Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/19/2015 2:06:39 PM EDT
Which would you choose?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'd like to invite you into my head and into the conversation.

Assume this would be in the exact same gun and nearly the same weight (.45 Colt tends to weigh a hint less because of larger bore and cylinder holes).

The .45 Colt can be had in loads reaching .44 mag levels, so power is equal. The gun I'm looking at is chambered in .454, but I don't plan on shooting any .454, but I guess you could make the point the .45 would be better resale because of versatility.

The .44 mag is found on any gun store's shelf and also in Walmart. The .45 Colt, not so much. Online order for me only unless I want to drive an hour to a large gun store. Availability to the .44 mag.

The costs for full power .44 mag loads are less expensive than heavy .45 Colt loads and are far easier to obtain. The .44 mag can also shoot .44 special which are about as expensive as standard .45 Colt loads. Slight edge to .44 mag.

The .45 could be smithed to allow for moon clips and .45 ACP use, which would substantially increase the versatility of the gun. The ammo costs for .45 ACP are substantially cheaper than anything else we're discussing. Accuracy may or may not be sufficient after conversion. Cost is around $150-170. Possibly a huge edge to the .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger Vaquero in .45 colt and love it.  I cast and reload my own bullets and ammo, I can shoot full power Ruger only 310 grn loads for about .20 per shot or $10.00 per box of 50.
Love the .45 Colt in my Puma "92" lever gun also, it kicks like a 30/30 with those heavy loads.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Ruger Vaquero in .45 colt and love it.  I cast and reload my own bullets and ammo, I can shoot full power Ruger only 310 grn loads for about .20 per shot or $10.00 per box of 50.Love the .45 Colt in my Puma "92" lever gun also, it kicks like a 30/30 with those heavy loads.
View Quote

Thanks for the input, but for the sake of the conversation assume that the shooter doesn't reload. I haven't reloaded for years and don't have a plan to take it back up. Just too boring and time consuming for me personally. Not my bag.

Focus on: performance, accuracy, recoil impulse, noise, ammo availability in your area, any area you notice a difference and a advantage to one or the other.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately, the 45 colt is better for a reloader...as it is really a more versatile round in the right gun.
Looks like you pretty much know that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What are you going to use the wheelgun for?  Hunting, hiking sidearm, shooting tin cans?
Do you reload?  If you don't, then .44 magnum is the better choice for ammo availability.
Consider resale value.  Do not buy a Taurus .454 because you always wanted one.  Then later you get pissed when nobody will even give you a couple of hundred bucks for it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
.45 LC no question.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
44 mag all day
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a good question.  I am of the generation that grew up with Dirty Harry, and so I like the .44 Mag.

But, as you say, in the right gun, the right .45 Colt loads will do almost everything that the .44 Magnum does.  (I say almost, as the .44 Magnum will still probably have a slightly flatter trajectory, not really significant in the greater scheme of things).

If you don't handload, I say .44 Mag.  If you do, then it is an almost even contest.

I wouldn't sell my M29, even though I rarely shoot it any more, and when I do it is with .44 Spls.

I need a .45 Colt to be a companion to my Rossi carbine.  I have a SAA clone, but would like some thing like the Redhawk, where I wouldn't have to worry about mixing up loads.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are you going to use the wheelgun for?  Hunting, hiking sidearm, shooting tin cans?
Do you reload?  If you don't, then .44 magnum is the better choice for ammo availability.
Consider resale value.  Do not buy a Taurus .454 because you always wanted one.  Then later you get pissed when nobody will even give you a couple of hundred bucks for it.
View Quote

I'm being somewhat vague so as to not influence the advice I get. If I tell you everything about me, my experience level and which guns I already own, then you'll just repeat the same advice that's already in my head. I'm looking for fresh perspectives.

Consider the use for all of the above.

I already know what gun I'd like to buy or which gun I currently own converted. Just trying to decide between calibers. I only have room for one "big boomer" in my collection. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

lol Taurus...

