Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2015 2:08:04 PM EDT
How do you all carry while running or biking?  I'm not typically in "dangerous" areas, but the trails I use for both can be fairly secluded in certain places.  I'd like to CCW while exercising but haven't seen any real appealing options.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's how I do it. I put on my exercise clothes and tuck an undershirt into my running shorts. I put on my wilderness 5 stitch belt right above my hips and put another lightweight shirt over the belt. You could do it with just 1 shirt but the under shirt is nice for comfort and stopping sweat from going directly onto the gun. My raven with Glock 19 rides between the two shirts on the belt. Pretty much it's just regular OWB concealed carry without belt loops on my pants and I ride the belt  a little higher than usual. Try it, it really works and is comfortable. No need to buy a belly band or any of that jazz.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Fanny pack
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Galco belly band with a Glock 43. I wear it over a Nike Pro Combat compression shirt and under a tee shirt. I do trail running exclusively and it's very stable and comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fanny pack
View Quote

This. For the most part fanny packs look pretty gay but who cares what you look like when you are running. Galco makes a good fag pack in several different sizes. You also don't need a pistol as big as a G19 when you're jogging.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably depends on how rigorous your activity will be.

IWB has worked well for me and others with a Shield clear up to a G17.

IWB holds stuff in place very well... no bouncing.

That being said, you're probably going to have issues carrying anything if you dress lightweight and run super long distance stuff.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses.  Those are pretty much the options I had been considering.  I'll probably start with some kind of a fanny pack and see how that works out.  The real problem is the lightweight shorts, they just can't support the additional weight on their own.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Hill People Gear kits work well, particularly for trail running, hiking and mountain biking.  You have to be comfortable with a small chest pack though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#8]
P3AT in a belly band.  

I actually use the second holster to hold my wallet, it works out perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:40:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hill People Gear kits work well, particularly for trail running, hiking and mountain biking.  You have to be comfortable with a small chest pack though.
View Quote

I have the snubby version, works well for compact and subcompact guns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How do you all carry while running or biking?  I'm not typically in "dangerous" areas, but the trails I use for both can be fairly secluded in certain places.  I'd like to CCW while exercising but haven't seen any real appealing options.
View Quote

I use the BG380. I lot of people say its finicky on ammo, but so far it has worked well with aguila ball and Winchester JHP for me.
It's so light I forget I am wearing it. Even the smallest 9mms were too heavy for jersey workout shorts.  This thing is perfect, I wear it IWB in a BRAID convertible pocket/IWB holster when I jog.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to have one but a HPG kits would look odd in So FL.  It would have been great in my past in the woods of the Northeast (hiking, fishing, skiiing, snowboarding, mtn biking).
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a HPG bag & own it!

Start the trend!

I live in the mountains & carry
a Noatak everyday, so one of
these chest packs is comfortable
for me to wear hiking, etc, in my AO.

I love that bag.

John

Quoted:

I'd like to have one but a HPG kits would look odd in So FL.  It would have been great in my past in the woods of the Northeast (hiking, fishing, skiiing, snowboarding, mtn biking).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#14]
The beauty of the fanny pack is that it serves two purposes. The CCW to ward off bad guys and the pack itself to ward off females.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:55:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Buy a HPG bag & own it!

Start the trend!
View Quote

Where's the <SNAPS FINGERS> animation?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The beauty of the fanny pack is that it serves two purposes. The CCW to ward off bad guys and the pack itself to ward off females.
View Quote

Keep the GD responses in GD.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here. My Glock 43 fits perfectly. I carry a reload in the front section.

Previously, I was using a Pistolwear PT-1 which is a neoprene belly band, a fantastic option. It is super comfortable and the neoprene does a great job of preventing sweat from getting through to your pistol. The draw is a bit cumbersome, though, which is to be expected with belly bands.

I'll be honest that one of the big reasons I switched to the G43 is because the Hill People Snubby kit didn't block sweat. I ran a 10K with my Shield in the compartment, and it was drenched when I pulled it out. I gave it a good detail strip and cleaning, but it's just something to be aware of. My brand of sweat is somewhat acidic, and I believe the glock will fare a little better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a blade tech IWB with the snap belt loops and an Ares Gear hard belt. I use the holster to sort of clamp over my shorts. I wear a shirt that is a size too big. Works really well. I've used this method for years. Now if only I would run consistently and stop being huge, lol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
LCP in pocket holster.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I can't help you with the running, however I always have a Camelbak hydration pack biking which easily holds a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Cop I ride with mountain bikes with a Glock 19 IWB.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
A frame bag is great for biking. Keeps your gun handy and the bike carries the weight. I keep my other tools, snacks, and spare parts in there too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I actually use a riggers belt on the inside of my shorts with a holster.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I carry a Glock 36 with a smart carry deep cover rig when engaged in active outdoor sports like baseball / softball. First I use an athletic supporter without the cup in place. Next a wife beater undershirt followed by the Smartcarry rig. The final tee shirt is untucked of course.

