Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2015 10:24:40 PM EDT
Has anyone shot one? Might be a bit too competition oriented for this forum but I hear great things. I doubt I'd ever be able to get to handle one before buying so I'm curious.

https://grandpower.eagleimportsinc.com/grandpower/firearms/x-calibur
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Has anyone shot one? Might be a bit too competition oriented for this forum but I hear great things. I doubt I'd ever be able to get to handle one before buying so I'm curious.

View Quote

There is a thread on Brian Enos forum about the Grand Power guns.

People who have them seem to like them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The regular models are good guns. I imagine the comp model is the same plus a trigger job and the slide machining, and maybe a bigger mag telease.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have handled / dry fired one.

I can tell you that I want one badly. That's really all I can say, though.
View Quote

There's been one on gunbroker for a while. Apparently there's gonna be a big shipment soon so all the distributors should be flooded with them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How does this pistol compare to the Sphinx SDP?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Totally different. The Sphinx sdp compact alpha which is what we have in the states right now is a service type gun. Heavy trigger pulls but they shoot great and the build quality is phenomenal. I saw a duotone compact on GB which is all steel and over 40 ounces. Probably shoots amazing. Haven't seen a full size yet. They have a model called the "production" which is a competition gun and that's a better conparo to the x-calibur but no idea when/if those will come out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Totally different. The Sphinx sdp compact alpha which is what we have in the states right now is a service type gun. Heavy trigger pulls but they shoot great and the build quality is phenomenal. I saw a duotone compact on GB which is all steel and over 40 ounces. Probably shoots amazing. Haven't seen a full size yet. They have a model called the "production" which is a competition gun and that's a better conparo to the x-calibur but no idea when/if those will come out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have wanted a fullsize "standard" for awhile but damn you for showing me this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have wanted a fullsize "standard" for awhile but damn you for showing me this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which one, the duotone? I kind of want it too but a compact 40oz gun doesn't make much sense. Too heavy to carry. (The alpha is good for that.) And it's too small for a competition gun. I believe the full size all steel gun is close to 50oz or something. It'll make an awesome range/comp gun.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Standard Alpha line is the one I have been salivating to get my hands on but it is not been release in the US yet.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Grand Power P1 Mk7 which is their compact version. It is a GREAT PISTOL. It rides with me and the P226 and CZ stay in the safe because I just shoot this gun better. The trigger is simply amazing with a light pull and extremely short reset. It has a rotating barrel system which reduces flip. If you can get a hold of one try it, you'll see what I'm talking about. It has been 100% reliable through many hundreds of rounds of all different types of ammo. Never shot the X-Caliber but I have heard it is even better. Downside of course is lack of accessories and the safety shows a red circle when it is in SAFE which is opposite of most pistols.

If you don't want to drop 600+ on the X-Caliber I believe you can still get a P1 for around 350 bucks. If you get one you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Standard Alpha line is the one I have been salivating to get my hands on but it is not been release in the US yet.
http://www.sphinxarms.com/images/product/standard/alpha-line-2/sdp/vsig_images/SDP_Standard_pl_559_429_90.jpg
View Quote

Yea that'll be a sweet gun based on the compact I shot.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shooters World in Phoenix Az and Bear Arms in Scottsdale AZ have the X-Calibur and the standard model and compact model.
The X-Calibur model is priced at $749.00 at Shooters World,the other two models at $499 each.
Fit and finish is pretty nice,trigger on the X-Calibur is Great.From people that own them on a local forum,everyone has nothing but good reviews on them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I own a Grand Power mk7.
Single action trigger is nice. Match level with a reset between 1-2mm.
Here is the cons:
1. Trigger noise before the break. At first I figure I bought a lemon. Google the issue and found out its normal. The noise is very very very annoying to me. It not an issue when you are wearing hearing protection. However you still feel a slight resistant when pulling the trigger before the break. Check the youtube video.
http://www.grandpower.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=134
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6nk6DkqnY
2. Manual Safety color. On Safe is red which is opposite of standard. In other words in the vast majority of single action gun if you see red it means live. In Grand Power red mean safe.
3. It very hard to drop a slide down on an empty magazine.
4. Ambidextrous manual safety. Unless the holster covers the safety I highly recommend not carrying in SA. Ambidextrous manual safety have a bad habit of switching off (goes for all handguns with ambidextrous safety). Carry it in DA if you do not have a good holster that cover the safety.
5. Field stripping was easy but reassemble the gun was a nightmare to me. The last time I had this much trouble was with the CZ52. However when I understood the process it was pretty easy. Took me over 20 minutes to figure it out.

Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I own a Grand Power mk7.

Single action trigger is nice. Match level with a reset between 1-2mm.

Here is the cons:

1. Trigger noise before the break. At first I figure I bought a lemon. Google the issue and found out its normal. The noise is very very very annoying to me. It not an issue when you are wearing hearing protection. However you still feel a slight resistant when pulling the trigger before the break. Check the youtube video.

http://www.grandpower.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=134

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6nk6DkqnY

2. Manual Safety color. On Safe is red which is opposite of standard. In other words in the vast majority of single action gun if you see red it means live. In Grand Power red mean safe.

3. It very hard to drop a slide down on an empty magazine.

4. Ambidextrous manual safety. Unless the holster covers the safety I highly recommend not carrying in SA. Ambidextrous manual safety have a bad habit of switching off (goes for all handguns with ambidextrous safety). Carry it in DA if you do not have a good holster that cover the safety.

5. Field stripping was easy but reassemble the gun was a nightmare to me. The last time I had this much trouble was with the CZ52. However when I understood the process it was pretty easy. Took me over 20 minutes to figure it out.

View Quote

I agree with the gripes about the safety color and the take-down / re-assembly. Despite these issues it is one of my two favorite pistols.

Why is being hard to drop a slide on an empty magazine an issue though?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top