As I mentioned before, I have no current plans to take reloading back up. I reloaded for around 15 years on and off. When an out of state move happened, all that stuff got sold. Truth be told, it had been sitting unused for a couple of years.The knowledge is still there, but the desire isn't. Time is more valuable to me than the pittance I'd save. Let's not turn this into a reloading thread please.

I've checked prices and availability for .45 Colt at LGS, Walmart, Bass Pro in store and also online at Midway. Maybe I'm missing some. Not sure. I'm curious if there is some great plinking ammo out there that I'm not aware of and also where do folks get there .45 Colt hunting ammo?

ETA: this is what the gun will look like regardless of caliber.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I went thru the same issue awhile back.  I ended up trading for a Smith and Wesson 629-3 Classic .44 mag with a full lug 6 1/2 inch barrel that had been Magnaported.  I liked it so much, that I recently traded another gun into a Smith 29-2 4 inch version made in 1968.  It kicks a bit using full power factory .44 magnum loads.  It is an absolute pussycat when shooting .44 special ammo.  It is stupid accurate with Winchester .44 Special ammo.

Ammo availability was the true deciding factor for me.  .44 magnum and .44 Special ammo is so much easier to find.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Lets say for instance I am looking to purchase a used S&W .  I am not sure if I want a nice older blued classic or if I will just look around for a stainless .

No matter how I do my search , at my gun club , at local and not so local stores or through the gun auction sites the 45 guns are pretty much non-exisitent

I reload so I could make either gun work for everything from light plinking to heavy hunting loads and my cast bullets are going to be bought on line so the only hard part is finding a gun at a reasonable price .

Unless I get lucky and trip over a 45 the vast majority of guns out there are 44 mag .

I can't imagine shooting big bore revolver without reloading so the whole 45acp thing doesn't much interest me .

I am not the OP however so he might come to a different choice than me
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]
If reloading is out than .44 mag is really the only option in my opinion,
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger has a new Redhawk that will shoot 45 Colt and 45 ACP, 460 Rowland, and 45 Win Mag. 45 ACP is 1/2 the price of 44 Mag so you can shoot a boat load for practice.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#13]
To bring out the best of .45 Colt you have to load your own.  Since you don't wish to load, go with a .44 magnum.

I was at the range shooting my Freedom Arms model 83, next to me were two folks shooting a .45 Colt  S&W, we traded guns for a few, and I was pretty impressed that the .45 load was damned near equal to my .454 in both recoil and accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Ever read any of Elmer Keith's books?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No books but familiar with some of his anecdotes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was in on the development of the .44 Magnum, and shot (and reloaded) both .44 S&W Special, and .45 (Long) Colt for many years.

He felt that the .44 was the better caliber, in revolvers, because the thicker cylinder walls permitted higher pressures.

He used 18.5 gr. of 2400, to give a 240 gr. cast bullet around 1200 ft/sec muzzle velocity out of an SAA. (.44 Spl.)

I have no idea of the relative merits of the two cartridges in a rifle.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I like 44 mags for larger revolvers, but then again, if I went up, it would be the S&W 460. I like the S&W line for DA/SA over most "common" manufacturers like Ruger, Taurus and so on. You can use both your 454 Cas, 45LC along with the 460 cartridges. I think 45 Schofield to, not sure. I reload so making powder puff to full power isn't an issue. I know you said you would prefer not to but it may be worth it to dust off your equipment when in comes to the calibers found in this paragraph. All of them are really easy to do and with a turret, fairly quick.

As they are straight wall pistols, you really don't need to length trim them. I do for at least the first reload. Use slow burning powders. You need to use more then fast but the pay-off is the capacity to go full-roundhouse and it's not as big a deal if your auto dispenser throws a bit up or down. Something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
.44 magnum and even more so because of the fact that I would be going Smith&Wesson in a 29 or 629 (most size and weight efficient .44 mag, also better trigger, ect) and the Smith .45 long colt revolvers can/t handle the hot loads in that caliber.

