Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 12:17:33 AM EDT

for years I have thought my boy was Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant. today we spent a couple of serious hours at the range. his Pistol and Rifle shooting improved dramatically shooting left handed.

what are my best options for Pistols that are Southpaw friendly?

any ideas on how I should handle it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't know whether he's left or right handed?  For handguns I'd just let him shoot with whichever hand he's more comfortable with and shoots better with.  For long guns a lot of people shoot with whatever side is their dominant eye.  So some cross eye dominant people shoot handguns with the right hand and long guns with their left, or vice versa.

I'm a lefty and can shoot pretty much any handgun just fine.  My only requirement is if it has a manual safety it's gotta be ambi.  All other controls I can handle just fine when set up for a righty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#2]
no..

I know he is Right Handed - Left Eye Dominant.

now, I am looking for pistols that are Left Handed friendly- with controls. Ambi Safeties and possibly reversible mag releases?

which models have a better following with the Left Handed Shooters.

his Sig 225 is his baby.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol my friend shoots rifles right handed but uses the sights/scope with his left eye. Not sure how it works...Probably explains why he cant hit a barn from the inside.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a B.I.L. which is right handed and left eye dominate.  I noticed it when he was at my house shooting.  He had not even realized the issue till I pointed it out to him when he started trying to shoot long guns.   I also have  other friends who are cross dominate and I have found Glock pistols are some of the easiest pistols for them to use.  The Gen 4 Glocks have reversible mag catches and if you use the suggested Glock method of grasping the slide to chamber a round as opposed to using the slide catch the Glocks are very left hand friendly.    Any of the current safe action/DAO pistols are easily learned by either right or left handed shooters.  As mentioned ambidextrouse safeties/decockers and desire can allow any left hand shooter to be just as capable as a right hand shooter with 1911's or other older designs.  Even revolvers such as the K frame S&W's which were commonly carried by LE a few decades ago are easily employed by lefties.  

I find cross dominate shooters easily adapt to shooting handguns decent with either hand but do best shooting long guns from their dominate eye side unless using red dot sights with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a chance to interview a lot of the world class pistol shooters over the last 30 years, as well as 25 years of testing students on reactions times as a function of right or left brain dominance... all but one of the shooters were right handed with left eye dominance, and most shot right handed isosceles, and those recently with the thumb forward grip... there appears to be a reaction time difference due to the brain dominance... quickest are left handed ~.1s, next right handed with left eye dominance <.15s, then right handed and those that when they interlace their fingers and cross their thumbs have a left thumb on top <.2s, and slowest right handed and those that end up with right thumb on top >.2s (which is me unfortunately)

as with other comment, let him decide...but try isosceles with thumb forward grip
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a B.I.L. which is right handed and left eye dominate.  I noticed it when he was at my house shooting.  He had not even realized the issue till I pointed it out to him when he started trying to shoot long guns.   I also have  other friends who are cross dominate and I have found Glock pistols are some of the easiest pistols for them to use.  The Gen 4 Glocks have reversible mag catches and if you use the suggested Glock method of grasping the slide to chamber a round as opposed to using the slide catch the Glocks are very left hand friendly.    Any of the current safe action/DAO pistols are easily learned by either right or left handed shooters.  As mentioned ambidextrouse safeties/decockers and desire can allow any left hand shooter to be just as capable as a right hand shooter with 1911's or other older designs.  Even revolvers such as the K frame S&W's which were commonly carried by LE a few decades ago are easily employed by lefties.  

I find cross dominate shooters easily adapt to shooting handguns decent with either hand but do best shooting long guns from their dominate eye side unless using red dot sights with both eyes open.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.
he has fought me since he was 6 years old shooting when I brought up that I thought he should shoot left handed. he tried so hard to be "normal".  I finally couldn't stand it anymore now that he is old enough to completely understand the situation.

