Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2014 3:28:57 AM EDT
I've got one that I like, did a thread about it awhile ago. Just wondering if many of y'all have some the same thing and tried one for cheap and what you think about it.

Just wish they'd put a rail on the 9mm, considering trying a .45 as well
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 5:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Really?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one , it's fun and suprisingly acurate.

ETA: I didn't notice the forum this was in ( handgun) , mines nt a handgun it's the 9mm carbine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't own one, but want to. Made in america. Enough said.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So are my COlts, my Smiths, even my Beretta and Walthers are...
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't personally own one, but I know quite a few people who keep them as truck and/or boat guns. If they get beat to hell or (hopefully never) stolen, it's only $150 for another one.

Personally I feel there are better options for not much more money for the role of a truck gun or boat gun, but I understand that some people have limited budgets too. That's something a lot of people tend to overlook. While many of us don't think twice about a $500-$1,000 pistol or whatever, to some people that's just out of what they can afford.

My bit of experience with Hi Points seems to be that they are just here and there with reliability. Some people report shooting the hell out of them with no problems and some people have issues out the ass from day one with them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
No, no thank you..........
I will not buy a "cheap quality gun".
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Pickup box gun:  Police trade near NIB Glock 22/.40S&W.

L.L.Bean:  "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

Bubba:  "Life is to damn short to shoot an ugly gun."
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Not I; nope, nope, nope....
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I own a 9mm handgun hi-point, c9 or whatever the hell they are called.

I actually enjoy shooting it, its seen around 500ish rounds in the last 9 months with no issue.

Not saying id go buy a new one and rely on it to defend myself but for a cheap range gun I like it, paid $80 for a used one with 100 rounds of ammo.

Whenever I take one of my "fancy' 9mm handguns out, the hi-point tags along.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Wouldn't be caught dead with one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Cost money I would rather spend elsewhere.  I would never shoot it either and just another type of mag to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cost money I would rather spend elsewhere.  I would never shoot it either and just another type of mag to add to the collection.
View Quote

This, although for $80 or so I'd probably buy one.
LGS has them for $169
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Really?
View Quote

I used to manage a large retail gun store in Las Vegas.  I sold several Hi-Point rifles and pistols to guys who owned stuff like DTA rifles, Nighthawk 1911s, Benelli shotguns, NFA full-auto, etc.  

Vegas is a vacation destination.  On top of that, all of us can name people we know who aren't gun people and who don't enjoy shooting.  It seems as though everyone who lives in Vegas will have someone they know come to town on vacation and the vacationers assume their local friend will play host and tour guide at some point during the trip.  Many people want to experience shooting a gun for the first time or at least the first time in a long time.  If they know their local friend is a gun guy, they will impose.  There's an expectation to be able to go shoot stuff in the desert.  

Hi-Points are great for their price point, their lifetime warranty, and their ability to not allow someone to grow any sentimental attachment to it.  I always recommended these guys with expensive collections have a beater rifle and pistol in their safe as well for the times they needed to let someone blast a few rounds.  People who aren't gun people aren't going to recognize the investment of time and money you put into the good things in your collection, and as such, they likely aren't going to put a lot of effort into protecting your investment.  You can pull your good stuff out for a true gun guy, but for the uninitiated who don't give a shit what they shoot as long as they can just shoot, the Hi-Point works well.  The Hi-Point will shoot lead, brass, steel, or anything else you decide to put in it.  Accuracy isn't critical for the occasional times it gets drug out, so the Hi-Point meets those needs as well.  If something gets broken on the range trip, a quick call to Hi-Point gets it fixed so there's no further out-of-pocket expense for something you don't care about.  Sure, any quality firearm purchased used at a great price could fill this void, but the Hi-Point is a buy-once, cry-once kind of deal in that it doesn't require any further involvement aside from cleaning, lubing, and feeding it ammo.  