.44 magnum can be had for $30 a box for full power 240 grain loads from several manufacturers.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like 44 mags for larger revolvers, but then again, if I went up, it would be the S&W 460. I like the S&W line for DA/SA over most "common" manufacturers like Ruger, Taurus and so on. You can use both your 454 Cas, 45LC along with the 460 cartridges. I think 45 Schofield to, not sure. I reload so making powder puff to full power isn't an issue. I know you said you would prefer not to but it may be worth it to dust off your equipment when in comes to the calibers found in this paragraph. All of them are really easy to do and with a turret, fairly quick.

As they are straight wall pistols, you really don't need to length trim them. I do for at least the first reload. Use slow burning powders. You need to use more then fast but the pay-off is the capacity to go full-roundhouse and it's not as big a deal if your auto dispenser throws a bit up or down. Something to think about.
View Quote

Maybe some day I'll consider reloading, but not for immediate future. My equipment has long been sold anyway. I actually still have quite a bit of hot handloads tucked away. I used to reload pistol calibers such as .38/.357, 10mm and .44 mag, so yeah I'm familiar with the process
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The new Ruger looks interesting in 45LC and ACP with moon clips...

Although I have both calibers, I'm partial to the 45 for the nostalgia,  I have the Vaquero Bisley but that new Ruger has me drooling a little.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:57:52 AM EDT
[#21]
kind of sounds like you already know both sides of the argument. so buy the .44 magnum.

reloading was the biggest factor between those 2 guns as far as i'm concerned. if you're not reloading the 45 does nothing for you , but ammo is harder to find. whereas you can get anything from .44 specials to buffalo bore for the 44 off the shelf. well maybe not the buffalo bore, but they're available online for the .44 if you need em.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#22]
The .45 Colt is the superior cartridge IF you reload. If you don't then it makes no sense. Get the .44 Mag.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's a good question.  I am of the generation that grew up with Dirty Harry, and so I like the .44 Mag.

But, as you say, in the right gun, the right .45 Colt loads will do almost everything that the .44 Magnum does.  (I say almost, as the .44 Magnum will still probably have a slightly flatter trajectory, not really significant in the greater scheme of things).

If you don't handload, I say .44 Mag.  If you do, then it is an almost even contest.

I wouldn't sell my M29, even though I rarely shoot it any more, and when I do it is with .44 Spls.

I need a .45 Colt to be a companion to my Rossi carbine.  I have a SAA clone, but would like some thing like the Redhawk, where I wouldn't have to worry about mixing up loads.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
If the 45 you're looking at is a 454 then you can forget for comparison on the top end. Casul will completely outclass 44 and long colt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#25]
With factory loads, it's a toss-up, either will be great as a hunting round.

My money would be the Super Blackhawk, it's lighter shoots just as well and looks a lot better IMO. For me, the Redhawk has always looked like they made a 2" revolver, then stuck a 6" barrel into the end of it as an after thought.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Both calibers are great but I am partial to the .45LC.

Gen1 7.5" ("Rubber Blue") Second owner, first was my dad at sixteen.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
44 mag all day
View Quote

I don't reload, so it's really no comparison.  Even so, the .44 would still be my choice
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He was in on the development of the .44 Magnum, and shot (and reloaded) both .44 S&W Special, and .45 (Long) Colt for many years.

He felt that the .44 was the better caliber, in revolvers, because the thicker cylinder walls permitted higher pressures.

He used 18.5 gr. of 2400, to give a 240 gr. cast bullet around 1200 ft/sec muzzle velocity out of an SAA. (.44 Spl.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.cartech.com/techarticles.aspx?id=1608

modern alloys make this a non issue. Look up the cylinder wall thickness on rugers 454 vs the 44 mag.

