Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 8:06:38 PM EDT
I heard a lot of heat about these when they first came out...people say that they were just crappy little guns and not worth trusting your life to.

The thing is, I REALLY like the size of this weapon. I'm a diehard pocket-carry guy, so anything larger than this seems too big.

I currently carry an LCP, but I miss carrying a 9mm.

I understand that DB cautions against +P ammo. That kinda sucks, but I'm okay with it if the pistol will actually run reliably.

I guess I could sum up this post but saying that my two biggest concerns for a carry gun are:
1. Size
2. Reliability

Not really too concerned with how comfy it sits in the hand.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
double tap
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My has been reliable save a few malf. from limp-wristing. (Mostly testing to see if it would malf.)

I don't remember the round-count off the top of my head but I'd say the last 100rnds have been flawless. I've put less then 500 total through it as its not a pleasant range toy.

I'm curious as to how the new gen ones are as they've made numerous improvements.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Only had one issue with my wife's, RSA was poorly designed.
They knew about it, sent a new assembly no questions asked, when it started malfunctioning. Put a few hundred rounds through it afterward without flaw.
It's small, light, has usable sized sights, nearly as accurate as my G17, not nearly as unpleasant to shoot as the specs would lead you to believe.

If it weren't for the major and known design flaw that they didn't bother recalling it for I'd probably highly recommend it. As is I don't. Current generations may be trouble free, there was a DB forum out there where people delighted in identifying all the faults with given serial number ranges.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I carry one as my pocket pistol.  That said, they were released too early.  However Bruce of Pocket Guns and Gear.com came on a $12. buck solution that works.  It is the mag spring on the DB9.  Take it out, take a spring for a PF9 cut two rungs off it and put in the DB magazine.  This baby will now feed all the HST (do not use +P) you can put in it.  I have 6 in the mag and one in the chamber, gun is in a Bianchi pocket holster, spare mag with 6 HSY is in a single mag case in my back pocket.  
I use this as a BUG most of the time with an HK P2K riding strong side IWB.
However when I have to go up to the corner Circle K I put the DB9 in my front pocket as my only gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely love mine. Carry it with Critical Defense 115 gr.

Easy to limp wrist but so is any small pocket pistol, especially one in 9mm.

No issues or problems shoots Wolf, Brown Bear, Winchester, Blazer, etc.

Trigger is smooth and break cleanly and there is a definite reset. Long, but not overly heavy.

Sights are very usable for a pocket pistol and slide is melonited.

I cleaned mine and then hand cycled it 200 times. Took it to the range and shot 100 rds through it of mixed ammo with one FTE from limp wristing one handed with weak hand.

I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The one thing that's really bumming me out about this gun is that is does not shoot (or isn't recommended to shoot) anything heavier than 124 grains.
I'm a big fan of the Hornady Critical Duty, and to my knowledge, they only make it in 135 grain.

That's why I keep going back to looking at the Kahr CM9. The CM9 will handle the 135 grain bullets and even +P is acceptable for them, but I hesitate because of the plastic frame rails and the size being just a tad bit larger than the DB9.

I think I'll probably end trying both eventually, but I can't decide which one to try first.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one thing that's really bumming me out about this gun is that is does not shoot (or isn't recommended to shoot) anything heavier than 124 grains.
I'm a big fan of the Hornady Critical Duty, and to my knowledge, they only make it in 135 grain.

That's why I keep going back to looking at the Kahr CM9. The CM9 will handle the 135 grain bullets and even +P is acceptable for them, but I hesitate because of the plastic frame rails and the size being just a tad bit larger than the DB9.

I think I'll probably end trying both eventually, but I can't decide which one to try first.
View Quote

I mean, it's a pocket pistol. Not only that, but it's one the smallest 9mm pocket pistol there is. (Rohrbaugh R9 is smaller)

You can't really expect it feed every bullet weight and pressure out there, nor can you expect it to go thousands of rounds with out breaking down.

For what it's worth, I have shot a few magazines of Gold Dot 124 gr +P through the DB9. I remember reading somewhere on their own forums that it will handle it, but it would void the warranty.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Noep
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a very early one. Never a problem but i dont shoot it a ton. Polished the feed ramp also.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The CM9's plastic frame rails really don't do much other than aid re-assembly it's not really a wear item. The forward and rear rails are a metal chassis embedded in the frame there are many folks that have thousand upon thousands of rounds with no issues. I'd imagine Kahr would take care of you if you did have an issue.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Diamondback DB9 $250 shipped

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/HG0026.aspx

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
The old ones had their problems, lots of improvements on the gen IIs. There's a pic showing all the upgrades side by side.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I do not have or ever had the 9mm. I did have the DB 380 and even after 2 trips back to the factory it still would not function. Took it back to he store I bought it from they took it back and purchased a different weapon. Over half the DB's sold were returned with problems enough so that they will no longer carry the DB brand. For the small number of units out there a large percentage has issues. For every one you read that functions well two will post that it has been problematic. With so many other options out there I would move onto a weapon with a better track record.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I do not have or ever had the 9mm. I did have the DB 380 and even after 2 trips back to the factory it still would not function. Took it back to he store I bought it from they took it back and purchased a different weapon. Over half the DB's sold were returned with problems enough so that they will no longer carry the DB brand. For the small number of units out there a large percentage has issues. For every one you read that functions well two will post that it has been problematic. With so many other options out there I would move onto a weapon with a better track record.
View Quote

...or just get the gen II
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No offense, but we are not talking about the DB380
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Diamondback DB9 $250 shipped

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/HG0026.aspx

View Quote

I fo'ed....