It's not for everyone, but there are quite a few people I know personally with fairly impressive collections who own Hi-Points.  They have their place.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
The only cheap ass firearm I own is a WASR 10. And when I mean cheap, I go it for $150.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have some $99 SKSs
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Really?
View Quote

yup, really. Can't see the confusion here. Everybody likes reliable right?

Mine's my garage gun, I'm still trying to figure out a good way to put a rail on it. Then I'll get another one or two and leave them in certain areas that I like to keep weapons.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pickup box gun:  Police trade near NIB Glock 22/.40S&W.

L.L.Bean:  "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

Bubba:  "Life is to damn short to shoot an ugly gun."
View Quote

that my good man is why you buy cheap and good quality in hi-point.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't have one and never will.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Not interested.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Never owned a Hi-Point but I have purchased some economy made guns. I have usually ended up regretting not saving-up an additional couple hundred dollars and buying something better.

When I had my boat, I kept an old "police trade-in" S&W5906 on-board. It was cheap enough when I bought it that I didn't worry about water, salt or pirate blood damaging it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#22]
My uncle gave me a .40 caliber pistol once.

I forgot what it was called, looks just like a hipoint but with a different name. Likely it is whatever hipoint was before hipoint.

Never have shot that thing
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I forgot what it was called, looks just like a hipoint but with a different name. Likely it is whatever hipoint was before hipoint.

View Quote

Lorcin? Raven?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lorcin? Raven?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lorcin? Raven?

Stallard?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a C9 pistol in addition to the usual suspects from Colt, S&W, Walther, etc. along with some fancy long guns. The Hi-Point is an almost every range trip firearm, in the approximately 4 years and countless rounds of just about any 9mm I have never had a problem. People seem to confuse inexpensive with cheap. American made, lifetime warranty, and reliable, what's not to like?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Not now, not ever.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Negative.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Life is too short to own cheap, ugly, thug trow down guns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jennings

Bryco
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#30]
We have different ideas on what a cheap gun is. My cheapest gun is a 3rd Gen Glock 17.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#31]
No, just no.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I have zero interest in their pistols, but I must admit that I would buy one of the carbines if I found one cheap enough. It just seems like a fun range gun that anyone could shoot and beat up without costing a fortune.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I have some. Am running some tests on how well the .45's hold up. Got the 9mm on an impulse after seeing nutnfancy's YouTube video. Linkage to nutnfancy's video on the C9

But when I go through 'The Badlands' on the way to the hospital(why are hospitals always in the shittest part of town?) for my second job, I have my G22 with me. When I start back with IDPA, it is going to be with a Glock. When I get going and dive into USPSA, it will be with a Glock. When I go out on the walking path around the neighborhood, I load up the .45. When I go to the range, I'll take an HiPoint along with my Glock. Notice a trend?

The C9 does have magazine issues. First, load it with 5 rounds and let it set for a couple of weeks. If that fails then having to disassemble the mag and polish the follower & body which is not acceptable to me. Then the black magic of tweaking magazine lips. That sucks.  This is regrettable since this 10% of magazines gives their entire line a bad rep. HiPoint really needs to change the 9mm up to use a common magazine such as from S&W, Sig, or someone; that, or tighten up their QA/QC so that shitty mags aren't getting out. It would be best if they changed it to a double stack magazine when they do. An 8 shot pistol the size of a G19 && weighs more just isn't logical to me.  I changed the magazine catch on the .45's so that they now use 1911 pattern mags.

If a Hi-Point is all you can afford for self defence, go for it. Get the larger .45 or .40 version so that you avoid the magazine BS. If you get the 9mm version, make sure that you do the load & wait trick before going to the range. Then if you have any problems, get on the phone and use that life time full warranty to the hilt until it runs right.

My 2¢,
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't but want one for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I owned one for about 2-3 days

Bought a used 'package' of guns a few years ago and a hi-point 45 was part of the deal.

I had honestly never even held one prior to that day. I could tell the moment I saw it upclose and held it I did not want it.

