Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2015 9:49:51 PM EDT
Most of my shooting is Drawing from holster and shooting steel targets quickly.....Im not a bullseye shooter or paper shooter for that matter....Im much more into fast acquisition of my target whether it be a 6-12" steel plate, or steel silhouette....However, accurate shots and groups -to an extent- are important to me....

Im not a fan of the stock sights on my VP9......today they really hurt me, (overhead light behind me totally glared them out) I think serrations would have really helped out today...

Anyway, Ive never used a Fiber Optic front sight before....Ive always been afraid they'd be too fragile....Ive had a pair of Warren Tactical sights on a glock before (black on black and really enjoyed those)

Does anyone really see that much of an improvement with a FO front sight over Black front? (with black rear)

Going to go Dawson Precision with my VP9.....and PPQ for that matter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is a big improvement for speed. At close targets I don't see the rear or front blades, I aim with only the dot. At long range targets the dot helps you know the sight is in the rear notch before focusing on the notch and post. I don't even notice the dot when when making the last final bits of adjustment aiming at long range targets.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Front sights are kind of personal, IMO. Some people think the brass bead is better, or just plain black, etc.

I prefer fiber optic. Even if they fall out, they are still useful until you can get another fiber rod in it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
yes, FO sights are very bright.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I put the Dawson's on my PPQ and like them in day. Can't see them in the dark.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:24:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on how dirty your ammo is, a fiber optic can get to the point that it's no better than a cheap dot in short order. For indoor ranges with poor lighting, they need to be wiped off so you can see them.

Outdoors on a nice sunny day, they're great.

I really like Wilson's rear u-notch (they call it a battle sight) with a fiber optic front. trijicon makes a similar rear sight and if/when I do decide to replace the glow in the dark paint on my HK, it'll have the trijicon u-notch with the dots blacked out and a proper front night sight. I really like the setup on my Wilson - much quicker finding the front sight when you're looking for contrast vs getting 3 dots to line up
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does anyone really see that much of an improvement with a FO front sight over Black front?
View Quote

Yes.

And good choice on Dawsons; that's what I use on all my competition guns.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Just purchased and installed a Hiviz FO front sight on my G17... I like it a lot so far. very easy to pick up.  need to hit the range when the weather warms up a bit to try it out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't prefer Fiber Optics for carry, but if you're target shooting Dawson Precision Fiber Optics all the way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer plain black sights for day time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have shot plain black sights for years on my competition guns. In the last few years I have switched them all over to a green fiber optic front sight. It is faster for me.

Note: I did research until I found a fiber optic front that had a square top profile that I could see. This gives me the ability to be precise when I slow down or let the green glow guide me for quicker shots.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the Warren tactical plain back or straight 8 style back with a precision tritium dot front.

In light you can see the silverish color bounce up and down on fast shots but also can aim it well at distance.

In night you get a nice 2 dot system.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I am unable to see the front sight anymore (at least with clarity) so the FO at least allows me to see a green fuzzy blob if I am not wearing my vision corrected shooting glasses.  For games like USPSA or 3Gun I feel they allow you to acquire the scoring zone much faster, to "see enough of what you need to see" (paraphrasing Brian Enos).
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Does anyone really see that much of an improvement with a FO front sight over Black front? (with black rear)

View Quote

YES!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to gold dots. I can really tell the difference. Never have liked the FO sight. My JM 625 came with a gold dot. I am switching all my 1911's over to them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:39:25 AM EDT
[#15]
None of my fiber optic front sights have broken yet after being put in dump buckets through tge last 3 seasons.

And yes, I like the black rear with the FO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top