Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2014 3:46:30 PM EDT
My current carry guns are Glock 33, Glock 27, Kahr MK9, and sometimes a 45cal P14. I will often insert a loaded magazine into the pistol when the slide is mechanically held open, and just use the slide release to slam the top round in the magazine home into the chamber.
Is this ok?........or is it preferred to manually pull the slide back and  just let it go? In using logic, I don't see the harm in using the slide release as I can't see how it is much different then manually releasing the slide by hand......except that I think I've heard it mentioned that it's better to do it maually with some guns. (??)
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Kahr recommends it
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It's designed to be used that way, and most trainers these days will tell you that it is the proper way.  There are still some who cling to the "slingshot" or "power stroke" method.  Neither will damage the gun.  Do whichever works best for you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I do, letting the slide forward gently may not seat the cartridge firmly resulting in a malfunction. Think about how hard it slams forward when you shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Not an issue.

There are 2 ways to properly load a handgun from slide-lock. Slingshot and slide release.

Some people get too wrapped around the axle on the whole slide release issue, claiming that it's a fine motor skill and shouldn't be used (even though pulling the trigger and pressing the mag catch are fine motor skills), or wanting to universally operate any handgun regardless of slide catch configuration. Or pointing towards various firearm companies' terminology for that specific part.

In the end, pulling the slide completely to the rear DOES give more energy to the slide to strip the round from the magazine. However, if the pistol doesn't have the energy to strip a round from the slide catch then you need to fix that gun and I wouldn't accept it not working that way, even if I used the overhand method every time.

Personally, I have a lot of time using the slide catch to drop the slide. It was the required procedure when I was testing for Sig, and it's the absolute best method for shooting an M9/92 Beretta. I carry that over to other firearms I shoot and I find myself more efficient doing it this way.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
my CPL instructor bitched at me for doing it.  I still do and always will.  He was kind of a tacticool poser type of guy though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to stop slide releasing on my walther p22 because it was killing the notch.  I try not to stress any of my other weapons...opting for the sling shot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
As has been stated, neither is harmful to the gun.

I used to train using the slingshot mostly. It is because the action remains constant no matter what condition you're loading from and is the same action used in the "rack" of tap-rack-bang.

But I've changed that and now practice both. It makes one-handed shooting faster and more efficient in my experience when reloading from slide-lock.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]
whatever feels right and you can do under pressure
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course, the technical term is "slide stop," not "slide release."  

I'm a fan of slingshoting, since the standard Glock slide stop is not conducive to flipping it with your thumb.  And I don't like the extended slide stop.

Slide stops on most 1911s, on the other hand, are.

Do whatever floats your boat.  Neither one will hurt the gun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah, i cling to the slingshot and powerstroke philosophy. mostly because it's a slide lock, not slide release. especially with glocks. plus it's a good habit to get into the power stroke because under duress you're gonna fall back on habits. and it's easier to deal with a power stroke than a sling shot since your fingers become mush under stress.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the overhand method seen here demonstrated by Clint Smith: Loading from empty

It results in more pressure than just pushing down on the slide lock to load the top round and I've seen plenty of worn out slide notches. It won't be a problem if the slide stop is softer than the slide or for low volume shooters. Competition shooters who shoot and practice more in a week than most people in a year use it, but I'm sure they're also changing out parts more often.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Read your manual.  Glocks do not have a "slide release".  It has a slide stop.  You are then supposed to "sling shot" the slide to chamber the next round.  If you just thumb down the lock, then you may not have enough momentum to fully seat the next round and possibly fire a round out of battery.
Once you've trained doing the sling shot method it's faster than changing your grip to thumb the slide lock.

Other guns are different, but this is what is recommended for Glocks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input guys.

I prefer releasing the slidestop......especially if the slide is already in the open position. The older I get too with hand injuries, the harder it is for me to grasp the back of that tight baby Glock slide with my thumb and index finger.
I forgot to mention that my Glock 33 recoil spring has been increased from the standard 16lbs, to a Wolf 20lb spring to handle stout loads. The gun works great, but that 20lb sprng sure doesn't make it any easier for me to grasp  the slide back.

EDIT;
Samuel A.,
I'm pretty sure that my Glock manual explains to proceed doing it in either manner. Don't know if this is with all Glocks, but it is with my 4 month old Gen 4 G33. Thanks.

EDIT, EDIT;
Yea, I just doublechecked. It's on Page 13 of my manual. They say either way.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read your manual.  Glocks do not have a "slide release".  It has a slide stop.  You are then supposed to "sling shot" the slide to chamber the next round.  If you just thumb down the lock, then you may not have enough momentum to fully seat the next round and possibly fire a round out of battery.
Once you've trained doing the sling shot method it's faster than changing your grip to thumb the slide lock.

View Quote

Is that why they offer an extended slide catch for many of their models?

ETA: This conversation goes in circles year after year. I'm fairly certain it's the new hotness to release the catch with your non firing thumb as the support hand goes into battery.

I'll reiterate, if a gun stops working when using the slide catch it's time for a new recoil spring.