I sold it a couple days later for around $150-200 I think
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Never.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Hell no.  I want my family to live if I have to use a gun. I can spend $50. more and get a used K frame or EAA Witness.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hell no.  I want my family to live if I have to use a gun. I can spend $50. more and get a used K frame or EAA Witness.
View Quote

why would you spend more when the hi points work great?

Seems most who hate them won't shoot them to actually form an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#39]
they don't all work great dude. Thats cool that yours does, but you can get police trade-in 3rd gen smiths and glocks for a little over 300 bucks. do you own an AR? but why? an SKS with an AK mag is reliable and works just fine for so much cheaper?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you work for / own an interest in hi point?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at most of the people knocking them in this thread you'll see that the majority of them have never owned one and many of those that have owned one admit they never even shot it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of, I hate ignorance and people spouting off opinions that don't have any actual info to backup. Same reason I hate TV media.

I can't help but figure if there was internet in my dads age this would be the same conversation they had about those cheap POS Glocks.

There's 3 guns in this picture technically. The one is sort of a lack of editing on my part.... but i take all three 9mms out and shoot hundreds of rounds a piece and get the same number of stoppages with them all. Zero.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
they don't all work great dude. Thats cool that yours does, but you can get police trade-in 3rd gen smiths and glocks for a little over 300 bucks. do you own an AR? but why? an SKS with an AK mag is reliable and works just fine for so much cheaper?
View Quote

I can get a brand new Gen 4 Glock for just under 4. So I bought one.

I do own an AR, 7 of them I think. I also have an SKS and an AK.

Why would I worry about what i can get for double the price of one item? I've yet to come across owners who have a serious issue that wasn't quickly corrected on a lemon gun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I own a firearms training company.  In 10 years we had one High Point make it through the first day of the Inter-Agency course firing 300 rounds during the day.  NONE of them made it through the drills that had several magazine changes.  
I taught a CCW class of elders in which everyone had High Points.  We ended up having everyone qualify with the two that were working consistently.  
I will say this  all of them fired at least 4 rounds before a stoppage.  4 rounds in a defensive position in a home will probably win the night against a single intruder.  They are better than a brick if that is all someone can afford.  One tip, we found that using grease on the rails instead of oil kept the guns running through at least one complete magazine.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#45]
HI Point seems to be the domestic version of the RIA.

Now, I have an RIA, one I actually do trust for SD, though I have modified it some what.  Most of those mods are aesthetic, not critical to SD.

That .38 revolver RIA sells?  Yes, it fills that niche that the Hi Point fills.  Does either one do well?  I don't really know.

I see a market for an inexpensive  SD/HD handgun.  Now, I understand those who say buy quality guns used, and I have even refinished/refurbished a few for those in need.  Not every one had access to a charitable person such as myself, however.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't own one. I have shot one. I don't care for how there is never a wall with the trigger and no palpable or audible reset to the trigger. I don't care for the sights. And the size of the slide makes it a poor option for concealed carry which is what I find the most important use of a handgun.

If I were poor and I could only afford that, I would get it. I would prefer a cheap used revolver in .357 mag or .38 spl if I could find one. If it was dedicated for HD, I would try to find a used Mossberg or 870 12 gauge.

My reasons of why I don't own one are not based on snobbery or brand reputation. If they fit a role for you, I think that is great

And it should be easy to add a rail, get a short rail section and some wood screws and screw it right into the frame, file down any of the screw coming through the other side. If you break the frame, send it back to hi point, they have a life time warranty and will replace it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Jennings

Bryco
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jennings

Bryco

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Never, too damn hideous.  I'd pee away more money on C&R Mosins before I reached for that pot metal brick...
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I would buy a handgun and a carbine if they weren't so heavy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I just laugh at those trying to get more used than they paid for on places like Backpage. I mean seriously, how can you not laugh at some tool trying to sell a $150 that should be a $100 pistol for the same price as some people are selling their barely used Glocks at for $350? Total lulz.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top