I guess the lesson here is that I will start a thread on a subject, fret over all the details, weigh all the options, and just generally obsess over the info, but when it comes right down to it, I can be bought for a $50 discounted price.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#17]
even with the gen 2 I'd change out the mag springs on one mag and test it.  Bet it will work like a charm
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
We are not talking about a 380 no kidding. I am talking about the company itself. The 9mm was also problematic. So if you take the total number sold to the ones having to be returned for some sort of repair and you have a poor track record. Kahr Arms has a dismal track record, and I have owned 4 or 5 Kahrs. Mine did not have a problem but many do and they have a bad track record. Glad a few of you got good ones but by the numbers there are many companies with a similar weapon that has a much better reliability rating. He asked for information and that's what I gave him. If he were a personal friend of mine I would steer him to a more reliable gun company, so because you bought one and apparently don't like people being critical of the same gun you purchased to bad. In my area the major gun shops don't carry the brand at all, that tells me something.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, I carry one as my pocket pistol.  That said, they were released too early.  However Bruce of Pocket Guns and Gear.com came on a $12. buck solution that works.  It is the mag spring on the DB9.  Take it out, take a spring for a PF9 cut two rungs off it and put in the DB magazine.  This baby will now feed all the HST (do not use +P) you can put in it.  I have 6 in the mag and one in the chamber, gun is in a Bianchi pocket holster, spare mag with 6 HSY is in a single mag case in my back pocket.  
I use this as a BUG most of the time with an HK P2K riding strong side IWB.
However when I have to go up to the corner Circle K I put the DB9 in my front pocket as my only gun.
View Quote

Tell me more about that spare mag holder you keep in your back pocket, as well as the model name of the Bianchi pocket holster.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Hi, here is the pocket holster with gun.  It is a Galco.  The Bianchi is holding my Sig P290 and my safety seminar instructor has it for her class.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The CM9's plastic frame rails really don't do much other than aid re-assembly it's not really a wear item. The forward and rear rails are a metal chassis embedded in the frame there are many folks that have thousand upon thousands of rounds with no issues. I'd imagine Kahr would take care of you if you did have an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This post nails it. Kahrs have more steel frame to rail contact than a full sized grena........um I mean Glock.
I am a big time Kahr fan.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#23]
My order came in today...I'm pretty sure this thing is going to slide bite my hand like a sonovabitch.

ETA:
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#24]

I love(d) mine.  I put a couple hundred rounds through it with almost no failures but just recently I've been getting FTF on nearly every round.

I haven't started investigating the problem yet but it's probably something simple.

I've found that mine is very picky about ammo, might be the problem.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I love(d) mine.  I put a couple hundred rounds through it with almost no failures but just recently I've been getting FTF on nearly every round.

I haven't started investigating the problem yet but it's probably something simple.

View Quote

Did you do the mag spring upgrade mentioned above? If not, it might be the crappy spring DB uses that is wearing out prematurely.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you do the mag spring upgrade mentioned above? If not, it might be the crappy spring DB uses that is wearing out prematurely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's probably the case, I haven't replaced the spring.

I bought a new toy and kinda forgot about it...I'll get back to it some day.

It's also hell trying to find a (reasonably priced) mag.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I just ordered it from DB directly. Not too pricey compared to some other brands out there (Sig, LOL).

I figure for a 1 time purchase it's okay to spend a little (especially considering the deal I got on the gun).

Does yours slide bite your hand?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I just ordered it from DB directly. Not too pricey compared to some other brands out there (Sig, LOL).

I figure for a 1 time purchase it's okay to spend a little (especially considering the deal I got on the gun).

View Quote

It hasn't yet.

I have big hands but thin.  My dad has big fat hands and I think it got him once.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I get slide bite when I forcefully rack the thing, it rotates some in my hand and shreds my thumb knuckle, shooting it I don't have that problem. Since the recoil spring assembly failed and got replaced with an upgraded one it hasn't required forceful manipulation so I no longer have the problem at all. I could see getting the web of my hand though drawing and firing in a real hurry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I could see getting the web of my hand though drawing and firing in a real hurry.Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That is my concern. I guess I'll find out soon enough when I get it out to the range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine had some initial teething problems, but they disappeared once I got it broken in after a few hundred rounds. Now it runs like a raped ape on Hornady 115 gr. critical defense.

