Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2015 7:40:50 PM EDT
Update:  bought M&P full size .40 pics below.

I am looking for input on how you like this gun.  My wife and I are looking for something that may fit her hands better.  I have a Springfield XD 9MM and a Glock 26 in 9MM, but they just feel too thick in her hands.  she has shot my 1911 as well, but I am not confident on her grip with it.  She can shoot it and not bad I might add, but I would feel better with something she can get more of a solid purchase on.

How do you like the M&P line, and how do you like the interchangeable grip backstraps?  We have a bodyguard 380 that we both really disliked the trigger on in actual range use.  I would prefer something with a better trigger pull, knock down and overall reliability.  The bodyguard failed 2 times in the same box of ammo.  Seemed to be light strikes, but it flat out failed to fire twice.  I really want her to have something more reliable.

My Glocks (flamesuit on) go bang every time, my Springfield has gone bang every time and my 1911 has gone bang every time.

Would like your input on how you like the Smith for a good carry gun, and would you bet your life on it?

Thanks!

Pics
Family photo... XD 9MM, Para 1911 .45, Bodyguard .380, M&P .40
Light cleaning and oiling

By itself

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a FS 9 and a 9c, and I think they have one of the best ergonomics in a pistol. I also have tiny girl hands and with the small backstop I can get an excellent grip on the pistols. My wife has shot both and likes the way they fit and feel more than the G19 I bought her.

I have put at least 5,000 rounds through my full-size and other than bad reloads, have had no reliability issues even with my less than stellar cleaning schedule. I recently got my 9c so I've only put about a couple hundred through it but it has not let me down either. I carried my FS everyday for the last 3 years with a TLR in a RCS phantom and had no problems, I really like that setup and have no doubts it would perform if I actually needed it.

If its for both of you and you both might end up carrying it, the 9c would probably work better of the two. (Depending on you and your wife's size) I have been carrying the 9c with an extra 17rd mag since I got it in January and it carries pretty nicely. I might end up with a Shield just to round out the line-up.

In my experience and opinion, the M&p line is good to go, and my FS has become my favorite pistol I own.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It's one gun that I picked up and said "I have to have one of these." It just felt right!

I've owned an M&P 40 pro, an M&P 9 and a 9mm Shield.  They've run great - I think I had one or two malfunctions with the 40, but they may have been somewhat caused by my technique (I've learned a little since then).  I really liked the Apex DCAEK and RAM for the full size 9mm (it's a little earlier of a gun).  I put an SCK in the Shield, but I didn't notice much difference, so I think S&W has been improving their trigger design over the years. The guns point quite naturally for me as well - I've been tempted to buy a Glock just to have one, but i haven't been able to bring myself to that, yet.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I *love* the interchangeable back straps on the M&P 9FS. The small sized back strap fits my small hands just right. It's the only full size I can comfortably handle. A Glock 26, which someone at the range let me shoot a few weeks back, is very blocky and way too thick for my hands.

My EDC is a 9mm Shield, so I'm already familiar with how the M&P line pistols operate. Good ergonomics, take down to clean is the same, etc. They are very reliable pistols. They eat any and all ammo.

Other women who've tried Glocks say they like my 9FS much better.

ETA: I will say the trigger reset on my 9FS is mushy, not crisp like my Shield. I'm going to get the Apex Duty kit installed on it soon.

My 9FS has about 1500 rounds through it (I took the Massad Ayoob MAG-20 live fire portion class with it two weeks after I got it and did pretty well on the qualification at the end of the class, which was 500 rounds). My Shield has more than 2000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my M&P 9. I have close to 2000 rounds through it now without a single malfunction. I've fired everything from mildly loaded hand loads to +P defensive rounds through it, and its happy to cycle them all without complaining.

In stock form, I am not a fan of the trigger. It's gritty and too heavy for my liking. I has the Apex duty trigger installed and it's a lot better. Trigger pull is very smooth and it breaks at right around 5.5 lbs vs 6.5lbs. Though if I were to do it over again, I'd have went with the Apex AEK Tactical kit with the aluminum trigger which takes it down to 3lbs. In fact, I may do it over again anyway. I do hear the grittiness of the stock trigger does smooth out over time, but I didn't keep it on there long enough to test that theory.

