Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 8:33:02 PM EDT
Glock is like new in case , gen 3

Older pre lock 4" smith and Wesson model 19 , 357 mag - faint turn ring and some muzzle wear from spending time in holster - but otherwise decent shape and in perfect working order

I have the Glock , somebody has offered me the revolver as a trade . I really like the Glock , but kinda want a 4" .357

??
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of a hard decision to make.... But if it was me, and the S&W 19 is in decent shape, I would do it...

But I've always wanted a nice S&W 19.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Glock is like new in case , gen 3

Older pre lock 4" smith and Wesson model 19 , 357 mag - faint turn ring and some muzzle wear from spending time in holster - but otherwise decent shape and in perfect working order

I have the Glock , somebody has offered me the revolver as a trade . I really like the Glock , but kinda want a 4" .357

??
View Quote
I wouldn't screw a friend like that.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd trade any Glock for a pre-lock K-Frame, even though I already have a safe full of them. Glocks are everywhere and they don't make real S&W revolvers anymore. MIM parts and locks don't exist on real revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Glocks are everywhere and they don't make real S&W revolvers anymore. MIM parts and locks don't exist on real revolvers.
View Quote

^^^^

I'd trade my S&W Model 19 for a Glock 19.... x2.  (That's coming from a Glock guy)
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Model 19.  Way more than a Glock 19.  But they serve completely different purposes. And I'm totally biased towards revolvers right now.

If I was you, I'd do it if it's not beat to heck.  A 4" Model 19 is something that is just extraordinary.  Well, I have a 6" but I would've preferred a 4".  But even the 6" is something that is extraordinary.  A 4" just even moreso.

But the caveat is a good Glock 19 even though are a dime a dozen, is a very good gun.  If this was your only gun, I'd say it might not be the best move.  Although a really motivated person can carry a 4" model 19.  Holsters are not easy to find though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
While the S&W model 19 is a nice gun, if you shoot mostly full power loads the gun will wear out much faster than the L frames and the other models/brands which are slightly stronger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Any time you can get a S&W for a Glock....... Just do it
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
YES!
go for the wheel gun
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Some time in the mid 90's I traded a snub nose Smith 19 revolver in towards a gen 2 glock 19.
The old guy at the hardware store said something like "son that ain't right" but it had 3-4 hi cap mags and I wanted a wonder nine to CCW.
I WOULD TRADE IT BACK IN A HEARTBEAT if I could. I still have the G19 but wish I would have kept the older smith.
They just don't make them like they used to. Get the smith and Wesson
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, I would make the trade.

Dave N
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Make the trade.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I would make the trade, I can normally find Glocks walking around with owners at gun shows for 400-450 used.  Most older S&W's go for the same going rate, but they aren't as common as most of us who own them have a tendency to keep them.

Only other thing I would bring up in the trade is see if it's his only 357 and if it is, does he have any 357 or 38 ammo he will give up with the gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#13]
If the Smith has it's original wood grips the trade is very much in your favor.  If it has rubber houges then it is slightly in your favor.

Either way, I'd make the trade.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I would do the trade as I love shooting .357 magnum but it is much more expensive to shoot than a 9mm pistol.  You might want to take in account that fact about the difference in ammo prices between the two platforms.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd do it in a heart beat.

G19's are a dime a dozen, and will never really command a premium in our lifetime.

Pre-lock smiths are a more desirable firearm, and will rise in value or at least match inflation (for the most part)
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The G19 is the perfect handgun IMO...

...and I'd trade for the S&W in this case.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I am both a Glock guy and a revolver guy . Apples and oranges but reguardless of what kind of shooting you do jump on the revolver fast.

If you look around you are going to find the 19 priced considerably higher and while most any shop will have both new and used Glocks available
You will burn a couple of weekends and several tanks of gas to find a good used S&W at a reasonable price.

There are quite a few S&W guns out there but most guys are holding them and for every guy out there with one there are several guys who have told him they will buy if he ever wants to sell. Good S&W guns have gotten so rare in the marketplace that many of them get stupid high price tags put on them . Some will sit a while but usually somebody comes by with the attitude " yeah that is a higher price than I really wanted to pay but I am sick of searching so here is my money" Most any shop has some used Glocks so the price is about the same wherever you go

Even if one didn't want a S&W 19 it could be grabbed up and flipped for profit.

Short version : Get the revolver
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Pull the grips on the S&W and make sure the serial number matches the frame SN#. Replacement/incorrect grips will devalue the revolver if you ever sell it.

It is a model 19-4?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Who cares about the grips; prelock 19's will never be made again; I'd have already done it. Plenty more Glocks out there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
If you like to collect old stuff, go for it.

If you like to own and shoot the most practical stuff, keep the Glock.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

C'mon, a model 19 is very practical.  Just maybe not in the way you are thinking.  It would be a way better hunting handgun than a Glock 19.  Yes, a G19 is the better gun for carrying and self defense, but this is not the only "practical" reason to have a gun.   Learning how to shoot a double action revolver well will only help your trigger control with autos.  Well, I think so.  

