Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 2:15:17 PM EDT
Was reading an article by Hilton Yam about blacking out the dots on the rear sight. I've found it really does make the front sight quicker and easier for me to pick up.

If you use a black sharpie; it will allow tritium dots to still show up in the dark. It's also pretty easy to clean off if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's what I've always done for handguns where I'm not allowed to change the sights, or I don't want to spend money on a replacement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
After putting on Defoor sights on a new pistol, I have come to despise anything but plain black on the rear sight. I still have not come to a conclusion as to what I like best on the front, but plain black on the rear sight is a definite for me.

I am going to change the sights on another couple of pistols once I decide on the front sight I want.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the first things I do to a newly acquired pistol.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
So, I am not the only one.

Good to know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
XS big dots for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
yes
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm the opposite.  I paint my white dots with neon nail polish that my daughter has
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I paint my front sight orange (around the white dot).  That makes the front sight much easier to aquire (in general, not just relative to the rears), keeps the dots for more precision shooting if needed.

I can certainly see the benefit of making the front more noticeable than the rear, but it makes much more sense to me to make the front stand out MORE than normal rather than keeping the front the same and making the rear less noticeable.

Everyone will have something that works best for them, but if you ever shoot a revolver with the bright red blade front sight you'll appreciate how they stand out.

ETA:  my sights
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I black out the rears too. The only sights I have with any markings on the rear are my Big Dots with the thin vertical stripe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got the rear dots blacked out on the M&P 9 that I carry.   I'm not a big fan of 3 dot sights where the rear dots are more eye catching than the front dot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Ameriglo hackathorns
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Was reading an article by Hilton Yam about blacking out the dots on the rear sight. I've found it really does make the front sight quicker and easier for me to pick up.

If you use a black sharpie; it will allow tritium dots to still show up in the dark. It's also pretty easy to clean off if you don't like it.
View Quote

It's what works for you. Personally, with Tritiums in low light I always put the front sight with no problem on target and forget the rears anyway on anything 10 yards and closer. Regular shooting with M&P's I do the same at the range and IDPA. The rears simply don't distract me. For shooting longer distances I like to have the dots. It's all about getting used to what your "used" to doing. Do what works for you...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I work night and like a full set of night sights. Dots on all never bothers me and I don't have problems getting the front mixed up or putting it on target.

Quoted:
I paint my front sight orange (around the white dot).  That makes the front sight much easier to aquire (in general, not just relative to the rears), keeps the dots for more precision shooting if needed.

I can certainly see the benefit of making the front more noticeable than the rear, but it makes much more sense to me to make the front stand out MORE than normal rather than keeping the front the same and making the rear less noticeable.

Everyone will have something that works best for them, but if you ever shoot a revolver with the bright red blade front sight you'll appreciate how they stand out.

ETA:  my sights
http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad262/gusandson/Firearms/Sights/PA230102.jpg
View Quote

Now I do like that.... What do you use to paint it red?
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Testor's model paint.  You need a fine brush and I use a magnifying glass to pain around the dot without covering it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Here I thought I was being original in only having a front white dot...  Oh well, I guess I'm in with the cool kids now.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#17]
First thing I did to my 92A1.  I can't stand white dots in the rear or the Glock U.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top