For me, the ergonomics are some of the best on any gun I've handled and the interchangeable palm swells are a nice bonus. I find myself switching between the small and medium ones, can't figure out which one I like better.

Another thing I like about it is that I think it's an aesthetically pleasing gun. This is obviously personal preference and some people don't even care about looks but I think it's one of the more attractive looking guns compared to much of it's competition.

The finish on it looks very nice, but isn't very durable. Mine is getting some minor holster wear in a couple areas.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  These are the kind of real world reviews I need.  My wife will likely be the primary, but depending on erogonomics, I may steal it from time to time.  ;)

Please keep them coming!

-- Damon
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My full size 40 and 9 c have become my go to guns , even over a 1911 . I find I do my best shooting with them. I have small hands and find the grip fits me better thanks any other gun I have shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a FS, Compact and Shield all in 40 S&W.  Shield is EDC because it's so convienent, fits easily and I feel comfortable with 7 rounds of 40.  I use the FS for 3 Gun, have probably 3000 rounds through it with not one malfunction of any kind.  The Compact and Shield around 300 or 400 each again with no issues.  Did do the Apex DCAEK on both the FS and Compact.  Worth every penny.  I find even the Shield with Golden Saber or Critical Defense ammo very controllable and very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  I am hoping to take my wife to the gun store later this week to look at and hold a few of the M&P line.

Really appreciate the input and experiences!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife didn't like my M&P9FS as much as the Glock 19 she now uses. But my sister in law liked it better than anything else she tried to the point she bought it from me. The small backstrap seemed to fit well and she liked the trigger.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife liked her G26 but switched to a 42 for smaller size.  

If she likes the M&P would look at the Shield if it is mainly for her.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Our last trip to the range my wife stole my FS40 from me!

Said she enjoyed it! She ended up shooting it all day long with no complaints. No she doesn't have man hands but does have hand strength of a farm girl.

I would recommend your wife to all three, the FS, compact, and shield.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our last trip to the range my wife stole my FS40 from me!

Said she enjoyed it! She ended up shooting it all day long with no complaints. No she doesn't have man hands but does have hand strength of a farm girl.

I would recommend your wife to all three, the FS, compact, and shield.

View Quote

Will do.  My wife grew up in the country riding horses and hanging on to the reigns, so she has hand strength also.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife likes her 9C. She has shot a lot of pistols. The 9C just felt right in her hands, and since she had trained on a 1911 the safety being ambi for her lefty is a plus.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I own a full size 9.  As well as most of the other stuff; Glock, Beretta, SIG, etc.

I like it.  I use the small backstrap.  Mine is a fairly early gun, 2008 I think.  Been completely reliable, decently accurate.  I run it completely stock; no trigger kits.  The whole faint reset controversy is a mystery to me.  The trigger is what it is; I don't think its any worse or any better than a Glock.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#16]
You might say we like the platform in our household
EDC - M&P9c
Nightstand - M&P9L
Pocket carry - Bodyguard
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am looking for input on how you like this gun.  My wife and I are looking for something that may fit her hands better.  I have a Springfield XD 9MM and a Glock 26 in 9MM, but they just feel too thick in her hands.  she has shot my 1911 as well, but I am not confident on her grip with it.  She can shoot it and not bad I might add, but I would feel better with something she can get more of a solid purchase on.

How do you like the M&P line, and how do you like the interchangeable grip backstraps?  We have a bodyguard 380 that we both really disliked the trigger on in actual range use.  I would prefer something with a better trigger pull, knock down and overall reliability.  The bodyguard failed 2 times in the same box of ammo.  Seemed to be light strikes, but it flat out failed to fire twice.  I really want her to have something more reliable.

My Glocks (flamesuit on) go bang every time, my Springfield has gone bang every time and my 1911 has gone bang every time.

Would like your input on how you like the Smith for a good carry gun, and would you bet your life on it?

Thanks!
View Quote

Never go under 9mm.....

as a woman shooter, I carry a shield9 during the summer because it makes it easier to conceal when wearing more fitting clothes.  glock 27 in the winter.