With this combination, if your primary shirt is removed, you will be able to see the imprint of the rig in the front of the shorts but with the outside shirt on and draped over in front, this is a very effective deep concealment option that works when Gym clothes is the required dress. I keep an extra mag as well. I find the biggest drawback to be the fact that you've just gained an extra couple pounds. You won't want to run the 40 for your personal best time but you can certainly haul ass while everything stays put.

The draw definitely requires practice as does putting the rosco back in place. This combination with the newer G43 or the existing G42 would be even more comfortable. I haven't tried this setup while cycling but I suspect it would be a real nut crusher. On foot activity however is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

" />

Here's one way i carry on my longer trail runs. Just stuff a gun in a small hydration carrier. Not that quick to get to the firearm, but i got one if i need it.

But i am going to get the Hill People chest rig thing for running. This will fit the bill in my running life perfectly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fanny pack
View Quote

This. You'll want one that holds stuff still and close to the body.

Can't believe there are suggestions for bellybands for this stuff, or the use of G19's for carry while running. Bands would either be nasty as hell, or fall apart from all the washing?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I use a Hill People Gear Runners' Kit Bag when I run.  I usually use my Glock 17 w/TLR-1s for PT duty because it's lighter than my 1911.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I hike nature trails 3-5 days a week and carry my CW380/P380 in a Don Hume  J.I.T belt slide it's lite weight and hides the pistol  even with T-Shirt and shorts. Running I would try a small fanny/gun back better support and not out of place  Ive seen a lot of runners wearing  them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Am I the only HPG Kitbag owner that gets the straps super stinky?  Or is it just not talked about? I hand wash them with some oxy clean after every couple of runs.  I do love that thing though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can't believe there are suggestions for bellybands for this stuff, or the use of G19's for carry while running. Bands would either be nasty as hell, or fall apart from all the washing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fanny pack

Pretty much what I've thought.   I sweat through my clothes pretty easily so anything in a belly band would be absolutely soaked.  Also, while I have to admit I haven't tried it, I don't think the elastic in my running shorts is up to supporting the weight of my Shield in an IWB holster.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]
The HPG bags look pretty nice and comfortable. I can hardly consider it concealed carry with one though. Practically a holster on your chest. Which is fine for open carry. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#32]
ever considered just wearing a plain old leather belt around your hips, with a holster either inside or outside?  you can get a belt snugged up just right even without pants on and it will stay in place.

i'd probably go with a j frame if this were something i were doing myself. or an lcp. biggest would be  a shield/glock 43. there's also the taurus curve. although idk how good that actually is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ever considered just wearing a plain old leather belt around your hips, with a holster either inside or outside?  you can get a belt snugged up just right even without pants on and it will stay in place.

i'd probably go with a j frame if this were something i were doing myself. or an lcp. biggest would be  a shield/glock 43. there's also the taurus curve. although idk how good that actually is.
View Quote
I carry a Taurus Model 85 in an OWB holster on my belt (I found some shorts with belt-loops).  I usually have my t-shirt over the top of the gun while I fast-walk a warmup lap, then tuck it behind the gun while I run to keep the sweat off the gun.  OC is no big deal here, and I 've never heard anyone complain.

As for the hill peeps bag- NO thanks.  First, I don't want to look like I'm out playing commando or airsoft, and second, every person I know that is a serious hiker (steep terrain for a LOT of miles) has tried a chest pack and used it only once or twice before tossing it.  It sounds like a great way to balance the backpack weight and have some items handy, but in the end it's way too hot.  When I hike my back is sopping wet with sweat after just a couple miles, the open front is all I have for surface area to let sweat evaporate.  I tried a chest holster for a while, and though it wasn't as hot as a pack, the constant thumping while walking was maddening, I cannot imagine that while running.

What does a HPG bag go for, around $70 to $80? If you have the money, go ahead and try it.  It's kind of an expensive rig to end up in the unused holster pile though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#34]
LCP or P32 with a clip on holster shines in this area.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top