He shoots my 4 inch SW66 like lightening as well as the single stack Sig. I had already planned on getting his a G19 this summer, so I'll go ahead with that plan.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had a chance to interview a lot of the world class pistol shooters over the last 30 years, as well as 25 years of testing students on reactions times as a function of right or left brain dominance... all but one of the shooters were right handed with left eye dominance, and most shot right handed isosceles, and those recently with the thumb forward grip... there appears to be a reaction time difference due to the brain dominance... quickest are left handed ~.1s, next right handed with left eye dominance <.15s, then right handed and those that when they interlace their fingers and cross their thumbs have a left thumb on top <.2s, and slowest right handed and those that end up with right thumb on top >.2s (which is me unfortunately)

as with other comment, let him decide...but try isosceles with thumb forward grip
View Quote

very interesting.

Isosceles left handed thumb forward?

how did you get into that field of study?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that there are more, but right now I think I would look at a Walther PPQ

Maybe a FN FNX?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The Grand Power K100 or P1 is fully ambidextrious without having to do anything.  The DA/SA trigger is Excellent.  Has 4 different backstraps to fit pretty much everyone.  The rotating barrel design is very unique and interesting.

K100 Mk12

P1 Mk12

You can look at all the different models HERE

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
M&P's are lefty friendly.  They have an ambi slide release and you can switch the mag release if you want.  I've just learned to work it with my middle finger.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
OKnativeson... I've been shooting USPSA since 1982, and was a classroom science teacher since 1981...one of the labs I did with students was to time a tennis ball drop off the known height football stadium, to determine gravitational acceleration, terminal velocity,and introduce kinetic and potential energy problems... early on I encountered a problem that the one dropping the ball from the top, and the timers at the bottom could  not get a coordinated drop and stop watch start... so I modified the lab to first drop meter sticks in the classroom, with thumb and forefinger poised to catch the meter stick... this was done with and without a warning... (3,2,1,drop) and they could calculate backwards from the distance the stick fell in centimeters to determine the time of the fall, and their with and without warning reaction times.... I had been working with the Timothy Gallwey, "The Inner Game of Tennis" for myself, and started recording the readings...there was a direct correlation between the reaction times, eye dominance, and the better student athletes.... a student's mother (psychologist) suggested the interlaced fingers test which produced an intermediary time reference... I did this for about 25 years... the results were as stated, though there was some overlap...my class was introductory chemistry and physics and those with a left thumb on top, typically did not like to do sequential steps to solve a problem, which came back to bite them in the rear when  we got to Stoichiometric calculations in chemistry... I worked with all my student athletes in sports visualization
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OKnativeson... I've been shooting USPSA since 1982, and was a classroom science teacher since 1981...one of the labs I did with students was to time a tennis ball drop off the known height football stadium, to determine gravitational acceleration, terminal velocity,and introduce kinetic and potential energy problems... early on I encountered a problem that the one dropping the ball from the top, and the timers at the bottom could  not get a coordinated drop and stop watch start... so I modified the lab to first drop meter sticks in the classroom, with thumb and forefinger poised to catch the meter stick... this was done with and without a warning... (3,2,1,drop) and they could calculate backwards from the distance the stick fell in centimeters to determine the time of the fall, and their with and without warning reaction times.... I had been working with the Timothy Gallwey, "The Inner Game of Tennis" for myself, and started recording the readings...there was a direct correlation between the reaction times, eye dominance, and the better student athletes.... a student's mother (psychologist) suggested the interlaced fingers test which produced an intermediary time reference... I did this for about 25 years... the results were as stated, though there was some overlap...my class was introductory chemistry and physics and those with a left thumb on top, typically did not like to do sequential steps to solve a problem, which came back to bite them in the rear when  we got to Stoichiometric calculations in chemistry... I worked with all my student athletes in sports visualization
View Quote

that's interesting. I have always wondered about the Left/Right speed functions. ( mainly for baseball) but always wondered about draw times with pistols too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
no..

now, I am looking for pistols that are Left Handed friendly- with controls. Ambi Safeties and possibly reversible mag releases?