I am about to send the shield to the performance shop to have them lighten the trigger pull, because it does suck.  I have since stopped carrying it until it gets done.  with the they way I shoot with the MP, I wont bet my life on it.  I prefer the trigger on the glock and so I shoot it much better.  i'll update when I get my shield back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks again everyone that has responded.  I am hoping we can hold a few different models this coming weekend to see what she likes best.  She used to hand me mine back to me upside down by the trigger guard, then she saw the bodyguard and liked it.  But it is hard for her and myself to shoot well.  

She is really coming around.  I already built her an AR for when she is ready, so she is coming around.  Its all baby steps.  She prefers knives, so when we get her proficient, she will already have a knife and hopefully her CHL to carry a handgun of her choice.

I think in today's world it is important for everyone to be able to defend themselves appropriately.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 9mm Shield and an M&P 9C (as well as a G19 and 26) and can vouch for those two Smiths being good guns.  I use the Smiths for range toys and carry the Glocks.  You can't go wrong with any of those guns that I mentioned.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
M&P really did something when they came out.  They made a gun that not only performs very well but also fit a wide variety of hands extremely well.  When I got my M&P40 I was amazed how good it felt.  Then I switched out the backstrap to one that felt even better!! Now other gun manufacturers are being forced to compete which is a plus for all of us.  I HIGHLY recommend the M&P, try and find one she handle and change out the backstrap and hopefully, shoot.  I suspect she'll love it.

My apologies for the shameless pic barrage .  I've since color filled the emblem at the bottom of the grip and magazines.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I took my wife to the range with my two FS M&Ps (9MM and .40 S&W) and my XDM 3.8" 9MM.

She really fell in love with the XDM and shot it way better than the two M&Ps.  She calls it, her "little pistol".  She got excited enough at how well it felt/shot that she went out and got her concealed carry permit all on her own.

I had lots of reliability problems with my M&Ps and even though I think I finally got them fixed I no longer carry or shoot them.  Sear flutter and timing issues were the problem.  The 9MM was more accurate than the .40 S&W gun but not knowing if they were going to go bang or not made them unacceptable for carry.  Hope you have better luck out of yours.

Oh, before you go buy a gun, check out the CZ P07.  That compact gun carries 15 or 16 rounds of 9MM in the magazine with one in the chamber.  The older guns came with 16 round magazines and the newer ones with 15 rounds.  You can still get the 16 round magazines for them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
My MP9 has been dead nuts reliable. Not a single failure in well over 1000 rounds now. Also more accurate than I am able to be. Points very naturally and fits my hand super well. The on It hasn't been stock since day 1 as I sent it off almost immediately to Salient Arms for their tier 1 fire control group with flat faced trigger and frame workup. Super accurate also with the 3rd revision barrel mine shipped with. I've also added 10-8 .140 notch blacked out rear and .110 fiber front sights and love the setup. I carry every day in an HSP/G-code Incog Eclipse or Raven Vanguard during the warmer months or a Raven Phantom LC with my X300 Ultra those few months out of the year I can wear some extra clothing.

I like the setup so much I actually got an M&P compact also and sent it off to Salient Arms for their Tier 2 treatment (no holes in the slide) withe Tier 1 fire control group and match fit barrel. Should be getting it back in a month or so and will be a little more comfortable as a daily carry. I plan to sent the full size off to Salient again for Tier 2 and RMR install eventually also.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Took my wife out to shoot my M&P 9 fs. Well, needless to say, I had to go buy another M&P. She likes it better than her G19, says it points better and the grip fits her hand much better. First thing I did was install an Aepx hard sear and Bowie Tactical night sights. About as reliable as you can get too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
After handling and shooting numerous different firearms (glocks, SIGs, et. al.) my fiancee chose the M&P9c. While I'm primarily a SIG guy she has a very reliable firearm and I think it fits what you are looking for - fits her hands, good trigger, good reliability, and better knockdown power than the .380. Id bet my life on it if I had to grab it before my SIGs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:06:39 AM EDT
[#25]
My primary carry gun (9FS) has a touch over 20,000 rounds through it now. I liked it so much I got a pro series 5", a VTAC, a 9c, the 22, and I now have a Shield.

