Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2015 4:18:14 PM EDT
I am looking at the Glock 43 and M&P Shield for my next purchase to use for concealed carry. I have read and watched reviews and comparisons on these two guns, but one has not really seem to reign superior over the other. I do love a Glock. I bought my first handgun, G19 Gen4, a few months ago (I'm only 20) and absolutely fell in love with the Glock platform and function. With that being said, I am open to try another brand of pistol, but I want the most bang for my buck between the two. Yes, Glock has a excellent track record, so if I cannot find any real reasons to go with the M&P Shield, then I will automatically go with the G43. I can get the G43 for $430 out the door.

I will be getting one of these in January when I turn 21, so I have time to decide and try them both out, but I figured I would go ahead and start getting opinions and feedback on these two.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my 43.
I hated the feel of the Shield.

You already like the simplicity of the Glock, that would be my recommendation.
Dave N
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In a pocket or on a belt?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am looking at the Glock 43 and M&P Shield for my next purchase to use for concealed carry...

Belt with an Alien Gear 3.0 Cloak Tuck holster
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love my 43.

Dave N
View Quote

How does the gripping and size feel in your hands compared to other Glocks?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am looking at the Glock 43 and M&P Shield for my next purchase to use for concealed carry...

Shield.

My usual carry guns are a Glock 23 and a Glock 27.

Shield is for when I really don't want to get caught carrying.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my shield. For a carry gun I do like the manual safety aspect of the shield. Also it is very accurate and easy to shoot. I've shot a 43 and would still take my shield anyday. The shield also holds more ammo! Don't buy a shield in 40 cal though. They are WAY too snappy to shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Shield

Less Money
More rounds
A bit more compact
More holsters available

The Glock  is FUGLY
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I rented and shot both last month at a local range.  The trigger on the G43 had a much more obvious reset click, and seemed easier to shoot accurately.  The trigger alone would have me going for the G43.

I'd suggest you go to a range that rents both, and spend an hour putting 100-200 rounds through them.  You should have your mind made up by the time you leave the range.  To each his own - don't let anyone here sway you.  They are both good pistols.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're a Glock guy go with the 43 (I am and it just feels right). The Shield is a good gun it just doesn't feel as "right" to me (like I said, I'm a Glock guy).
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you're a Glock guy go with the 43 (I am and it just feels right). The Shield is a good gun it just doesn't feel as "right" to me (like I said, I'm a Glock guy).
View Quote

My words EXACTLY
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like you already are leaning toward the Glock 43, buy in confidence. The biggest advantage of the 43 in your case is the familiarity of platform since you already have a G19. The G43 is bested by the Shield in capacity but you can always add capacity with mag extensions for the 43 while you cannot shorten the grip on the Shield.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Shield

Less Money
More rounds
A bit more compact
More holsters available

The Glock  is FUGLY
View Quote

I think I'm one of the only people to actually think that Glocks look nice. I like the plain look of them...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:40:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone give any pros and cons on both of these guns?

How much would an M&P run at a PX?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It sounds like you already are leaning toward the Glock 43, buy in confidence. The biggest advantage of the 43 in your case is the familiarity of platform since you already have a G19. The G43 is bested by the Shield in capacity but you can always add capacity with mag extensions for the 43 while you cannot shorten the grip on the Shield.
View Quote

Damn, was it that obvious that I have already fell in love with the whole Glock thing? And yes, I already planned on doing the +2 extension for the 43, IF I ended up getting it. I have shot numerous types of Glocks and only one Sig. When I picked up my grandpa's SIG, I felt lost. Also, should I buy with confidence or perfection?

I'm just trying to see if it is already too late the venture out of the Glock Cult...
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

I have a 9mm Shield because Glock was too late to the market.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

I have a 9mm Shield because Glock was too late to the market.
View Quote

Would it have been a different story if the 43 arrived 2 or so years earlier?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Can't go wrong with either choice. I own several Glocks including the 19 and 26 but the Shield, purchased before the release of the 43, is my EDC. Slimness is the main reason since I'm in shorts and a t-shirt most of time. If I had to make the choice today? 43. Am I getting one to replace the Shield? No.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Shield. Forget that piece of turd G43.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:28:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Ive shot both guns and like them both for different reasons. The shield fits my hand better and has more capacity, but the Glock shoots better for me and I like the trigger better. I shoot from trigger reset during longer strings of fire, and the shield has a different, almost "false reset" feel to it and it throws me off every time I shoot my father-in-laws gun. I compare it almost to the feel of short stroking a pump shotgun if you can understand what im trying to say.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my 43.

Dave N

Obviously the grip is much smaller. I love it. If you have large hands, I'm sure it would be much different for you. I have medium hands.
Mine and from what I have read, nearly all G43 have proven reliable with just about any ammo.
It's accurate, simple design, easy to conceal.
I changed to a Ghost Edge connector for a lighter, smoother pull.
I also added Ameriglo Classic night sights.
I added Taran +1 base plates for an extra round without adding much length.
I use an OWB holster from Daytona Beach Holsters.

