BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yoda_USAF:

What evidence is there to support this? The West Germany-manufactured SIGs are outstanding pistols in every aspect, by anyone's standards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
Originally Posted By CountryHam:
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:
Any sig P320's on the line yet?

Iam interested as well

After visiting the Sig factory this past week, I definitely want to put some 320's on the line and see how they hold up.

I was able to take a tour throughout the factory and was AMAZED at how things are done there. The new facility is huge and looks more like a sterile aerospace lab than a firearms manufacturing facility. The CEO brought us into his office to show their latest offerings and why it's so much better than the old "West German" made Sig's that I always thought were better. After seeing what the old plant looked like in West Germany as compared to how things are made in their new facility.. there is NO way that the older German stuff could be better. We saw production from beginning to end during a regular work day and the amount of quality control put into each product with so many people verifying and testing is amazing.

We also had a chance to visit the Sig Sauer Academy and though I can't go into specifics, they had ELITE agencies training there. We couldn't take pictures of what they were in, how they arrived (amazing) or what weapons they were using but needless to say I was just blown away by what I saw. We will definitely start running some 320's and MCX's along side our MPX full-autos (which run like champs) and provide some insight into them.

V/R
Ron

What evidence is there to support this? The West Germany-manufactured SIGs are outstanding pistols in every aspect, by anyone's standards.

And it begins........
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Any info on CZ-75s or their variants?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Effenpig:

And it begins........
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CountryHam:
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:
Any sig P320's on the line yet?

Iam interested as well

After visiting the Sig factory this past week, I definitely want to put some 320's on the line and see how they hold up.

I was able to take a tour throughout the factory and was AMAZED at how things are done there. The new facility is huge and looks more like a sterile aerospace lab than a firearms manufacturing facility. The CEO brought us into his office to show their latest offerings and why it's so much better than the old "West German" made Sig's that I always thought were better. After seeing what the old plant looked like in West Germany as compared to how things are made in their new facility.. there is NO way that the older German stuff could be better. We saw production from beginning to end during a regular work day and the amount of quality control put into each product with so many people verifying and testing is amazing.

We also had a chance to visit the Sig Sauer Academy and though I can't go into specifics, they had ELITE agencies training there. We couldn't take pictures of what they were in, how they arrived (amazing) or what weapons they were using but needless to say I was just blown away by what I saw. We will definitely start running some 320's and MCX's along side our MPX full-autos (which run like champs) and provide some insight into them.

V/R
Ron

And it begins........

The two most prominent Sig armorers in the US have been saying the same thing for a few years now.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had quite a few West German Sigs. While I was very happy with them I prefer the American Sigs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By samuse:
The two most prominent Sig armorers in the US have been saying the same thing for a few years now.  

View All Quotes

snip

V/R

Ron

And it begins........

I worked for a while with a Secret Service guy who had been an armorer for the agency. His opinion of the West German SIG pistols was very high, and said that the later pistols were significantly less durable over high round counts.

That said, I remember him buying at least one new-manufacture SIG pistol while he worked at the shop.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the amazing thread and info!

Are you guys running any RMR'd glocks? Those slide fractures you have got me wondering if they're more prone to those failures due to the slide being cut into
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
I worked for a while with a Secret Service guy who had been an armorer for the agency. His opinion of the West German SIG pistols was very high, and said that the later pistols were significantly less durable over high round counts.

That said, I remember him buying at least one new-manufacture SIG pistol while he worked at the shop.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CFletch:

And it begins........

I would not be surprised if the new manufacturing methods mean they have less QC issues spotted NOW that need correcting versus older models.

My question would be....what is the quality of those looking FOR QC issues?  If its on par with their current customer service, I already know first hand its a fucking joke.

There seems to be more QC issues with the QC checkers of the American Plant, even if their parts are better overall.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

I would not be surprised if the new manufacturing methods mean they have less QC issues spotted NOW that need correcting versus older models.

My question would be....what is the quality of those looking FOR QC issues?  If its on par with their current customer service, I already know first hand its a fucking joke.

There seems to be more QC issues with the QC checkers of the American Plant, even if their parts are better overall.
View Quote

I am definitely not a shill for Sig Sauer but I can tell that after meeting the management and the other staff, they REALLY take their jobs serious. Sig has spent some money hiring away talent from other companies. The funniest thing was when we were  on the floor inspecting their CNC's, I ran into a guy who worked at Glock for years. They hired him and his wife away from Georgia and moved them up to New Hampshire for a special projects division. I know it had to be more than money to get him away from Glock.. it had to be the satisfaction of getting to come up with new ideas on the market.

Again, I am NO shill and have expressed how the Glock's continue to function even after the slide cracks BUT, we have experience two more broken slides since my last update. We are not swapping out all the recoil springs at approximately 10,000 rounds right now to see if that helps reduce the amount of broken slides. I will check to see if there's been any change since making instituting that change in the armory.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you noticed any difference in the USA made glocks vs the Austrian made ones?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#10]

I am definitely not a shill for Sig Sauer but I can tell that after meeting the management and the other staff, they REALLY take their jobs serious. Sig has spent some money hiring away talent from other companies. The funniest thing was when we were  on the floor inspecting their CNC's, I ran into a guy who worked at Glock for years. They hired him and his wife away from Georgia and moved them up to New Hampshire for a special projects division. I know it had to be more than money to get him away from Glock.. it had to be the satisfaction of getting to come up with new ideas on the market.