If I could I'd carry my 9FS on duty over my 4566TSW.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My primary carry gun (9FS) has a touch over 20,000 rounds through it now. I liked it so much I got a pro series 5", a VTAC, a 9c, the 22, and I now have a Shield.

View Quote

Wow, that's a lot of rounds. What kind of maintenance have you done to it and at what intervals?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a FS 9 and a 9c, and I think they have one of the best ergonomics in a pistol. I also have tiny girl hands and with the small backstop I can get an excellent grip on the pistols. My wife has shot both and likes the way they fit and feel more than the G19 I bought her.

I have put at least 5,000 rounds through my full-size and other than bad reloads, have had no reliability issues even with my less than stellar cleaning schedule. I recently got my 9c so I've only put about a couple hundred through it but it has not let me down either. I carried my FS everyday for the last 3 years with a TLR in a RCS phantom and had no problems, I really like that setup and have no doubts it would perform if I actually needed it.

If its for both of you and you both might end up carrying it, the 9c would probably work better of the two. (Depending on you and your wife's size) I have been carrying the 9c with an extra 17rd mag since I got it in January and it carries pretty nicely. I might end up with a Shield just to round out the line-up.

In my experience and opinion, the M&p line is good to go, and my FS has become my favorite pistol I own.
View Quote

Swap my x300 ultra for your TLR and our experiences with the M&P9FS are nearly identical, down to the RCS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wow, that's a lot of rounds. What kind of maintenance have you done to it and at what intervals?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recoil spring at approx 10k and 17k, trigger return spring at approx 17k.

I clean it occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Excellent!

We are going this weekend to have her hold a few.  I am leaning towards her getting a M&P 9C or a Shield.  But it will depend on what fits her hand best and what she likes the most as it will be her gun.  (Mostly - LOL).

I never tried the M&P Series personally, but the more I have read and looked at them, I really like them.  

Thanks again everyone for the replies!  It has been very helpful.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]

I bought a new 9 fullsize in January of 2011, with an October testfire date. I was primarily a 1911 shooter, so I ordered the one with a thumb safety.

I also started reloading around the same time. Even with the lowest start loads (at one point, I was at 3.5 grains of powder when the book called for a minimum of 4.5), the thing functioned. Even towards the top of the load data, the pistol functioned beautifully. The goofy shaped Berry's, square shouldered hollow points I was using took some adjusting to find the right seating depth at the reloading bench, but never caused an issue on the range. It is the one pistol, along with my old carry gun (a massaged Springfield GI 1911), that I cannot remember failing me. I was such a 1911 guy that I never could convince myself to carry the M&P very long, though. It'd serve for a month in the summer while I'm working outside sweating my ass off, sometimes I'd decided to carry it in the winter for a little better penetration from the 9mm, shit like that.

I will say it's the one gun I couldn't decide what size I wanted it to be. I've got big hands, so I loved the large backstrap, but come winter time, with gloves, I needed more room to work the gun, so I'd swap on the medium or small one. I actually ended up liking the small backstrap more. My hand envelopes the pistol better, feels like I have better control, and gives me a little more room to do what I need to do, be it accessing the mag release in an odd position, or hitting the slide release with my strong hand instead of my support hand.

I like it, but have personally transitioned to a Gen4 G21. My M&P has never been very accurate and that has taken some of the fun out of shooting it. I need to contact Smith to see if they can do anything for me. I know they've revised the barrel a couple times since my pistol was built, so maybe one of the newer styles would lock up better for better accuracy.

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's one gun that I picked up and said "I have to have one of these." It just felt right!
View Quote

Yeah, I can relate to that.

I trust the Shield, and I'd recommend one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I love it.  Wouldn't even look at a glock.  If she has small hands the small backstrap will work best.  Or get the shield, but personally the capacity isn't enough for me to want the shield until I have disposable money (never).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#33]
If you told me I had to live with either a M&P9 or a G19 I wouldn't loose any sleep
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife has been rocking a M&P 9 FS for 3 years now, she loves it! She shot everything I had and only really liked the Beretta 92, but disliked the weight. Then she held an M&P and it was over and done with, no worries there!
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got a full size pro

And a shield

I could not be happier with either one, great pistols

The shield with the extended magazine feels outstanding in the hand and carries very well
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a huge M&P fan boy. I've got a FS9, compact 9, and a FS45. My girlfriend chose a glock 19. I don't think it's going to work out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm a huge M&P fan boy. I've got a FS9, compact 9, and a FS45. My girlfriend chose a glock 19. I don't think it's going to work out.
View Quote

Relationships have ended for far lesser reasons friend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Read the initial post,but not all the replies.

