Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/12/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
Thinking of getting a 9mm pistol in the next few months.  Been building ARs recently and just realized I only have one handgun that I bought 6 years ago and its a POS.

Requirements:

-No more than 600-650 bucks pretax on just the weapon itself

-DA/SA or maybe even DAO.... maybe

-Full size

-Option for aftermarket threaded barrel for a future Octane or Osprey

-Acc. rail

-Good ergonomics, don't want a gun that feels like im holding a small pineapple

-Most importantly.... either a great factory trigger in terms of reset and travel... or an aftermarket trigger group that does just this

-The SA pull on the trigger should be 4-5 lb

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

I've read great things about the P226 and while its outside of my price range if people think I should save and wait I will do just that...

Edit - So I bought a CZ SP-01 Tactical... thanks everyone who recommended I look at CZ line of pistols.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
CZ P09.  

I'd suggest a P01 but it isn't quite a full size.

You may find an SP01 in your price range.  It's a full size and fits all your criteria, I think.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CZ P09.  

You may find an SP01 in your price range.  It's a full size and fits all your criteria, I think.
View Quote

This, or I would even lean towards the p07.  It may be smaller than the p09, but it does everything the p09 does and has the option for cheaper mags.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
CZ variant of your choice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This, or I would even lean towards the p07.  It may be smaller than the p09, but it does everything the p09 does and has the option for cheaper mags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CZ P09.  

I believe that there are even factory options to get the P07 with a threaded barrel.
http://www.gunniesonline.com/product.cz-p0-7-duty-9mm-38-161-synthetic-grips-black-finish-66
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow quite alot of CZ love....

Underrated brand?  Just realized the P09 has a 19+1 capacity... good god....

It seems everywhere I go people always talk about glocks and sigs.....

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely have to check out the CZ counter at my local gun shop.

Anyone know if you can get threaded barrels for the P09?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Underrated brand?

Thanks for the tips, I will definitely have to check out the CZ counter at my local gun shop.
View Quote

CZ's have always had a cult following (especially with competition shooters).  Over the past few years they have really started to come into the mainstream aspect of the shooting community.  

A Glock 17/19 would also be a good choice, but they are striker fired.  Sigs make excellent guns as well and they can come with threaded barrels from the factory.  They are a little bit more expensive though.  

I actually prefer the metal CZ's (they have a steel frame instead of alloy like the CZ's, but do to the dimensions of the gun they weight about as much as Sigs as the same size; hell my carry gun is a 75 compact) but I don't even know if they make threaded barrels for them like they do for their polymer guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Answer is always Glock.  In this case G19.  Just do it.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

http://czcustom.com/czp09dutythreaded9mm.aspx

There aren't a lot of quality DA/SA guns out there that fit your needs in that price range.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
These are good guns well inside your budget.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18805/s/sig-sauer-p2022-9mm-with-night-sights/

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ is definitely what you are looking for, I would highly recommend the P09 which meets every requirement on your list.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

These are good guns well inside your budget.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18805/s/sig-sauer-p2022-9mm-with-night-sights/

View Quote
This is a good choice too.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll make you happy if you act quickly:

PSA daily deal SP2022 $350

It's pretty much full sized, great DA/SA trigger. Often called the poor mans P226, but simply a great pistol in its own right. Only thing I don't know about is threaded barrel availability. I'm sure somewhere.

ETA:  I gotta type faster. Lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

In what world is a Glock DA/SA?

Quoted:

Well, as Daytona955i said there are not alot of DA/SA guns that fit to your list, or maybe you meant DA or SA?
But basically, you described CZs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Just looking at the CZ P-09 today myself.  Looks like it meets all of your requirements. There is a fairly good article in the latest issue of Recoil on the P-07 and P-09.  It looks like I need to pick one of these up in the near future to keep my CZ85 company.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:44:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The factory threaded barrel 17/19 are great options.