Again, I am NO shill and have expressed how the Glock's continue to function even after the slide cracks BUT, we have experience two more broken slides since my last update. We are not swapping out all the recoil springs at approximately 10,000 rounds right now to see if that helps reduce the amount of broken slides. I will check to see if there's been any change since making instituting that change in the armory.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Ron,
Do you have any polymer Sigs on the line and how are they holding up?

With the glocks and the cracked slides is Glock fixing those?  Have they showed any interest into looking into the cracking and coming up with a solution or are they just saying at that round count it's going to happen?

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

I know for a fact you're not a shill, you're reports have been forthcoming, honest and show absolutely no bias whatsoever.  Not a concern!

I've just been very upset with their CS, or lack thereof when it came to a very specific 1400 dollar gun, and lack of desire to fix a problem that is a serious issue.  Not the only one who noticed it too.

They may be producing the best guns they've ever put out, but their CS is an absolute joke.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a lot of pages, maybe it's been run through, but I am curious if you have ran any of the newer rugers into the ground.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
If you got over 100k out of a 500 glock, I would say you got your moneys worth. Have you thrown any vp9s on the line or only usp's? Also are the usp's of the 9mm variety or 45?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

You make it sound like Glocks are disintegrating right and left.  Just for clarification:  do these Glocks have a buttload of rounds through them or are they experiencing premature failures?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

You make it sound like Glocks are disintegrating right and left.  Just for clarification:  do these Glocks have a buttload of rounds through them or are they experiencing premature failures?
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

V/R
Ron

Again it's been said before in here, but great example of the value of this thread.  I've been debating whether I should buy another G34. I have about 10K rounds on mine right now and with practicing a lot for IDPA 10K rounds in a year is very possible.  I might go ahead and do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, Henderson Defense, please keep  us posted to any improvement or not  in the slide cracking issue based on how often the recoil springs are replaced or not replaced.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By CyberIntel:

Again it's been said before in here, but great example of the value of this thread.  I've been debating whether I should buy another G34. I have about 10K rounds on mine right now and with practicing a lot for IDPA 10K rounds in a year is very possible.  I might go ahead and do it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CyberIntel:

V/R
Ron

V/R
Ron

G34 has much more material where these cracks are occurring.  

But buy another 34 anyways, because why not!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Guns shooting extremely high round counts of .40, .367 Sig, or 9mm NATO will ALL eventually crack the slide; it's inevitable.  No one makes a super-gun...they're all mortal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By monadh:
OP

At the start of the thread, there was a statement that you would discuss the performance of the 1911 in more detail, but after scanning the 18 pages of the thread I didn't see it.  There was an ocassional reference to 1911s but it seems most of the talk has been about Glock, Sig, and Beretta performance.  Did I just miss your comments?

Regards.
View Quote

From my experience...  When a 1911 frame cracks it tends to crack in non-critical areas.  If it's an earlier style frame, there will be a crack in the slide rail where the slide stop goes through.  Later guns just milled this out and created a flex point.  The other most common place for a cracked frame is where the dust cover joins the slide rail.  Seems to always start on the left side, and will work it's way around to about 60% and then stop.  

If a 1911 cracks a slide and that cracked slide is allowed to go long, it will pull the slide rails off of the frame.  

As for 1911 slides, they crack at the same place as pretty much every other slide out there, 1/16"-1/8" of the breech face, usually on the right side.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:55:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maynard] [#21]
Removed - Maynard
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maynard] [#22]
Removed - Maynard
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:12:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maynard] [#23]
Removed
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maynard] [#24]
Removed
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:00:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maynard] [#25]

Yeah, I reported it too. Unless it's me you want banned?!?!?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#27]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

V/R
Ron

At least it's the slides failing and not the frames so i can get a new slide sent to me without the FFL inconvenience if it comes to that.

Thanks for continuing to update us Ron.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hero:

View Quote

Not at all.
Fucking jerk was messing with one of the best threads on here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Maynard:
All is well
View Quote

Thanks brother.
That is the first time I have ever used the report button, guess I'm a rat now
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maynard] [#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Click2Boom:
View Quote

If a frame were to fail and you sent it back to the factory, provided they don't change the serial number, it can come directly back to you without involving an FFL.  Some manufacturers will destroy the old frame and issue a new one with the same serial number, and some won't; just depends on how Glock handles that.  But with a Glock, it would be exceptionally easy to keep the old serial number.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RWM:

Not at all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RWM:
Originally Posted By Hero:

Not at all.

Absolutely! Totally unacceptable.