I also prefer over-hand vs thumb and fore finger for sling shotting. I understand that method came to be popular because untrained individuals tend to point the weapon sideways when grasping it over-hand, which results in it being pointed at other shooters on the line. Thus, it was easier to get the untrained to keep it pointed down range using thumb and fore finger.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had to stop slide releasing on my walther p22 because it was killing the notch.  I try not to stress any of my other weapons...opting for the sling shot.
View Quote

This is because the slide of the P22 is not steel, it is the zinc alloy ZAMAK.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a G19 so I have the manual handy. They call the lever a "Slide Stop Lever" and slingshoting to use the slide stop lever to chamber a round are Ok per the manual.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Either are fine OP.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#18]
either is fine, practice with both.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Do it with a Kahr, as that is the way they designed the pistol. All others, slingshot.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys.

I prefer releasing the slidestop......especially if the slide is already in the open position. The older I get too with hand injuries, the harder it is for me to grasp the back of that tight baby Glock slide with my thumb and index finger.
I forgot to mention that my Glock 33 recoil spring has been increased from the standard 16lbs, to a Wolf 20lb spring to handle stout loads. The gun works great, but that 20lb sprng sure doesn't make it any easier for me to grasp  the slide back.

EDIT;
Samuel A.,
I'm pretty sure that my Glock manual explains to proceed doing it in either manner. Don't know if this is with all Glocks, but it is with my 4 month old Gen 4 G33. Thanks.

EDIT, EDIT;
Yea, I just doublechecked. It's on Page 13 of my manual. They say either way.

View Quote

I am pretty sure Sam A doesn't know what he is talking about.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd do what the manual says.

I have seen a lot of worn out slide stops, and slide stop notches on a lot of 1911's. I slingshot all autos, because it puts less wear on the stop/notch (except Kahr, since they recommend it) and it works with whatever pistol you're using, be it 1911, Sig, Glock, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Of course, the technical term is "slide stop," not "slide release."  

I'm a fan of slingshoting, since the standard Glock slide stop is not conducive to flipping it with your thumb.  And I don't like the extended slide stop.

Slide stops on most 1911s, on the other hand, are.

Do whatever floats your boat.  Neither one will hurt the gun.
View Quote

Browning's patent actually refers to it a both.
It also points out the checkering on the top of the lever to aid in using it as a release even with gloves on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
No, I've been doing it for almost 50 years with all sorts of pistols without any difficulties.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have seen a lot of worn out slide stops, and slide stop notches on a lot of 1911's. I slingshot all autos, because it puts less wear on the stop/notch (except Kahr, since they recommend it) and it works with whatever pistol you're using, be it 1911, Sig, Glock, etc.
View Quote

I can't imagine where you are seeing those slide stops. I shoot a lot with other people who shoot a lot. Like 10s of thousands a year. I have never seen a slide stop notch worn out from dropping the slide with the slide stop. Seems really strange. What guns are you seeing these on?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I slingshot/power stroke only because it's universal to autos and it's how I've practiced.

Sigs have the most conveniently located slide lock IMO. Even so, if I had one I'd probably still slingshot it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I sling shot all of mine, but do not see an issue using the slide lock/release. I do it while shooting one handed with the dominant or non dominant hand.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#27]
What is the consensus on using the slide lock to release the slide without a mag or round to load in?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the consensus on using the slide lock to release the slide without a mag or round to load in?
View Quote

I don't know about the consensus, but I don't drop the slide like that on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to know that too. I prefer to use the release lever to feed live rounds, and slingshot the slide by hand with less force when there's no rounds to be chambered. Without a cartridige, it makes me feel like there is too much slamming of metal onto metal with no cartridge to buffer the impact.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have read the GLOCK manual. You?

GLOCK Manual, Loading and Firing:

4. After the last round has been fired, the slide remains open. Remove the empty magazine from
the weapon by pushing the magazine catch (19). Insert a new magazine and then either push
the slide stop lever (27) downwards (see photo), or pull the slide slightly backwards and allow it
to spring forwards. The weapon is now again secured and ready to fire.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd like to know that too. I prefer to use the release lever to feed live rounds, and slingshot the slide by hand with less force when there's no rounds to be chambered. Without a cartridige, it makes me feel like there is too much slamming of metal onto metal with no cartridge to buffer the impact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not an issue at all. The slide moves much faster and with more force when chambering a round during firing than when it's released by hand at the full stroke on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad got on to me as a kid for dropping the slide on an empty chamber, so I always ride the slide forward when I'm not chambering a round.  I'm sure there's a reason that older guys like my dad say that, but on a modern gun it won't hurt anything to let it slam shut.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I never knew of a difference between the "slingshot" vs the "powerstroke" method. I in fact use the over-hand or powerstroke method as it turns out when I am using two hands.

Cheers!

