Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 7:14:59 PM EDT
Recently purchased a glock 42, 300+ rounds runs great.
My question, is there a general consensus on what the best .380 personal defense round is?
I've got some hornady critical defense with the FTX bullet but I've read that its not optimum ammo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I use magtec and crit.def. but alot of 380 people want ball ammo for 380 for penetration.  In FL its all light clothing some im ok with HP
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Gee... almost everybody likes to run down everyone else's choices here (so expect that and take with grain of salt).

I don't know the info on Hornadays .380 but I do like the 9mm Critical Defense.  I think the most important thing in a gun fight or serious social encounter is to have a gun. Next is SHOT PLACEMENT.  

380's have never been extoled for their over power cartridge. So one in the eye otta do (that is after the two to the chest or throat).

I like the "no clog" design of the capped HP and expansion on impact. Also the powder they use get every bit of horsepower out of the short barrel.

I think the most important thing is how you think about it and the confidence and skill you apply. So if you know it will do it probably will do for you.

Oh yea.... this is against two legged puny humans RIGHT? Not trying to defend yourself from giant white bears charging out of a snow bank (that might not work).

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ball.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the preference is non-expanding bullets, not necessarily ball, in the 380.  My fav is:

BB 100g lead FP +P
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry Federal Hydra Shok.
Has good penetration and pretty consistent expansion.

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the preference is non-expanding bullets, not necessarily ball, in the 380.  My fav is:

BB 100g lead FP +P
View Quote

Doing Google research I came across that BB and like it.  A lot,  The drawback is they're lead bullets and this is for a glock 42.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Glocks don't explode like vampires with sunlight when you shoot lead from them. It's just the poly barrels foul more, meaning if you don't scrub the barrels lead build up will occur (just like every barrel) and after thousands of lead bullets fired without cleaning it you may have a issue.  Or you can just clean your gun and not worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Spam - Maynard
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#9]
FMJ
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I use 102 grain Remington's.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I've looked at several videos on the net... and seems that most consistent performing loads ie. 12" of gelatin and a minimum expansion to .40" is a 90grain  XTP (Hornady) loaded by whomever.... I currently have the G42 loaded with the Critical Defense with 90 grain FTX, but have some with XTPs on order, and will switch if they feed reliable... YMMV
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Any load with the Hornady XTP.  There are some nice gel test results coming out from the Lehigh Defense XP bullet too.

Otherwise, WWB FMJ.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting video...gotta think about my choices
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry the Remington 88 grain JHP marked HTP (High Terminal Performance) in my Glock 42.  This appears to be the same bullet that Remington has loaded since the early 80's.  I worked an armed robbery back in the 80's where the suspect was shot by the store owner with this load.  The perp took 3 or 4 of these 88 grain JHP fired from a Browning BDA 380.   The 88 grain JHP performance was good IMHO, enough so I have no hesitation in carrying it.  If the hollow point doesn't expand it will penetrate like a FMJ and this load did not under penetrate the perps winter clothing.  The perp survived but was laying on the floor of the business when the first Officer's arrived.  The perp definitely had had enough and did not like being shot with the lowly 380.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:04:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Any thing loaded with an XTP bullet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

"like"
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I watched the Youtube videos where the guy tests almost every different .380 load under the sun and I settled on Fiocchi "Extreme XTP Line" 90 grain XTPHP. It was one of the better performers in his tests.

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Fmj
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:09:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I carry Federal Hydra Shok.
Has good penetration and pretty consistent expansion.

Dave N
View Quote

This is what my wife and I use. Has worked well for years and still does.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ball.
View Quote

This.

The real problem with the .380 and weaker loads is not expansion, it's penetration.   If the bullet can't reliably get into the vitals, it's not going to get the job done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This.

The real problem with the .380 and weaker loads is not expansion, it's penetration.   If the bullet can't reliably get into the vitals, it's not going to get the job done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ball.

This.

Take a look at the Ammo Quest video linked above. While many HP rounds under perform, there are several that easily and consistantly exceed FBI requirements for penetration, and also have very good expansion.

Once upon a time, your answer was correct, but not any more. 9mm is not the only round to see significant advancements in recent times.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Any of the modern big name 380 rounds will penetrate 10-14 inches of gel through multiple layers of denim with some expansion through a 2-3 inch barrel. It honestly mostly comes down to what you like and see as more available. With modern ammo, theres no reason to carry ball in a 380...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like there's a couple of new kids on the block that will be on my shelf soon!

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Yup. Precision One is what I carry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
A 12 inch consistent minimum has become the accepted self defense industry standard. So far Precision one seems to be the only one to accomplish that standard. Personally I think it's much smarter to step up to 9mm and 147gr HST.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any of the modern big name 380 rounds will penetrate 10-14 inches of gel through multiple layers of denim with some expansion through a 2-3 inch barrel. It honestly mostly comes down to what you like and see as more available. With modern ammo, theres no reason to carry ball in a 380...

A 12 inch consistent minimum has become the accepted self defense industry standard. So far Precision one seems to be the only one to accomplish that standard. Personally I think it's much smarter to step up to 9mm and 147gr HST.

That's simply not true... Once again, watch the Ammo Quest videos. I believe all of the rounds to make the final cut (5 in all), consistently surpassed the 12" minimum.

The ones that made the cut were:

Federal Hydra-Shok

HPR

Hornady Customs

Fiocchi Extrema

Precision One

Hell, the only reason the Extrema rounds didn't take the #1 spot was because they OVER-penetrated in the denim test.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I think you need to re-watch the vids my friend. Those other 4 had inconsistent expatiation. ONLY precision one accomplished CONSISTENT penetration and expansion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's simply not true... Once again, watch the Ammo Quest videos. I believe all of the rounds to make the final cut (5 in all), consistently surpassed the 12" minimum.    

Federal Hydra-Shok

HPR

Hornady Customs

Fiocchi Extrema

Precision One
Hell, the only reason the Extrema rounds didn't take the #1 spot was because they OVER-penetrated in the denim test.

I think you need to re-watch the vids my friend. Those other 4 had inconsistent expatiation. ONLY precision one accomplished CONSISTENT penetration and expansion.

So now you are talking about expansion? You do realize that in your first post, you said Precision One is the only round to accomplish the 12" minimum standard? That statement was incorrect, as I stated.

Btw, all of those rounds had pretty consistent expansion. Precision One was just the most consistent. Just because there is one best round, doesn't mean the others are under performers.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:41:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Good God a clueless nit picker ................ u win.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Federal Hydra-Shok

HPR

Hornady Customs

Fiocchi Extrema

Precision One

So now you are talking about expansion? You do realize that in your first post, you said Precision One is the only round to accomplish the 12" minimum standard? That statement was incorrect, as I stated.

Btw, all of those rounds had pretty consistent expansion. Precision One was just the most consistent. Just because there is one best round, doesn't mean the others are under performers.
Quoted:

Good God a clueless nit picker ................ u win.

You claim there is only one HP round to accomplish the 12" minimum standard, I correct this obviously wrong statement.... and that makes me a "clueless nit picker".

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
CoC #6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top