Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 9:07:57 PM EDT
I know what TALO means but don't understand the concept. Anyone? WHat is it that they do that makes their products so special and if anyone wants in I'm going to start an OP group. (Ohio, Penn)
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
TALO comes up with specially configured guns that have a factory warranty and are not just like every other off the shelf gun.

They are not the only one, there is Davidsons and Sports South, etc.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#2]
And most are made as a way for a manufacturer to get rid of end of run or leftover parts to make a "special edition" that some folks really fall for. Having sold guns for a while I caught on pretty quick when Sports South and Lipseys had their "specials" come out. Like the Para LDA Tac S, which was a desert tan cerakoted officers 1911 they couldn't give away when it was that shitty black coating Para normally uses.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]
some of them are simply different colors or coatings on an otherwise stock gun (such as their current production of FDE Ruger LCPs).  Some of their guns are fully customs however, with unique engravings or other non-factory configurations (non-cataloged barrel lengths, etc).

Some can be extremely collective  and sought after, but some seem to miss the mark.

I'm particularly fond of the Wiley Clapp Colt 1911 offerings they've had, as well as the "357" S&W magnum revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Talo actually puts effort to bring things to market that the public wants, that the manufacturers are to stupid to offer as a factory option

Doing this requires a lot of funds up front, something most wholesalers are not willing to do

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The wife saw this SP101 TALO revolver in .357 mag in our LGS and could not pass it up. She has not shot a 38spl round in 20 years :-)

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talo actually puts effort to bring things to market that the public wants, that the manufacturers are to stupid to offer as a factory option

Doing this requires a lot of funds up front, something most wholesalers are not willing to do

View Quote

+1

Some of their Colt models are pretty good (CCG).  Not worth a significant premium, but they can help get more desirable configurations to market.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It's called marketing and its working.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Talo Davidson's Ruger Tactical Target 10/22 rifle a few years ago.  Only difference from a regular model was the wood stock...and the price.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Talo, and the others, make some great designs and some not so great, just pick what you like.  I own several Talo/Lipsey/Williams..guns because they appealed to me.  However, don't trust them when they claim it's a limited edition gun because it may or may not be.  They made a complete mess out of the Wiley Clapp GP100 guns.  Also keep in mind that whatever claims the sellers make about these dealer exclusive guns, if it's not also printed on the dealer website (Talo/Lipsey/Williams/Davidson's) it's not true.  The shops selling the Wiley Clapp GP100's were claiming that only 2000 stainless models would be made and 2500 blued models would be made.  Pretty much every shop I saw selling these guns was making the same claim, however, this was never the case.  Talo only said they were making 2000 stainless models (which they screwed up and made/sold approximately 4800) but they never said anything about selling only 2500 blued models.  The shops selling these guns added that part to charge even higher prices which also carried over to the resale market.  People rushed out to get one of the 2000 stainless models and one of the 2500 blued models, usually paying a significantly higher premium, only to find out later it was all B.S..

So when it comes to dealer exclusives, verify the sellers claims by checking the dealer website or contacting them if their website isn't available to the public (I frickin' hate that crap).  Even if the dealer verifies the claims understand that they can, will and have sold way more of a supposed limited edition than they advertised (Talo I'm looking at you) and they don't care.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The wife saw this SP101 TALO revolver in .357 mag in our LGS and could not pass it up. She has not shot a 38spl round in 20 years :-)
<a href="http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/AVG40/media/076abeb5-56b6-4be5-9671-db4ef102f7d1_zpsedvtlzls.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/AVG40/076abeb5-56b6-4be5-9671-db4ef102f7d1_zpsedvtlzls.jpg</a>
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/AVG40/media/076abeb5-56b6-4be5-9671-db4ef102f7d1_zpsedvtlzls.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/AVG40/076abeb5-56b6-4be5-9671-db4ef102f7d1_zpsedvtlzls.jpg</a>
View Quote

I just ordered my wife one last night

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a Lipsey's "Special buy" P320 with FDE grip for less than I could get them at cost through our regular distributor, so that was nice. I have not jumped on any others since they usually command a little bit of premium.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS, right here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's called marketing and its working.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Had a colt government wiley clapp talo edition. Im guessing colt built it then talo tailored it to wiley clapps specs. The finish sucked though and the brass bead should have been a tritium sight.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Lipseys has a GSR stainless with American Walnut stock that I want badly. I love the wiley clapp colts as well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top