I liked it enough to write an article about it:

http://www.guns.com/review/2014/10/20/diamondback-db9-a-pocket-carry-monster-gun-2/
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Update on the slide bite concern:
I got some sort of black mark on the web of my hand and a very slight amount of abrasion. It is minor enough that I would not call this slide bite.
I most likely would not have noticed it if it weren't for the black mark.
I think the black is from carbon, or possibly whatever they use to coat the slide.
I have pretty meaty hands, and I wasn't taking any extra care to avoid slide bite so I consider this a success (for me) (YMMV).
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting, I do not get slide bite.  I use Ayoob's 'crush' grip with his adage that if you are firing a polymer handgun you are holding tight enough if you can feel polymer running between you fingers.  
You are correct about limp wristing, you will get a ftf quickly.  The slide des not lock back so a double feed can be a bitch to clear.
Accuracy is one of the big surprises, it will fire a 1 inch group at 5 meters with the ammo IT selects.  Mine loves HST not the plus P stuff but I'm fine with that.  
I modified all 3 of my mags with the PF9 spring and all three feed the HST every time.  
This pistol is normally my back-up, my prime gun is what ever agency or department I'm working with at the time.  Most f the time it will b a P2K, Glock 17-19-23, S&W, 1911,or SIG.  I rarely carry a M-9.
I exercise a lot, having had a Heart Attack I don't want another, so I walk, ride a bike, and run 400 meters at a time.  I wear light shorts and the DB is perfect for a belly band.  (I''m rather proud to be able to wear one having dropped 84 lbs)
So in it's place, after you find a grip and know your gun, it's a perfect hideaway. \Oh, I use grease on the slide rails.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Had one, jammed a bunch and made me bleed twice. Sold it within a few weeks. Just couldn't figure out what it had over a j frame that offered less pain and more reliability albeit sans a round or two in capacity. Maybe they're better now but I won't be finding out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I just can't get excited about wheel guns for some reason. I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't either.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't either.

Me 3
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:09:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to throw in my $0.02

I bought one a couple of months ago.  It ran great out of the box, produced very good accuracy.  Then I tried 135 gr. critical duty; it fed and fired fine, right up until it cracked the cam block.  DB sent me two replacements, and I've stuck to 115 gr and 124 gr standard pressure loads since.  A couple hundred rounds later, still running great, no reliability issues.

Having to run lighter loads is just a concession you make to carry the thinnest and lightest 9mm extant.  Even with standard pressure 115 gr. loads, you still have a lot more oomph than the hottest of .380 rounds, in a package that is just barely larger than the smallest .380s.  Well worth $300, IMO

Just couldn't figure out what it had over a j frame that offered less pain and more reliability albeit sans a round or two in capacity.
View Quote

Width.  No matter how stubby and light weight a wheelgun is, there's always going to be a cylinder, and, save for the NAA minis, they're always a lot wider than the .810" max width of the DB9.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I bought one a couple of months ago.  It ran great out of the box, produced very good accuracy.  Then I tried 135 gr. critical duty; it fed and fired fine, right up until it cracked the cam block.  DB sent me two replacements, and I've stuck to 115 gr and 124 gr standard pressure loads since.  A couple hundred rounds later, still running great, no reliability issues.

Having to run lighter loads is just a concession you make to carry the thinnest and lightest 9mm extant.  Even with standard pressure 115 gr. loads, you still have a lot more oomph than the hottest of .380 rounds, in a package that is just barely larger than the smallest .380s.  Well worth $300, IMO

Width.  No matter how stubby and light weight a wheelgun is, there's always going to be a cylinder, and, save for the NAA minis, they're always a lot wider than the .810" max width of the DB9.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just couldn't figure out what it had over a j frame that offered less pain and more reliability albeit sans a round or two in capacity.

Thanks for input. I'm also a big fan of the 135 CD so I've been tempted to carry it that way, but I guess I'll stick to the 124 HST's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
124 HST's will do a number on a turd if you need it to.  If you're close enough to give him one, give him 2.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I love my DB9. I got it used and 3 extra mags at a gun show for about the price of a new gun alone. I figure someone bought it, put a few rounds through it, had some FTF, and replaced it. I had a few problems with the first 150 or so rounds I put through it, but haven't had any issues in the last several hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Slidebite update #2:

After I got some carry ammo for this thing it started biting the hell out of my hand.
I'm using 124 grain HSTs and the slidebite is pretty damn bad now. Bad enough that I think I'll sell it.
It wasn't bad when I shot it with 124 FMJ from Freedom Munitions, but apparently that stuff is underpowered. The full power loading makes a big difference (and I'm still not getting to carry the ammo that I really prefer).

I wish I had bought the CM9 instead.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Slidebite update #2:

After I got some carry ammo for this thing it started biting the hell out of my hand.
I'm using 124 grain HSTs and the slidebite is pretty damn bad now. Bad enough that I think I'll sell it.
It wasn't bad when I shot it with 124 FMJ from Freedom Munitions, but apparently that stuff is underpowered. The full power loading makes a big difference (and I'm still not getting to carry the ammo that I really prefer).

I wish I had bought the CM9 instead.
View Quote

pretty much my experience except jamming alot.

maybe they work great for some people but there's enough good alternatives from proven companies that I wouldn't spend my time or money on it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
No.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top