BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tough as nails, hardly has to be fixed or change springs you say?

USP9 or USP45 Tactical. As a bonus, you're okay to use .45 Super in the 45 without mods. Suppressor ready, more accurate...WAY more accurate, hardly breaks  than glocks, much better triggers.

ETA: No plastic sights, no staple gun triggers, does not need aftermarket parts. If striker, VP9. But you've got CZ, you're fine as is then, no need to change things.
View Quote

Have you not had to use Wolff Extra Power mag replacement springs to keep up with the extra slide velocity as to avoid stove pipes yet? What is the recoil spring poundage rating of the USP45 tactical, between 16 & 18lbs I'm betting? I know it's a completely different platform and all... but I converted a "NM" serial # prefix Springfield 1911 to .45Super(awesome caliber btw).  It too is rated to shoot .45Super out of the box. I swapped a 23lb recoil spring before attempting to shoot the Super as to not beat up the slide and frame. However, soon enough I started experiencing stovepipes on a pistol that had thousands of rounds of .45acp without a hiccup. Once I changed the mag springs to Wolff Extra Power all was well again with a reliable woods gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Seems everyone is loving the Glocks. Any love for the CZ SP-01 or am I alone in being intrigued by them??
View Quote

Although I don't own a CZ... I get plenty of opportunity to shoot one regularly; My mother in laws CZ75BSA. That's what she decided on when shopping for her (1) and only firearm after trying/renting (10) different manufacturers or so. CZ's are great and if I wasn't so heavily invested in M&P's and my one semi customer 1911, I'd have (5) CZ's...
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Have you not had to use Wolff Extra Power mag replacement springs to keep up with the extra slide velocity as to avoid stove pipes yet? What is the recoil spring poundage rating of the USP45 tactical, between 16 & 18lbs I'm betting? I know it's a completely different platform and all... but I converted a "NM" serial # prefix Springfield 1911 to .45Super(awesome caliber btw).  It too is rated to shoot .45Super out of the box. I swapped a 23lb recoil spring before attempting to shoot the Super as to not beat up the slide and frame. However, soon enough I started experiencing stovepipes on a pistol that had thousands of rounds of .45acp without a hiccup. Once I changed the mag springs to Wolff Extra Power all was well again with a reliable woods gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tough as nails, hardly has to be fixed or change springs you say?

USP9 or USP45 Tactical. As a bonus, you're okay to use .45 Super in the 45 without mods. Suppressor ready, more accurate...WAY more accurate, hardly breaks  than glocks, much better triggers.

ETA: No plastic sights, no staple gun triggers, does not need aftermarket parts. If striker, VP9. But you've got CZ, you're fine as is then, no need to change things.

I have a 20 from Wolff, never heard of the 23 for it. I like running +P bonded HST so I have two rod/spring set's that I switch out between  (20) octane & super octane and normal (16-18 stock) rounds.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I like how people worry about being able to shoot 1,000s of rounds without parts replacement in TEOTWAWKI. 1) if zombies did magically appear you aren't going to be blowing 100s of rounds a weekend shooting dirtclods and 2) you should have spare parts. Period.

Any quality handgun would be fine. Me? G17

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a full size go with the Glock 22 and 23 for the compact.

40 cal

Get a 9mm and 357 sig barrel from Lone Wolf.

Get a 22 conversion kit.  

4 calibers on one frame.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#6]
End of the World?

HK Mark 23

If it breaks I'll pick up a Glock. They'll be all over the place.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:23:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
End of the World?

HK Mark 23

View Quote

The Mk23, the only pistol that's a sidearm to itself.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:38:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Striker Fired, Polymer 9.

Glock or M&P

G19 for me.  

CCW with it, shoot matches with it.  It does it all.  

I have multiples (back ups for my backup).  I share mags, spare parts (which I've never had to use), holsters, etc.  If one gets stolen, lost, worn out - no big deal.

So my collection is rather 1 dimensional and boring but I get 1 manual of arms and 1 gun to logistically support.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
HK or Glock for me.  No way I'd want a 1911 in that scenario.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
End of the World?

HK Mark 23

View Quote

Why would they be all over the place?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#11]
CZ-75
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you ever watched Cops, or visited a busy pistol range?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My EDC is a 9mm Shield and my HD pistol is a M&P 9 FS. Work the same, just different sizes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#14]
a true SHTF senario where as its long term, I feel sorry for those who think a non popular gun is going to serve them well.
"True", ammo will be scarce And shooting will be limited, but limited cleanings and Abuse will be common place.
Why not get a gun that has easy to get parts and repair and is common place if you are getting a handgun for SHTF?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer hammer fired metal guns, with a manual safety if possible.