NOT DA/SA but great option.  Just not a lot of TDA guns out there any more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for the CZ P07/P09. Love my P07
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock 17 or a CZ of some sort.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out the SIG P320.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Except it doesn't fall within the parameters he stated.  So it's not always the answer.  And I own 5 of them.  

OP, I'm a firm believer in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" principle.  I believe that if you want the Sig, you should just save a get the Sig.  That said, here's a few quality options within the parameters you set.  

DAO in your price range:

Walther PPX SD 9mm - $299.99 with threaded barrel
http://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-ppx-m1-sd-9mm-threaded-barrel.html#.VLR08WctHIU
DAO with an amazing trigger that feels very much like a SA trigger.  Trijicon makes sights for these and CDNN has factory mags for $19.99 ea.  

Sig P250 Compact 9mm - $399.99 with threaded barrel
http://www.cdnnsports.com/250-9-cmpt-4-63-dao-n-s-thrd.html#.VLR1tmctHIU
Fully modular design that allows you to change the size of the firearm extremely easy.  The compact is the size of a Glock 19 and has a full-size capacity of 15rds, so don't let the name fool you.  The trigger in the later versions is much better than when they were first brought to market.  This one comes with night sights.  CDNN has factory mags for $29.99 ea.  

DA/SA in your price range:

Beretta 92A1 9mm - $648.00 and the factory barrel can be threaded extremely easy
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_52/products_id/62204/Beretta+J9A9F10+92A1+17%2B1+9mm+4.9%22
My personal favorite.  Trijicon makes sights for these and Mec-Gar makes awesome flush fit 18rd mags or extended 20rd mags that I can't recommend enough.  Swap out the main spring and the DA pull is lightened.  SA pull is already GTG.  

Sig SP2022 9mm - $560.19 with threaded barrel
http://www.impactguns.com/sig-sauer-sp2022-9mm-39in-threaded-barrel-siglite-night-sights-black-nitron-finish-15-round-mag.aspx
Traditional Sig ergos in a polymer frame with night sights included.  

FN FNX-9 9mm - $499.99 and EFK Firedragon sells threaded barrels for $225.00
https://www.preppergunshop.com/index.php/fnx-9-pistol-9mm-4in-17rd-stainless-night-sights.html
Trigger is great out of the box in both DA and SA.  Gun comes with Trijicon night sights and 3 mags from the factory.  Polymer frame and stainless slide combo should make it impervious to most wear from the elements.  

CZ P-09 9mm - $514.00 with threaded barrel
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_82/products_id/91641/CZ-USA+91640+P-09+Supressor+Ready+19%2B1+9mm+5.2%22
What more can I say about this one that hasn't already been said?

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Sig P226.  Might pick a police turn in for less but there's a reason the Seals like it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Cz or a sig p320
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check out the SIG P320.
View Quote

Everyone chooses what they use.  So i choose this one too!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Read the OP, your answer is wrong.

Sounds like a CZ will fit the bill perfectly
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there selective listening going on here, or are we trying to stir things up?

Read the OP, it say's DA/SA only so no strikers. Deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

"maybe even DOA"

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

"maybe even DOA"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"maybe even DOA"

-No more than 600-650 bucks pretax on just the weapon itself

-DA/SA or maybe even DAO.... maybe

-Full size

-Option for aftermarket threaded barrel for a future Octane or Osprey

-Acc. rail

-Good ergonomics, don't want a gun that feels like im holding a small pineapple

-Most importantly.... either a great factory trigger in terms of reset and travel... or an aftermarket trigger group that does just this

-The SA pull on the trigger should be 4-5 lb

You should read more.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#29]
FNX
HK P30
PX4 (I don't think a threaded barrel will really be an option though)
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#30]
CZ SP-01 may be a tick over budget but worth it

Looking at GB I saw them right at the $650 mark
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#31]
CZ. All day, every day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or a G17
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Snap out of it OP, you want an HK VP9.

