenly between both hands.

You practice this, then once you have it figured out, teach it to her.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Dude, I can do that all day long.  But my wife can't.  

I'm just curious do any of  you guys that have a hard time believing that certain women have a real difficult time racking a slide, do you actually hang around women?   I'm not sure why this concept is so difficult, but I've shown my wife just about every way known to man with several different pistols and she struggles a LOT to do it.  Oh she can get it, at least most of the way,  but it's just very difficult for her, enough that it doesn't make sense to even push the issue.   She may be on the weaker side of things, as she was not athletic growing up.  Had asthma and all that.  But she's not a total wuss either.  She can do yard work and such.  So I don't know what to tell you other than those muscles just aren't  strong enough on her.  And she's not aggressive enough about it.  It's just that simple.  

Furthermore revolvers are just much more intuitive for her.  She has no problems understanding them.  I know it's not rocket science but I've been around people that get the buttons mixed up on an auto.  "What's this one for?"   Guys too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife is 5'3" and has hands the size of a doll. She can rack the slides on my 1911s like a boss, but has trouble with the heavy trigger pull on DAO revolvers.

She prefers the simplicity of revolvers. It is a conundrum. I think she needs something like a Shield or G43, but what she really wants is a DAO J-frame with a 5lb trigger pull.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Same here, I have showed my wife many different ways to rack the slide on her S&W Shield.  She just does not have the strength in her hands, plus the fact that she has Rheumatoid Arthritis doesn't help.

We went to shields and handled a few guns, looked at the LCRs, didn't like the short grip.  She really liked the SP-101 with the bobbed hammer.  She could pull the trigger just fine.  I asked about the weight, and she said it was heavier but she said she thought it was ok.

So, I think we will get a SP-101 and give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Same here, I have showed my wife many different ways to rack the slide on her S&W Shield.  She just does not have the strength in her hands, plus the fact that she has Rheumatoid Arthritis doesn't help.

We went to shields and handled a few guns, looked at the LCRs, didn't like the short grip.  She really liked the SP-101 with the bobbed hammer.  She could pull the trigger just fine.  I asked about the weight, and she said it was heavier but she said she thought it was ok.

So, I think we will get a SP-101 and give it a try.
View Quote

I believe that was a wise decision, good luck to her.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My wife is 5'3" and has hands the size of a doll. She can rack the slides on my 1911s like a boss, but has trouble with the heavy trigger pull on DAO revolvers.

She prefers the simplicity of revolvers. It is a conundrum. I think she needs something like a Shield or G43, but what she really wants is a DAO J-frame with a 5lb trigger pull.
View Quote

I know it's a dying bread, but maybe you could get her a DAO auto.  Sig has the P224.  They also have other guns in the DAK, which is basically DAO but a lighter DAO than a lot of traditional DAO.   Which might be exactly what she needs.  And I think HK has a similar option for some of their guns. I thin the P2000 is always DAO.  Kahr's kind of work LIKE DAO, but it's basically striker fired.  It's just more like a DAO than any other striker fired because they reset is basically after you let the trigger all the way out.  

Or you get a revolver that has had some work done on it.  Actually, the trigger pull on my Colt DS is only a bit over 8 #'s..  While my 442 is more like 13#.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#21]
If she shoots the S&W Model 36 well, that's what she should carry. If you want to get her a new one, consider a 3 inch Model 60 Pro with adjustable sights. Another option might be a 3 inch Ruger LCRx in .38 Special +P wit adjustable sights. The best advice is to take her to a range where they rent guns and to let her pick her own gun! My wife picked my 4 inch S&W Model 681 after I put Crimson Trace grips on it. She tried it out and said, "Thank you!" I haven't shot it since.

The Apex Duty Spring Kit for J frames brings the trigger pull right down, and I haven't had any reliability problems with my guns. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Walther CCP maybe. MAC has a review on it on Full30.com

Edit to add: The J frame is not a bad choice, but the recoil on an airweight is worse than an auto. With the RA that could be a problem. The ccp is supposed to be very sold recoiling for its size.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#23]
There are tons of older three inch j frames kicking around. If the revolver works for her don't fight it. No need to force someone into a semi. There were even air weight j's with three inch barrels. Also they made some j's in 32 H&R mag which gives you six shots instead of five.
I understand some women simply can't rack slides very effectively despite there being some techniques that may help.
The revolver was considered state of the art for a long time, and can still get the job done
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:12:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Nothing wrong with the jframes. She can run it, and it is effective. If she will carry it, then you're done. The 60 Pro is really nice looking, though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#25]
All good suggestions and thoughts on this subject, and I thank you guys for all your thoughts and ideas.

She started out with a model 36 and the S&W shield was my idea as she had expressed interest in the semi-autos.  We have tried several brands of Semi-auto with the same results.  She just can't manipulate the slide in a safe purposeful manner.  Processes like clearing a jam would be cumbersome if possible at all.  And in a high stress situation the inability to operate your weapon from muscle memory could be deadly.

So, we have talked and decided to go back to what works for her.  A revolver.  And she is quite OK with that as some of the women friends use revolvers.

She handled a few at Sheels a week or so ago and she has decided the SP101 is what she would like to try.  

I reload both 38Spec and 357Mag so I can load some midrange rounds for her to get up to speed with it.  Anyway that's the plan, just have to get one bought now.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Solid, I almost bought the DAO 2.25" SP101 a while back but I held off and ended up with my Step Dad's 442 after he passed away.  But I think I would've liked the Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Solid, I almost bought the DAO 2.25" SP101 a while back but I held off and ended up with my Step Dad's 442 after he passed away.  But I think I would've liked the Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the first things I do when I hand a lady a handgun is ask her to rack the slide.  The longer the bbl, the easier it is to rack, the Walther CCP being the notable & easy exception due to its gas-delayed blowback.

The larger the gun, the heavier - thus the less free recoil, and I've noticed a lot of women carry purses they could pack an Uzi in.  Then their husband wants to buy them a tiny .380" or an Airweight S&W.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top