For me:

Beretta M9/92
1911 (Colt)
Browning Hi-Power would be the next contender
CZ-75 of some sort
SIG probably the P226 SAO, or the P220 stainless with some sort of black finish (.45ACP guns would benefit from a steel frame).
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
a true SHTF senario where as its long term, I feel sorry for those who think a non popular gun is going to serve them well.
"True", ammo will be scarce And shooting will be limited, but limited cleanings and Abuse will be common place.
Why not get a gun that has easy to get parts and repair and is common place if you are getting a handgun for SHTF?
View Quote
And I laugh at those who actually truly believe that they will be in endless gun battles everyday in a SHTF scenario. What, you really think that you're going to be on a hunter/kill setting where everyone is a bad guy while you patrol your turf and looking for any reason to mag dump people?

Have a stash of ammo, train with your chosen pistol, do periodic PMCS on your gun, and stay up to date with with technology if there's a better aftermarket part.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]

In 1994, when the Assault Weapons ban was about to be put into effect, I decided to buy a high capacity pistol. I expected it to be the last such gun I might ever buy, and wanted something to last for the rest of my life, through TEOTWAWKI.

I finally bought two HK USPs. Spare parts, just in case.

They still work.

Try a HK P30 or VP9 or even the USP series.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
If you really encounter a SHTF -- where lead is flying from every direction, it won't really matter- you probably won't live long enough for the handgun brand to matter (true for most here including myself). If going against military or law enforcement- you WON'T Win. If going against a law-less society SHTF scenario then all your brothers on these forums most likely may be throwing lead your way.

In the short run- any quality handgun will suffice (practice and have ammo and know how to use it).   Best bet is have a rifle or perhaps shotgun and know how to use it. In the end either one most likely will belong to someone else unless you are really experienced and have skills to survive.

Let's hope SHTF never happens

.  Flame on    
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 11:50:21 PM EDT
[#19]
G21SF
Factory threaded barrel
AAC TiRant 45
TLR-1 HL
Heine night sights on the way...

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For that role...

If you want 45acp, Glock 41 or Glock 21

If you want 9mm Glock 34 or Glock 17
View Quote

No doubt about it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No doubt about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For that role...

No doubt about it.

Personally, I'd select an HK USP45 Tactical or HK45 Tactical as a .45ACP handgun.

In 9mm flavors, I'd say G17/G34 or the P30L.  That said, I'm planning on selling my HK45c as I don't want to (and can't afford) to stock up on both calibers.  

I am liking my Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical from Wilson Combat, though, and it would be an awesome pistol to slay zombies in style with.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not a Glock fanboy, as I have other brands than my Glock 23 but I would say Glock for reliability.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#23]
P226, mk25

or

M11A1
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for Mark23. Long-barrel in 45ACP, reliability, accuracy, quality... and no need to worry about spare parts!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Did anyone say Glock yet?  And F the spare parts...buy cheap LEO trade ins and stack 'em deep.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
After handling the P226 and as much as I'm an HK believer...hands off the Sig 226 is the best of them all. The high flip is an internet myth, it handles well, shoots ultra smooth in SA and follow up shots are just as fast and accurate as my VP9. The 226 even feels like it was made for your hands, awesome 9x19 gun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After handling the P226 and as much as I'm an HK believer...hands off the Sig 226 is the best of them all. The high flip is an internet myth, it handles well, shoots ultra smooth in SA and follow up shots are just as fast and accurate as my VP9. The 226 even feels lkike it was made for your hands, awesome 9x19 gun.
View Quote

Awesome. I'm glad you finally got to get your hands on the 226. My MK25 will always be one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Awesome. I'm glad you finally got to get your hands on the 226. My MK25 will always be one of my favorites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After handling the P226 and as much as I'm an HK believer...hands off the Sig 226 is the best of them all. The high flip is an internet myth, it handles well, shoots ultra smooth in SA and follow up shots are just as fast and accurate as my VP9. The 226 even feels lkike it was made for your hands, awesome 9x19 gun.

I almost feel as if I've been turned to the dark side

Thanks for your help, it was a good direction to go in.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Every gun listed, people rely on and trust to perform if things go bad.

All are used by some Mil/LEO agency somewhere and are popular with civilians for competition and defence, for a reason.

They're all excellent weapons.

Honestly you cant make a bad choice.

I have both glocks and cz's. I trust them both completely.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a Po po trade in Smith and Wesson 5906. Built like a tank, feeds anything, won't rust and has 17 round available Mec-Gar mags
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice choice
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#32]
It's all a matter of personal preference OP.  I'm not going to argue the reliability of any of the guns mentioned, as they are all decently designed guns.  I PREFER either single action 1911s, or striker fired guns such as Glock and Smith and Wesson.  I PREFER not to have manual safety on my striker fired pistols. I PREFER not to have a double/single action gun with a decocker.  I am not saying that the CZs, Berettas, etc aren't as good, as Glocks, M&Ps etc, they just don't meet my preferences.

Actually, I'll take part of that back.  I hate the Beretta with it's open slide design.  My first time out in Afghanistan my slide got so full of sand that was being blown around that I couldn't even pull the slide back to disassemble it.  So I avoid Berettas at all costs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Get an M&P in .40.
Get a factory 9mm barrel for it.

Done.

I have never ever had a single failure shooting 9mm out of my .357 Sig M&P with only a barrel swap. I even use the .40/.357 magazines.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
S&W 686 4" or 6"

why?

