Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 2:47:04 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new handgun for CCW. I carry a GLOCK G19 as of now and I really like the gun. I shoot it well and I like that it is easy to break down and clean. I have owned the gun for about 7-8 years now and I feel it is time to change it up a bit. I may go with another G19 but I'm doubting I do. I just kind of want to have something different.

So with that being said, I am looking for something close to the G19 in size. I know at least one of the guns I have in mind I either have to go compact (I hate compact models) or the full size. The list of what I have been looking at I will list below. Please add other guns I should be looking at. I like a double stack handgun.

My price range is $299 - $550.

The list as of right now -

Smith & Wession M&P 9mm (full size)

Canik TP9

Canik 55 Stingray

Canik 55 Shark

Walther PPS

Walther PPQ

Sig P320

Sig P250

Sig P2022

CZ P01

CZ P07

CZ P09 Duty

EAA Witness

So far these are what I have looked at due to the price. Some are not only due to the price but the long standing name and design. So tell me what others would you recommend and if you have experience with any of the handguns listed above please share. My price range is again is $299 - $550.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
How many on this list have you held in hand to see how well they fit? If you have a bunch that you're interested in, I'd try and find a store that carries the greatest variety so that you can handle as many as possible which should allow you to eliminate ones that don't work based on hand fit/comfort. Then look at capacity, weight, price, reliability reports, renting at a range to shoot the remaining options.

But since you asked for opinions - I have a boring one. If the g19 has been reliable, conceals comfortably, you like it and you shoot it well, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to change it. It probably would make more sense to allocate that money for training/ammo. I warned you it would be boring. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd just keep carrying the Glock. I've had a wandering eye for my CCW before but I always end up asking "What will this do better than my Glock?" The answer ends up being "Nothing" so I don't end up wasting time and money. That's just me and I'm in the minority with that mentality so YMMV.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had the chance to hold most of the guns I have mentioned. The S&W M&P is the one that really fits my hand good. I should have bought it at the time. It was priced at $325.00. I have a 1911 that I sometimes carry and the M&P reminds me of that gun. The GLOCK works great for me but I was kind of wanting another gun to replace one that I have sold. I want a different option for daily carry while leaving one gun home for a home defense gun. I may go with another GLOCK as I know the system well. I do kind of want o spice things up a bit but here locally the G19 and M&P 9mm are the same price. I may just go with another G19.

I'm good on ammo right now and I'm getting ready to do another buy.

Keep the info coming.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new handgun for CCW. I carry a GLOCK G19 as of now and I really like the gun. I shoot it well and I like that it is easy to break down and clean. I have owned the gun for about 7-8 years now and I feel it is time to change it up a bit. I may go with another G19 but I'm doubting I do. I just kind of want to have something different.

View Quote

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a G26 to go with your 19.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I have thought about the compact but I just do not like compact guns. I shoot them well but I don't like the way they feel in my hand. I'm sure I will go with another G19. The G19 I have now is in OD and I would go with an all black GLOCK. But that dang S&W M&P is calling my name that is for sure.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
G26, with 19 mag rocks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a g19 gen 4.

If you must go different, try an HK VP9.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The PPQ and PPS  are excellent, and the H&K VP 9 also......those are by far the best on the list, and then CZ and Sig next....I carry the PPS and own the PPQ and H&K, Sig,CZ, shot the rest except EAA.  Careful, if you try the PPQ or H&K VP9 your Glock will become a safe queen.....all my other pistols did.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The PPQ and PPS  are excellent, and the H&K VP 9 also......those are by far the best on the list, and then CZ and Sig next....I carry the PPS and own the PPQ and H&K, Sig,CZ, shot the rest except EAA.  Careful, if you try the PPQ or H&K VP9 your Glock will become a safe queen.....all my other pistols did.
View Quote

Yeah I have been looking at the PPS and PPQ a lot. I have been watching videos and reading on them as well.

What is it about them that you like over a GLOCK?

What are the advantages of the PPQ over the PPS?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:33:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Out of those, I'd go with the M&P or PPQ M2.   The M&P's grip frame is a bit longer but you get 17 rounds vs 15.   There are 17 rounders available for the PPQ but you add about 1/2" worth of basepad.  

There will be more sight and holster options for the M&P.   Some may say you need Apex parts for the M&P but I have done a lot of the Burwell DIY trigger jobs for the M&Ps and find that's all I ever needed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#13]

The PPS is a purpose built CCW pistol that is a single stack, very thin and a maximum capacity of 9 rounds with the longest mag. Mags for the PPS come in 6,7 and 8 rounds while the PPQ is a double stack which allows for higher capacity magazines.

The PPS shoots well for a pistol that also carries as well as it does. The PPS trigger is comparable to a Glock trigger if not slightly better in stock form.