-JC
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My dad got on to me as a kid for dropping the slide on an empty chamber, so I always ride the slide forward when I'm not chambering a round.  I'm sure there's a reason that older guys like my dad say that, but on a modern gun it won't hurt anything to let it slam shut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't let the slide slam on an empty gun. I'm all for getting out and running the shit out of a gun but why put excessive ware on your gun for no reason? I would guess with modern guns its probably not that big of a deal but on older ones I would guess it could cause issue.  I'm no gunsmith but I'v heard a few 'gunsmiths' say slamming the slide of a 1911 could mess up a trigger job.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Both are fine.  Do not ease the slide home, let it have the full travel .
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm learning to use the slide stop more.  For some reason overhanding is what feels natural to me, so I do it.  But I've got no problem using the slide stop.  I shoot an m9 a lot and that thing is in a position that you don't need to move your firing hand to operate.  Or you could use your non firing hand, which is pretty handy too.  

I've heard it's not good to do it on an empty chamber.  I'm sure a few times won't kill it, but it's not really necessary to do anyways, so....  I try not to do it.  I need to get some dummy rounds for practicing reloads though.  

Only thing I want to add to the conversation, which has been done to death too, but just keep in mind that you can get bullet setback when loading a gun.  Many people don't recommend loading the same round over and over again if you're loading and unloading for carrying.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I use whatever is easier. For me that's the slide stop/release on my Sig P226 and "power stroke" on my M&P 9
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's designed to be used that way, and most trainers these days will tell you that it is the proper way.  There are still some who cling to the "slingshot" or "power stroke" method.  Neither will damage the gun.  Do whichever works best for you.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
The correct answer is to charge the pistol in the most efficient manner.  

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber is not recommended outside of safety &/or function checks.  The moves faster because there is no resistance from stripping a round from the mag, getting it under the extractor, and into the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't drop the slide on an empty chamber using either the slide stop or by 'sling-shooting' the slide, preferring to close the slide in a more gentle fashion under this scenario.

On most handguns, either method will work just fine when chambering a round out of the magazine.  I usually use the slide-stop...

The exceptions are handguns where the manufacturer specifically recommends not using the slide stop, like the KelTec PMR-30.

But the list of such exceptions is relatively short...

Forrest

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#41]
"Slam a Cartridge Home"?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can't imagine where you are seeing those slide stops. I shoot a lot with other people who shoot a lot. Like 10s of thousands a year. I have never seen a slide stop notch worn out from dropping the slide with the slide stop. Seems really strange. What guns are you seeing these on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something with pretty poor metallurgy like the pot metal Walther P22 someone had an issue with would be about the only reason.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:41:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I use the slide stop/release almost exclusively because it's faster for me and I have long enough thumbs to reach it with strong hand.

Both are fine.  All that matters is getting a fresh round in the chamber quickly.

This is one of the sillier things about which we become entrenched in our opinion and preach dogma.  Pick one and rock on.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Something with pretty poor metallurgy like the pot metal Walther P22 someone had an issue with would be about the only reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As the tolerance between the stop pin and the frame on a 1911 gets looser the contact area gets smaller and smaller (look up tangent).
I have seen heavily used 1911s with a decent oval for the hole.
One of the reasons they make oversize pin slide stops.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As the tolerance between the stop pin and the frame on a 1911 gets looser the contact area gets smaller and smaller (look up tangent).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So not using the slide stop to release the slide prevents this?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]
The only goal is to strip a round from the magazine, feed it into the chamber, close the slide to full engagement, and fire.

For Glocks, Mr. Gaston Glock liked the sling shot method because it gives an extra 3/16" or so slide travel before the slide hits the top round in the magazine.  A running start.  Supposedly more reliable.  The generous over travel before the slide hits the frame in semi auto function is one of the reasons Glocks function nearly 100%.  A lot of slide speed and a lot of dwell time for the top magazine round to rise up.

In 1997 when the FBI bought Glocks, they specificied the extended slide release and taught/teach the slide stop down method of dropping the slide on a full magazine  just like they did with 1911s previously or Smiths previously.  Insert magazine, mash slide release/stop/hold open, shoot.

In seeing kazillion rounds fired with Glocks at training, I never saw one fail to close and fire using the slide stop.

As a practical matter, some firearms have almost zero difference between the slide stop notch and the slingshot.  The notch is so far to the open that the slingshot gives it no more slide run before contacting the rim.  Try a Shield sometime.

If your firearm is so fragile that the slide stop ruins the slide or vice-versa, buy a different one from a manufacturer that understands heat treating.

This is why some of the new aluminum slide, plastic bottomed pistols have a little STEEL pin in the aluminum slide to take the stress of the slide release/stop/hold open.  Its also why Advantage Arms .22 Glock converters have a steel insert in the same location for their aluminum frames.

You will go broke buying ammo long before you wear out a slide stop notch in a quality firearm.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#48]
For me, it's a slide stop. I train using the power stroke method. Fine vs gross motor skills under stress and all that
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:02:09 AM EDT
[#49]

On my Luger I use the slingshot method since there is no external slide stop lever.

On other pistols I do whatever way my brain defaults to at that moment. I used to use the slide stop almost exclusively but lots of slingshot training makes my brain default to it most of the time now.

I notice some pistol and AR15 operators using the slingshot method because of training scars, even for tactical reloads.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:37:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No, I've been doing it for almost 50 years with all sorts of pistols without any difficulties.

View Quote

Same here!
Except I started shooting pistols in 89!

Before that I was a revolver man. Well I kind a still  am since I carry a M642 in my pocket
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top