Thanks Maynard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#33]

I mentioned in the AR/M4 thread that I will get a topic started on shotguns and the biggest teaser is.... Benelli M4.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Great service you are doing here, THANKS !!
What parts break if any on the Benelli M4 ? round count ?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 3030ai:

If a frame were to fail and you sent it back to the factory, provided they don't change the serial number, it can come directly back to you without involving an FFL.  Some manufacturers will destroy the old frame and issue a new one with the same serial number, and some won't; just depends on how Glock handles that.  But with a Glock, it would be exceptionally easy to keep the old serial number.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3030ai:
Originally Posted By Click2Boom:

When Glock had their issues with the Exx frames blowing out the left rear rail that's what they did. I had a G20 go back and the frame send back to me was the same serial number, but with a 1 at the end of the SN.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By PRAIRIERAT:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PRAIRIERAT:

I mentioned in the AR/M4 thread that I will get a topic started on shotguns and the biggest teaser is.... Benelli M4.

V/R
Ron

Nothing on the M4 has broken to date and it's almost FOUR years on the line. In my experience, the Benelli M4 is the Glock of the shotgun world.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Another great thread op.

Thanks for taking the time to share all this info with us.

If I make it back to Vegas, ill be there.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:56:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gunhand1:
Any info on CZ-75s or their variants?
View Quote

I'd like to know too
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#38]

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

V/R
Ron

Ron
What gen/caliber are failing in the 20-30k range?  I'm curious if it's the newer dual recoil spring assembly design.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll be in Vegas in December.

How do I get the tour ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

Ron
What gen/caliber are failing in the 20-30k range?  I'm curious if it's the newer dual recoil spring assembly design.

View Quote

The Glocks that suffer the most failures are the Gen 4's. The frame suffers a crack at the metal "lip" that rides in the slide and the slide cracks at weakest point of the ejection port.

We don't have any CZ's other than Bren 805's, Evo 3's and original skorpian machine pistols.

As for our tours, send me a message and I will get you squared away.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#42]

The Glocks that suffer the most failures are the Gen 4's. The frame suffers a crack at the metal "lip" that rides in the slide and the slide cracks at weakest point of the ejection port.

We don't have any CZ's other than Bren 805's, Evo 3's and original skorpian machine pistols.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

Ron

V/R
Ron

At what point do you see the Gen 4's breaking? 30,000 rounds, 50,000?  While they break more than the Gen 3's, it still sounds like they are amazingly durable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:58:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By DanW:
At what point do you see the Gen 4's breaking? 30,000 rounds, 50,000?  While they break more than the Gen 3's, it still sounds like they are amazingly durable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DanW:

Ron

V/R

Ron

The points where the Gen 4s are breaking are not unique to that model so I can't help but wonder if they are just being shot more than the Gen 3s.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Ron

I'm curious about this too.  I would think the weak portion of the slide on a Gen 4 would be the loop that holds the recoil assembly at the front.  I don't see why the slides would break at the ejection port more on Gen4's than Gen3's unless there's been a lowering of manufacturing quality or they are being shot way more than Gen3's.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#45]

I'm curious about this too.  I would think the weak portion of the slide on a Gen 4 would be the loop that holds the recoil assembly at the front.  I don't see why the slides would break at the ejection port more on Gen4's than Gen3's unless there's been a lowering of manufacturing quality or they are being shot way more than Gen3's.
View All Quotes

Ron

The rear of the port doesn't surprise me- isn't that right next to a frame rail?  While I have heard of the nose of the slide breaking (as well as breach face failure), it seems that more force is regularly applied to the rear frame rails and the associated section of slide.  I agree- clealy something has changed between generations, whether it is a geometry change, a metallurgy change, or something else.

Interestingly, if BV isn't experiencing any breach face failures at all, that does actually bolster the claim that the Glock breach face failures may be a result of dry firing.

I love this thread!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

The rear of the port doesn't surprise me- isn't that right next to a frame rail?  While I have heard of the nose of the slide breaking (as well as breach face failure), it seems that more force is regularly applied to the rear frame rails and the associated section of slide.  I agree- clealy something has changed between generations, whether it is a geometry change, a metallurgy change, or something else.

Interestingly, if BV isn't experiencing any breach face failures at all, that does actually bolster the claim that the Glock breach face failures may be a result of dry firing.

I love this thread!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Ron

I love this thread!

I haven't heard this before how would dry firing cause breach face failures?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 2:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#47]

I haven't heard this before how would dry firing cause breach face failures?
View Quote

Presumably a large number of repeated impacts against the back of the breach face eventually cause crack propagation and eventually structural failure of the breach face.

The fact that this failure is relatively rare may either mean that it takes a lot of impacts, a slide with metallurgical imperfections beyond the norm, or both.

Or it could just mean most of us don't do enough dry practice...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 2:29:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joenuclear1] [#48]
IIRC the Sig 1911's were the least trouble in your initial report. Is that still true?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Is it fair to say that in this sample size the Gen3 Glocks are out living the G4's by a significant margin?
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By joenuclear1:
IIRC the Sig 1911's were the least trouble in your initial report. Is that still true?
View Quote

When the youtuber Mr GunsNGear interviewed the armorer, they mentioned Rock Islands being the least problematic.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top