/thread
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Neither of these. OP asks for a DA/SA and a full size gun and the G19 is neither of these. What is it about Glock owners that put a gun that's every bit of average, on such a high pedestal?

Anyway, back on topic... my first instinct was to suggest a P226, but a new one would be out of your price range, so my next suggestion would be the CZ SP01
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I am nixing the accessory rail and option for threaded barrel from my list as I won't be using this for HD.  My .300 AR suppressed pistol with subsonics should work just fine and save my hearing.

Looking at CZs almost endless line of pistols I am thinking of the 75B.  Or maybe the version with a decocker.

Anyone here own or shot a 75?  Thoughts?

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the replies.  I am nixing the accessory rail and option for threaded barrel from my list as I won't be using this for HD.  My .300 AR suppressed pistol with subsonics should work just fine and save my hearing.

Looking at CZs almost endless line of pistols I am thinking of the 75B.  Or maybe the version with a decocker.

View Quote

The standard 75b ' s don't have the best triggers. I'd get one from cajun gun works, because for a little more you can have it tuned nicely. Better yet, get an sp-01 from them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are nixing the rail then look here. Used Sig 226 for $478 shipped.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/99978/p226used/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-police-trade-in-pistols

I bought a new XDm from this establishment and had zero issues. They are G2G. Keep in mind you might get one with a shitty finish that needs coating. Then again you might get a gorgeous one. One thing for sure. It's a Sig and Sig service is very good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Many people who think they know what they want list neat requirements and then are clearly unwilling to spend the required funds for a high grade whatever.  In many cases, this OP included, they provide information that they are a casual or occasional pistol shooter.  That information often disqualifies their requirements experience wise.  Buying a POS gun six years ago sort of puts a fellow into that group.

Ordinarily, I would just say that a Glock 19 is the best there is for the casual beginner 9mm shooter.  Control-less as a pistol gets, safe, reasonably accurate, and you do not have to figure out why they do not work. But accurately shootable with little effort.  A very good all around pistol.  But in the interest of fun and letting Mr. GSL declare me a rabid fan boy, nothwithstanding liking to shoot any thing that goes bang, I will try the requirements:

Requirements:  Answer:  Glock 17 full size standard pistol or Glock 19 intermediate size pistol.  Individual responses same below.  

-No more than 600-650 bucks pretax on just the weapon itself:  $500-530 careful shopping

-DA/SA or maybe even DAO.... maybe:  Functionally a DAO

-Full size:  The 17 is.  The 19 is big enough

-Option for aftermarket threaded barrel for a future Octane or Osprey; They make suppressor barrels for them

-Acc. rail: Tru'dat on either Gen3 or Gen4.  The Gen4 allows different "feels" with the backstrap changes.

-Good ergonomics, don't want a gun that feels like im holding a small pineapple: That feeling keeps a gun from slipping.  Try shooting an oily 1911 with sweaty hands and no front strap checkering

-Most importantly.... either a great factory trigger in terms of reset and travel... or an aftermarket trigger group that does just this:Outstanding reset without having to buy an Apex trigger for a S&W M&P.  Oh, by the way, your trigger kit for an M&P is a third of your budget installed.

-The SA pull on the trigger should be 4-5 lb:  DAO 5-5.5# after 1000 rounds fired

As a practical matter, for a casual shooter, there are lots of choices that work well allowing you to fight your way back to the AR15 you should have never set down in the first place.  The real question is how you like this or that in your hand firing AND how soon that seemingly neat purchase wears out, starts to choke, rusts, or you decide it is another POS.  A Glock is simply a Glock.  A hammer for nails.  Take it out and you can trust it to work.  Except on the internet of course or a 42.  The 17 and 19 are the most dependable handguns on earth.  You will wear out a revolver before you choke one of them that every worked after leaving the factory assuming you do proper maintenance with both systems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#39]
You want a used sig P226 or a beretta 92fs /m9
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

CZ-75 doesn't have many / any options for a threaded barrel as far as I know.  It is a wonderful gun though.   All steel where the more expensive sigs and berettas have aluminum frames.  Best ergos on the market.  But generally not a suppressor host.  Sp-01 can be a suppressor host but barrels are rare.  The plastic CZ (P07/P09) are threaded but they are not the equal of the other guns we are discussing by a lot IMO.