his Sig 225 is his baby.
View Quote

I myself am Right Handed and Left Eye Dominant.  When shooting a handgun this is really a non-issue.  For shooting a rifle or shotgun I find that I have to shoot Left Handed in order to achieve a proper sight picture.  
There are several firearms out there that lend themselves quite well to Left Handed shooters.  The HK P2000 series, 1911 w/ambi-safeties, S&W M&P's, Glock Gen4, FNX, Beretta and Sig also allow for the switching of mag releases as well to accommodate a left handed shooter.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I myself am Right Handed and Left Eye Dominant.  When shooting a handgun this is really a non-issue.  For shooting a rifle or shotgun I find that I have to shoot Left Handed in order to achieve a proper sight picture.  
There are several firearms out there that lend themselves quite well to Left Handed shooters.  The HK P2000 series, 1911 w/ambi-safeties, S&W M&P's, Glock Gen4, FNX, Beretta and Sig also allow for the switching of mag releases as well to accommodate a left handed shooter.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no..

his Sig 225 is his baby.

I assume you draw left handed?
thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
No, I carry and draw with my right hand.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

thanks for the info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
no..

his Sig 225 is his baby.

thanks for the info.

I actually draw and carry right handed.
You are welcome!
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

for years I have thought my boy was Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant. today we spent a couple of serious hours at the range. his Pistol and Rifle shooting improved dramatically shooting left handed.

View Quote

FNS/FNX?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm also Right handed, Left eye dominant.

For handguns should not make a difference as just shifting and inch or two will change which eye sight is lined up with.  Sometimes I will turn my head slightly to the right to get my Left eye more in the midline.

For rifles, I've never understood shooting lefty since I shoot with one eye closed and only use my right eye.  Visual DOMINENCE has nothing to do with ACUITY (how well you see out of that eye).  I see just as well out of my right eye as I do my left.

Shotguns would matter if shooting both eyes open (would make sense to shoot lefty).
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#19]
It is not uncommon for people who can not close one eye lid and keep the other open.  I have this problem, I can not close my dominate eye lid and keep my non dominate eye lid open.  My PD required Officers to shoot long guns week handed so I had to place a handkerchief behind my right lense to keep my dominate eye closed.  My B.I.L. Had this problem plus being cross dominate.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

FNS-9 and FNS-9c

HKs
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It is not uncommon for people who can not close one eye lid and keep the other open.  I have this problem, I can not close my dominate eye lid and keep my non dominate eye lid open.  My PD required Officers to shoot long guns week handed so I had to place a handkerchief behind my right lense to keep my dominate eye closed.  My B.I.L. Had this problem plus being cross dominate.
View Quote

That would make sense for rifle.

For pistol the only reason to get a lefty model is if you are fumbling with controls with non-dominant hand.
For the OP, think about grip on pistol.  Your off hand (left for most of us) is still held with the heel of your hand against the left side of the grip.  Going from right to left strong hand won't physically move the pistol to the left (closer to dominant eye) the only thing it does is change the fingers that are wrapped around the front and controlling the trigger.  Point being I would really recommend against getting him a left handed handgun as it won't help at all with sight picture and will only make control operation less intuitive.

For rifle I can see it being a preference thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#22]
RH/left eye here. I shoot pistols right handed and just turn my head a shade to use my left eye, no problems shooting both eyes open. Long guns are shot left handed. I shot long guns right handed for years and finally made the switch, "weak side" drills are a cake walk for me. Transitioning from long gun to pistol is super easy too as I can easily maintain control of the rifle since I still have a firing grip.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm left handed and have been able to use pretty much anything successfully.  The grips on Sigs are annoying because they're shaped for right handed shooters, but other than that, no big deal.  Use the left index finger to drop magazines.  For the slide, either reach underneath with the right middle finger and hit the slide stop (much more natural than it sounds) or slingshot/powerstroke.  My 1911s and USPs always had ambi safeties installed, though on the USP you can decock and shoot it DA/SA without using the safety as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top