If you want to reload 45 Colt, if you dont 44 mag.

reloading you can get everything out of the 45 Colt or 44 mag.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]
If you won't reload, 44 mag all day.

I bought a .44 mag anaconda after deciding I didn't want to hot load my .45 Blackhawk Convertible. Came to the conclusion I hate heavy recoiling DA revolvers, so I got rid of it. I kinda miss that gun, but it was to damn heavy to carry and I couldn't shoot it well in DA. It was more just for the cool factor.

I still have a few hundred rounds of factory .44 ammo. May buy a carbine someday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ruger has a new Redhawk that will shoot 45 Colt and 45 ACP, 460 Rowland, and 45 Win Mag. 45 ACP is 1/2 the price of 44 Mag so you can shoot a boat load for practice.
View Quote

Got a link? I'm interested in that!!! I love .45acp and .45LC!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I own a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, I've had it for years. Three years ago I used it to defend myself agains't a bear in CO. I used Cor-Bon 200 gr JHP with a listed muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. I just kept shooting until the bear didn't move anymore. I would have used a .44 magnum id I'd had one. Or a .357 magnum, or a .45 acp if that's what I had. Anything but picking up a rock. Bear died about 10-12 feet from me. It was a big bear. I'm 63 yo, and can't run very fast. I reload (sometimes) but not this caliber.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#32]
.44 mag would be my choice.  If you're not handloading, .45 Colt offers no significant advantage.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Get both.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 2:08:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Which would you choose?

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'd like to invite you into my head and into the conversation.

Assume this would be in the exact same gun and nearly the same weight (.45 Colt tends to weigh a hint less because of larger bore and cylinder holes).

The .45 Colt can be had in loads reaching .44 mag levels, so power is equal. The gun I'm looking at is chambered in .454, but I don't plan on shooting any .454, but I guess you could make the point the .45 would be better resale because of versatility.

The .44 mag is found on any gun store's shelf and also in Walmart. The .45 Colt, not so much. Online order for me only unless I want to drive an hour to a large gun store. Availability to the .44 mag.

The costs for full power .44 mag loads are less expensive than heavy .45 Colt loads and are far easier to obtain. The .44 mag can also shoot .44 special which are about as expensive as standard .45 Colt loads. Slight edge to .44 mag. Read below

The .45 could be smithed to allow for moon clips and .45 ACP use, which would substantially increase the versatility of the gun. The ammo costs for .45 ACP are substantially cheaper than anything else we're discussing. Cheap plinking ammo is a pretty big deal. The bold items next to the blue text basically boil down to the "plinking" loads of the gun. .44 spcl, and light .45 Colt loads. With the .45 ACP conversion, this bumps .44 out of the running in my opinion. Accuracy may or may not be sufficient after conversion. Cost is around $150-170. Possibly a huge edge to the .45 Colt.
View Quote

Versatility. The .454 revolver in question will be able to shoot .454 Casull, .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .460 Rowland, .45 Super, and .45 Schofield. That is a large variety of shootable ammo for one handgun.
The gun will be chambered in .454, so why not take full advantage of it? .454 Casull is damn near the same price as .44 Remington Magnum at local gun stores, and big box stores.

You might be able to buy .44 Rem Mag at your local W-M, but mine doesn't stock it. Every W-M I've been to that sells ammo has .45 ACP, and usually a variety of offerings ... JHP, FMJ, 185gr, 230gr, etc. Shit, I can go to the gas station down the road and buy .45 ACP.

Cheap plinking loads:
.44 Special - $20 20 rounds of the 165gr flex tip Hornady stuff. More than $30 20 rounds if you want some real 240gr .44 Special loads,.
.45 ACP - $20 50 rounds of 230gr FMJ

.454 Casull for the win. Ruger doesn't look like too bad of an option. S&W man here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#35]
44 Mag has my vote.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd go .45, I've got the Ruger SRH Toklat and a BFR 454, love both the .45 Colt and 454 Casull.