I also have the Springfield XD's, and the M&P 9, and have owned the Glock 26 (not anymore) now it's just the 19 size.

Of all three of them, the XD is probably the smallest feeling grip, but the M&P has a "softer" feel to the grip than the other two.  Can you take her to a range that has rentals and let her shoot an M&P 9 before you make the decision to move away from something you already have?

You might just want to send the XD off for some grip work, you'd be surprised what some custom stippling and shaping can do.  I had my Glock done this way and it makes a world of difference to everyone who holds it or shoots it.

As far as trusting any of the three, I've carried a Glock for over 8 years on and off duty, and now carry an XD for over 5 years total.  I haven't carried the M&P often, but haven't had any issue with it at the range and wouldn't hesitate to carry it, but it does have an APEX trigger in it from the previous owner.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Great replies and input everyone.

My first gun was a Glock 21.  Go big or stay home was my motto.  Ate everything I have fed it.  Two failures, probably my fault not the gun.  Shoots great, love it.  But my 1911 is hard to beat.  My wife actually was more comfortable than I expected shooting my 1911 because it has Recover railed grips on it for my TLR1.  That light is now on my XD 9MM.

Can't wait until the weekend to go gun shopping.  Really looking forward to holding some M&P hardware. Really torn between the Shield or 9C, or even the 40.

;)
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Update... Looked at both Shields, 9C, 40C and 9 and 40 full size.  Left with the full size 40.  Now to hit up Apex, get 9mm mags and 9mm barrel and have two guns basically. She really loved the Ambi slide release for her hands.  

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow.  Will post pics later.

Edit, pics page 1
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:06:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Excellent choice congrats!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Excellent choice congrats!
View Quote

I've got a relatively early production model M&P .40 that I carried for 8 years and put just over 10,000 rounds through.

It carries and conceals great in a horsehide Super Tuck.

It's on its 3rd recoil spring/guide rod assembly and second trigger spring and I still have the original 1st generation striker in it but I bought the latest stainless model for a spare since the 1st generation strikers are MIM and are known to be problematic.

I'm meticulous about maintenance, cleaning and lubrication and the pistol has been extarordinarilly reliable in return. (I lube this particular gun with Breakfree LP exclusively)

It's a soft shooting and extremely reliable pistol I'm sure you will enjoy yours as well.

Good luck with it.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Range report...

Bodyguard .380 still not a joy to shoot, but not as bad as last time. Wife didn't shoot this one.
Springfield XD 9mm - both shot it, I did more than she did, but she did well.  This was only her second time shooting.
Glock 26 9mm - both shot it.  I did better with it this time than any before.  Need more practice as this is to be my CCW rig.
M&P 40 - both shot it.  I did better with it.  Liked the trigger for what it is.  First 40 forme.  She did well and had no fear on shooting it.  Stepped up and went for it.
Para 1911 45 - I changed the grips on this and she liked it best and shot it better an the rest.  Several bullseyes and closer groups.  

With the help of the range officer, he gave her a couple of tips that I took for granted and immediately her groups tightened up and she did well.  It is funny that she seems to prefer my 1911 and I prefer the 40 for a daily carry, but very proud of my wife! Got Her a pink range bag, electronic hearing protection and pink glasses.  She used her gear and did very well for her first real shooting trip.  Her skills are already getting better and she is stepping up to try new guns and just go for it!

For the M&P, I love ths gun. Close second to my 1911.  In accuracy for me.  Ran great, no failures on any gun today.  Took the M&P out of the box, lubbed it with Wilson Combat lube gun oil (I use this on all my guns and rifles alike), ran like a champ!

Very pleased and very proud of my wife,

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

-- Damon (A12)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top