Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 12:06:14 AM EDT
I find when I shoot off hand/weak hand or whatever the fancy term for it is now, I have to cant the gun in. If I don't then my POI is off and the recoil exaggerated.

Similar experiences?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Holyshit I just realized it's because I am bringing the gun over to my dominate eye

I just blew my mind!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can aim the gun and the bullets impact where you intend grip cant eye dominant etc means jack diddily.
Sight alignment and trigger control are the simple two keys to pistol shooting. The fundamentals are not hard to understand or complicated, just hard to apply consistently.
Fwiw many bullseye pistol shooters ( way more skill involved in doing this really well than combat style shooting) will have a slight cant when shooting
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I do the same thing when shooting one handed, whether right or left handed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The first time I ever saw someone do that it, was a lady deputy at the range and she was shooting incredibly well.

When she was finished shooting I asked what the deal was and she explained it all to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do the same thing when shooting one handed, whether right or left handed.
View Quote

Yup, holding the pistol at an angle also helps dealing w/ the recoil a bit, gets you back on point for followups quicker.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Holyshit I just realized it's because I am bringing the gun over to my dominate eye

I just blew my mind!
View Quote
Yep.  I'm cross-dominant.  With most pistols I will see two front sights unless I cant the gun ever so slghtly.  I used to try and fight it. Finally learned to let it happen and my accuracy improve indeed.  J

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:30:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Normal, I do the same. Slight can't shooting support side only.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Same here.   I'm much more effective shooting that way than trying to do a traditional grip and sight picture.  I'm now trying to do a lot of other things off handed, with varying degrees of success.  Teeth brushing doesn't seem to work yet, and I can't write my name legibly....
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I do the same when shooting one handed. It makes it easier to see the sights, plus it feels more natural (it's similar to pointing because when you point at something your hand is canted slightly.)
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I do the same thing--cant it for my right eye.
What's interesting is that with my left hand, I can't tell when the trigger is going to break, so I tend to get surprised more and shoot really well (though really slowly).
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
A slight inward cant is the way I was taught to shoot weak handed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont have a strong hand

Dont forget to bring your none shooting hand into your chest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
That's the only way I can shoot weak hand.  Semi-gangsta
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I guess I was able to imagine the 'cant' but not why. I'm right-handed and right-eyed. Covering my right eye, I was able to sight the pistol in either hand without 'canting'. Hell, maybe I'm 'ambi-eyed'! I sighted the pistol in each hand with both eyes open. When in my left hand, I was left-eyed. In the right hand, I was right-eyed. So, I got out another 1911 and tried two at once, both eyes open of course. I saw right away that I can't actually sight but one at a time. I think its physically impossible to sight both at the same time, but you can point both at the same time, which must be how two-gun shooters do it. But even so, neither one needs to be canted, although they both would be turned inward so the POIs would be the same at the target range (probably no more than 45'). This would take some practice, and I'm pretty sure the old man at the range would have a heart attack if he caught me shooting two pistols. But I do practice frequently shooting with the left hand just in case I ever get the chance to try it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
A slight cant when shooting one-hand sighted fire helps engage all the muscles in your arm.  It's not 'gangsta' style but an easy wrist roll to lock the arm up to the shoulder.  A slight bend at the elbow helps absorb recoil.  Left hand extended, left foot steps towards target and sight with left eye.  It doesn't matter which eye is dominate; we're likely talking 10 yards or less.  You can teach each eye to focus on sights.  Practice.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A slight cant when shooting one-hand sighted fire helps engage all the muscles in your arm.  It's not 'gangsta' style but an easy wrist roll to lock the arm up to the shoulder. A slight bend at the elbow helps absorb recoil.  Left hand extended, left foot steps towards target and sight with left eye.  It doesn't matter which eye is dominate; we're likely talking 10 yards or less.  You can teach each eye to focus on sights.  Practice.  
View Quote

Indeed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top