If I say that a revolver is good enough for home defense it'll start a war, so I don't really want to go there.  But my comments above are pertinent enough.  You are entitled to your opinion but I think you're reaching on this one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd make the trade. Glock, you can get anytime; S&W prelock, not so often.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd do it.
You can shoot, Wadcutters, 38s 38+Ps and occasional 357s
Winner
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:28:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Would do it in a heartbeat.  Glock guy myself but have an affinity of S&W revolvers.  Besides as others have posted, Glock 19's are everywhere and it is getting harder to find pre-lock S&W revolvers at a decent deal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Pre-lock S&W in good condition?

Yeah, I'd do the trade.

Take it with a grain of salt, since I traded a used P226 Navy model for a NIB Gen 4 G27 and a box of Hydra shocks.

I lost monetarily on the deal, but I hated the Sig, and love the Glock, and carry it often. Amount of use the gun gets with me alone makes up for the bad deal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I would make that trade every time, if I ever owned a Glock. The 4inch Model 19 is one of, if not the best combat revolver of all time. I am still looking for the right M19, combination of condition and price, so I can add one to my S&W collection.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#28]
That's a tempting deal. Sounds like a good trade.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I echo the sentiment to do eeeeet
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:11:54 PM EDT
[#30]
You can always get another glock prelock smiths are getting scarce.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Get the revolver.  Then get yourself an FDE G19.  Win/WIn.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

C'mon, a model 19 is very practical.  Just maybe not in the way you are thinking.  It would be a way better hunting handgun than a Glock 19.  Yes, a G19 is the better gun for carrying and self defense, but this is not the only "practical" reason to have a gun.   Learning how to shoot a double action revolver well will only help your trigger control with autos.  Well, I think so.  

If I say that a revolver is good enough for home defense it'll start a war, so I don't really want to go there.  But my comments above are pertinent enough.  You are entitled to your opinion but I think you're reaching on this one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hunting with a handgun in and of itself is not practical, so that's a moot point.  Might as well bow hunt.  Or walk to work.

A model 19 S&W is a fine gun.  I had a 19-7.  Liked it.  It was big, heavy, liked to rust and wasn't practical for the things a handgun are used for.  Would I use one for SD/HD?  Absolutely.  I can shoot a double action like a boss.  Would I trade off a reliable Glock 19 for one?  Not a chance.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh I would.  Get the S&W 19 and enjoy it.  They're well made.   I have a 19-4, I like it better than my Python.  

You can go out and buy another Glock tomorrow if you wanted to replace it.  I won't say the model 19's are rare, they're just not passing through the market in good shape at cheap prices anymore.  There is a decidedly obvious premium on a good condition pre lock Smith right now.  In 5 years that could change.  Markets are funny things sometimes.   Right now there is a run on good bluing and older craftsmanship, around here that means S&W revolvers, Browning shotguns, and older model 70 winchesters still holding their fanbase.  The new stuff just lacks the polish of old stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Smith > Glock

I own both. I'd make the trade before he changes his mind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Hunting with a handgun in and of itself is not practical, so that's a moot point.  Might as well bow hunt.  Or walk to work.

A model 19 S&W is a fine gun.  I had a 19-7.  Liked it.  It was big, heavy, liked to rust and wasn't practical for the things a handgun are used for.  Would I use one for SD/HD?  Absolutely.  I can shoot a double action like a boss.  Would I trade off a reliable Glock 19 for one?  Not a chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will sound argumentative and I'm not meaning to.  As I said you are entitled to your opinion. But  I would like to point out that parts of our state are shotgun / handgun only for deer season.  I think some states are completely that way.  I suppose you probably know that.   Well whatever, to each his own.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#36]
If I was in your shoes I'll make the trade without pause.

CD
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's just a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 18 or 19 deer I've popped with my .454 would disagree with you. A 260 grain XTP will shred them internally just about as good as a decent caliber rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd buy a new glock for that trade. They are still making glocks by the truckload.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Do it, now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:52:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The 18 or 19 deer I've popped with my .454 would disagree with you. A 260 grain XTP will shred them internally just about as good as a decent caliber rifle.
View Quote

No doubt it'll do it.  It's just not as easy to shoot, and not as easy to get in range.
I shot a hog while leaning out the window of my truck, at about 265 yards the other day with 5.56.  That's practical because it's easy to get within 265 yards of a hog or a deer.

I don't hunt.  I either slay or harvest.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Jump right on that deal.  do it now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#43]
When you want to finger f..k your gun, G19s are no fun. Revolvers just want to have fun. Do it!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#44]
This one is a no brainer and you would definitely be getting the better end of the deal. His S&W 19 is worth at least $200 more then your G19 and the Smith is going to continue increasing in value.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#45]
OP, that's a trade I would make... and I don't own a Glock (and don't like them) and I also don't own a revolver.

Check the revolver model # by the crane on the inside of the frame and see what type it is... Model 19- something or just model 19?

If you're feeling generous, you can probably give your buddy some $$ in addition to the Glock if it makes you feel better. Or don't. It's your deal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When you want to finger f..k your gun, G19s are no fun. Revolvers just want to have fun. Do it!
View Quote

That's goddamn right.(In my best Morgan Freeman voice.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#47]
It's like he's giving you money. Is the 19 hot, or otherwise compromised?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I would make the trade.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm a S&W (revolver) & Glock guy.
Now, I am partial to stainless pre-lock Smith revolvers, but if that Mod 19 checks out (no cracks in the forcing cone), then I make the trade in a heartbeat. As soon as you are able to, I'd go out and buy another G19.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#50]
You have to ask?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top