+1 on the PPS, and it shoots (recoil) like a much larger gun, allowing all day at range with no fatigue. 1 of the things i feel is critical for carrying, willingness to put in practice/training/range time with your carry piece and seems to be lacking with most  known friends and assoc that carry, and that I rarely hear promoted from others on boards that carry.....

The PPQ and VP9 fit me far better (thus better grip and control) than any others pistol Ibe used, best natural point of aim (for me) and triggers, ease and accuracy of follow up shots, and as much as I disliked the lever release at first (because of previous training with button release systems) I came to realize that the lever release is a better system and took little real effort to retrain to it.....also all controls can be manipulated without changing my grip or losing sight picture....

I originally was trained on Sigs, and also have experience with CZs, (and which i think are very good as well as Glocks and some others) but I am no fanboy (or basher) of any make or brand, they are just tools.....and I just want to find/use the most durable, reliable and accurate tools I can within reason price wise, to conduct my trade.....so to speak......also I don't let availability of mags or accessories dictate the foundation of what I use (which seems to be too common a condition in choosing), in this day and age you can find anything if you really want to.....but this is all just my opinion about what works for me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The PPS is a purpose built CCW pistol that is a single stack, very thin and a maximum capacity of 9 rounds with the longest mag. Mags for the PPS come in 6,7 and 8 rounds while the PPQ is a double stack which allows for higher capacity magazines.

The PPS shoots well for a pistol that also carries as well as it does. The PPS trigger is comparable to a Glock trigger if not slightly better in stock form.

+1 on the PPS, and it shoots (recoil) like a much larger gun, allowing all day at range with no fatigue. 1 of the things i feel is critical for carrying, willingness to put in practice/training/range time with your carry piece and seems to be lacking with most  known friends and assoc that carry, and that I rarely hear promoted from others on boards that carry.....

The PPQ and VP9 fit me far better (thus better grip and control) than any others pistol Ibe used, best natural point of aim (for me) and triggers, ease and accuracy of follow up shots, and as much as I disliked the lever release at first (because of previous training with button release systems) I came to realize that the lever release is a better system and took little real effort to retrain to it.....also all controls can be manipulated without changing my grip or losing sight picture....

I originally was trained on Sigs, and also have experience with CZs, (and which i think are very good as well as Glocks and some others) but I am no fanboy (or basher) of any make or brand, they are just tools.....and I just want to find/use the most durable, reliable and accurate tools I can within reason price wise, to conduct my trade.....so to speak......also I don't let availability of mags or accessories dictate the foundation of what I use (which seems to be too common a condition in choosing), in this day and age you can find anything if you really want to.....but this is all just my opinion about what works for me.
View Quote

I like a double stack for conceal carry. I'm not against not carrying a thinner gun with less rounds. Its not my first choice but I would gravitate more to the double stacked guns. I will check the PPQ out more.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Doesn't everyone need a good snubby?  

442/642  ?

How about a G17 for winter?  Then you can use the mags in your 19 if you want.  

And then there is the 3" K frame option.

And then one I would love to have, a fullsize 9mm 1911.

And yeah, if all the reports aren't hype, it seems like its hard to discount the VP9.   Or the Walther for that matter.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#16]
It sounds like you're competent with your G19 and I see no reason to switch.  If you're looking for a nice upgrade, just have your weapon worked over by ATEi or any other reputable machinist.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Out of your list, I have a M&P full size and a Walther PPS. Both are excellent quality, reliable, accurate and are supported in the accessories world. I have had both for 4-5 years. The PPS has been flawless. The M&P has also been a very good pistol, but it did need some trigger work. Out of those two, I would suggest the PPS for a carry gun. It is smaller, lighter and slightly better made.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks everyone and keep the info coming. I'm going to make my purchase next month right after Christmas. I Just saw a video on the new generation of GLOCKs can anyone tell me if the mag release sticks out further than older gens? I like how it is on my GLOCK its not flush and it does not stick way out. That is one of the reason I also like the M&P.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#19]
If you're happy with your G19, don't change.  I sold my first G19 and regretted it almost immediately.

That said, if you just want something new to play with, the M&P 9 is the one I'd choose from your list.  Put some Apex goodies in it, and you'll have one of the nicest triggers out there in a striker fired gun.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you're happy with your G19, don't change.  I sold my first G19 and regretted it almost immediately.

That said, if you just want something new to play with, the M&P 9 is the one I'd choose from your list.  Put some Apex goodies in it, and you'll have one of the nicest triggers out there in a striker fired gun.
View Quote

Yeah I'm not getting rid of my G19. I have come close to it but I'm not going to. I like the gun a lot. I just want another gun that I can carry to change things up and to also leave for home defense. I'm replacing a gun that I sold so I just want something new. I may end up going with another G19.

I have done some reading on the Apex and I think you can get them already installed on the M&P guns. Not sure need to double check that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top