I can't speak ill of the .44 at all, but the .45 is better even if the differences between the .45 Colt and .44 Magnum aren't that great, the .45 still shoots the bigger bullet.  Luckily I don't rely on commercial made ammo, but there are .45 Colt options out there both regular and heavy stuff and then you have the 454 too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get both.
View Quote

Finally! The right answer.

I reload and I love both.

If I could only have one, the .44 seems to have wider selection of bullet weights commonly available at shops.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm partial to the .44mag  for the fact that brass is easy to come by and cheap, and you at least have the option to by factory ammo when your away from home if you need to.

In my opinion I would not even get in to big bore revolvers unless you reload, and either cartridge is a fine choice for a versatile "do all" handgun

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If the 45 you're looking at is a 454 then you can forget for comparison on the top end. Casul will completely outclass 44 and long colt.
View Quote

Not so, the 45 Colt can duplicate the 454 Casull in any bullet weight by loading to equal pressures, the strength of the gun is the limiting factor. A perfectly safe load in the 45 Colt/454 Casull SRH would be a disaster in a 45 BH.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I prefer the .44 magnum.   Besides the numerous pros and cons of each caliber, my decision is based on one simple factor.   My holy grail gun was a .44 magnum made by Smith and Wesson.  It was a very limited production (less than 500) and even today most people do not know the history or story behind how these guns made it to market. I didn't even know these guns existed for the first 8 years after the run was finished and released to the public.  Then I saw a photo of one and knew that I had to find and buy one.  I searched for 5 years for my holy grail and finally found it and bought it.  2 years later by complete accident I came across a second one. These are the only 2 I have seen in my life except for that photo.  Yeah... I bought that one also....   One of them I carry every time I go into the woods, the other got custom ivory combat grips and became the official BBQ gun, complete with custom leather....
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I prefer the .44 magnum.   Besides the numerous pros and cons of each caliber, my decision is based on one simple factor.   My holy grail gun was a .44 magnum made by Smith and Wesson.  It was a very limited production (less than 500) and even today most people do not know the history or story behind how these guns made it to market. I didn't even know these guns existed for the first 8 years after the run was finished and released to the public.  Then I saw a photo of one and knew that I had to find and buy one.  I searched for 5 years for my holy grail and finally found it and bought it.  2 years later by complete accident I came across a second one. These are the only 2 I have seen in my life except for that photo.  Yeah... I bought that one also....   One of them I carry every time I go into the woods, the other got custom ivory combat grips and became the official BBQ gun, complete with custom leather....
View Quote

Secret squirrel much?

Details or GTFO....

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Secret squirrel much?

Details or GTFO....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Secret squirrel much?

Details or GTFO....

Lot's of build up and then no pay off.

I feel like I'm on a high school date ...lol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#43]
The .45 vs .44 is an old debate.

Here is something to consider, and why I choose .44s primarily, even though I own more than a few .45s as well.

Accuracy. By and large, the very vast majority of the time if you grab 1/2 dozen Ruger and S&W .45 and .44 revolvers, the .44s will on average be better shooters. The reason is the throats in the .45s. It is old news to old shooters, but younger generation shooters often don't know that the throats on .45 revolvers from the factory have been all over the map, size wise. That is why so many custom gunsmiths offer services reaming out .45s to standard dimensions. You pretty much never, ever hear of a .44 that the throats needs cleaned up and dimensions standardized.

What happens is that you often get different sized throats/chambers in the same .45 cylinder and accuracy is all over the map. It is also another reason why custom smiths building a custom .45 for someone often start with a .44 and cut the cylinder to standard/tight tolerances.

It is exceedingly rare to hear of a S&W or Ruger .44 that won't shoot. That is simply not the case for .45s.

Beyond that, I can tell you from personal experience that a properly loaded .44 will handle whatever game you choose, small or large.