Dave N
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Does not matter what we think you should buy.  Both pistols are good to go you need to decide which one fits you best, you shoot the best, and you will carry every chance you get.  I could tell you get neither as I think the Walther PPS is a better single stack 9mm but that statement is completely bias as the PPS is my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I have both and like both. Primary carry is G23 (Sig barrel in ATM), G26 and if I have to wear a slimmer profile pistol then its between G43 & Shield.  Out of the box the shield is about perfect but after installing the +1 TT base plate and trijicon HD's with orange front on the G43 that is my go to in all things small.  Both have good track records.  I did notice some people having issues with the (Recoil spring assembly) RSA on the shield as posted on the S&W forum but mine is doing fine and doesn't show wear.  Appears S&W must be well aware of the issue as they are sending out new RSA without question however turn around has been around 6 to 8 weeks, some cases even longer.  IMO that is kind of long to have a carry gun out of commission.  Glock parts are always abundant.  Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong with either.  Everyone's hands are different, so it is really a personal decision.  I will add that I do like that the G43 barrel is a tad longer and I load that with 147 +P HST's and with the shield I use 124 +P for its 3.1" barrel. Another consideration is if your other carry gun is a glock I think it is away good to stick with familiar guns/platforms if you rotate them as I do.  Trigger familiarity can only be a plus.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ive shot both guns and like them both for different reasons. The shield fits my hand better and has more capacity, but the Glock shoots better for me and I like the trigger better. I shoot from trigger reset during longer strings of fire, and the shield has a different, almost "false reset" feel to it and it throws me off every time I shoot my father-in-laws gun. I compare it almost to the feel of short stroking a pump shotgun if you can understand what im trying to say.
View Quote

That what I heard about the Shield. And yes, I understand your reference to a pump shotgun. Done it plenty of times when I would decide to duck hunt with a pump instead of a semi.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does not matter what we think you should buy.  Both pistols are good to go you need to decide which one fits you best, you shoot the best, and you will carry every chance you get.  I could tell you get neither as I think the Walther PPS is a better single stack 9mm but that statement is completely bias as the PPS is my favorite.
View Quote

What makes you like that gun so much?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Obviously the grip is much smaller. I love it. If you have large hands, I'm sure it would be much different for you. I have medium hands.
Mine and from what I have read, nearly all G43 have proven reliable with just about any ammo.

Dave N
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my 43.

Dave N

Dave N

I like the setup. I have the Ghost Ultimate and Trijicon night sights already on my 19 and I love the whole setup with this. Simple, but great.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find the prices at the PX/MCX/CGX to be not good in general, plenty of mil/first responder programs out there from Glock, S&W, Sig, etc. Check out Quantico Tactical if you go the Shield route.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll give a "Plus 3" for the PPS.
Very similar size to Shield, but no safety so the trigger would probably feel more similar to your Glock.

I LOVE my PPS.  Wonderful gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I find the prices at the PX/MCX/CGX to be not good in general, plenty of mil/first responder programs out there from Glock, S&W, Sig, etc. Check out Quantico Tactical if you go the Shield route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the heads up. The G43 is I think $430, no tax at the PX. Is that a fair price for that gun? And how much does the Shield generally run if you're getting a nice price for it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Very similar size to Shield, but no safety so the trigger would probably feel more similar to your Glock.

View Quote

How much would a PPS run at a reasonable price? Definitely will not be one of those people who purchases blindly at like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. They have like a $125+ higher price than local gun shops. I looked at it on Walther's website and it looks pretty sweet.

I looked at the Springfield XD-S a few months ago, but I just cannot get past the whole fact of it being made in Croatia
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Shield... hands down... I also have the tuck 3.0 and it's a very comfortable rig. good luck!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Shield... hands down... I also have the tuck 3.0 and it's a very comfortable rig. good luck!
View Quote

What clips do you use? the standard clips?

Maybe I should buy both
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Shield hands down. The only Glocks I like/respect are the 19,20SF,& 21SF. The rest of them, Glock can keep... YMMV...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shield hands down. The only Glocks I like/respect are the 19,20SF,& 21SF. The rest of them, Glock can keep... YMMV...
View Quote

What makes you not like any other model than those three? I just like hearing people's reasons.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought the shield this weekend after handling both. Simple reason was ergonomics. The glock didn't fit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Odd.  Ergonomics what why I prefer the G43.  
The SHIELD is a GREAT VALUE, but the grip is too long front to back for my medium hands; I think for larger hands it would be fine.  The G43s grip length front-to-back is much shorter and I shoot it a lot better (even after I dumped a ton of money giving the Shield an apex kit and trigger).  