1. 100% stainless steel,no rust possible

2. easy to get hits with out to 100 meters

3. takes 357 & 38 spc both common calibers

4. no mags to lose or break

5. 357 is a good enough hunting round so game can be taken

View Quote

Good points but stinless can still rust.  You can also have timing issues with revolvers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#35]
For SHTF I'd go Glock 17 or 34 with 33 round mags.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#36]
CZ SP-01 and CZ P-01 and my Gen3 G17.  There will be pistols stashed everywhere on my 6 acre homestead.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Glock, duh.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Glock, duh.
View Quote

Yeah, Glock makes most sense for being able to trade or pickup spare mags and such.  
Everybody should have at least one, a G19!

But if you want a few really decent inexpensive handguns to keep stored somewhere for a just in case scenarios, those PPXs for $279 are hard to beat, with $100 value pack of third free magazine, holster and mag holster thrown in.  They look fugly as can be, but they sure seem to work, from all the videos...
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#39]
THE ONLY ANSWER IS A GLOCK 21
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
THE ONLY ANSWER IS A GLOCK 21
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm with you there on the spare parts. After looking at CZ Custom's website last night I actually stumbled upon spare parts kits for the SP-01 which look pretty comprehensive. Even though the Glock 17 is what most seem to be pushing, it's difficult for me not to lean towards the SP-01 with it being CZ's latest and greatest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Glock hater and they certainly have a good track record, but CZ's goes back wayyyy farther with their own reputation being just as good if not better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one thing I will say is unless you have spare parts for your gun, in a shtf situation they pretty much won't exist. Seems like most have the theory they will be pulling guns out of dead peoples hands and using them for parts.

For my berettas I have a few replacement springs and a spare locking block already. So I'm good to go.

I'm with you there on the spare parts. After looking at CZ Custom's website last night I actually stumbled upon spare parts kits for the SP-01 which look pretty comprehensive. Even though the Glock 17 is what most seem to be pushing, it's difficult for me not to lean towards the SP-01 with it being CZ's latest and greatest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Glock hater and they certainly have a good track record, but CZ's goes back wayyyy farther with their own reputation being just as good if not better.

Yes,

But can you rebuild the CZ?  Replace fire control components etc?
One of the beauties of the M&P / Glock is that everything is drop in modular parts.
I can completely disassemble and replace every part on those guns with new / different parts using just a couple of punches and a hammer.

That's one of the reasons I own an M&P.  I'd never look to a 1911, or anything that requires fine part fitting for your purposes.
While I haven't personally done detail work on a CZ, I do own one and I'm fairly familiar with the guts.
A gun with an external hammer and thumb safety or decocker is going to have more parts, more critical contact surfaces and be more complicated to rebuild should you need to.

Plus, because of the huge population out there, Glock & M&P parts are dirt cheap.  You can easily afford to keep spares of everything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is the answer....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For that role...

This is the answer....

Glock 20 is the answer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Glock 20 is the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For that role...

This is the answer....

Glock 20 is the answer.
For you, good stuff. I'd rather have a 9x19 meaning more to carry and more prevelant...but not in a Glock. VP9 or M&P because that is the only two choices in concerns to myself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For you, good stuff. I'd rather have a 9x19 meaning more to carry and more prevelant...but not in a Glock. VP9 or M&P because that is the only two choices in concerns to myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For that role...

This is the answer....

Glock 20 is the answer.

I often say that the Glock 20 is the only Glock worth owning.  I was talking about the Glock brand specifically.

I didn't care for the M&P I rented a while back. I would gladly take a P226, USP, or CZ75 into TEOTWAWKI
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I do not understand the rationale of picking a "common" firearm with the expectation that you are going to be able to find parts / magazines.  Any spare parts you're likely to encounter will still be attached to a functioning firearm.  And the aforementioned firearm will most likely be attached to someone who is not keen on giving it up.  

Personally, at this point I would likely choose my Glock 19, only because I trust it slightly more than my Cz-P01.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:58:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I do not understand the rationale of picking a "common" firearm with the expectation that you are going to be able to find parts / magazines.  Any spare parts you're likely to encounter will still be attached to a functioning firearm.  And the aforementioned firearm will most likely be attached to someone who is not keen on giving it up.

View Quote
Now, now, here you go with logic.

Actually one of the best posts here so far.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd go with the Beretta 92F.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I own a P226 MK25, a P226, and a G17. I have no need for another handgun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I own a P226 MK25, a P226, and a G17. I have no need for another handgun.
View Quote

Since when is it about need?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been a Glock fanboy through and through forever.  My first call for a SHTF gun would obviously be a 17, or if you really wanted "fullsize" even a 34.

Lately though, I have been giving a lot of thought to long-term sustainability for your gun.  I recently bought a Beretta 92FS.  The thinking is that these guns are battle tested and proven to be tough.  You also have the added benefit that in a true SHTF situation, there is a good likelyhood that a lot of battlefield pickups you will find with be M9s as well.  This would give you a good source of spare parts, mags, and ammo.  Just my $.02.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top