I am an avid outdoorsman, live in the Rocky Mountain West and shoot big bores more than a bit . I buy starline .44 brass in bulk, and load in volume, so I can practice at extended ranges, as well as traditional ones .
I have found the properly loaded .44 handles all my needs including long range shooting.

Here is a pic, shooting in the mid 300s:

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Speaking of long range accuracy:

Here is a pic. We are shooting at a 3x3 board on the hill behind my cabin. 800 yards to target, iron sights. A good spotter is needed to really walk them in.

Here is a pic of my daughter and I walking up the hill to target, and then another digging slugs out from behind. A visiting friend had his freedom arms .41 mag and was very dialed in.

In short, I strongly recommend the .44 over .45 if buying a factory gun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#45]
I prefer the.44magnum

Magnum revolvers really shine when you handload

310gr LEE flat-point gas-checks ( 45ACP brass for size comparison )

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not so, the 45 Colt can duplicate the 454 Casull in any bullet weight by loading to equal pressures, the strength of the gun is the limiting factor. A perfectly safe load in the 45 Colt/454 Casull SRH would be a disaster in a 45 BH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just did some loads for the casul. I'll have to look at the book and see if there were listings for the LC that pushed a 300 gr bullet over 1500 fps.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I just did some loads for the casul. I'll have to look at the book and see if there were listings for the LC that pushed a 300 gr bullet over 1500 fps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You won't find them in a book, those loads are from custom makers who do 5 shot conversions on the Rugers. Once again the strength of the gun is the limiting factor.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You won't find them in a book, those loads are from custom makers who do 5 shot conversions on the Rugers. Once again the strength of the gun is the limiting factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just looked at the Hornady book. It lists 45 colt loads for Ruger and TC. I'm seeing the Casul is showing a good 400 fps advantage over the LC "Ruger" loads... I mean you could try to get the same performance out of LC by loading some +P++ rounds but I don't think your gun will like you.

I believe you are referring to the comparison of 44 mag to 45 LC. 44 mag was introduced in the 50's where the LC has been around since the late 1800's. 44 mag was made for modern guns with modern metals. That's why you can find decent 44 mag ammo at walmart. LC on the otherhand is usually loaded down so that all those old cowboy guns can be shot safely. Some modern LC guns are safe to shoot with high pressure rounds, like Ruger or TC or some of the rifles. Those guns can be loaded with higher pressure rounds but you have to handload or you have to buy ammo that is rated for modern guns only.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just looked at the Hornady book. It lists 45 colt loads for Ruger and TC. I'm seeing the Casul is showing a good 400 fps advantage over the LC "Ruger" loads... I mean you could try to get the same performance out of LC by loading some +P++ rounds but I don't think your gun will like you.

I believe you are referring to the comparison of 44 mag to 45 LC. 44 mag was introduced in the 50's where the LC has been around since the late 1800's. 44 mag was made for modern guns with modern metals. That's why you can find decent 44 mag ammo at walmart. LC on the otherhand is usually loaded down so that all those old cowboy guns can be shot safely. Some modern LC guns are safe to shoot with high pressure rounds, like Ruger or TC or some of the rifles. Those guns can be loaded with higher pressure rounds but you have to handload or you have to buy ammo that is rated for modern guns only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go 29 Grains H 110 (296 if you prefer) with a 315 Cast 1617 fps at 59K chamber pressures. Be careful where you put it. This load can be found on Linebaughs site as it is his proof load for his 45 Colts. I use the same load with a 335 cast in my Model 83 with 45 Colt brass and 31.5 Grains when loading in 454 Casull brass, they do the very same thing.The closest you can get to these numbers with the 44 Magnum is the Buffalo Bore 340 cast at @ 1480 fps, but you need a 7.5" or longer barrel, also be careful where you put this load.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Absolutely love my 45LC, had a super redhawk in 44mag and ended up selling it...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top