My biggest complaint with the PPS was also the ergos--it felt more uncomfortably rectangular (and slippery) than Glocks--I thought the Shield felt better.  But there was also the price, the non-standard mag-release "paddles" (though I know I could get used to that), and the fact that it is disabled if a piece of plastic breaks where the various grip panels insert (I know of no cases where that's been a problem, but don't like that design feature).  Everyone I know shoots the PPS well though.

The G43 already has more stuff available for it than the PPS does, and as much or more than the Shield.  
--
For someone who just wants a reliable shooter that's a step up from a SCCY that's a GREAT value, I'd recommend the Shield.
For someone looking for a really nice shooting gun who doesn't care about cost, a little extra size and weight, and likes the grip and mag-release, the PPS would be great.
For everyone else, there's the G43.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I bought the shield this weekend after handling both. Simple reason was ergonomics. The glock didn't fit.
View Quote

Is the ergonomics oriented towards large, medium, or small hands? or all?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The SHIELD is a GREAT VALUE, but the grip is too long front to back for my medium hands; I think for larger hands it would be fine.  The G43s grip length front-to-back is much shorter and I shoot it a lot better (even after I dumped a ton of money giving the Shield an apex kit and trigger).  

My biggest complaint with the PPS was also the ergos--it felt more uncomfortably rectangular (and slippery) than Glocks--I thought the Shield felt better.  But there was also the price, the non-standard mag-release "paddles" (though I know I could get used to that), and the fact that it is disabled if a piece of plastic breaks where the various grip panels insert (I know of no cases where that's been a problem, but don't like that design feature).  Everyone I know shoots the PPS well though.

The G43 already has more stuff available for it than the PPS does, and as much or more than the Shield.  
--
For someone who just wants a reliable shooter that's a step up from a SCCY that's a GREAT value, I'd recommend the Shield.
For someone looking for a really nice shooting gun who doesn't care about cost, a little extra size and weight, and likes the grip and mag-release, the PPS would be great.
View Quote

I just want the BEST functioning gun. The one that will not crap out on me. I know my G19 won't, so I want the same assurance from my CCW. I also want a small gun, because I am a skinny guy, so it need it as low profile as possible. I do not care about how pretty it is.

How much does the PPS normally run? as well as the Shield?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I just want the BEST functioning gun. The one that will not crap out on me. I know my G19 won't, so I want the same assurance from my CCW. I also want a small gun, because I am a skinny guy, so it need it as low profile as possible. I do not care about how pretty it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

--

Do yourself a favor and shoot all three before buying one.  If you like your G19, you might as well get the G43.  They both have almost identical trigger feel which is important for muscle memory and training purposes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How much would a PPS run at a reasonable price? Definitely will not be one of those people who purchases blindly at like Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. They have like a $125+ higher price than local gun shops. I looked at it on Walther's website and it looks pretty sweet.

I looked at the Springfield XD-S a few months ago, but I just cannot get past the whole fact of it being made in Croatia
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Grandparents were made in Croatia

I think PPS is more than shield, but not 100% sure (and I don't think it is by much).  I always go to online places like Bud's gun shop to look at prices.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I got the chance to shoot a "custom" g43 and it was a decent pistol, as is the Shield. I personally ended up with the Shield because I shoot M&P's and because the Shield is cheaper and has a higher capacity. I would have bought a shield years ago if it would have came out without a safety then.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am looking at the Glock 43 and M&P Shield for my next purchase to use for concealed carry. I have read and watched reviews and comparisons on these two guns, but one has not really seem to reign superior over the other. I do love a Glock. I bought my first handgun, G19 Gen4, a few months ago (I'm only 20) and absolutely fell in love with the Glock platform and function. With that being said, I am open to try another brand of pistol, but I want the most bang for my buck between the two. Yes, Glock has a excellent track record, so if I cannot find any real reasons to go with the M&P Shield, then I will automatically go with the G43. I can get the G43 for $430 out the door.

I will be getting one of these in January when I turn 21, so I have time to decide and try them both out, but I figured I would go ahead and start getting opinions and feedback on these two.

Thanks.
View Quote

Here's my take :

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think PPS is more than shield, but not 100% sure (and I don't think it is by much).  I always go to online places like Bud's gun shop to look at prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you sir. And sorry about the Croatia thing
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Here's my take :

http://youtu.be/hLWLtbUMnPo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Here's my take :

http://youtu.be/hLWLtbUMnPo

I assume that the Shield has your vote
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Glock any day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Glock any day.
View Quote

very bold I see
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Certified Glock fanboi. I chose the Shield.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 3:55:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Certified Glock fanboi. I chose the Shield.
View Quote

From a guy who owns mostly glocks, if I had to choose it would be a tough call but I would lean towards shield too. Regardless of physical dimensions or numbers on paper, the 43 just feels too small in my hands to be comfortable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top