I'm assuming you budgeted a threaded barrel into the $650, so I'm trying to get you into the gun for $450-$475 plus $175-$200 for the threaded barrel.   The beretta is good and may not even require a recoil booster due to the semi-fixed barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#41]
If you can budge on your price point, I would have to say go SIG p226 mk25.

If you can't budge on your price point, I'd have to throw in with the CZ group. I like the all steel CZs, except for daily carry the weight can become a burden compared to lighter guns. But sounds like you are looking for more of a range gun anyway.

If you are not opposed to striker fired guns, I think you owe it to yourself to try the HK VP9, Glock 17 or 19, FNS9, and M&P. While all are "basically" the same gun in that they are polymer framed, striker fired pistols. Their ergonomics are pretty different. You say you want "good ergos", but for the most part that is going to be subjective.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Glockaholics don't take NO for an answer do they.

Please refrain from using terms like this in the future in this technical forum - Maynard

Noted.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Glockaholics don't take NO for an answer do they.
View Quote

How does this contribute to this discussion? Who said "No"? To make sure I looked back that the OP and every post from the OP in this thread and he never once said "no striker fired guns" or "No Glocks." He in fact said, "Maybe DAO" which for all intents and purposes to me includes most striker fired guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#44]
You perfectly described a Sig 2022.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
It shoots like a laser if you do your part. Internal rail, sights are dead on, and the ergonomic's are excellent. It has a very good balance too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It shoots like a laser if you do your part. Internal rail, sights are dead on, and the ergonomic's are excellent. It has a very good balance too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it is a hard gun not to like.

My 75B compact is a safety version. No decocker so if you want it on DA, you have to manually, let the hammer down slowly, I don't really feel good about doing that in my house, but on the occasions I have carried it, I do so cocked and locked. It is pretty much a non-issue for me.

This thread needs more pics.

And this is one of the few guns, I can honestly say has never had malfunction for me. Granted it doesn't have the round count that some of my other pistols have, but it does have north of 2,000 rounds through it without failing me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My 75B compact is a safety version. No decocker so if you want it on DA, you have to manually, let the hammer down slowly, I don't really feel good about doing that in my house, but on the occasions I have carried it, I do so cocked and locked. It is pretty much a non-issue for me.

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/BlaineBritt/media/temporary_zpsa2c19eb6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag160/BlaineBritt/temporary_zpsa2c19eb6.jpg</a>

And this is one of the few guns, I can honestly say has never had malfunction for me. Granted it doesn't have the round count that some of my other pistols have, but it does have north of 2,000 rounds through it without failing me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/BlaineBritt/media/temporary_zpsa2c19eb6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag160/BlaineBritt/temporary_zpsa2c19eb6.jpg</a>

I have the CZ75B. I have had one malfunction, but I caused it on purpose to see if I actually could get it to fail which was hard. This gun is unstoppable, every round goes bang.

I'd love to get an HP and compare. I have the safety version too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suggested the CZ 75 SP01 earlier simply for the fact that it has a rail you wanted. Ultimately, I prefer the vanilla CZ 75 without the rail. I think it looks a lot nicer and I like the weight/balance a whole lot better without the rail.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Walther P99

/thread
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you are not opposed to striker fired guns, I think you owe it to yourself to try the HK VP9, Glock 17 or 19, FNS9, and M&P. While all are "basically" the same gun in that they are polymer framed, striker fired pistols. Their ergonomics are pretty different. You say you want "good ergos", but for the most part that is going to be subjective.
View Quote

Add the Sig P320 to this list, as well. It and the VP9 are both very impressive striker-fired pistols.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top